Summer The Baseball Thread

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Holy shit! The Nats just signed Rafael Soriano, two years $28mil. Did we really just sign a player away form the Yankees? Great off season, Rizzo has made some (at least on paper) brilliant moves this winter. None that cripple the team financially four or five years from now, either. We won't have to worry about dealing with the financial quagmire the Yankees currently are mired in. Hopefully we can get some good prospects back for Michael Morse.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I sort of disagreed with letting Soriano go, but Hank says that the Yankees need to be below $189m salary a year, and with bums like A-Rod on the payroll, what can you do? Mariano's getting older and I don't know how he'll be this season after the injury, albeit not a pitching injury. I thought that Soriano could be the Yankees future closer, but at this rate, I guess not.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
In the long run, letting Soriano go was a good move for the Yankees. They will receive a first round compensatory pick (31, I believe) from the Nationals, and additional rookie pool money. The Yankees don't have a very good farm system, they are better off stockpiling prospects right now. Soriano is already a 33 year old veteran, good for a team ready to win now, not as much for a team in decline. In the short term this hurts there chances in 2013. Who knows what condition Riviera is in right now.

I'll really miss Michael Morse, a really fun player. Singing along to "Take on Me" is one of my favorite memories of the season. I was shocked we got A.J. Cole back in the deal, after trading him for Gio last off season. While he did not have a great year in the Oakland system last year, Baseball America still lists him as Oakland's number three prospect, and top minor league pitcher. He's got time to develop, our rotation is loaded. We can afford to leave him in the minors for three or four years.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anybody else excited for the World Baseball Classic? Looking over the rosters, I have to say there appear to be several teams that could win it. A lot of America's "top" players aren't playing,most of the Latin countries have some pretty good big leaguers on their teams, although I've never heard of anyone on the Japanese team, I don't doubt they're a good group considered they've won the only 2 WBCs, and Canada's team seems fairly solid as well. All in all, in a tournament like this, its really going to come down to pitching, and that's why I'm still hoping Justin Verlander will decide to play (if anything, it would be cool to see JV vs. Miggy).

Anyway, my predictions:
1. USA (Murica, that's why)
2. Venezuela (best hitter in the game, and a pretty solid lineup)
3. Japan (back to back winners)

Regardless, I'm just happy there will be competitive baseball in March.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't have high hopes for team USA. Giancarlo Stanton, Ryan Braun, and David Wright are the only real elite players on the team. The starting pitching looks mediocre. R.A. Dickey had a great season, but he's not exactly who I want as a number one starter. If the best American pitchers were actually in the rotation we'd steam roll the field. Imagine what a rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jared Weaver, and David Price would do.

I'm most interested in the Netherlands. They probably won't win, but they have some interesting players on their team. I can't wait to see more of Jurickson Profar, even if he probably will be called up by the end of April or beginning of May.

I'd give the edge to Venezuela, unlike the US and Domincan Republic, they are fielding a team with some top MLB talent. King Felix will be pitching, so will Anibal Sanchez. Panda, Miggy Cabrera, CarGo, and Asdrubal Cabrera will all be in the lineup. Some good role players like Marco Scutaro too. Japan usually fields top talent from their league, they should contend again. Looks like Yu Darvish won't be pitching though.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Brian Cashman says that it's possible that A-Rod could miss the entire season after his latest hip surgery.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?
Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.
That is true as well.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.
That is true. They are the two highest profile franchises, even during down cycles they receive a lot of attention. The highest profile NL club is so bad right now they don't even get negative attention. Once the Cubs are respectable again, that will change.

Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."
It's a bit of a stereotype that National League teams play station to station. The AL does have more offense, but it's not as big a difference as the pundits would lead you to believe. A few teams do play small ball, especially out west, but there are plenty of offensive powers too. The Brewers come to mind, The Nationals, Cardinals, and Braves too. Funny thing is that the legendary, steroid filled, 1998 home run race was between two players on National League teams. The all time home runs leader played his entire career in the National League, so did the player in second place. I honestly loathe the DH, can't stand interleague games in AL ball parks. The rhythm of the game is badly disrupted without the pitcher hitting 9th. A lot of strategy, offensive and defensive, is lost in the AL. The 7th and 8th hitters are more important in the NL too.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more. :derp
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more. :derp
Don't really care about ARod. He's probably not going to play this season anyway. Good riddance, hopefully he never plays again. He's washed up anyway. I watched the AL playoffs. I'm more interested in important news, like the Nationals adding a new racing president :3c

I did think it interesting no one was elected to the hall this year, even the guys they couldn't prove did steroids.

While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.
Yes, yes of course. Just like Willie Mays played for the Mets and Johnny Unitas was a Charger :oh
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I had a postscript to what I said!

:nah

[kaiten]:-_-[/kaiten]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Zack Wheeler (Mets) is filthy. Remember the name, he will more than live up to the hype. I love his fastball location. He'll start the year in AAA, I expect him to come up sometime this year. A September call up, at the latest.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Rough first inning for Stras. A much better second inning.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
You're watching Spring Training baseball?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yes, I watched the first four innings. Strasburg was pitching, on national TV. It was fun.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I saw the stats at the bottom on ESPN, but to actually watch Spring Training baseball? That's something I'd never do.

On other news, Granderson breaks his arm and is out for 10 weeks, but Jeter will be ready for the first spring training game on March 10th.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The highlights were on Sports Center. Be prepared, Nats hype is coming.

Yankees should be terrible this year. Not Astros terrible, but terrible by Yankees standards. Looks like an 80 - 85 win team, maybe with a few lucky breaks they'll get the second wild card spot. Granderson is overrated anyway. He's a strikeout machine, doesn't hit for average, and a defensive liability (-.07 dWAR). All he really does is hit for power. Robinson Cano is the only current Yankee I really like, and he might not resign.
 
Top