Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 100 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Trying to see Super Mario this weekend...since Knights of the Zodiac is ultra limited release here, what I originally wanted to see.

I wanna see Mario before it leaves theaters

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, I am caught up with MCU stuff.

Antman 3 was boring. I think it technically wasn't worst than antman 2 but damn, it's amazing how far off from antman 1 this is quality wise. I feel like this ruined the whole multiverse thing they were going for.

GotG3 was a good movie, had fun with it. At times the cgi felt somewhat subpar but otherwise I have no real complains about the ending of the GotG saga.

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Across the spider verse is possibly the best marvel animation/movie I've watched to date.

Go watch nyow!!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Better than the first one?

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
How about we make an annual MH movie awards event?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I watched across the spiderverse last weekend. It's a good movie, definitely worth the watch. Visually it's spectacular. That said, I don't think it's better than the original. The plot is a bit less focused than the original and gets to it in a rather awkward manner IMO. It's also some 20 minutes too long. Also didn't know this was just part 1 of this story. The plot twist near the end was pretty neat though.

FetherMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Flash - ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I guess this is part of the Snyderverse that was established back in 2013 with “Man of Steel”.

That being said, the film illustrates the main character’s struggles with his past and the temptation to use his powers to fix that past, but this selfish act comes with heavy consequences that lead to ending all versions of reality.

The film is entertaining, visually outstanding and this take on The Flash / Barry Allen was done well by Ezra Miller. I still think, Grant Gustin is the best. Anyhow, a dab of nostalgia and alternative take on events leads to a future for DC and its slate of characters.

Looking forward to DC’s next installment “Blue Beetle” in August. 🤓👍🏾

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, I watched he flashpoint movie.

Overall I'd say it's a decent enough movie. It's entertaining and it's good a few cool moments. Michael keaton was fun as batman here. The movie aims to be somewhat ambitious with the visuals but it is ultimately held back in some key moments by subpar CGI. Maybe I am misremembering but I am pretty sure previous snyderverse movies had better cgi and those have quite a few years on them by now. The movie would have ultimately work better if previous dc instalments were better received.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
How about we make an annual MH movie awards event?
What would that look like?
Would be cool but I wonder if there's enough people for it :feelsbadman

Gonna be honest and say exactly what someone else said in the replies: I understand French and I have 0 clue what they're talking about or how they're getting to that conclusion, the words used in no way can be taken in the way the post is implying, unless my French slang is extremely out of date (which it could, but I sincerely do not see it).

~

Also, hello everyone :)
Seems like I haven't reported here yet during the year when it comes to the stuff I've seen.
I'm up to 77 films watched so far, guess I'll take this opportunity to talk a little about some of them.

Undeniable favorites/best of 2023 so far:
- Godland: breathtaking cinematography, quite possibly the best looking film I've seen all year thus far. Worth seeing it in theaters if you can (I believe it is coming soon to streaming platforms/on demand).

- Pacifiction: another one where I absolutely fell in love with the film's vibe, visually, musically, just the whole aesthetic.

- Fast & Feel Love: unsurprisingly, the newest by Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit (which I've talked about numerous times) easily and predictably turned out to be another favorite, in spite of it not being necessarily his best work.
:cookiehand
Other films I enjoyed/highly recommend:
- Skinamarink: I was in the camp that enjoyed it (though didn't love it), but I could be biased since I love analog horror and stuff like that. If you really want to give this one a shot, please try watching it by yourself, at night, with max volume.

- Inland Empire: took me so long to finally watch this one, and enjoy it for what it is and how it unfolds like a pure nightmare.

- The Tree of Life: very bittersweet, visually arresting in a way that only Mallick can pull off.

- BARDO, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths: heard it received very polarizing reviews, but I actually enjoyed it as well. Worth a try.

- The Beasts: good film, good performances, but it left me incredibly upset (but in a "good" way, I guess, just can't talk about it).

- Soft & Quiet: I can't begin to tell you how stiff my face was by the of the film, due to how much I was cringing for most of its duration. It is relentless and stomach-churning, not for the faint of heart, but I admire how the film was shot, the effort put into it, etc., especially for a first feature length project by the director. But beware, the content is ROUGH.

- Incendies: quit possibly one of Villeneuve's best. The intro to the film alone, holy shit, I was all in right away, absolutely captured me.

- Klondike: another great but rough film, with a, unfortunately, timely and relevant thematic.

- All About Lily Chou-Chou: a very special kind of film, made me think lots about Evangelion.

- Samsara (dir. Lois Patiño): this is a film I can't fathom seeing anywhere else except in the movie theater. One of a kind experience.

- Safe Place: really well made, and when you take into consideration the real life events that lead to the making of the film, + the director's personal involvement, it really stands apart from similar films.

- Beau is Afraid: also definitely in the camp that enjoyed it, even though I have some criticisms.

- Night on the Galactic Railroad: had never heard about this anime film before, it has a really special and incredible look to it. As for the film's messages and content, they might beat you over the head with it a little too much, but it's worth looking into, you could very well consider it a true gem.
:cookiehand
Films I absolutely hated, loathed, considered to be an absolute waste of time and suggest others to avoid at all costs:
- Project Wolf Hunting
- Revenge: A Love Story

And I guess that's all for now :)

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Seen the movie once (it's 3 hours!)

I don't think Oppenheimer is better than Interstellar, The Dark Knight, Inception, Memento, The Prestige or Dunkirk.

I might even prefer Batman Begins over it.

7th/8th out of his 12 feature films. Mid-Tier Nolan film.

Still a great film. But not among Nolan's best imo.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Great way to describe the movie but Tar is fictional but y'all get the point.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Great way to describe the movie but Tar is fictional but y'all get the point.
Thought TÁR was one of last years best films so this is nothing but great to me. Still dunno when I'm gonna watch it but hopefully soon, been hearing nothing but good things.

Seeing Barbie on Thursday though. :cool:

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Recommended list of halloween filmology

Films:

The Collector (2009), The Collection (2012), Underwater (2020), Jeepers Creepers 1, 2 and 3(2001, 2003, 2017), Justice League Dark Apokolips War (2020), Constantine City of Demons The Movie (2018), Sunshine (2007), Don't Breathe (2016)

Series:

Stranger Things(2016), Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities(2022)

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
The Collector is such an underrated movie!

Such a surprise seeing someone mention it, I like it. The sequel is pretty decent, a shame the third has been in a kind of development hell.
Would've been a good trilogy.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
The Collector is such an underrated movie!

Such a surprise seeing someone mention it, I like it. The sequel is pretty decent, a shame the third has been in a kind of development hell.
Would've been a good trilogy.

Definitely underrated.

I'm constantly surprised when I mention it and few have heard of it.

There was a lot of good indie horror released around the time Collector came out. Grave encounters, Autopsy, The Crypt, etc.

Sanity Check

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
2024 Announced Titles

• November 22nd - Gladiator 2
  • November 8th - Venom 3
  • September 27th - Saw sequel
  • September 13th - Transformers prequel
  • September 6th - Beetlejuice 2
  • August 30th - Kraven the Hunter
  • August 16th - Untitled Aliens Film
  • July 26th - Deadpool 3
  • May 24th - Furiosa (Mad Max spinoff)
  • April 12th - Fallout (Game adaptation)
  • February 27th - Shogun, James Clavelle Series
  • February 26th - Avatar Airbender Live Action Series
  • February 14th - Madame Web (Spiderman)
  • January 6th - Echo (MCU)

Last edited:

Xadyu

Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
2024 Announced Titles

• November 22nd - Gladiator 2
  • November 8th - Venom 3
  • September 27th - Saw sequel
  • September 13th - Transformers prequel
  • September 6th - Beetlejuice 2
  • August 30th - Kraven the Hunter
  • August 16th - Untitled Aliens Film
  • July 26th - Deadpool 3
  • May 24th - Furiosa (Mad Max spinoff)
  • April 12th - Fallout (Game adaptation)
  • February 27th - Shogun, James Clavelle Series
  • February 26th - Avatar Airbender Live Action Series
  • February 14th - Madame Web (Spiderman)
  • January 6th - Echo (MCU)
Missing about a hundred movies.