Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | Page 15 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
We're into the 3rd and final film and barely anything has happened, which is just baffling to me, and everyone involved should honestly be ashamed.

I'm still going to see the film on opening day/first screening, just as I did with The Last Jedi (to avoid spoilers), but I honestly don't care about it one bit.
Not that I wasn't let down by TLJ or anything but why see it on day 1 or care about spoilers if you think everyone involved in the previous movie should be ashamed?

I wish 9 could be at least 3 hours long, but I'm not holding my breath.
But why? :XD I mean, unless it's wishful thinking and you hope JJ Abrams can do more of what he did with TFA. Hey, if the movie is good then I'll go too. I saw the first two in theaters but after TLJ it's no longer a priority for me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Jedi Fallen Order has potential, but like Jammin said, zero reason to trust EA honestly. Even though Respawn has a pretty good track-record. Some of the models/animation in the trailer looked a bit weird or "last-gen" to me as well. Not a dealbreaker for me or anything. It's just sad that the singleplayer SW games have offered a more engaging story than the movies now (KOTOR, Jedi Outcast, and to a lesser extent Rogue Squadron/Leader).

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Not that I wasn't let down by TLJ or anything but why see it on day 1 or care about spoilers if you think everyone involved in the previous movie should be ashamed?
Because getting spoiled somehow, which is bound to happen unless I see it on then first day, would only make the experience worse.

Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post, but my problem with these new films starts at the very top/beginning with the Disney executives, with them not having a clear arc for the 3 films and just making it as they go along.

I don't have anything against the cast/crew of the films, just the people that let it all happen the way it did because they care more about $ and pandering to certain groups.

Seeing TLJ on day 1 at the earliest possible screening was the best thing I could possibly do, considering that there were less than 20 people in the theater. If you've seen my posts on the movie thread, you know that people misbehaving in the theater is an extreme pet peeve of mine, so there's that to take into account as well.

Truth be told, I'm a super casual fan, believe it or not, but seeing it on day 1 has more to do with me personally than the film itself. I'm not even going to see any further teasers/trailers for the film, see if it's more surprising and entertaining that way.

But why? :XD I mean, unless it's wishful thinking and you hope JJ Abrams can do more of what he did with TFA. Hey, if the movie is good then I'll go too. I saw the first two in theaters but after TLJ it's no longer a priority for me.
Like I mentioned with episode 4 and 5, I just want to get that sense that the story is progressing and things are developping, and not just have the entire plot of the film happen across a few hours and still not change any damn thing, which TLJ did and I really hated.

Like, the whole film felt like an episode that belongs on a tv series, and not as the middle film in a trilogy. Many people said (and I agree) that at this stage they would need 2 more films to make up for it, but since 9 is all we're getting is why I hope that the film happens to be long.

It probably won't be 3 hours long, but yeah.

Jedi Fallen Order has potential, but like Jammin said, zero reason to trust EA honestly.
Oh I don't care about the game whatsoever, I'm not a gamer or anything like that, I was just pointing out how the simplicity of that story would've been a far more interesting plot for the new trilogy than what we got.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Because getting spoiled somehow, which is bound to happen unless I see it on then first day, would only make the experience worse.

Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post, but my problem with these new films starts at the very top/beginning with the Disney executives, with them not having a clear arc for the 3 films and just making it as they go along.

I don't have anything against the cast/crew of the films, just the people that let it all happen the way it did because they care more about $ and pandering to certain groups.

Seeing TLJ on day 1 at the earliest possible screening was the best thing I could possibly do, considering that there were less than 20 people in the theater. If you've seen my posts on the movie thread, you know that people misbehaving in the theater is an extreme pet peeve of mine, so there's that to take into account as well.

Truth be told, I'm a super casual fan, believe it or not, but seeing it on day 1 has more to do with me personally than the film itself. I'm not even going to see any further teasers/trailers for the film, see if it's more surprising and entertaining that way.
I mean, I guess a better way to ask is why do you care about getting spoiled at all? Like, why take an interest in the series now that TLJ happened? I know you see a lot of movies anyway, but I'm just curious why one would support Disney on day 1 after the last one? Because it's a social thing as well?

Like I said, I'm not opposed to going to see it either, but that's sort of contingent on it's reception. But I personally don't go to many movies ASAP anyways, I prefer going on off times for the same reason you stated.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I mean, I guess a better way to ask is why do you care about getting spoiled at all?
I dislike spoilers in general, especially when it comes to something I KNOW I'll be watching.
For example, I don't really care about Marvel films, I've never seen a single one in theaters, but I don't want Endgame to be spoiled for me. Will I see it in theaters? Nope, I'll probably watch a CAM version that someone shot in theaters.

It's not so much to do with the film itself, but how I experience the story.

Going in blind will at the very least make me give it more of a real chance; if I were to be spoiled, going to see the film all "pssh, can't believe they went in that direction" would only make me feel bummed out for the whole duration of the film.

Like, why take an interest in the series now that TLJ happened?
I guess the key thing here is that I am not a hardcore fan. Like I said, I'm super heckin' casual about Star Wars in general. If I considered myself a REAL fan? Yeah, I probably wouldn't go and see it in theaters.

Never even considered watching Solo for a second, and I saw Rogue One at home when I had nothing better to do.

I know you see a lot of movies anyway, but I'm just curious why one would support Disney on day 1 after the last one? Because it's a social thing as well?
That's the thing, it's extremely rare for me to go and see a film in theaters that I don't really care much for. I'm very, very picky when it comes to seeing films in theaters, I don't just go and watch whatever.

Out of the 14 films I've seen in theaters this year so far, the only ones that qualify (in my opinion) as blockbuster-ish are "Us" (which I saw for free) and "Glass"; I don't care for blockbuster/mainstream films in general, so when it comes to Star Wars Episode 9 I don't mind paying to go and see it, again, because it's Star Wars and it's more of an experience at this point than anything else, I don't mind making an exception for it, because I seldom do make exceptions.

I see what you mean, but personally I don't see it as "supporting Disney" at all, if anything I'll be supporting my local theater (which reminds me, the theater I saw TLJ which had that super early showing, might not be in business any longer by the end of the year, and if I don't have another good place to watch it, my day 1 plans might very well be ruined), because let's be real here, whether 1 or 1 million people don't go and see the film, it's not going to hurt Disney at all.

Ok, sure, they suffered somewhat with Solo (which they deserved), but it won't make a difference to them whether 1 less person will give them money, I guess.

I don't really know what to expect about the film, but it would take A LOT of bad for me to leave thinking "that was a fucking waste of money", which rarely happens.

Not sure what you meant by social thing, but I'll probably go and see it by myself, just like 7 and 8.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to going to see it either, but that's sort of contingent on it's reception.
That's the thing, I don't want to be too influenced.

More often than not, I'll read a semi-review or read a sentence/criticism out of place that'll just drain me and make me want not to see a certain film anymore.

Sometimes those are a life-saver, but again, that happens more with "art-house"-ish films and the like. Star Wars is a blockbuster, and at the end of the day it's Disney, we already know how it's going to end, and that the good guys will win because duh, so I already know what I'm paying for when it comes to that.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
RIP Peter Mayhew

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, read a few theories online and found one that seemed compelling... Supposedly in books that have some out since disney purchased star wars there is stuff about how before the trilogy palpatine was involved with jakku, where rey was. Supposedly the planet has a connection to an ancient sith empire. The new novels reveal anakin was made by palpatine (which IMO is an downgrade from darth plagueis stuff... by a lot). So.. its possible rey could have also been made by palpatine to replace his failed apprentice... And if not rey, then perhaps one of rey's parents.

GB

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
darth bane hype

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It didn't show much, but I'm looking forward to it.
What I'm not looking forward to is yet another streaming platform.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, that is the main caveat for me. I'm interested because the trailer looks pretty interesting, but I'm not really interested in yet another streaming service that no one wants or needs.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hulu doesnt want....I amazogin:heh

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The pricing they are going with seems really fair though. At least initially. $7 a month bundled with Hulu? That's not bad. If they put a decent portion of the Fox and Disney catalogue on that and get some decent shows going I don't mind paying that at all. Especially with Netflix's programming dropping the ball in a couple ways.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
There's some weird info coming out about the sizzle reel they showed for the next movie. Rey appearing as a Sith in it or something....

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be a pretty solid twist.

Don't really trust it though because the movie is being written by JJ Abrams (Who I love as a director but as a writer is something of a mixed bag) and Chris Terrio (One of the minds behind Batman V Superman and Justice League.)

Still just imagining for a second that this movie is somehow being well written. The idea of flipping Rey into Sith would be pretty great. Especially if they combined that with bringing back other Jedi somehow. I kinda feel like they need to do something drastic. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo were all not left in a good place.

They need to do something with Rey to get the Mary Sue stink off her. They need to do something with Finn other than give him the same character arc a third time. Not sure what they can even do with Poe besides kill him off heroically. And Kylo is just not the type of villain the story needs. Not sure who fills the void as hero if they flip Rey but that would certainly shake things up.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They had me as soon as Carl Weathers showed up.
You say Carl Weathers, I see Giancarlo Esposito and I'm excited at the acting already. The rest of the cast looks pretty solid too.

Yeah, that is the main caveat for me. I'm interested because the trailer looks pretty interesting, but I'm not really interested in yet another streaming service that no one wants or needs.
No one wants to share profits for their intellectual properties....at the cost of consumers. So now you'll have people seriously considering paying for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Disney+ just to make sure they can still watch all their shows.

I mean Amazon Prime less so, but it seems Disney is pumping some serious money into this to make you strongly consider that $7/month.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, on one hand you had the last jedi being all about SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtATiOnS with all that stuff about letting go of the past. But the movie that follows is titled "The Rise of Skywalker" and at a minimum it kinda looks like the emperor will be a major plot point. Supposedly in one comic book it was revealed that the one behind anakin's birth was actually palpatine rather than plagueis (which wasn't confirmed but was a cool theory) and his endgame was something like immortality. Meaning odds are pretty damn good that rey came to be under somewhat similar circumstances (even if unlike anakin she had two parents). It seems like they are taking inspiration from legends storylines where palpatine returns to life through clones and whatnot.

Can't say I am really hyped to be honest. And even if the plot isn't the emperor trying to resurrect himself... What the hell kind of story are they trying to tell if they still make him a plot point after all the stupid plot murdering they did in the last jedi?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The pricing they are going with seems really fair though. At least initially. $7 a month bundled with Hulu? That's not bad. If they put a decent portion of the Fox and Disney catalogue on that and get some decent shows going I don't mind paying that at all. Especially with Netflix's programming dropping the ball in a couple ways.
That's exactly what Netflix did in the beginning too. "Oh wow! Such good prices!"

Now? The subscription only continues to rise at a jagged rate.

D+ will undoubtedly follow that same formula.

So, on one hand you had the last jedi being all about SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtATiOnS with all that stuff about letting go of the past. But the movie that follows is titled "The Rise of Skywalker" and at a minimum it kinda looks like the emperor will be a major plot point. Supposedly in one comic book it was revealed that the one behind anakin's birth was actually palpatine rather than plagueis (which wasn't confirmed but was a cool theory) and his endgame was something like immortality. Meaning odds are pretty damn good that rey came to be under somewhat similar circumstances (even if unlike anakin she had two parents). It seems like they are taking inspiration from legends storylines where palpatine returns to life through clones and whatnot.

Can't say I am really hyped to be honest. And even if the plot isn't the emperor trying to resurrect himself... What the hell kind of story are they trying to tell if they still make him a plot point after all the stupid plot murdering they did in the last jedi?
This is what happens when you know you've royally fucked a franchise, but don't know how to fix the mess you've created. The directors don't even seem to care anymore. These developments are totally fried, and I can't say I'm going to be disappointed because I have no expectations for this film. Some of the Rey turning to the dark side and having Ren defeat her theories are going to give me an aneurism.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's exactly what Netflix did in the beginning too. "Oh wow! Such good prices!"

Now? The subscription only continues to rise at a jagged rate.

D+ will undoubtedly follow that same formula.
So? Just stop subscribing at the point like everyone is doing for netflix right now. As long as it's cheap... it's cheap.

Have to say though I don't really understand those that are so angry over the Rey Sith teaser stuff. Like could that be bad? Sure. Easily. Especially considering who's writing this movie. But you have to at least give it a chance right?

We don't know anything. Being upset before anybody has actually seen the movie seems insane to me. Good or bad, this is making me more interested in the movie.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's sort of perpetuating the problem though. Just sitting back, smiling and being happy with anything as long as it makes your neurons fire for a moment.

And yeah, you know that most of us will watch it anyway. No matter how this mess of a trilogy inevitably stumbles to its end, I still want closure. Doesn't mean I can't drill it full of holes though.

After all, where would be the fun in being content?