Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Someone has a chip on his shoulder. I think your dormant insecurities are making you overthink things. The milk is gradually running out, my friend. Time to move on.
I was pointing out some ignorances that were made purposely for the main character of the film that happens to be African American (or British, take your pick), that's all. You obviously don't know history to well. Even critics online are referring to this guy as the "ex janitor" or "Finn" as if he's finn from the Tom Sawyer novels. Do your research before throwing labels at someone, yo.

p.s., Tell the jews to move on about the Holocaust like you telling Blacks to move on from slavery, hypocrite.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I was pointing out some ignorances that were made purposely for the main character of the film that happens to be African American (or British, take your pick), that's all. You obviously don't know history to well. Even critics online are referring to this guy as the "ex janitor" or "Finn" as if he's finn from the Tom Sawyer novels. Do your research before throwing labels at someone, yo.

p.s., Tell the jews to move on about the Holocaust like you telling Blacks to move on from slavery, hypocrite.
So the problem isn't that he was part of the evil, fascist New Order, that commits slaughter on a par with genocide, but that he used to be in sanitation before becoming a stormtrooper? :lmao (not to mention that there's nothing shameful about being in sanitation, they make good livings.) His character development and heroism means nothing then?

And let's please stay on topic and remain civil...
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched Star Wars this past Friday. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie. The audience was quite energetic. The film was a hundred times better than the prequels. Thank you JJ Abrams for delivering a classic. The cast was amazing. Everyone played their part well. However, I was expecting a bit more from Carrie Fisher. BB 8 is so cute and funny!! The two leads have awesome chemistry together. Some people have been complaining about John Boyega but I felt like he did a good job. I feel like he's been catching unwarranted criticism ever since it was revealed he would playing a Black Stormtrooper but whatever people always find reasons to hate. I do wonder if Finn and Rey's relationship will turn romantic in the future films? Kylo Ren is the best Star Wars movie villain since Darth Vader. Put aside the tantrums and normal looking face, he was pretty badass. I can't wait for the next film.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's fine, I didn't even realize there was one either myself. I guess we can go more in-depth there.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
The Norwegian dark fantasy mockumentary, Trollhunter is really good. I highly recommend it
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Second worst imo. Nothing is more disappointing than Quantum of Solace.
I disagree. While Quantum was arguably the most "unbond" Bond movie, simply because he seems more like Jason Bourne in this one, not only the character itself but just through the directing and editing, it was a logical follow-up to Casino Royale, fast-paced (it was shorter by 42 min compared to Spectre), a traceable character arc for Bond and a solid performance by Craig who seemed like he tries at least.
Spectre on the other hand was simply a mess, they tried to put Daniel Craig in a lighter, more conventional James Bond movie, while also riffing on generational nostalgia and long form franchise-building. But none of the parts work and it ends up being an inferior example of all of the above. Both "romances" are immensely forced, the connection to the apparently most evil and powerful villain yet, who was an utter failure as well, not because of Waltz though, holds no weight at all since it simply did not matter and was forced as well (example being "i am the author of all your pain") and the plot was simply ridiculous.
Casino Royale was really good, though not without its flaws either of course, but it has been a steady decline since CR.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
I disagree. While Quantum was arguably the most "unbond" Bond movie, simply because he seems more like Jason Bourne in this one, not only the character itself but just through the directing and editing, it was a logical follow-up to Casino Royale, fast-paced (it was shorter by 42 min compared to Spectre), a traceable character arc for Bond and a solid performance by Craig who seemed like he tries at least.
Spectre on the other hand was simply a mess, they tried to put Daniel Craig in a lighter, more conventional James Bond movie, while also riffing on generational nostalgia and long form franchise-building. But none of the parts work and it ends up being an inferior example of all of the above. Both "romances" are immensely forced, the connection to the apparently most evil and powerful villain yet, who was an utter failure as well, not because of Waltz though, holds no weight at all since it simply did not matter and was forced as well (example being "i am the author of all your pain") and the plot was simply ridiculous.
Casino Royale was really good, though not without its flaws either of course, but it has been a steady decline since CR.
Gotta agree with that. Spectre is the most disappointing, followed by Skyfall. I really don't see why the latter is so liked, I fear all it has is the main villain who shows up halfway through the movie.They even forget to address the issue of the list at some point, and the ending is really not what you'd expect of a Bond movie, rather it looks like something out of Home alone(the part with setting traps etc). Casino Royale is still the best, because it manages to break from the old films formula, that had too many gadgets etc.It even managed to make Bond a real person who could fall in love, and his relationship with Vesper had a huge impact on him. And Quantum can be seen as the continuation of that. I liked the more serious and overall aggressive Bond from Quantum.Spectre is just awful, it's basically the old movies all over again, while it can be seen as a homage,the whole point of the recent movies with Daniel Craig was to break from that tradition.So if I were to rank those movies it would go like this:
1-Casino royale: it's still to this day the best bond movie with Craig
2-Quantum of solace: it's a continuation of CR and it is in general in the same vein, while not being as good as CR obviously.
3-Skyfall: it was a rather underwhelming movie in general for the reasons I explained above.While not as bad as Spectre, it hasn't really managed to be better than CR or even Quantum.I really don't get what the hype is all about.
4-Spectre: the worst of the bunch.The story isn't compelling, the main villain is really not on par with Silva from Skyfall. Some of the worst acting I've seen in my life coming from Lea Seydoux(the blond bond girl). And we're back to using over the top action that doesn't even make sense, like the last explosion at the end.
So yeah Spectre is definitely the worst, worst than Skyfall for sure and Quantum too. I actually liked Quantum more than the last two movies.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Gotta agree with that. Spectre is the most disappointing, followed by Skyfall. I really don't see why the latter is so liked, I fear all it has is the main villain who shows up halfway through the movie.They even forget to address the issue of the list at some point, and the ending is really not what you'd expect of a Bond movie, rather it looks like something out of Home alone(the part with setting traps etc). Casino Royale is still the best, because it manages to break from the old films formula, that had too many gadgets etc.It even managed to make Bond a real person who could fall in love, and his relationship with Vesper had a huge impact on him. And Quantum can be seen as the continuation of that. I liked the more serious and overall aggressive Bond from Quantum.Spectre is just awful, it's basically the old movies all over again, while it can be seen as a homage,the whole point of the recent movies with Daniel Craig was to break from that tradition.So if I were to rank those movies it would go like this:
1-Casino royale: it's still to this day the best bond movie with Craig
2-Quantum of solace: it's a continuation of CR and it is in general in the same vein, while not being as good as CR obviously.
3-Skyfall: it was a rather underwhelming movie in general for the reasons I explained above.While not as bad as Spectre, it hasn't really managed to be better than CR or even Quantum.I really don't get what the hype is all about.
4-Spectre: the worst of the bunch.The story isn't compelling, the main villain is really not on par with Silva from Skyfall. Some of the worst acting I've seen in my life coming from Lea Seydoux(the blond bond girl). And we're back to using over the top action that doesn't even make sense, like the last explosion at the end.
So yeah Spectre is definitely the worst, worst than Skyfall for sure and Quantum too. I actually liked Quantum more than the last two movies.
That´s my take on it as well. Skyfall had at least beautiful shots and usage of color (the fight in the skyscraper, Bond´s arrival in Shanghait etc.) while Spectre did not even have that due to the incredible Roger Deakins not returning for Spectre, though nothing against Hoytema.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Curious, what would you consider Casino Royale's flaws?
These might be entirely subjective but 1) i felt Mikkelsen was underused. I felf Le Chiffre had the potential to be a true nemesis of Bond, maybe even in more than one movie, like Blofeld for example, but he turned out to be disappointing, more bark than bite. 2) it was obvious even back then that they were aiming for a franchise with Chiffre´s "mysterious" killer and the lack of any kind of depiction of Bond´s past. I liked that they made him a vulnerable character but there was more to be explored but as we now know, they did that across three additional movies.
Then there is the usual need to suspend disbelief but i admit that my tolerance is probably lower tan other people´s.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Watched "The Martian", it does what it sets out to do, entertains for 2 hours, has a few good laughs in it, gorgeous to look at and solid performances by its protagonists, with Damon leading the way, but i was missing the human factor a bit, meaning the psychological distress the situation causes in Damon´s character. We do get several scenes in which he records himself but those are mostly used to explain the current situation to the audience. In addition, it unfortunately succumbs to Hollywood clichés towards the last third, and it stretches your suspension of disbelief too much (i am not lying about being reminded of MacGyver at times) but it´s an ok to good movie, 7/10.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
These might be entirely subjective but 1) i felt Mikkelsen was underused. I felf Le Chiffre had the potential to be a true nemesis of Bond, maybe even in more than one movie, like Blofeld for example, but he turned out to be disappointing, more bark than bite. 2) it was obvious even back then that they were aiming for a franchise with Chiffre´s "mysterious" killer and the lack of any kind of depiction of Bond´s past. I liked that they made him a vulnerable character but there was more to be explored but as we now know, they did that across three additional movies.
Then there is the usual need to suspend disbelief but i admit that my tolerance is probably lower tan other people´s.
Yeah same here, I feel le Chiffre could have been an awesome villain, but he got killed too soon. Overall I don't think Casino Royale have that many flaws compared to the movies that followed. It managed to reinvente Bond movies in a way, that is why I didn't like Spectre at all since it's the contrary of CR, and more like the old bond movies.
The only positive note about all these movies is Daniel Craig himself, he usually delivers a good performance despite the movies flaws.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
Watched The Salvation the other day, with Mads Mikkelsen and Eva Green. It's a pretty good Western movie.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I wonder is there any good horror movies released in the past two years? The only two movies that I can remember being decent are It Follows and The Babadook, but even so It Follows is kind of.. disappointing because there are moments when the movie has inconsistent logic which ruined my experience.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I wonder is there any good horror movies released in the past two years? The only two movies that I can remember being decent are It Follows and The Babadook, but even so It Follows is kind of.. disappointing because there are moments when the movie has inconsistent logic which ruined my experience.
I enjoyed The Gift, The Guest and You´re Next but 1) i am hardly a horror fan and do not watch many anyway and 2) to me it seems like the terms "horror movie" and "consistent logic" do not fit at all.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I enjoyed The Gift, The Guest and You´re Next but 1) i am hardly a horror fan and do not watch many anyway and 2) to me it seems like the terms "horror movie" and "consistent logic" do not fit at all.
Oooh I think The Gift looks pretty interesting. No, I didn't mean to say that the movie has to be scientifically sound or anything it's just, I believe at least it has to be consistent with the boundaries and premises that have already been set and shown during the first 20-30ish minutes of the movie.
 
Top