Discussion The Ankhseram Thread

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The god Ankhseram seems to hold some degree of importance in the story. He cursed both Zeref and Mavis for different reasons and though it's supposed to be a curse, one can sag he's powerful enough to grant immortality and potent destruction powers that takes lives. We've mostly thought that the end game has to do with Zeref or Acnologia (or both) but Ankhseram might indeed be more involved than initially thought.
Do you think he might make an actual appearance in the story? Would he be the final villain? Is there more to him than just cursing people or is he just someone that Mashima would never really expand on? What are your thoughts?

MangerDan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless we get more information on him maybe even some sort of physical form i don't see him being involved too much in the story he seems more of an omnipotent being that cant be dealt with like a normal opponent and who just keeps the balance of life and death. And anyone who questions and goes against it is severely punished with his curse.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doubt it. He's one of those characters that are supposed to be legend and gone after that. Honestly, idk if Zeref is even telling the truth although I suppose he is. Although Ankhseram can curse people, it doesn't make him Acnologia x1000. Several villains are weak in terms of active combat, but are formidable passively. I'm guessing Ankhseram is the same, otherwise, FT has no chance of winning unless they get a 7 year time skip again.

If Ankhseram does exist, then we would need a whole backstory on him too. That would be like going back to even before Zeref's time. I'm pretty sure Ankhseram is one of those gods that just don't know either due to the amount of time elapsed or due to his physical nature where he an only control people who have done some mortal sin like Zeref or people who have gone beyond the dark arts of black magic/spell/evil.

metsujin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Well, I like the idea of this 'god', because you have a world where there are no 'consequences' when magic is involved (sure there are magics like Dragon Slayer, too much DS magic can turn you into a dragon, or Ultear's spell that ages you), and this 'god' punish those who try to break the 'laws' of that world.

Heard people complaining that he wasn't mentioned before, and he kinda came out of nowhere... I don't know how to fill about that, because Zeref said on Tenrou that he got cursed and such, so obviously someone cursed. I don't think he'll be the final boss of this series tho, they might encounter him somehow, but I don't think we'll see a actual fight with him, he's a 'god' after all.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Yeah, why not?
I mean, all the events happened in FT seem to be a direct consequence of Anksheram's curse.
Besides, I think that there's some kind of link between him and the One Magic...
Also, let us not forget about the GS; for what reason would Mashima introduce such characters if there are no gods around?
Hell, their existence implies that there must still be Gods somewhere in the FT's world and we had even confirmation of this with the summoning of that gigantic War God by the hands of Harlock from Avatar!
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think that it would be awesome to have a final battle against gods!
To summarize, I'd really like to see this God make a physical appearance during the story, due to the reasons I said just above and as for those who think that he won't, don't forget that final villains introduced only in the final chapters of a manga are not so rare (like Kaguya in Naruto for example).

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I can see Ankhseram playing a bigger part in the story to come, but at the same time Hiro could just leave him out of it. I doubt Hiro would do a backstory on him if he was to be involved more, as Hiro has said there will be some things he won't cover in the story, and some of Ankhseram's past decisions could be in the pile of things not to be explained.

Nizen

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Does Acnologia have Ankhseram's curse. Considering the fact that he technically brought the age of dragons to extinction, he desrves that or a similar curse. This is also because Zeref straightforwardly says that he wants to "compete" with Acnologia, not kill him though he has that ability and mental capacity in him to invest a couple of centuries to eliminate Acno. (This almost feels like they are multi-player RPG rivals.) Any thoughts about this?
Also, does END have the power to counter Ankheseram's magic? Because killing Zeref signifies a strength that has not been mustered in these 400 years. I'm also willing to consider that Gods are weaker than dragons physically, but are quite strong magically.Also that their potential is weaker than the dragons. God slayers are an evidence. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on this too?

metsujin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Does Acnologia have Ankhseram's curse. Considering the fact that he technically brought the age of dragons to extinction, he desrves that or a similar curse. This is also because Zeref straightforwardly says that he wants to "compete" with Acnologia, not kill him though he has that ability and mental capacity in him to invest a couple of centuries to eliminate Acno. (This almost feels like they are multi-player RPG rivals.) Any thoughts about this?
Also, does END have the power to counter Ankheseram's magic? Because killing Zeref signifies a strength that has not been mustered in these 400 years. I'm also willing to consider that Gods are weaker than dragons physically, but are quite strong magically.Also that their potential is weaker than the dragons. God slayers are an evidence. Anyone willing to share their thoughts on this too?
I don't think it has to do with taking lives... more like playing 'god' itself, like bringing the death back, or in Mavis's case bringing someone back to his original form than he previously was. Because Jellal killed Simon, and I don't see him being cursed just a example, sure it was one kill... actually he killed people before that, when the was manipulated by Ultear. Plus Acnologia transformed into something that he might despise, I mean unless he didn't have a reason to kill dragons... he's crazy, I liked to believe he had a reason to kill dragons and why he hates them so much.

Well E.N.D doesn't use magic, he uses a curse, since he is the one who created them... I don't know how exactly he can kill a immortal being, we'll see.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't think Ankhseram will play a larger role in this story, no. Ankhseram may be a literal god, omnipresent and formless. Or he might just be a superstition. Either way, he hasn't done anything wrong tbh. Not interesting enough to be a character imo.

Last edited:

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im pretty sure that Ankhseram is pretty much there only to curse people. I don't know how Ankhseram would fit into the story. It wouldn't give anybody any advantages or disadvantages unless you are like Zeref. It is true that black magic was probably created or originated because of him, but he doesn't have any physical power either. He's one of those people that doesn't play both roles of gods and beings. He's strictly an entity controlling another dimension or world with a few effects on mortals who cross the line.

By crossing the line, I mean basically somebody like Zeref, who played with magic to revive his brother. That would probably qualify going beyond the idea of black magic and introducing a curse, since he challenged or fooled a god to break a forbidden law.

I also don't see Ankhseram being a large part or some part of the story without a backstory. It is imperative in every single plot or storyline that the villain or god of death so to say, must have some background to his life or character otherwise the plot doesn't make sense. It would defy logic that some being has complete control over all beings simply because he does.

Either Ankhseram was always a god, or he too was cursed by yet another entity or being. If it is a chain reaction it would make sense, but if not, then no.

Also, Ankhseram probably has no relationship with Acnologia. I honestly think that Acnologia has no clue about Ankhseram. If you really think about it, Acnologia is no different from everybody else. He is just like a strong Natsu that lived during the dragon age and wanted to murder all the dragons due to his raw power and strong being. He was also once human.

Zeref on the other hand is probably the only guy that knows about Ankhseram because he was directly affected by him. Ankhseram doesn't show himself to everybody and proclaim his presence. He only does if you do something to piss him off or violate an ancient law.

Plus, if Ankhseram is introduced, you can bet that FT will continue on for another 200+ chapters because we all know that Zeref can't be the only one cursed.

Last edited:

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a JRPG fan, I got to say Fairytail's story shares alot of similarities with storylines of some JRPGs I wouldn't be surprised if Hiro Mashima played Final Fantasy in his spare time.

For those who never played Final Fantasy most of the end-game final boss fights are against a evil Deity once thought to be good or was unknown till the very end of the story.

The fact that we have Godslayers kinda hints at the fact that Humans attempted to kill Gods before, Which I'm very certain humans always failed in the end because 2 of the 3 Godslayers seen so far are weak compared to Dragon Slayer/Demon Slayers.

One Magic may just be a gateway into the realm of Gods, or maybe One Magic could make someone a God.

While Ankhseram motives are unclear. I suspect he's using Zeref as a tool to collect souls. If Ankhseram really wanted to keep balance and teach Zeref a listen I think he would have killed Zeref a long time ago, but he's using Zeref. This shows that this god has some kind of ulterior motive.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eh could be, I'm not gonna argue with that.

The only thing about God Slayers in Ft is that they arent actually meant to kill gods. Hence why they seem weaker than actual dragons and demon slayers.

On Tenrou, Natsu qeustioned Zancrow saying that slaying a god is absolutely impossible, hence the definition of god. Zancrow laughed at Natsu and said that of course god slayers arent actually meant to slay gods. It's a metaphorical term used to describe the power of a god slayer. Basically, Zancrow said that Grimoire Heart looked up to Hades as a god, or as their god. The reason being that Hades was strong and had a vast knowledge of both light and dark magic.

Since Hades trained Zancrow and taught him the art of slaying magic, Zancrow and the rest of GH simply coined the term "God slayer". How Orga Nanagear and Chelia Blendy obtained the slaying magic is beyond my imagination. It could have been added to give people more rivals during GMG or maybe there is a reason behind it.

This has nothing to do with arguing against anybody's post. This is just some insight or explanation of how god slayers were explained. As you can see, Natsu is a dragon slayer and slayed the god of war. They really arent actually gods.

The real god is Ankhseram and I would not mess around with that mofo given and seeing what he did to Zeref lol. That guy is real in terms of godly capabilities. No doubt

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
As a JRPG fan, I got to say Fairytail's story shares alot of similarities with storylines of some JRPGs I wouldn't be surprised if Hiro Mashima played Final Fantasy in his spare time.

For those who never played Final Fantasy most of the end-game final boss fights are against a evil Deity once thought to be good or was unknown till the very end of the story.

The fact that we have Godslayers kinda hints at the fact that Humans attempted to kill Gods before, Which I'm very certain humans always failed in the end because 2 of the 3 Godslayers seen so far are weak compared to Dragon Slayer/Demon Slayers.

One Magic may just be a gateway into the realm of Gods, or maybe One Magic could make someone a God.

While Ankhseram motives are unclear. I suspect he's using Zeref as a tool to collect souls. If Ankhseram really wanted to keep balance and teach Zeref a listen I think he would have killed Zeref a long time ago, but he's using Zeref. This shows that this god has some kind of ulterior motive.
Just because a game has a plot element, it doesn't mean all games follow that way of writing. It certainly doesn't mean Mashima draws inspiration from that one game. I don't see the relevance unless we can point out the other ways Fairy Tail's plot is similar to final fantasy. I can just as easily argue that Mashima likes to draw inspiration from the plot, and loves to foreshadow his final villains from an early stage as seen in Rave.

Here's my personal problems with having Ankhseram becoming relevant to the plot:
1) God Slayers are all but irrelevant to the plot though. None of the main characters are god slayers. Plus, we already saw the purpose of god slayers with the war god. Ankhseram might be a different entity altogether. He might not have a physical form to fight. He might even just be a superstition, and whats really going on is the forces of nature cursing humans for their actions. To say his motivation is unclear is an understatement. His entire nature is unclear.

2) This would invalidate everything we know about Zeref's story. It would turn out that Zeref isn't really cursed by Ankhseram because he messed around with lives, but because Ankhseram just picked him as a random target. This would mean that Zeref's curse isn't a consequence of his actions. To me, that would completely ruin the morale of Zeref's backstory. The way I see it: Zeref's story is about a man who wants to control life. Even to this day, he thinks that it is his responsibility to control the lives of those in the world. His story should end when he realizes that he cannot control life, and realize that he should not mess with lives.

3) No foreshadowing. He's basically being brought in at the last minute as we're about to get into the main Zeref plot. This is fine if he serves as an explanation for why Zeref was cursed. However, if he's just thrown on as another random villain then it will just feel like sloppy writing. Compared that to Zeref who has been foreshadowed ever since Lullaby. Or Acnologia who has been foreshadowed since slightly before Edolas. The Dragon King's Festival has been foreshadowed for quite a while now, and I believe Fairy Tail will end when it happens. So unless Ankhseram is going to show up then, I don't think we'll ever get to him.

4) If Ankhseram wanted to kill people, he should be able to just do it himself. We're talking about a god who can curse multiple people. If getting a kill count was all he's interested in, then he should just curse a few dozen people and get it over with. Plus, there's the whole deal about the curse being a contradiction curse. Why bother with doing that if Ankhseram is just interested in reaping souls? Ankhseram seems ominous and imposing because he is portrayed as an omniscient and omnipotent judge that instills divine punishment to mortals. It's a bit like truth from FMA. If you start making him a generic villain, then he loses that charm.

Last edited:

Kuroro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Eh could be, I'm not gonna argue with that.

The only thing about God Slayers in Ft is that they arent actually meant to kill gods. Hence why they seem weaker than actual dragons and demon slayers.

On Tenrou, Natsu qeustioned Zancrow saying that slaying a god is absolutely impossible, hence the definition of god. Zancrow laughed at Natsu and said that of course god slayers arent actually meant to slay gods. It's a metaphorical term used to describe the power of a god slayer. Basically, Zancrow said that Grimoire Heart looked up to Hades as a god, or as their god. The reason being that Hades was strong and had a vast knowledge of both light and dark magic.

Since Hades trained Zancrow and taught him the art of slaying magic, Zancrow and the rest of GH simply coined the term "God slayer". How Orga Nanagear and Chelia Blendy obtained the slaying magic is beyond my imagination. It could have been added to give people more rivals during GMG or maybe there is a reason behind it.

This has nothing to do with arguing against anybody's post. This is just some insight or explanation of how god slayers were explained. As you can see, Natsu is a dragon slayer and slayed the god of war. They really arent actually gods.

The real god is Ankhseram and I would not mess around with that mofo given and seeing what he did to Zeref lol. That guy is real in terms of godly capabilities. No doubt
Utterly wrong, as I stated before GS magic mimics DS one and is meant to be as powerful as them or even surpass them without Dragon force being used.

http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/218/3

Just start reading from there. Just like Chelia, most of Zancrow's attacks are exactly the same as his DS counterpart. Just shows that the magic heavily copied DS magic either to take them down OR/AND to be as powerful as them without being taught by a dragon.

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Utterly wrong, as I stated before GS magic mimics DS one and is meant to be as powerful as them or even surpass them without Dragon force being used.
I'm not so sure about that.
The strongest god slayer is Orga. Followed by Zancrow, and then Chelia.
On the other hand, we have dragon slayers like Natsu, Laxus, and Acnologia.
Each one of them can likely beat all 3 god slayers in a 3v1.

God Slayers seem to have the major advantage of being able to eat other people's elements, but not have their own attacks being eaten. However, Dragon Slayers have the monopoly on raw power and physical toughness. A fire god slayer doesn't really have any advantage over an iron dragon slayer.

Last edited:

Kuroro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
I'm not so sure about that.
The strongest god slayer is Orga.
On the other hand, we have dragon slayers like Natsu, Laxus, and Orga.
Each one of them can likely beat all 3 god slayers in a 3v1.

God Slayers seem to have the major advantage of being able to eat other people's elements, but not have their own attacks being eaten. However, Dragon Slayers have the monopoly on raw power and physical toughness. A fire god slayer doesn't really have any advantage over an iron dragon slayer.
I've edited my post a bit but you can't really compare people who aren't on the same level... What you said is true ONLY if there's some sort of gap in terms of power. Just look at Chelia vs Wendy and Zancrow vs Natsu, GS magic had the upper hand even though both opponents were roughly on the same level.

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've edited my post a bit but you can't really compare people who aren't on the same level... What you said is true ONLY if there's some sort of gap in terms of power. Just look at Chelia vs Wendy and Zancrow vs Natsu, GS magic had the upper hand even though both opponents were roughly on the same level.
Well yeah...that's when both people are on the same level. However, dragon slayer magic lets you go all the way up to Acnologia's level, so...

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Endless too was introduced much later in the story of RAVE and is like a god, so Ankhseram being introduced much later isn't a problem at all, heck it seems to be what the author intends to do actually

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Endless was introduced near halfway through Rave. It was foreshadowed for pretty much the latter half of the series. It was name dropped 100 chapters into the story. Ankhseram is popping up 400 chapters into Fairy Tail. The two are hardly comparable.

Last edited:

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States

http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail/218/3

Just start reading from there. Just like Chelia, most of Zancrow's attacks are exactly the same as his DS counterpart. Just shows that the magic heavily copied DS magic either to take them down OR/AND to be as powerful as them without being taught by a dragon.

Eh, maybe you can explain. Either that, or I'm just not getting it. I'm not calling you off and saying you are wrong, I just don't get what you are trying to say.

From what I can tell, you think that GS is equivalent or stronger than DS?

I never said anything about what you said above.

Basically, just as the manga page proved it, I said that Zancrow and probably all the other gods slayers were not trained by actual gods. It even proved it in that page you showed me when Zancrow told that to Natsu.

It's impossible for them to be trained by a god unless we are told that they had their powers originated from somebody who is like Ankhseram, which we all know is not the case. Even the Yakuma Gods and the God of war couldn't stand a chance against a whole different type of slayer magic.

I'm not saying God Slayers are weaker than Demon and Dragon, I said it seems like it. Although, if you ask my personal opinion, god slaying magic doesn't strike me as incredible. Compared to people like Freed, Bickslow, and Evergreen, of course it looks good. Against somebody as simple as Makarov, I don't see any major advantage.

That's besides the point though, god slaying magic definitely is not weaker than Demon or Dragon. The only reason why it seems like that is because the users of god slaying magic aren't that impressive.

We are looking at Chelia here, the equivalent of a Wendy. We are looking at Orga here, the guy that was made to look like a fodder so Laxus can shine more against Jura. Last, we have Zancrow.

Well Zancrow was actually impressive, but we never really got to see him at his max power and plus he was simply made for the Natsu version on Grimoire Heart's side. That's the only reason why he was made to be god slayer. To hype up Natsu and fire slaying magic.

Actually, just as I said above, Zancrow is impressive. In my opinion Zancrow beats half of the dragon slayers that we know of. If Zancrow was alive after the 7 year gap and trained in those 7 years, I have no doubt he would be able to win against Wendy, Sting, Rogue, Gajeel, and maybe Cobra and Natsu. Future Rogue and Laxus could probably match him though.

So yeah, they are all about the same, it just depends on who is using the slaying magic. Zancrow actually outclassed Natsu. Magic doesn't always make you stronger. It goes back to the fundamentals about skills.

All I said is that unlike Dragon slayers, god slayers are not trained by gods. And if they ever were trained by gods (which Zancrow admitted that they are not), then it would be gods like Yakuma or God of War. Basically all fodders.

Last edited: