Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 97 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old horror flicks are gold. I've seen a bunch, we had a club in uni. Once a month we gathered to drink and watch b-films all thorough the night. Can't honestly even remember all the films.

If plausible, we usually had VHS or Betamax copies.
That sounds like a blast. I've always enjoyed B-movies, Rodger Coreman has given much much joy over the years, but until I had made a point of seeing the original Blob I just hadn't delved into the ones from this era.

There is just such a charm to them. Even the bad ones have goofy costumes or questionable miniatures which are entertaining in their own way. And with the short runtimes even if I don't like it, it's over in like 70 mins and I can move on to something else.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There is no chance of getting like Batman V Superman'd where I hate it but I'm stuck there for like 3 hours being miserable.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Old horror is great - to be honest, I actually [as a general rule] far prefer them to modern jump-scare movies horror films

Many modern directors get rather lazy when making horror films, often falling into the same tried and tested tropes that make the films more than a little predictable

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old horror is great - to be honest, I actually [as a general rule] far prefer them to modern jump-scare movies horror films

Many modern directors get rather lazy when making horror films, often falling into the same tried and tested tropes that make the films more than a little predictable
Yeah, though I should admit I'm not actually one for spooky horror movies in general. Never have been. I'm just not entertained by the "creepy little girl" or "spooky house" movies. Not unless they are REALLY campy like Thirteen Ghosts. And if the movie is over 90 mins, I'm out. To be honest when I'm looking for a horror movie I'm usually not looking for "a good movie". I'm looking for a combinations of thrills and entertainment.

It's why playing The Quarry was so fun for me.

When I sit down to watch a horror movie. That's really the ideal thing I want to watch.

Reactions: z.5

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I have not. Looks like a bit more of drama. I take it I should consider watching it?
It's closer to a drama than it is horror, yeah. It's one of those classic movie staples.

I'm perfectly ok with dated or silly movies. Campy-ness is a plus for me, if anything. But I'll check it out anyway there is something about this era of movies that really appeals to me.
I figured as much. Well, The Haunting isn't really that kind of pulp or exploitation type film, but I'd still consider it an underrated classic just due to how unique it is. It really leans into the horror of your imagination rather than your typical movie monster, etc.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually excited for a few of these. Daredevil returning is great. Was a big fan of that netflix show. After seeing the Loki show, I'm all in on anything Kang and James Gunn Guardians movies are the best MCU movies for my tastes. So a lot to like there.

Secret Wars... I don't know about. The comic event was sort of a soft universe reset. Where every character that wasn't in a desirabe place creatively suddenly turned out to be a pod person. Are they going to do that or something different with it? Not sure. Either way, in order for it to be good they need Deadpool, IMO.

Don't know what Echo is.

Blade is sort of a weird side thing for Marvel. So could go either way with that.

Captain America... is Steve Rodgers for me. Any other character there isn't something I'm going to be into. Doesn't matter who it is.

Fantastic Four... man, Disney just don't. Just bury it. Unless it's a theatrical release of the Rodger Coreman one. In which case, I'm all in.

Anyway, as for movie watching, just checked out The Greyman on Netflix.

It was decent. Very disapointing from the perspetive of somebody who has read the book. They went pretty far from the source material and not in a good way. For example, he isn't nameless his name is Cortland Gentry. There is no little girl. And there are no flashbacks. And not nearly as many set piece action scenes. The original is very "Borne Identity". Also a lot of sweeping drone shots, not sure what I think about those. However, if you just take it as what it is, which is an action movie, pretty entertaining. Best part is Chris Evans having a hell of a good time playing a sociopath.

Anyway, enjoyable afternoon watch if you don't mind an action movie with some flaws.

Last edited:

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Echo is a re-occurring character in Daredevil

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The lineup for future marvel movies looks decent. Definitely looking forward to GotG.

I am surprised about the echo show.... As far as the hawkeye series, I found her to be the least entertaining thing in it. On top of that, and perhaps at risk of being a tad politically incorrect, I don't find the prospect of a lead who does not utter a word during an entire series to be appealing at all.

Secret wars following a kang based avengers film seems... weird? I wouldn't mind them bringing in the beyonder.

I am not 100% sure of how blade works in the comics but if its anything like in the old films then it seems like an odd fit for disney. Blade is basically carrying out vampire genocide. And sure, vampires are basically comically evil in general but still. I hope deadpool appears in this and makes weasly snipes jokes.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Echo show might be also related to bringing Daredevil to MCU. She is DDs on/off love interest in the comics after all. The fact she doesn't speak is no problem at all. Think stuff like Primal, or Samurai Jack. Dialogue isn't necessary for strong audio visual storytelling like at all.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just watched two very enjoyable movies.

Death on the Nile. Which was the next in the Kenneth Branagh Hercule Poirot adaptations. Very good. Didn't quite live up to Murder on the Orient Express but I still liked it. The biggest difference between the two was that this one is almost a half hour longer. Which is honestly a half hour longer that it should be. Once it gets going it's great but it wastes a lot of time in the first act.

Then I watched Prey. Which was the new predator movie set in the 1700s. Which was great. The commanche vs predator thing turned out to be a great combo. Beautiful looking movie too, they made the most of the setting visually.

Last edited:

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Prey was awesome bruv...alil bit more faster pace then the 1st movie....
But kinda gave me the same vibe....plus I loved they aged his/her gear

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
They had a similar feel in the 3rd act, for sure. It was without a doubt the highest quality predator movie we've gotten since the first one. Just in terms of like screenwriting. Everything was set up and paid off in ways that were quite satisfying.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
They had a similar feel in the 3rd act, for sure. It was without a doubt the highest quality predator movie we've gotten since the first one. Just in terms of like screenwriting. Everything was set up and paid off in ways that were quite satisfying.
Loved her bro...reminded me of a young Billy xD

Waiting for HD Nope:x3

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie - The vibrantly colorful art style combined with Ducktales/Spiderverse-esque bleeds and raster is total eye candy. The action sequences are extremely epic and very anime, in a good way. The plot in general is a bit basic and there are some pacing issues, but the giggles and the action are enough to carry the movie. And the dramatic scenes are not that bad either.

5/5 for fans of RoTMNT 3/5 for the rest. Please watch it a lot for RoTMNT to have a chance getting un-cancelled.

Bob's Burgers: The Movie - The chances are that if you like the show, you love the movie. It's pretty similar to the show, but with more musical numbers, higher frame rate, more attention to detail in art and a grander plot, which leads a surprisingly dramatic and tense lowest point. I cried a little. Fun and wholesome. The character designs look a little odd in more fluid animation, but you get used to it pretty fast.

5/5 for fans, 3/5 for others.

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Prey (2022).

Alien vs Predator (2004)

To figure out which is the better yautja heroine film.

Not certain why AvP wasn't more popular, its one of the best installments in the franchise.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Prey (2022) - Athmospheric and stylish action thriller. Solid story within action film standards, with a very intriguing setting and absolutely stunning scenery. No mindless rollercoaster action, but a very slow build up, where every scene is important and builds up to a very satisfying finale. Builds up the tension well and the bloodshed is very well choreographed and clean. Not millions of components flying thorough the screen, but simple yet impressive. Only negative I can think of is, that I wish the Comanche had actually talked their native tongue thorough the film. But that's a lot expected from an American film. Plus points for being a modern film that was significantly shorter than 2 hours. Very optimized length.

Best new action film I've seen since Fury Road 4/5

Last edited:

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Language barrier could have been dealt with speaking Comanche...hell they did it well with Dancing with Wolves and The Last Mohican.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Prey (2022) - Athmospheric and stylish action thriller. Solid story within action film standards, with a very intriguing setting and absolutely stunning scenery. No mindless rollercoaster action, but a very slow build up, where every scene is important and builds up to a very satisfying finale. Builds up the tension well and the bloodshed is very well choreographed and clean. Not millions of components flying thorough the screen, but simple yet impressive. Only negative I can think of is, that I wish the Comanche had actually talked their native tongue thorough the film. But that's a lot expected from an American film. Plus points for being a modern film that was significantly shorter than 2 hours. Very optimized length.

Best new action film I've seen since Fury Road 4/5
There actually is a Comanche cut of it. It's a dub, I think. It's available on hulu.

Personally, I like it just fine as is though. The cultural elements are what's important the language less so. But I'm glad that exists for the people out there that do want that. Native amercians in movies are often cast as either the victims or the villains. Prey showcased them as a culture of hunters. Which was sort of perfect for a Predator movie.

And could not agree more about the virtue of being a movie that comes in under two hours. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many movies come in at 120min+ range. Being too long can turn a good movie into an average one.

Crisp editing and restraint are undervalued features in a movie.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yup. 100 minutes really should be enough to tell almost any story.

As much as I love LotR, I blame it for the trend of films going longer and longer.

Lightyear - Visually very impressive CGI film, with incredible lighting of the scenes. However, it's so visually stylized that it feels almost hollow at times, no rough edge at all. First two acts are a bit to the generic boring side, but some of the emotional beats hit the spots and the message the film builds up to is actually quite fresh and beautiful Career, duty and fame don't matter really matter, the time you have should also be spent with friends and family, not only at work. Enjoy what you have in the moment.

I'm not quite sure how to rate it. I think I would have been more bored and less moved if I had not drank a full bottle of wine while watching. Bonus points for Sox, the robot kitty cat. They were adorable.

2½/5. Beautiful visuals just won't substitute a strong script.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Everything Everywhere All at Once - I wanna keep this short. Simply brilliant. I've never experienced a film where I've simultaneously laughed and cried at the scene, because it's heart-breaking and batshit insanely hilarious at the same time. And that was FOUR times during this films. Editing was superb, Michel Yeoh unbelievable and the Daniels really out did themselves this time.

Best film I've seen in ages. Needs rewatching, but very potential all-time favorite contender. Truly a masterpiece film. 5/5.

Last edited: