Archived The Hang Out Thread v. 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well, hopefully I'll be out of the restaurant business ASAP. I have an interview tomorrow for a job at Best Buy =) Yay for working electronics and video games and stuff =D
 

Shiro-kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
1,744
Reaction score
372
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Oh, believe me...I know that for a fact! I used to work in fast food...;)
Be careful not to do it around a supervisor or a boss though , you'll be firedx100 lol
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Be careful not to do it around a supervisor or a boss though , you'll be firedx100 lol
I've only done it once or twice, to people that most of the crew hated...besides, that was nearly four years ago...I've been working in a grocery store the past two years...

*facepalm*
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
God I'm glad I'm done with highschool :x exam week is so late D= Some colleges are too, though, I guess. God Bless short, succinct semesters <3 But GL to everyone with their finals and stuff =D

Anyone taking summer courses? I'm taking a 6 week Sociology course, monday/wed 8:30-12:00 starting June 23. Blahhhhh.
Well we have our national exams spread over three weeks i think and it's about 2exams each week plus the non-national tests that we do which gives us like 3 or 4 exams each week and today i was supposed to do a math exam but i got sick ;'( I still have physic and biology exam last week *cheers*

As for summer courses I wont be taking any but i will compensate my grade in Math course B (2nd one in sweden) to get an A and you usually do that during the summers so that it wont collide with your other studies.
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
25, I like pie
So does the majority of the rest of humankind...LOL

:hug
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^lol, one of my best friends doesn't like pie (or any sort of fruit or pudding in dessert). wtf, right?! :o
 

iThePirate

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
3,226
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Oh, believe me...I know that for a fact! I used to work in fast food...;)
i try to avoid fastfood, i can pretty much do it except when im drunk :amuse
Well, hopefully I'll be out of the restaurant business ASAP. I have an interview tomorrow for a job at Best Buy =) Yay for working electronics and video games and stuff =D
>_>
you're gon get fired, you gon steal way to many games n stuff..
<_<
:p
Be careful not to do it around a supervisor or a boss though , you'll be firedx100 lol
my headchef encourages me to be rude to guests if i have a good reason :nod
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^lol, one of my best friends doesn't like pie (or any sort of fruit or pudding in dessert). wtf, right?! :o
same here. my friend and her boyfriend hate pies and cobblers due to the crust. i haven't eaten any pies or dessert for that matter in a long time either since i'm trying to be healthier.

anyway, i got a job this summer which i'm excited for. now i'll have something to do this summer and i'll be making money which makes me happy :)
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
money is always a good thing! am I right?

:p
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
money is always a good thing! am I right?

:p
damn straight, it's a good thing. i'll be making a little bit over minimum wage but it's better than making no money right? plus, i'll be getting store discount which i know that i will be taking advantage of especially since i have to get stuff for my apartment.
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
store discounts FTW!!!! those are awesome, believe you me!

i can save a lot of money with that....
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
heck yeah they are. even if they're only 10-15%, they're still better than nothing. i just hope that i don't spend all my money on it and that i actually save/invest what i earn this summer. god knows how much debt i'll be in after school starts...
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
same here. my friend and her boyfriend hate pies and cobblers due to the crust. i haven't eaten any pies or dessert for that matter in a long time either since i'm trying to be healthier.

anyway, i got a job this summer which i'm excited for. now i'll have something to do this summer and i'll be making money which makes me happy :)
you must have so much self-control! *had some ice cream earlier* -_-;

store discounts FTW!!!! those are awesome, believe you me!

i can save a lot of money with that....
yes! gotta love those perks! but not all store discounts are created equal. some get a percentage off of the retail price and others get to buy things at cost + a certain percentage. if you have the latter type (usually better), you realize just how much certain things are marked up from cost :darn
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I worked at an on-Campus Fast food Restaurant at UCLA at one point, and I needed to learn being a cashier, prepare sandwiches, burgers, chinese food, salads, kitchen duty, and the hardest thing of all, was closing the restaurant during closing hours (you virtually clean the entire restaurant).....all of this, plus you have to deal with bitter customers.

It's difficult during rush-hour, and normally customers tend to be at their most bitter when waiting in longer lines, so having had the experience working this kind of job, I acquired a lot of patience when working with people.

So looking at it this way, it's not all that bad. I've never had to spit at someone's food...as much as I would have liked to.

And also, you gain a lot of respect for people who work these kind of jobs, once you've actually gone through it. So as a customer, I'm always respectful.
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
And also, you gain a lot of respect for people who work these kind of jobs, once you've actually gone through it. So as a customer, I'm always respectful.
Ain't that the truth! :amuse
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
i've worked in the service/retail industry as well and you are so right, miyi. i always try to make it easy on the people waiting on me in any type of retail setting because i know how it feels to be frustrated by impatient/demanding/self-important customers. nice customers always make your day better ^^
 

EvilGenious

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
480
Reaction score
20
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
nice customers are the best! we have one lady that comes in every week and buys $200 in lottery tickets...yes, it is annoying to run those things through, but hell...I get candy in the end and she's the sweetest little old lady in the world!
 

rhapsody blue

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
5,418
Reaction score
772
Gender
Female
Country
United States
you must have so much self-control! *had some ice cream earlier* -_-;
i guess. i usually turn down the food if it's presented before me or i'll ask for the smallest piece. i work out every night (thirty-five minutes on the treadmill plus crunches and lunges) so sometimes i indulge. ^^

yes! gotta love those perks! but not all store discounts are created equal. some get a percentage off of the retail price and others get to buy things at cost + a certain percentage. if you have the latter type (usually better), you realize just how much certain things are marked up from cost :darn
unfortunately, i receive the former. i wish that i got the latter since stores sell things at a higher price than what they purchase the goods for.

I worked at an on-Campus Fast food Restaurant at UCLA at one point, and I needed to learn being a cashier, prepare sandwiches, burgers, chinese food, salads, kitchen duty, and the hardest thing of all, was closing the restaurant during closing hours (you virtually clean the entire restaurant).....all of this, plus you have to deal with bitter customers.

It's difficult during rush-hour, and normally customers tend to be at their most bitter when waiting in longer lines, so having had the experience working this kind of job, I acquired a lot of patience when working with people.

So looking at it this way, it's not all that bad. I've never had to spit at someone's food...as much as I would have liked to.

And also, you gain a lot of respect for people who work these kind of jobs, once you've actually gone through it. So as a customer, I'm always respectful.
i know how you feel. my friends and i worked at the dining halls on my campus and it was an interesting experience. i was lucky and worked at the rec center's food court which wasn't bad but it was hellish to work during the swim meets. my friend maura worked in the setting that you have described and she hated it. it didn't help that she was working at the dining hall which served athletes who did not comprehend all the hard work she and the rest of the workers were doing.

i actually liked closing. i don't know why but i enjoyed cleaning up and restocking stuff. also, it helped that we could take home all the expired food which my guy friends loved.

i definitely agree with the whole respect aspect. i used to be so embarrassed working at the food court but i realize that it wasn't bad and all the work the workers had to do. plus, the customers were usually super nice to me so it made my experience more enjoyable. if i had known that earlier, i would have worked at the dining hall a lot earlier than my senior year.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I worked at an on-Campus Fast food Restaurant at UCLA at one point, and I needed to learn being a cashier, prepare sandwiches, burgers, chinese food, salads, kitchen duty, and the hardest thing of all, was closing the restaurant during closing hours (you virtually clean the entire restaurant).....all of this, plus you have to deal with bitter customers.

It's difficult during rush-hour, and normally customers tend to be at their most bitter when waiting in longer lines, so having had the experience working this kind of job, I acquired a lot of patience when working with people.

So looking at it this way, it's not all that bad. I've never had to spit at someone's food...as much as I would have liked to.

And also, you gain a lot of respect for people who work these kind of jobs, once you've actually gone through it. So as a customer, I'm always respectful.
Yeah, I definitely learned a lot and gained a lot of respect for all aspects of restaurant/food service. You have to put up with a lot of shit in that industry, no matter what your job title is.

but, in fabulously exciting news, I got the job =D The store doesn't open til July 17, but we start training and stocking the store as of June 28. And wheeeeee for kick ass employee discounts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top