Shounen Silver Spoon by Arakawa Hiromu

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I liked it.It seems to be a nice slice-of-life and i'll definitly follow it weekly,as i'm a fan of this genre.Slice-of-life manga usually don't have exciting first chapters,so i'm looking forward to see what Arakawa will do next.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

This was a big change from Hagaren, to say the least :) Not in a bad way, but nothing much actually happened in this chapter, since it was spent introducing the characters and laying the groundwork. I can't wait to see what exactly the manga is about, what the overarching plot is, what the final goal is... If Arakawa-sensei is really the kind of mangaka she proved herself to be with Hagaren and that wasn't just a fluke/whatever, she should already have the end in mind.

The PE teacher... :XD Armstrong ftw! Seeing how Arakawa-sensei used to drop easter eggs by randomly drawing the Curtis couple traveling the country and cameo-ing in random cities, I wonder if there might be little cameos of the Hagaren gang here and there in Gin no Saji, starting with this Armstrong PE teacher (though this isn't exactly a "cameo" per se) :p

So far, it's fairly interesting, the jokes funny, the artwork nostalgic... But it's not an instant winner yet. Crossing my fingers that Arakawa-sensei will turn it into gold (or silver?) from here on out.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Seems like Armstrong has not completely disappeared. Well as a boy who used to lived in a rural area, I wonder how I will react to this manga. The big part about animal cloning was kinda out of place. I know it was in a middle of joke but it was a bit too sci-fi wrt the rest of the chapter
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

It's not really Sci-Fi, since that's the direction the fishery and agriculture research is moving.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

It's not ready to hapen anytime soon. And cloning has no interest for animal like cows or sheeps in an agricultural point of view.
And I really don't think young agricultor are discussing about it like they do in this chapter
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Again, I said it's the "direction" the research is heading. Never did I say that it's happening now, nor the characters in the story.

They are actually talking about how cloning beef cattle is infeasible, and that there are more and more institute giving up on it. They then go deeper into the process of cloning animals, what the fundamental problems are, and how they should correct these problems in the protocols.

It's the same way physicists talk about faster than light speed travel. It's not happening anytime soon, but people would still talk about it.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

The thing is that 90% of the students are aiming to be farmers and this high research topic felt kinda out of place. Actually I don't really understand what kind of school it is. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but going to an agricultural high school is definitivly not the good way to become a vet or a biologist researcher
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

The thing is that 90% of the students are aiming to be farmers and this high research topic felt kinda out of place. Actually I don't really understand what kind of school it is. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but going to an agricultural high school is definitivly not the good way to become a vet or a biologist researcher
Perhaps that's exactly Arakawa's intention?
On one hand, it serves as a comical effect by exaggerating the technobabble. On the other hand, it serves as a reminder to the readers that modern farming is as much of a science as anything else.

If you want to become a simple, traditional farmer, you wouldn't need to attend a agricultural school. While I'm sure not every single student who attends such a school is so well immersed in these advanced research, they are not your stereotypical Farmer Joes either.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Farmers don't sit around in overalls and chew on straw all day. These days, a surprising amount of farmers are also biologists and researchers.
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I think this will take some time for me to get used to, I don't really find the characters wowing me or the story impressing me so I think it'll take some time for me to decide whether it will become my favorite or not.
I mean, its just the first chapter!
The setting is unique and I never heard/saw a farming school with teenagers in it before so I wonder what kind of tale arakawa can spin?
For me farmers has always been the kind in harvest moon :XD
Just kidding, I study geography so I know how hard it is to be one.

I wonder if there'll be awesome nature backgrounds to look forward to in this manga :p
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Ch.2 raw is out.
And yep, just like Moyashimon, but maybe more comedy and less information.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

If you want to become a simple, traditional farmer, you wouldn't need to attend a agricultural school. While I'm sure not every single student who attends such a school is so well immersed in these advanced research, they are not your stereotypical Farmer Joes either.
Actually yes you do. It's not compulsary but the traditional way is still to perform an agricultural school to learn the basics.
Farmers don't sit around in overalls and chew on straw all day. These days, a surprising amount of farmers are also biologists and researchers.
Really ! not the ones I know (and I know a lot)
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I'm not sure where exactly you're talking about, but in the US, the students who attend Agricultural colleges/unis are there to learn about crop improvements, hybridization, and modern farming techniques, not to "learn the basics". You can learn the basics by actually working on a farm, and you don't need a college degree for it. (There are no specialized high schools in the western world countries, as far as I know).

Just for your information, these specialized (whether industrial, technical, business, music, or agricultural) high school in Asian countries are mostly equivalent to two year technical school/colleges in the western world in terms of curriculum.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

well I'm talking from what I know :France. After the French collège (middle school) you can go to a profetionnal Lycee ( high school) which are high schools with a lot of technical specialised courses. There is an agricultural version of this called Lycee agricole. Most of those who wants to be farmers do these lycees and then stop. You can continue with a 2 years university degree but that is more for people who wants to be agricultural technicians. Of course you can be a farmer after making these degrees but that is not the majority

So I'm a bit puzzled, how old are these characters, 16 or 18. The trans says they come out of middle school
 
Last edited:

Samui

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
151
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I don't read much Slice of Life manga, but I loved it. The first two chapters were pretty funny, I'm definitely following it.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Hmm.....I really, really, really want to like this manga, but chapter 2 was rather unimpressive. It wasn't particularly funny and I still have no clue what the plot will be rather than the episodic antics of an agricultural high school. Also, am I the only one that sees a noticeable difference in the art quality going from a monthly to a weekly series?

I will give this series a lot more leeway than others, just because of who the author is, but to be honest, it isn't really off to a good start.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

So I'm a bit puzzled, how old are these characters, 16 or 18. The trans says they come out of middle school
Most likely to be 14-15 for the new students. The Japanese Schools are 6-3-3, 6 years of elementary school, 3 years of middle school/junior high, and 3 years of high school.


I will give this series a lot more leeway than others, just because of who the author is, but to be honest, it isn't really off to a good start.
It's the style, and it can't be helped. In terms of background and basic settings, it's even more "plain" than Moyashimon, and I know there are plenty of people who can't even read Moyashimon the whole way through.

Like I said in my first post, it's pretty "ordinary", and if you're looking for magical stuff, you're going to be disappointed.
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I have to agree with Matt here, so far this series has been rather meh. The comedy was pretty good too (this is where I disagree with Matt, heh). I still don't see a point to the whole story and was hoping the second chapter would shed some light on that but it has not. I will still give Arakawa the benefit of the doubt though, primarily because of FMA. I'm not looking for "magical stuff", I just want to know what this series is supposed to offer - is there an over-arching plot? Is there a point to what we are seeing or is it merely a day-to-day kind of account of their lives in this school?

I don't really see the drop in art quality though. Looks pretty alright to me. If Arakawa could handle 100 pages a month for FMA in some months, on top of the other series she was providing the art for which has now ended, weekly should be a piece of cake imo.
 

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

Edited Manga of chapter 1 is now available on Mangastream.
So far I think I'll follow this series but without serious eagerness.
 

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
3,637
Reaction score
1,163
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: [NEW] SILVER SPOON by Arakawa Hiromu

I Lol'ed at when he breaks the egg and there is a soldier with his thumbs up on his mind (like he is going to ride a jet and do a kamikaze )and on the other side of the panel is the old guy with a general on his mind :)

http://www.mangareader.net/silver-spoon/2/14

"Chickens are so amazing being able to shit out something that taste so good" He's pertaining to the "EGG"
 
Top