Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Oooh I think The Gift looks pretty interesting. No, I didn't mean to say that the movie has to be scientifically sound or anything it's just, I believe at least it has to be consistent with the boundaries and premises that have already been set and shown during the first 20-30ish minutes of the movie.
The Gift was not a classic horror movie maybe but i thought it was much more scary than most in that genre
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The hateful eight ... not the best Tarantino. It's basically Reservoir Dogs again. Some scenes are good but there is nothing amazing about it. The only thing I will remember from the movie is the scene involving the son of a general because it was slightly disturbing.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
The hateful eight ... not the best Tarantino. It's basically Reservoir Dogs again. Some scenes are good but there is nothing amazing about it. The only thing I will remember from the movie is the scene involving the son of a general because it was slightly disturbing.
Tarantino movies have always been bigger than life and exaggerated, whether it´s the dialogue, the accents, the attempt to create iconic scenes etc but for the first time with Hateful Eight, i did not buy most of it. Jackson does what he has always done since Pulp Fiction, and he does it well and credibly, the rest was disappointing.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Saw Charlie Kaufman's new movie Anomalisa yesterday. I am a sucker for good writing so this was a refreshing way to start the year with one of my passions. I found the movie very easy to relate to, the dialogue is simple yet it opens so much feelings as the main character is often pointing out. The most mundane things said could mean tons. It's a very meta film as it deconstructs love and loneliness as well as the human condition to never be satisfied with a given situation.

The movie throws you in a pit of despair but gives so much hope. The movies moves very fast so by the time you figure out you are at the end you are longing for more.

It depicts love as faulty, CAN there be true love? Can it happen during the course of a day? Does one love ruin another? Does love ruin families? Does love ruin and is just a selfish feeling? Finally is there one VOICE of love that makes all the rest of the world seems as they are the same? Is there a THEM against you and your love? It puts these questions on a higher plane and it deconstructs them taking you back to reality and leaving you with questions of sadness, longing, memories, tenderness, confusion.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Have any of you seen Spotlight? American movie of the year for me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw PointBreak earlier this week. It was pretty awesome and amazing. I loved how epic and cool it was with all the stunts and conquer the Ozaki 8, the 8 challenges to reach Enlightenment. It was a good backstory for this.

Visuals were stunning, the high levels of broship was amazing too, and it was just fun all around. Was definitely in my top 5 movies of 2015.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Good Dinosaur was a letdown. It didn't feel like a Pixar film, it was more Disney or Dreamworks. Actually, essentially it was Ice Age all over again. It had very beutifull photorealistic world, mountains, forests, flowing water. It was beautifully rendered, very athmospheric cinematography. And then in contrast the dinosaurs were the most cartoony design ever. It didn't really work imho. Though to be fair, if the backgrounds had been cartoony as well, it would have been even closer to Ice Age. Also, what deep west has to do with dinosaurs? That was really weird combo, it was really hard to get in the world and relate.

There were some cute critters and funny heartwarming bits, but that's about what was good in the film. Beautifull rendering though, and incredible water simulation. Otherwise meh.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Saw Charlie Kaufman's new movie Anomalisa yesterday. I am a sucker for good writing so this was a refreshing way to start the year with one of my passions. I found the movie very easy to relate to, the dialogue is simple yet it opens so much feelings as the main character is often pointing out. The most mundane things said could mean tons. It's a very meta film as it deconstructs love and loneliness as well as the human condition to never be satisfied with a given situation.

The movie throws you in a pit of despair but gives so much hope. The movies moves very fast so by the time you figure out you are at the end you are longing for more.

It depicts love as faulty, CAN there be true love? Can it happen during the course of a day? Does one love ruin another? Does love ruin families? Does love ruin and is just a selfish feeling? Finally is there one VOICE of love that makes all the rest of the world seems as they are the same? Is there a THEM against you and your love? It puts these questions on a higher plane and it deconstructs them taking you back to reality and leaving you with questions of sadness, longing, memories, tenderness, confusion.
These are all consequences of the meaning behind the movie but in its essence, it´s really about seeing and treating others as "real" persons instead of just a construct of your mind. I was taken aback at first by all characters having the same face voice except Michael himself (and later on Lisa of course) but the name of the hotel was a dead giveaway (for more, look up Fregoli Delusion). His career in customer service also fits with that perfectly since it is an epitome pretentious interaction and the fact that you often forget that there is another human on the other side of the call.
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Black Mass was so-so, it just seemed very weak. Plus, Johnny Depp's look in the film creeped me out a little lol
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not sure which use of music I like better; both use it in contrasting fashion and Cloverfield gives an eerier sound to its track.

There's been a lot of featurettes of DC's Dawn of Justice League since yesterday, nothing too revealing, just bits and pieces with the respective actors, except the brief clip from the Wonder Woman film that we see.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire


MH Oscars Contest 2016

Hello to all movie-enthusiasts and casual viewers! It is the award season once again. It all culminates on 28th of February at the 88th Academy Awards ceremony where this years Oscars are handed to the best cinematic feats of 2015, To celebrate the year in film, we at Mangahelpers are hosting our own Oscar winners poll, with the chance to win your own Oscar. As an award badge.

Rules:
- Go here and pick your candidates
- The user with the most correct guesses wins the award. Remember to leave your username in the poll.
- Only 1 entry allowed. In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts.
-In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the Big 5 Categories wins. (Best Film, Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories)
-There is time to vote untill February 28th 7.00 PM EST // February 29th 12.00 AM GMT
- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favorites in the thread. Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly recommended.​


Go to the Oscars thread to discuss your pick! The Oscars Thread
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Would have never guessed that, of the superhero movies coming out this year, I'd be looking forward to Suicide Squad the most but that trailer has me sold on it. I'm more of a Mavel than a DC guy but it looks like it could be significantly better than the rest of the comic book movies coming out this year.

My kneejerk reaction to various superhero the trailers has been...

Deadpool looks like the kind of movie that will be a fun afternoon but when I see it on cable later I change the channel.
Batman VS Superman looks like the kind of movie that would be "ok" if it weren't 30 mins longer than it should be.
Captain America 3 looks like it's going to try and do too much and be too serious for it's own good.
Suicide Squad looks like it's going to be all fun characters and utter mayhem.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well, I've seen similar sentiments in regards to people being way more hyped for Suicide Squad then they thought. Some even say that they're definitely looking forward to it more than Batman vs Superman. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to any of them (and when I say that, I mean enough for me to see it in theaters), but I think Suicide Squad might be at the top of the list. The only thing that annoys me about it is Will Smith being cast. Feels like they insisted on having a "name" in the film. Hopefully he won't be too distracting.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
Would have never guessed that, of the superhero movies coming out this year, I'd be looking forward to Suicide Squad the most but that trailer has me sold on it. I'm more of a Mavel than a DC guy but it looks like it could be significantly better than the rest of the comic book movies coming out this year.

My kneejerk reaction to various superhero the trailers has been...

Deadpool looks like the kind of movie that will be a fun afternoon but when I see it on cable later I change the channel.
Batman VS Superman looks like the kind of movie that would be "ok" if it weren't 30 mins longer than it should be.
Captain America 3 looks like it's going to try and do too much and be too serious for it's own good.
Suicide Squad looks like it's going to be all fun characters and utter mayhem.
Hey I'm not even a fan of superhero movies, but I can tell that Suicide Squad looks more promising than the rest. :verily
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, I've seen similar sentiments in regards to people being way more hyped for Suicide Squad then they thought. Some even say that they're definitely looking forward to it more than Batman vs Superman. I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to any of them (and when I say that, I mean enough for me to see it in theaters), but I think Suicide Squad might be at the top of the list. The only thing that annoys me about it is Will Smith being cast. Feels like they insisted on having a "name" in the film. Hopefully he won't be too distracting.
I feel like that would have been more of a distraction a few years ago when he was more of a big name than he is now. It's been a while since he was in a hit movie.

I'm hoping the Dead Shot character can be for Will Smith what John Wick was for Keanu Reaves and what Tony Stark was for Robert Downey Jr. Some roles just fit actors really well and I'm hopeful that's what Dead Shot will be. Dead Shot is the least crazy/evil person on the team and ground the others while trying to maybe turn over a new leaf and see his daughter. That is right in Will Smith's wheelhouse. As long as he can act grizzled and not ham it up he could be awesome.
 
Top