Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Contents:
1st story/chapter - Inheritance (遺産) - 13
2nd story/chapter - Arch-enemy (宿敵) - 79
3rd story/chapter - Decision (決断) - 123
4th story/chapter - Destiny (運命) - 157
5th story/chapter - a Flash (閃光) - 181
6th story/chapter - a Chance Meeting (邂逅) - 205
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Hello.
In japanese festival songs there're usually some meaningless words that
are there only to give rhythm to the song itself. How would you put them in English?
I have this サのヨイヨイ as the closing sentence in a flyer advertising a folk dance event
and this is the song where it comes from
http://www.katch.ne.jp/~sano/dobuita/newpage19.htm
It's just an interjected chant without significant meaning.
Something like 'Yeah Yeah' or 'That's Right' might work.
 

EnigmaticRepose

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Anyone mind if I get their take on 銃と剣が際限なく湧く「領地」をもち? I'm particularly interested in the 湧く part. If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to know what the sentence means with and without it (if it even changes the meaning).
 

Callaghan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 16, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
5
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Anyone mind if I get their take on 銃と剣が際限なく湧く「領地」をもち? I'm particularly interested in the 湧く part. If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to know what the sentence means with and without it (if it even changes the meaning).
This is probably wrong, but I wanted to try :hip



Do you possess the "territoy" in wich swords and guns are produced without a pause?
(湧く is literally to gush forth but I translated with being produced, well it's a metaphore I think or a weird fantasy manga XD)

Btw sure I'm not :yoda
 

Guren no heya kara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Hello again, I've got a problem with a sentence.
A guy suggests to this one who's talking to give some of his paddy field fine
earth to other people to mix it with theirs that seems to lack the nutrients
and stuff to make crops grow. He thinks that mixing the two types together
maybe will work. The other guy is very pissed and starts hitting him and then he says:

俺にとっての
この土に相当するモンが
お前にもあるだろう?

Basically I don't know what meaning to give to that "soutou suru".
To be worthy? To suit? To be proper?
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

This is probably wrong, but I wanted to try :hip

Do you possess the "territoy" in wich swords and guns are produced without a pause?
...
Pretty close to bang on, but this seems like a sentence that is said in a very old-fashioned way, referring indirectly to the presence of weapons, rather than to their production.
Essentially, it's best translated as something like, 'You/I possess a territory with an endless fountain of guns and swords'.

Note that the question mark belongs to 'Anyone mind if... ?', and not to the japanese provided. The key to translating the sentence is to keep it as natural sounding as possible, but still give it that old-fashioned samurai tone that it has. The way the sentence is said, it is very similar in tone to kung-fu masters in cheesy karate movies who might be caught saying 'The land has suffered the wrath of men' and other excessively clunky analogies/personifications.
 
Last edited:

Sollum

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
711
Reaction score
358
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Good evening lads.

There was one song from Totoro i liked, and i wonder its meaning. Wikipedia says it's

"The Huge Tree in the Tsukamori Forest" (塚森の大樹 Tsukamori no Taiju?)

How do you translate "Tsukamori"?
Is it not translatable word? Or is it name of a forest? E.g. "Forest of Linkoln"

Thanks in advance! :)
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Good evening lads.

There was one song from Totoro i liked, and i wonder its meaning. Wikipedia says it's

"The Huge Tree in the Tsukamori Forest" (塚森の大樹 Tsukamori no Taiju?)

How do you translate "Tsukamori"?
Is it not translatable word? Or is it name of a forest? E.g. "Forest of Linkoln"

Thanks in advance! :)
You don't need to translate 塚森 since it is just a name of a place (forest) in the anime. It means 塚 (a mound; a hillock) + 森 (woods). Tokyo (東京) means east capital, but you don't translate it likewise.
 

Guren no heya kara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

1 Retsu!! Date-senpai (The Violent Date-senpai!!) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=84049
2 Shinmai fukei Kiruko-san (Novice Policewoman Kiruko-san) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=87514
3 Kurokuroku [probably a pun on kuro "black" and kuroku "to blacken"] by Nakamura Atsushi.
4 Saiki Kusuo no PSI nan [there's a pun on PSI read "sai". Combined with "nan" you get "sainan", calamity, misfortune, disaster...] http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=78019
 

trunkschan90

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 20, 2011
Messages
49
Reaction score
3
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Need help in translating these four preview pages: Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sohma Riku

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Need help in translating these four preview pages: Thanks in advance.
This is what I make of it, hope it helps:

After the meeting

Big nose: Now that the Cold War has ended // an era of peace will begin.
Guy: Dr. Gillmore // Socialism isn't our only enemy.
----
Box: Representative of France [RoF]
RoF: From here on out military power, espionage activities, and most of all nuclear power will become even more important..
Box: Representative of UK. [RoUK]
RoUK: We should not forget it's possible that a new enemy will appear...
Big Nose: Please be at rest. // Please keep a close eye on // our 00number Cyborg.
----
Big nose: I should say it's more effective than anything // those "small United Nations forces" can do.
Big nose: From here on we will maintain world peace. // Therefore I would like to ask everyone here // to change course and disarm their nation.
Box: Representative of the USA [RoUS]
RoUS: That's the problem!!
-----------------
RoUS: Their power // is said to be compare with the military power of a small country.
RoUS: You are in command of that incredibly strong 00number cyborg. No one can guarantee us that you won't turn out // to be the world's next threat.
Big Nose: !!
Big Nose: ...you, // ... How dare you...!?
Girl: That...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

@ALL

Please read the opening post for instruction of this thread. A request should be a single page or less. Thanks!
 

Guren no heya kara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

Hello.
I can't figure out what the verbs in the red-dotted bubble are due to the raws bad quality. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of japanese could do it...

The other three should be norou, eguru and korosu.
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

The top one and the one on the right are also 殺ス. The bottom one on the left is 裂ク.
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for Non-translators)

I really didn't want to see your request go unanswered, so I started working on this yesterday. With the help of a discerning eye, a good dictionary and a bit of intuition, I was able to translate one of the pages. I'll start working on the author's comments later on, but I'm tired tonight. The hardest part was determining the kanji, not the translation itself. Anyways, here's the first translation without the title ribbon completed. I'll edit in the title ribbon text later in bold. Here you go:

Sherlock Holmes:
青山剛昌の名探偵図鑑
Gōshō Aoyama's Great Detective Dossier

シャーロック・ホームズ
Sherlock Holmes

小説家コナン・ドイルが生み出した名探偵(めいたんてい)の代名詞(だいめいし)ともいえる不滅の探偵、 それがシャーロック・ホームズだ!!
The immortal detective imagined by novelist Conan Doyle and what some call the epitome of a great detective is Sherlock Holmes!!

常に冷静沈着な彼は、優れた観察力(かんさつりょく)と推理力(すいりりょく)の持ち主で、剣術の達人である。
He is a master swordsman with an always calm composure and with extraordinary powers of observation and deduction.

暇なときは、ベーカー町221番地Bの自室でパイプをふかし続けているが、依頼を一度受けると、獲物を狙う狼のごとく、エネルギッシュに活動を開始する!!
With his spare time, he smokes his pipe in the sanctity of his room in 221B, Baker Street, but whenever he receives a request, he goes in for the kill just like a wolf, energetically bursting into action!!

難解な事件ほど知的興奮を覚える彼は女性にはあまり興味がないらしい……
He, who feels intellectual stimulation from tackling intangible situations, doesn’t seem very interested in women……

得意の「初歩的なことだよ」のフレーズでいつも相棒のワトソン博士はいじめられているが、愛読者の私もその一人だ。
His pal Dr. Watson is always being teased by Sherlock's favourite phrase, ‘it’s elementary’ and being an avid reader, I like to use the phrase as well.

(私のオススメは「四つの署名」)
(My recommendation is “The Sign of the Four”)

Aoyama Presents:
青山剛昌
どーも、青山です。
とにかく子供の頃から探偵が大好きで、書店で「ホームズ」や「名探偵」の文字を見かけると、思わず手にとってしまうぐらいはまっていました。そんな俺が知恵をしぼって作ったこの作品、はたしてあなたは、コナンより先に事件を解くことができるかな?(なんてね…)

Gōshō Aoyama Presents
Hey there, I’m Mr. Aoyama.
Anyways, because I loved detectives from my childhood, whenever I’d go to the bookstore and see the names of great detectives like Holmes, I’d pick them up without thinking and then get addicted to them. I put all my wisdom into these stories, so I wonder if any of you managed to solve the cases before Conan could? (…What am I saying)
 
Last edited:

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Alright, thanks for the high quality image. I'll start working on that one tomorrow and afterwards, I'll do the other volume one image.

-- Translation Placeholder --
I'll edit the translation into here when I finish
 
Top