Games The Final Fantasy Thread!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like things to be a bit more grounded, honestly. The teleporting action-y stuff is flashy but it doesn't do much for me. Nor do the Kaijuu monsters. But I think all of those things can be made to work if the story and characters are enjoyable.

Which has been the problem for me going back quite a ways. Without substance, style is pretty much worthless to me.

The main focus of the teaser obviously was that main character looking brooding and the Joshua kid turned flaming bird and not much else. Aside from some snippets of combat that look very button mashy. But Final Fantasy VII Remake looked like that and turned out to be much better. So hopefully this will too.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I like things to be a bit more grounded, honestly. The teleporting action-y stuff is flashy but it doesn't do much for me. Nor do the Kaijuu monsters. But I think all of those things can be made to work of the story and characters are enjoyable.

Which has been the problem for me going back quite a ways. Without substance, style is pretty much worthless to me.

The main focus of the teaser obviously was that main character looking brooding and the Joshua kid turned flaming bird and not much else. Aside from some snippets of combat that look very button mashy. But Final Fantasy VII Remake looked like that and turned out to be much better than that. So hopefully this will too.
Grounded sounds like something that is mutually exclusive with a final fantasy game :p. I disliked the relentless bottom mashing from FFXV but I am more than willing to snort a FF story that is good along with having the classical ff stuff like eidolons, crystals, needlessly impractical weapons, at least 1 non human playable character....

Looking back, its fairly clear that FF suffer from utterly unlikeable casts. I can't really make up my mind of which FFXV cast member I hate the most (you have sasuke, "I've come up with a new recipe", the guy who wore a mullet unironically and fucking prompto) in ffxiii only two members were likeable (lightining and fang) while the rest were crimes... And the entirety of the FFXII cast was just meh at best (balthier at times was almost ok though).

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
When I say "a bit more grounded" I'm talking like FF Tactics or even Final Fantasy VII. You can do magic and fantasy without quite that much power fantasy in there.

And, yeah, they need to do better on the character front. Which hopefully remaking FFVII has reminded them where the bar is for that. They don't need to be the best ones ever. They just need to be good enough that we like them, care about them, and are entertained by them. And the main character in the trailer seems like a decent starting piece. Hopefully, he's not all brooding all the time. Surround him with a supporting cast that isn't boy band tropes in matching leather pants and you can make something of that.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
When I say "a bit more grounded" I'm talking like FF Tactics or even Final Fantasy VII. You can do magic and fantasy without quite that much power fantasy in there.

And, yeah, they need to do better on the character front. Which hopefully remaking FFVII has reminded them where the bar is for that. They don't need to be the best ones ever. They just need to be good enough that we like them, care about them, and are entertained by them. And the main character in the trailer seems like a decent starting piece. Hopefully, he's not all brooding all the time. Surround him with a supporting cast that isn't boy band tropes in matching leather pants and you can make something of that.
Ah, ok fair enough. Unfortunately my FF knowledge is limited to the main games (specifically, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, lightning returns, and 15).

*random snow flashback* Yep, since I haven't played ffviir yet the bar is low on my end at least. But still higher than sasuke and mullet man....

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Twitter is eating up Yuffie in FF7R graphics, can’t blame them