Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
It's the superior experience by far.

It's not like I'm seeking it out, my local cinema has both IMAX and normal theaters. It isn't a hard choice to spend $3 or $4 more for me.
Wow you speak like a Lannister. A Lannister always pay his debts watches in IMAX.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'd always go IMAX unless I'm going with friends who easily get put off by that. The prices are more than I'd like to pay but I find my way to make it up. I want to enjoy the films in the best possible environment.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
What is IMAX?

I agree though, if you actually want to get the best experience, watch it at home
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
wtf are your homes like? Do you have expensive home theaters? :lmao

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------




Wow you speak like a Lannister. A Lannister always pay his debts watches in IMAX.
I don't really see how it's even a matter of opinion...but ok
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
wtf are your homes like? Do you have expensive home theaters? :lmao
You can pause what you are watching anytime, you can pee and not missed some scenes, and it's more comfortable at home. There's no place like home.

I don't really see how it's even a matter of opinion...but ok
IMAX is overkill. It's like favoring The Moutain because of his size against the Red Viper. Don't be such a Lannister Greyjoy!
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
You can pause what you are watching anytime, you can pee and not missed some scenes, and it's more comfortable at home. There's no place like home.



IMAX is overkill. It's like favoring The Moutain because of his size against the Red Viper. Don't be such a Lannister Greyjoy!
That's why you use the bathroom before you sit down...

That analogy is terrible.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I saw John Wick yesterday. Not what I expected from a low-budget movie, it's pretty good and the action is somewhat realistic. I'm hoping Keanu would get big roles soon though.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
wtf are your homes like? Do you have expensive home theaters? :lmao

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------



I don't really see how it's even a matter of opinion...but ok
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Watching movies on a bus ride home seems to be a special experience for me. :XD Watched Casino and loved the beginning more than I loved the end, it was one BIG exposition, but it was likable as the characters were very well done and the whole mafia "system", how a casino runs and how small time mobsters and henchmen for the big bosses "regulate" their relationship, tho the movie was always making it about the money, it was far more than that, in the end they suffered more because of a woman a it was made more about "honor". Memorable scenes were present of course, almost every scene where Pesci was present. :XD

Overall it brought out some individual talent from the leading cast, but as a whole it was not that impressive. The setting and character were however not as much of a story, Don Rickles was hilarious, the part when Pesci beat him up, lol. :rofl
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
As for when it comes down to ticket prizes being high, it is that too here in Finland. I find it bit amusing, that you guys are arguing on wheter 3D IMAX is worth 15 dollars ( about 12 euros), while in here a regular 2D after 5PM is atleast 12 euros. 3D on a weekend can be 18 euros (22,5dollars), and that isn't even IMAX.

There is also an explanation to this. The film theater distribution is practically a monopoly in Scandinavia. All the major cinema companies are now owned by the same distribution corporation. This has lead to them offering ridiculous deal to the film studio representatives; either you take the scraps they offer or the film isn't showed at all in 4 countries. For example in Finland the situation peaked huge way last spring. Just a week before the premiere Spiderman 2 was pulled out of the roster. This due the cinema company offering a ridiculous deal for Sony Pictures (It was something like the cinemas taking like 95% of the profits and not paying at all for the viewing rights). Gladly that got the public attention. Also smaller individual theaters quickly rose to make a fair deal with Sony. So they had no choice but to back down with their demands, and eventually Spiderman got distributed here. That's not a Finnish issue; in Norway Captain America: The Winter Soldier was never released due to similar problems. Some people just never get enough.

But actual topic. Interstellar is so hugely hyped, that it must be checked out, though I'm not that psyched about Nolan anymore. I'm actually more interested of John Wick.

But my biggest wait is for Big Hero 6. I think it is the first time Disney actually did something new with the properties they got from buying Marvel (the MCU was already on motion). Some of the newer TV superhero animated series might be Disney produced, but they seem so low budget that I don't really care. But here they outright took something they have the rights for now, and turned it into something new for the big screen. It seems very different to how the original comic is described, but not in the bad way from my opinion. It looks pretty cool.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Soooooo I saw Interstellar today after class. Let me start off by saying there were MANY things wrong with this film. Many, many, many. Too many to count. A few of the big ones:

->At times(most times), the science was UTTER bullshit. Science fiction, or science fantasy? It was on the borderline between the two. Not quite as ludicrous as Thor Into the Dark World (the science was COMPLETELY made up in that movie), but still not convincing at all scientifically.

->Plot holes plot holes. Too many to list here. I don't have the patience. Almost so many that I couldn't sit back and enjoy the movie.

->It flat out didn't make sense, really. And there were a couple of moments where I was like 'oh god, ANOTHER plot twist?'




HAVING SAID THAT, I can honestly say that I enjoyed Interstellar as a movie experience. Here are the things I liked about it:

->Absolutely stunning beauty. The outer space visuals were tear-inducing with how gorgeous they looked. This is the reason that you must see this movie in theaters to get the full impact.

->The music was well done. Added to the atmosphere very well. And complete silence was implemented at just the right moments to hit you with an impact.

->The KEY relationship in the movie, meaning the one that the entire plot line revolved around was PLATONIC. I absolutely love this in storytelling. Do you ever get sick of romance being constantly shoved down your throat to a point where you're just fucking tired of it? Well, I do. THANK YOU, Interstellar, thank you for the platonic love triumphing over everything else.

->The main female and the main male protagonists did were NOT in love. There was no fucking annoying underlying (or overwhelming) sexual tension being shoved in your face the entire time. They saw each other as comrades, friends, equals. REFRESHING.

->I liked the ideals of the movie, and thought the premise was unique and interesting.

->So many things go wrong and not according to plan. There were so many moments that included IF ONLY THEY HAD DONE THIS INSTEAD. It gives a certain sense of realism, despite the entire idea of the plot being rather unrealistic.


I think rotten tomatoes gave this movie something along the lines of a 70%? I have to say I agree with that. I recommend you see this movie if you're looking for something visually stunning, suspenseful, and unique.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Next on my list are Big Hero 6 and The Theory of Everything.

But I can't find a theater nearby that's showing the Theory of Everything! Anyone else having this problem??
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Next on my list are Big Hero 6 and The Theory of Everything.

But I can't find a theater nearby that's showing the Theory of Everything! Anyone else having this problem??
I totally agree with your review on Interstellar. I saw it today, and it was fun and eye popping. The whole wormhole to another galaxy was not handled well, but was visually appealing. Not to mention they had somewhat habitable planets in orbit around a black hole.... yeah right.

Big Hero 6 is on my list for tomorrow... but Theory of Everything seems to have a very limited release... at least so far. It's not in my city, but I saw one theater in Toronto with it. That's 4 hours drive away so I'll wait till its here.
 
Last edited:

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens



---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Next on my list are Big Hero 6 and The Theory of Everything.

But I can't find a theater nearby that's showing the Theory of Everything! Anyone else having this problem??
No movie theater here is showing The Theory of Everything as of now.
 
Last edited:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
More than a movie, Interstellar is an experience. I never watched any other film making me realize the immensity of the universe or the simple power of social interraction. I left the theatre with my head lighter, feeling more awaken, realizing my luck of simply having friends and daily social interractions. The mental ordeal faced by the characters is immense. There are powerful scenes. There are stunning visuals. There is a story with captivating characters. This movie is not for everyone: it is slow and long, filled with science fantasy. But for me, movie of the year. It spoke to me, as simple as that. A trully unique experience
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
More than a movie, Interstellar is an experience. I never watched any other film making me realize the immensity of the universe or the simple power of social interraction. I left the theatre with my head lighter, feeling more awaken, realizing my luck of simply having friends and daily social interractions. The mental ordeal faced by the characters is immense. There are powerful scenes. There are stunning visuals. There is a story with captivating characters. This movie is not for everyone: it is slow and long, filled with science fantasy. But for me, movie of the year. It spoke to me, as simple as that. A trully unique experience
Same here. I watched it with several friends, including a female who isn't exactly as "nerdy" as the rest of us. Throughout the movie I wondered if she liked it, but when I saw her crying (she cried 4 times) I knew it was a hit xD

I think many are being to hypercritical. This is a spectacular movie that uses scientific aspects we have yet to truly understand and conquer as a plot device to tell a story of emotions, and obviously uses heavy science fantasy. Earth's problems is another plot device for telling the emotional story of bonds, and is not the main theme of the movie. To me it was a vastly complex movie in terms of themes, and the cinematic storytelling was spectacular in every way: dialogue, visuals, sfx/music. The movie really affects you when you watch it, and as such it's somewhat of a transcending experience in terms of regular movie watching. Most movies seem brainless and uncreative in comparison. Whatever good s*** Nolan smokes when he makes these movies, I want some of it!!

I think it's rather silly to let the movie get heavily downgraded or even ruined for people, because it is "unrealistic" etc. I agree it got especially crazy in the last 15 minutes, but that won't make me ignore the cinematic value and storytelling quality of the movie.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell



---------- Post added November 16, 2014 at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was November 10, 2014 at 07:22 PM ----------

Interstellar :thumbs
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Screenplay by: Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, Matt Damon, Michael Caine
Watch it if you like: Gravity, The Tree of Life

Matthew McConaughey's character's name is Cooper. I'm excited and hoping to see how it will be referenced by Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. :teehee Gravity was referenced in The Big Bang Theory anyway.

Nolan's vision as a director is remarkable!

I didn't expect the movie to be that dark. And I love dark stories, especially dark comedies.

I got teary eyes when Cooper began watching the messages from 23 years. :'(

I think some people downgrade it because of the unrealistic science and Deus ex machina. Well it's a science fantasy! Deus ex machina sucks, but I think Nolan didn't use it as bad as other film makers/writers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw Interstellar, I think on my list of best movies on the year itd probably be down near Godzilla or so. The middle of the movie was atrocious and Brand ruined many moments
why would she be going after recorder data after seeing the wreakage and wave, it didnt make sense and therefore spiraled them into a terribly sad path and middle portion. Things were looking up but then the guy on the ice world made it go back to some pretty dumb and averggy writing. Thankfully the suspense was high once we got to dock and go on from there

Loved the science fiction and such with space exploration and visiting worlds, we need more of these types of series. It blows Guardians of the Galaxy out of the water for sci fi this year.

TARS x CASE were my favorites.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro :thumbs
Directed by: Hayao Miyazaki
Screenplay by: Haruya Yamazaki, Hayao Miyazaki Based on Lupin III by Monkey Punch and The Countess of Cagliostro by Maurice Leblanc
Starring: Yasuo Yamada, Eiko Masuyama, Kiyoshi Kobayashi, Makio Inoue, Goro Naya, Sumi Shimamoto, Tarō Ishida (Japanese) Bob Bergen, Joan-Carol O'Connell, Barbara Goodson, Michael McConnohie, Steve Bulen, David Povall, Edie Mirman, Steve Kramer, Jeff Winkless, Kirk Thornton, Mike Reynolds, Kirk Thornton, Juliana Donald (English, Streamline Pictures) David Hayter, Ruby Marlowe, Kirk Thornton, Ivan Buckley, Kevin Seymour, Dorothy Elians-Fahn, Richard Epcar, Milton James, Joe Romersa, Barry Stigler, Michael Forest, Dyanne DiRosario (English, Animaze/Manga Entertainment)
Watch it if you like: Ocean's Eleven, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire :thumbs
Directed by: Francis Lawrence
Screenplay by: Simon Beaufoy, Michael deBruyn (Based on Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins)
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland
Watch it if you like: Battle Royale, The Hunger Games

Burn After Reading :thumbs
Directed by: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Screenplay by: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Starring: George Clooney, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins, Brad Pitt
Watch it if you like: The Big Lebowski, Jackie Brown
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Interstellar was fantastic. Just a moving experience that appealed to all of the senses. There were some parts of it that were more goofy than mindfuck, but it didn't detract enough for me to be upset about it. There were plenty of things that were unrealistic, even parts that weren't scientific...but I guess that's what they refer to as "movie magic". The movie didn't need to be any longer. :lmao
 
Top