The HisshouBuraiKen thread

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
and GG - I feel bad man, I really left you hanging with SJG :( Looks like you got someone to do them though, so I guess it's all good? I swear if I ever have the time I will contact you. SJG deserves to see the light of day (maybe you should drop one of the other 50000 projects Illuminati does, that might help).
It won't because I don't work [much] on it. I organize the work being done on it, and it's an eternal search for a typesetter.

Besides, I like having 50,000 projects. It's fun. Sure, overall the projects go slow, but I don't care. I don't do Edited Mangas for the leechers and downloaders. I do it because I enjoy it. :)

You should read Riki-Oh. It's real cool manga ;p
 

Nell-chan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Good day to you Hisshou,

just wanted to ask u...With which book did u start, I mean learning Japanese. Cause as u surrely know there are like billions of titles, so which one would u recommend.

Thx for the answer
 

c2k

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hi, i want to clear something up concerning your fullmetal translations.

Why did you name the father of edward as "hoenheim" instead of "hohenheim"?
Because considering "Paracelsus" and the german castle "hohenheim" he should be called "hohenheim" or not?
 
Last edited:

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You should read Riki-Oh. It's real cool manga ;p
I'm sure it is, I saw the movie a few years ago. Riki-Oh is awesome.

just wanted to ask u...With which book did u start, I mean learning Japanese. Cause as u surrely know there are like billions of titles, so which one would u recommend.
I started with "Yookoso". It was decent, but I'd recommend you find a good teacher over a good book. My first japanese teacher was excellent, he pushed us hard and after one semester I knew all my hiragana and katakana, basic sentence structure, a little culture and more than a few words. After two semesters I would've been able to pass the JLPT level 4.
So yeah, ask around, read reviews and whatnot.


Hi, i want to clear something up concerning your fullmetal translations.
Why did you name the father of edward as "hoenheim" instead of "hohenheim"?
Because considering "Paracelsus" and the german castle "hohenheim" he should be called "hohenheim" or not?
I'd never even heard of that guy. I was just going by the kana and pronunciation. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look through my old books again and see if there's an official romanization, and whether or not they match.
 

c2k

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Right, i would be pleased if you tell me the results of your "research" when you get it, of course.

Thanks for the effort.
 

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Greetings HisshouBuraiKen

Well, I would like to know what you would recommend me to speed up the learning process. I'm studiying japenese, my problem is not talking in japanese, the fact is that Japanese born as talking language, which is true because I'm learning reallt fast to speak it, specially because I speak spanish and is easier for me since in term of pronunciations and acents is spanish is closer than english is towards japanese. My problem is writing and reading, which alphabet do you recommend me to learn:

Kanji, Hiragana or Kana?

I would like to get into translating (well) as soon as it be possible.

If you know any good online resource please send me the link, I would really appreciate it.


PD: I really admire your translations and If I'm not wrong you also help at DB fansubm awsome work and thanks for doing it.

Peace.
 
Last edited:

Xiphias

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
180
Reaction score
93
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hey HisshouBuraiKen

1. What do you think of Shion no Ou?

2. What books would you recommend to someone that is going to start learning Japanese? (I start lessons next year.)
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
c2k - I didn't see anything in the volumes, but the perfect guidebook 2 does indeed put the extra "h" in there. So well done (it doesn't change the pronunciation of the name or anything but I'll start putting it in from now on.

Alterno - First of all, you need to realize that it's not going to be quick - "soon" is going to be defined in years, not months.

Second, you need to learn all three, but obviously start with hiragana and katakana. With a lot of study you can learn them both in about 3 weeks, and reading them should be second nature after about 3-4 months. Also, FOLLOWING THE STROKE ORDER IS CRUCIAL!

Finally, you need to get a feel for the flow if dialogue and how to write it, not just going from bubble to bubble and translating what's there. That includes sometimes writing english that conveys the "emotion" of a sentence (i.e. surprise, disappointment, anger) rather than the literal meaning, while remaining true to the character and their personality.

Xiphias - I'm enjoying Shion more than I thought I would, but it may just be because I'm getting to learn about Shogi terms :) I'm interested in seeing how the murder mystery is unraveled and watching the characters mature.

Shion, Queen and Carrera are kind of interesting to me because I haven't read much "real-world" type manga, so it's been a new experience for me. Agharta confuses the fuck out of me, though. I read the older chapters in preparation for translating the one you asked for and I think a physical question mark formed over my head for a few minutes ;D

There's no one book I can really recommend to a new student of Japanese - I'd advise you to just absorb as much as you can from whatever textbook you're assigned. If you've got a choice, pick a professor with a reputation for working their students extra hard, it will be worth it.

Oh, and practice your kana by writing each one 50 times and saying the sound out as you write. E.g. Write あ, say "Ah"
Again, FOLLOWING THE STROKE ORDER IS CRUCIAL!

Since you're here, do you plan on continuing all the series you've started or seeing which ones garner the most interest and then just scan those? I've noticed you started discussion threads for them, you gotta advertise those when you put the releases out :ossu
 
Last edited:

Xiphias

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
180
Reaction score
93
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
HisshouBuraiKen - I'm going to keep doing Shion till I run out of raws (I personally wanna see how the mystery ends also). Queen there is a high chance that I'll continue till I run out of raws (My friend keeps bugging me about it). I'm just checking out Carrera and if it interesting I'll continue it also.

Sadly I only have raws to Shion for 3 more volumes. Which is the main reason I'm releasing so slow (Carrera I only have 3 or 4 volumes total). That and I also have two or three people other then myself proofread the translation usually.
 
Last edited:

c2k

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Thanks Hisshou.

Have you bought the perferct guide book, or downloaded it? Because here, where i live, they do not sell these. I looked all over here, but none was found. If you downloaded, could you share the links, because i did not found they at internet either. I mean, a english version, because a japonese version and none to me is the same.
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I haven't seen the Guidebooks available over here, but I don't spend much time in the manga sections at bookstores anyway :P All the manga I have on my computer/backup discs is in Japanese, which is a pain when I wanna show someone a new series!

Moving on....

What a great vacation. No jump for another week! Plenty of time to finish up stuff for Xiph and knock out a YYH or two. Gotta keep up the pace! Must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
 

Viewtiful

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
156
Reaction score
5
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
HisshouBuraiKen, I have a request to make to you. I am a huge Fullmetal Alchemist fan, and by the looks of it, I think you are the only one that translates Fullmetal Alchemist (or am I mistaken? XD). I am always reading your monthly translations. That's not all, though, as I use your translation to make my portuguese Edited Manga (with your permission, I talked to you some months ago). But that's not what I want to say. I have a big request that has nothing to do with the monthly chapters.

Do you know the FMA Omakes? I think Arakawa made a lot of them, and I never saw some of them translated in english! Volume 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17's omakes aren't translated (and volume 18's, too, but I don't know if it has come to internet by now). Did you understand what I want?

Can you please translate these omakes? I looked all over the internet, used Google months, and found nothing. If you want, I have all of them (in japanese, yet) here in my pc, and I can upload them all.

I am waiting for your answer ^^
And don't worry about time, I am waiting for them for longs months, if you wish to take this job, you can take as long as you want =)
 

notBowen

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
428
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
United States
IGotta keep up the pace! Must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
You do watch too much Simpsons don't you.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Hey, Hissh. Have you ever read Rookies or anything by Morita Masanori?

I've started reading his stuff in French, and it's real quality stuff. Especially Shiba Inu, his compilation of oneshots volume.
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you know the FMA Omakes?
I know them and love them dearly. Give me the scans and I'll translate every last one of them (the 4-panel strips, not the big long chapters with Ara-cow-a :P )


Uh oh...feel a sneeze coming on...

Hajuh....

HAJUH...

HA-G-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!



Superbowl party at my place!
 
Last edited:

Viewtiful

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
156
Reaction score
5
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
HisshouBuraiKen, thank you very much! XD

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4x4jic

Here is the download link of every omake I have here.
From volume 12 (including the 4koma Book) until volume 16 + 2 other omakes I found.
The file is a litlle big, but there are lots os pages! =)
 

EnSiFeR

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
94
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Thx a lot Hisshou-sempai... I really appreciate your tls, always on time.... Do you mind if I use them and translate them to spanish? Of course, I would say they were originally made by you... It is just spanish-speaker ppl can read them? Would it be to rude? Thx again...

Edit: I shall add that I trust your translations completely... that is way I am asking... thx
 
Last edited:

thiagojoe

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
55
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hi there, Hisshou, i would like to thank you for all your goor work in Naruto, FMA & YuYu Hakusho... Your translations are nice and fast, and i appreciate them a lot, this way i don't have to wait like a million years to have this manga translated in my country (here in Brazil they are publishing vol. 9, i think so!!!).
I always as myself how do you get time to do your trans so fast if you work and you are married, because your free time must be really short. I work 8h a day, meanwhile I am working on my Master's degree tonight (~4h) and I don't have time to do half of the things i like. I am even scared when i think i'll get married next year!!! :-P hehhehe!!!
Thanks a lot and keep up your good work as long as you can!!!
 

HisshouBuraiKen

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
977
Reaction score
2,198
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, for the paid stuff, I usually work on it late at night or over the weekend. Same for the "Whenever I have time" stuff like YYH. As for the weekly stuff? Well, I just make time. I do them during work when they first come out and make up the time by working through lunch or staying a little later. Then again, people who smoke take like 10 breaks a day so if I waste 3 hours a week translating I'm still not as bad as them :D So I don't feel too bad.

If it makes you feel any better, there's a LOT of stuff I'd like to do that I don't have time for. But that's life I guess - no sense in lamenting it (you just waste more time!)

By the way, if you're Brazilian do you watch the Dattebayo PT-BR subs?
 

thiagojoe

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
55
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Good to see there are people like us who usually don't have the time to do what they like. I wanted to study some language other than english: i tried german, french, and now i'm willing to learn japanese; i wish i am able to learn one of the three (or all of them) after my Master's degree thesis.

I also think there's no use to complain about life, i mean, i'm healthy, i have family and friends, things will come with time. it's just nice to talk this away with new people - like i do in this forum.

About Dattebayo BR fansubs i LOVE them!!! it was my 'religion' to download every friday the latest episode of naruto!!! nowadays i don't watch so regularly, but whenever i get the chance i watch their subbed episodes. You make the trans from japanese to english released in american dattebayo, huh? i always see your names in the credits... what i just hate are the people who curse and tell bad names to dattetabyo's stuff (both en-us and pt-br)!!! i mean, these guys do it for free, release the episodes on the web for no fee and still people want things as fast as lightspeed like they were paid or sth else... just nasty.
 
Top