Archived The Hang Out Thread v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
the SAT's aren't necessary to graduate; it's a standardized test used to measure one's ability against every student taking that test. it is used to predict how well you are supposed to do in college though they are no longer claiming that anymore.

for more information, click here
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Good luck Lil! :hi5 Just make sure you eat a good breakfast ^^ I didn't, and by the end of the test I was ready to eat the table :drool

Ugh.....I hated taking those tests :darn And I'm going to have to take the GRE soon :scry
Doesn't it piss you off how you have to pay like a hundred bucks JUST to take the GRE? Argh.

But don't worry about the test itself, it's not that bad.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
some tips from me regarding SAT:

just do your best.

sleep well the night before, eat a light nutritious meal before the test. Think positive, be confident, and relax.

I think the most important step is preparation...so if you've studied, honed your skills, timed yourself in practice exams, at least you'll get a "feel" or an idea of how you might do during the actual test.

If you're prepared, then there's no need to worry, just relax and you will be fine.

And if you don't do well, don't beat yourself up over it. Believe me, I've done poorly in my SAT, but I managed to get into a decent school, because I persevered and always kept thinking positively. Good luck.
 

gdupninja

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
1,216
Reaction score
7
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
the SAT's aren't necessary to graduate; it's a standardized test used to measure one's ability against every student taking that test. it is used to predict how well you are supposed to do in college though they are no longer claiming that anymore.

for more information, click here
Oh your right Snoogy, you dont need to pass the SAT to graduate. I thought I heard about that someone but im wrong I just checked. Its just to get into college. Different scholorships require different scores like the Gold Seal and Bright Futures Medallion scholorships require you to get a 970 while another scholorship requires a 1270. My bad.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ugh, SATs :/ I was 40 points away from a 2000 but decided not to take it again xD


ah well~

And AGHHHHHHHHHHHH/ I hate school ;___; I hate worrying about my exams and papers and how I did/will do on them ;____;
 

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
2,566
Reaction score
10
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Doesn't it piss you off how you have to pay like a hundred bucks JUST to take the GRE? Argh.

But don't worry about the test itself, it's not that bad.
Gah, I haven't even thought about the cost yet :darn and I'm going to have to take two, since most schools want the literature subject test :wall

Meh, I'm sure it won't be too bad, but it's not the level of difficulty that makes me hate standardized testing. For some reason, I'm not that great at them, for sure, but what I really hate is sitting in those huge rooms for four hours, starving and bored out of my mind :scry

Actually, maybe that's why I don't test well, because I'm always too hungry during them.. damn my metabolism! :shakefist
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
:o if I really read all the comments of you guys, those SATS are something to be taken serious

anyway good luck gdupninja
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Ugh, SATs :/ I was 40 points away from a 2000 but decided not to take it again xD


ah well~

And AGHHHHHHHHHHHH/ I hate school ;___; I hate worrying about my exams and papers and how I did/will do on them ;____;
almost 2000!!!! :omg so smart!!! :XD
 

Epul

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
17
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
So, about this SAT thing, how many points do you usually need to get into a good college??? Does your school exam also counts in your evaluation to get into college? I mean if you get very good SAT results and crappy grades at school, can you get into a good college?
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
So, about this SAT thing, how many points do you usually need to get into a good college??? Does your school exam also counts in your evaluation to get into college? I mean if you get very good SAT results and crappy grades at school, can you get into a good college?
well i took the sat when 1600 was the highest score available. if you wanted to get into a very good college (ivies, top 25), you needed a score at least above 1400 or i might even way 1500.

if you have great grades but a low score on standardized tests, it means that your school inflated the grades. if you had a low gpa but a high sat or act score, it meant that you were not living up to your potential aka lazy in school work.

i know examples of both classes, and most went into decent schools but nothing like the highly selective ones.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Those Sat are they on the same moment for whole country, or does the date depend from state to state and is it an obligation to all schools and students?
 

Samurai キョー

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There are many different test dates for people to take the SATs. For example, I am taking the SATs in June 14th of this yea. And then you could take it again and again until you satisfy yourself with the best score you can get lol. But yeah there are tons of dates for taking the SATs.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
The testing dates are national, usually once a month a few months out of the year. There's multiple locations in each area, usually at local high schools. The current possible score for the SAT is 2400. 800 for math section, 800 for your writing, and 800 for reading and comprehension. A lot of schools don't even look at the writing (an essay) so they look at the composite of the math + reading/comprehension. A top school will want to see anywhere from 1300-1600 from those two sections alone. It depends on the school. But SATs aren't the only factor in an admissions decision at a college. There's a whole slew of other things that are considered for admissions.
 

Calibur

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
92
Reaction score
3
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i scored a 820 or 840 when it was still 2000. or was it 1600. i forgot. i graduated in 05. hahaha. and i still got into a CSU. w00t! =] gg california!
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
But SATs aren't the only factor in an admissions decision at a college. There's a whole slew of other things that are considered for admissions.
exactly. schools consider test scores, grades, activities, community service, leadership position, essays and teacher recommendations altogether. they want to make sure that a student is well-rounded and active. however, they also want to make sure that you are actually involved in your activities (hence why they ask about your time commitment since any discrepancy is a red flag).

i scored a 820 or 840 when it was still 2000. or was it 1600. i forgot. i graduated in 05. hahaha. and i still got into a CSU. w00t! =] gg california!
i'm guessing it's the 1600 one since they started the 2400 version for the class of 2007. i'm glad that i didn't have the writing section since i hate writing an essay under limited time.

do you go to csu northridge? i know someone from that university.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i scored a 820 or 840 when it was still 2000. or was it 1600. i forgot. i graduated in 05. hahaha. and i still got into a CSU. w00t! =] gg california!
what CSU? my bro goes to Cal State LA..

rhapsody blue said:
do you go to csu northridge? i know someone from that university.
I live like 15-20 minutes from CSUN....and I know several people there :D
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
wow :XD this is a cool layout!!! :dance so how's everyone doing?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I am not fine... because my paper's deadline is tomorrow and i haven't started on a single thing. And I wish I could, but I'm tied with org activities that *need* to be done today.
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
I am not fine... because my paper's deadline is tomorrow and i haven't started on a single thing. And I wish I could, but I'm tied with org activities that *need* to be done today.
:comfort bb good luck... :comfort its afternoon there right now right? or noon? u have a day :thumbs hope its not a long paper. :(
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I am not fine... because my paper's deadline is tomorrow and i haven't started on a single thing. And I wish I could, but I'm tied with org activities that *need* to be done today.
you can do it, bb! if i could write a research paper in two hours, you can finish your paper in no time! i have complete faith in you!

~lil~ :glomp

how are you? how was the sat? you did take it this past saturday, right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top