Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
I'll be pretty shocked if the Warcraft movie does well. Either in terms of being good or getting people in theater seats to see it.

The fandom is still quite large, and there are obviously a huge number of lapsed players, so maybe they can capitalize on nostalgia a bit but to me it's like the all the other movies that came about because people got in a room, got stoned, and said "There should be a movie of this." and somehow convinced somebody they were right. Sometimes that works out but not usually. I look it the same way I do the Assassins Creed movie. Best case I think it will turn out like the fantasy equivalent of the Hitman movies. Worst case... the D&D movies or the Dragon Ball movie.

Or this little gem..
​
I don't think it can do worse than the Super Mario movie. :lmao
It's really the lowest point, you can't do worse than that.
But yeah I agree about the fact that someone was most likely high when he thought about adapting this, and pretty much any video game or manga franchise, and the result is usually pretty bad (looking at you DB evolution).
So yeah it should appeal to the fans, but that's it.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'll be pretty shocked if the Warcraft movie does well. Either in terms of being good or getting people in theater seats to see it.

The fandom is still quite large, and there are obviously a huge number of lapsed players, so maybe they can capitalize on nostalgia a bit but to me it's like the all the other movies that came about because people got in a room, got stoned, and said "There should be a movie of this." and somehow convinced somebody they were right. Sometimes that works out but not usually. I look at it the same way I do the Assassins Creed movie. Best case I think it will turn out like the fantasy equivalent of the Hitman movies. Worst case... the D&D movies or the Dragon Ball movie.
If it's at least as decent and "non-laughable" as the trailer seems to be, it definitely can do well. If we're purely talking about movies based on video games, I don't think any that has been made even approaches the depth of story that WC has. Super Mario Bros is kind of a silly comparison honestly, since it really barely bears resemblance to the game, which isn't really surprising, since when thinking about the Mario Bros franchise and making a movie of it, what could expectations of such a thing be, really? Especially it it's live action.

Ultimately, if made well it could have all of the makings of any successful fantasy franchise. There's more than enough meat there. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but Duncan Jones has at least shown the ability to tell a story.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If it's at least as decent and "non-laughable" as the trailer seems to be, it definitely can do well. If we're purely talking about movies based on video games, I don't think any that has been made even approaches the depth of story that WC has. Super Mario Bros is kind of a silly comparison honestly, since it really barely bears resemblance to the game, which isn't really surprising, since when thinking about the Mario Bros franchise and making a movie of it, what could expectations of such a thing be, really? Especially it it's live action.

Ultimately, if made well it could have all of the makings of any successful fantasy franchise. There's more than enough meat there. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but Duncan Jones has at least shown the ability to tell a story.
The point I was trying to make is that, when it comes to game to movie adaptations, history has a certain pattern. Maybe Warcraft will buck the trend but I'm not really expecting it too. I know that Warcraft has a lot of lore but so do a lot of games and it didn't help them.

Like what are the most successful video game movies?
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Prince of Persia
  • Mortal Kombat
  • The Resident Evil Franchise
  • Silent Hill
  • The Hitman franchise
  • Need for Speed
  • Max Payne
  • Street Fighter

It's a pretty entrenched pattern at this point and I'm not really sure I see any reason to expect Warcraft to break out of it. Isn't the general rule that, in order for a movie to break even, it's got to earn double it's production budget? Warcraft supposedly has a 100 million dollar production budget. If that's true it's going to have to make 200 million dollars. That's a lot of money for a videogame movie.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The point I was trying to make is that, when it comes to game to movie adaptations, history has a certain pattern. Maybe Warcraft will buck the trend but I'm not really expecting it too. I know that Warcraft has a lot of lore but so do a lot of games and it didn't help them.

Like what are the most successful video game movies?
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Prince of Persia
  • Mortal Kombat
  • The Resident Evil Franchise
  • Silent Hill
  • The Hitman franchise
  • Need for Speed
  • Max Payne
  • Street Fighter

It's a pretty entrenched pattern at this point and I'm not really sure I see any reason to expect Warcraft to break out of it. Isn't the general rule that, in order for a movie to break even, it's got to earn double it's production budget? Warcraft supposedly has a 100 million dollar production budget. If that's true it's going to have to make 200 million dollars. That's a lot of money for a videogame movie.
As long as the movie does not start with a narrator it might have a chance, however slim... Aren't most of those films, barring a couple, relatively successful though? While most are critically panned to put it mildly, most seem to have made money at least.

To me the biggest issue with warcraft at this point is that it will seem like a poor man's lord of the rings. You have humans battling orcs... What games does the movie take from? Gotta say, I know nothing of what happened before warcraft III.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's a pretty entrenched pattern at this point and I'm not really sure I see any reason to expect Warcraft to break out of it. Isn't the general rule that, in order for a movie to break even, it's got to earn double it's production budget? Warcraft supposedly has a 100 million dollar production budget. If that's true it's going to have to make 200 million dollars. That's a lot of money for a videogame movie.
Nah, history is definitely on the side of it being a failure as far as being good cinema at least. That's why I said the trailer looks better than it has any business being. I'm only saying that the source material for this franchise has way, WAY more promise than any of the movies you listed if the first movie is deemed a success.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As long as the movie does not start with a narrator it might have a chance, however slim... Aren't most of those films, barring a couple, relatively successful though? While most are critically panned to put it mildly, most seem to have made money at least.

To me the biggest issue with warcraft at this point is that it will seem like a poor man's lord of the rings. You have humans battling orcs... What games does the movie take from? Gotta say, I know nothing of what happened before warcraft III.
That a list of the most successful and only about a fourth broke even or made some money. Beneath those are nothing but a pile of shattered dreams.

Here's the full list.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
As long as the movie does not start with a narrator it might have a chance, however slim... Aren't most of those films, barring a couple, relatively successful though? While most are critically panned to put it mildly, most seem to have made money at least.

To me the biggest issue with warcraft at this point is that it will seem like a poor man's lord of the rings. You have humans battling orcs... What games does the movie take from? Gotta say, I know nothing of what happened before warcraft III.
True, but none of those listed were considered successful in both ways. I think this movie could be, potentially. That's more than I could say for those movies.

It obviously draws inspiration from Tolkien. But the story is way less black and white than Tolkien ever was. Coincidentally, it might end up being somewhat topical as far current events go as well.

A lot of retconning went on with the story prior to WC3, but the basics are still there.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Batman v Superman was horrible. I sat in the cinema, and thought to myself, that this must be a dream. I can't really be watching this. None of it made any sense, there was hardly any structure to the story, a ton of completly pointless scenes that didn't relate to anything that was happening, dialogue was like those Minion-memes abd out of context Coelho quotes you see on Facebook. So much slow-motion posing that it was ridiculous. It was really a dream-like experience. After you wake up and think about it, you can hardly remember anything, and all that you remember do not make much sense. It felt like they took two to three scenes from 3-4 different films, and out them together. I thought that the trailer already told the story, but thought that seeing the film would clear the causal connections. Nope. Frankly speaking, the trailer was a better narrative story than the actual film.

0/5.

Only good things in the film were Jeremy Irons' Alfred and Wonderwomans/Lex Luthors theme songs. Zimmer still know how to do big sounds. And it was fun to talk shit about the film over a few beers after seeing it.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did you like Ben Affleck's Batman? I had heard that his performance was actually really good.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,386
Reaction score
12,174
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw it last night. Batfleck was probably the most inoffensive of the main characters. Lex was too zany, Supes was just there, and WW was kinda plain. His motivations were clear at least.

Some of the technical choices are quite baffling, especially on a film of this "magnitude" so to speak. I mean, if you're a fan of Bats and Supes and were looking forward to watching them duke it out, you'll get what you want, but not until you sit through nearly 2 hours of jumbled build up.

I'd give it a 2.5/5. Rent it if you want to see it. If you must make it a theatre experience, go see the matinee with your student ID for the discount.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Did you like Ben Affleck's Batman? I had heard that his performance was actually really good.
I saw it last night. Batfleck was probably the most inoffensive of the main characters. Lex was too zany, Supes was just there, and WW was kinda plain. His motivations were clear at least.
Nope. I did not like Affleck's Batman. Though in all honestly, that might be more due to the script and the direction rather than Afflecks actual acting chops. One of the reasons why I didn't like this Batman, was that for me his motivations were far from clear. I never understood during the whole film, why he was so hell-bent on killing Superman. Sure, he thought that Superman was irresponsible hypochrite (which he was in the film) and that Superman caused too much collateral damage. But that does not still explain how murderous this Batman was towards Superman. Maybe he didn't consider Superman a human because of his race as kryptonian? That would mean that the protagonist of this film was a racist. My Batman has always been strict about his no-kill policy and certain honor code. This Batman did not shy about killing or using excessive and humiliating violence. This Batman also nullified the justification his own 30-year crime-fighting career by himself in one sentence, that was very un-Batmannish thing to say. This Batman felt like he has stick in his ass all the time. Even when playing playboy Bruce Wayne.

I hated pretty much every character in the film. Batman just was angry all the time at everything and everyone (murderous brute), Superman was huge hypochrite ("That Bat-vigilante is worst scum of the earth. But I can do whatever the fuck I feel like doing when fighting crime and injustice"), Lex was even more mentally unstable Mark Zuckenberg (though I kinda liked that at times, but longer the film went on, the more stupid it got), Wonder Woman was just there to do epic poses and kick the ass off yet another CGI-orc, Louis Lane was completly flavorless and the other Justice League cameos were just pointlesly long. Only enjoyable thing was Irons' Alfred. He was fun.
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I personally don't mind this darker version of Batman. Batman killed criminals in the earlier comics before his character was reinvented as a vigilante who never took life, so it's not like Zack Synder didn't do his homework.
Anyway despite all the negative feedback this film is receiving, I still want to see it and judge it for myself.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,386
Reaction score
12,174
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nope. I did not like Affleck's Batman. Though in all honestly, that might be more due to the script and the direction rather than Afflecks actual acting chops. One of the reasons why I didn't like this Batman, was that for me his motivations were far from clear.
The way I saw it, Batman didn't trust that Superman would always be good and felt that he had to basically kill him before he had a chance turn on humanity. Shallow as hell, but clearer than Superman's motivation and Wonder Woman's motivation. Lex's motivations were probably the second most clear, though I still don't know why he actually wanted Batman gone. Acting wise, compared to everyone else, Affleck actually felt appropriate most of the time.

As you mentioned, everyone else was different shades of bad or boring. I forgot about Alfred, but he was entertaining. Both him and Lawerence Fishbourne's Perry White. I actually liked the other cameos.

I didn't like Flash popping out of nowhere in the middle of the movie. That was stupid, but I liked the montage of them showing the heroes in little clips. Well, I liked Flash's and Aquaman's. Cyborg's sucked.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 8 / 10

Overall, I am satisfied with the film as a whole. From what I've gathered, DC and Warner Bros. made a bold move at the end of the film, but I think that will make it all the more interesting to see how everything plays out with the next slate of movies to come before Justice League, Part 2 and not Part 1. Does it feel like they are rushing towards a JL film with this movie, yes, but let's not forget it worked for Marvel with "Iron Man 2", even though that movie wasn't perfect.

The relationship between Batman and Superman is at odds and I like the idea that the two of them bumped heads more with each other as Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne versus their public identities as Batman and Superman. The real idea behind this movie is pretty simple, it's basically how the world will react / respond to a being like Superman and it's continued from "Man of Steel" in this film. You could say, the plot point from MoS in regards to Superman becoming a public icon would change the world forever and I think, that was made clear with the actions of Bruce Wayne / Batman and Lex Luthor.

I think, Lex Luthor's character was the oddest version on screen I've seen and noway can be compared with Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey's Luthor, but I think, that was the point. Lex was brought in for the obvious reasons, but it appears Lex Luthor in this film has been doing heavy research on all beings with power and shows his difficulties with feeling inferior to that much like Bruce Wayne / Batman. The difference between the two billionaires (hmm) is that one has a morale and the other does not.

Superman struggles with the very thing that his father warned him about in MoS and Martha Kent is there to help him through it as well as Lois Lane. There is a balance that Clark has similar to what Bruce has with Alfred. There is a major back story to tell on Batman, since it's mentioned that he's been in action for 20 years in Gotham City (this could be what Marvel does with Spider-Man in Civil War) and the Robin costume can attest to that. There is definitely a lot to look forward to just off what this one film is setting up.

All I can say is, Wonder Woman is "WONDERFUL" and really gets things going towards the final battle. Really looking forward to her solo film next summer, she's going to change the game big time and I really wanted to see her fight more in the film, but they really teased it.

In regards to the story, for me, almost all the comic book based films I've seen, even since the 90's, have always had weak story plots, but for the most part made up for that with great action and adventure and that's what I want in a comic book film period. I don't need a serious plot line, I want to be dazzled by what I see as well. For example, "Deadpool" was great, not the best story, but action packed and funny.

"FUNNY" is a secret to the success of any comic franchise in my opinion, if you don't have humor, you lose your audience and that's probably the only thing that wasn't really there in BvS is humor. DC needs to have more humor in their films and they'll be on the same line of success as Marvel.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, I enjoyed the movie pretty much. It really needed better direction though!

Quick Rule of thumb: If you get to a sequence and you are going 'WTF??' Just assume it is a DREAM SEQUENCE and everything will be OK. :XD
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I liked the batman movie. Visually it was amazing and an overall improvement over man of steel. My main complain would be plot to be honest. It felt rush and plenty of things could have been explained more. I don't have an issue with how any of the characters were portrayed to be honest, however to a great extent it felt like everyone (but superman) was wasted a bit. As in, more could have been done to develop them. It felt like there was a decent bit more behind each character but none of it was explained. Doomsday was not as bad as I thought it would be but I wouldn't have mind him being spikier.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Captain America: Civil War" and "X-Men: Apocalypse" are coming up in May and I think, X-Men is going to be a surprise big time. It may be better than Civil War, but I hope, the Russo Brothers keep everything focused on Captain America and not him with the Avengers. And Spider-man's cameo will be nice too.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just got around to seeing Batman V Superman this afternoon and I have some thoughts. Starting with the good...

Positive #1 Liked a lot of the casting. Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons make a great Bruce Wayne and Alfred. Almost everyone was good in their roles.

Positive #2 Wonder Woman fighting was awesome. One of my favorite parts of the movie and I didn't go in knowing or caring about the character much at all. Yet I came away thinking Wonder Woman is pretty cool.

Positive #3 I enjoyed the final 10 minutes.

Ok, that does it for the positives. Now onto the negatives.

Negative #1 Zack Snyder. He really F'd up with this movie IMO. It's too long by at least an hour. There was 1000% too much pointless slow motion. Uses way to much film grain effect. His direction also shows a fundamentally lack of understanding of either Batman or Superman in the way they both were portrayed. Parts of the theatrical cut also make literally no sense(like the distopian future flash forward).

Negative #2
Eisenberg's twitchy Lex Luthor was terrible. I realize they were going for something different but that something different was terrible. He was annoying to watch and basically seemed like somebody who obviously belonged in a mental institution from the moment he was introduced. He brought almost nothing to the role.

Negative #3 I like Amy Adams but she's a terrible Lois Lane. I thought in Man of Steel that was just the flaws in the movie but, no, she's just not good in that role. She's just boring.

Negative #4 The writing. Oh sweet Jesus the writing. The story is a humorless mess that didn't do anything well. Which to me shows that the cast deserves some credit because they were working with nothing.

Negative #5 I checked my watch 17 times.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Cool rogue one trailer. I am excited for it.... The hooded figure at the end kneeling before what seems an hologram does not strike me as darth vader. Vader does not use hoods, he does not need one. I think it will be an inquisitor tasked with dealing with the heroes.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i'm not a horror movie guy but anything about clowns are creepy to me....


looks entertaining.
 
Top