Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've only seen tiny bits and pieces of it on tv, never got around to seeing it from beginning to end though.

I'm not too intersted in it, though I know it's hailed as being a great movie, meh, maybe I will at some point watch it.

(P.S. in the U.S. Saving Private Ryan was actually barred from being shown on some tv stations many years ago now, it had created quite an angry uproar at the time, hehe. I can't remember now why it was barred... either too graphic or some P.C. censorship gone way too far. it's been too many years for me to remember why some stations had barred it from being aired)
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Saving Private Ryan wasn't about political or historical stuff. You could actually leave out the reasons for the war in the first place, or what war it was from. The important thing in the story is that there's a war going on, and these guys have to find Private Ryan and pull him out from the war to send him home.

I'm poor with timelines and world histories myself so my brain can't actually patch these things together. But the movie is about the characters anyway. No background necessary, if that's the reason you're hesitating to watch it.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I believe, there really was a Private Ryan that we went in to save/rescue, so in this sense, it's "historical".

my poltical movie dislike didn't have anything to do with Saving Private Ryan movie, sorry for not clarifying this, it was just a broad comment that I don't like political movies, from both political party sides, didn't see Michael Moore's movies nor Ayn Rand nor Greed nor etc movies.

-----------------------------

Drive movie

it starts off slow with its "slow/restrained interaction/reaction" with the main character to the other characters... the many seconds of staring at their faces and facial expressions, lol. Delayed, short, "choppy" conversations.

this quiet anti-social/introverted main character.... isn't so nice nor peaceful when you get on his bad side... hehe :D

BUT.... this movie is a guy movie, with action, and some good blood/gore... crushed body guts and stuff... so girls (or guys) that don't like this might want to not see this movie... however I heard some girls takig and they liked it... just not the gore and blood in it. so, meh. it's a good movie, but it's also bloody/gorey...

So... I liked the movie, laughs. It was pretty basic, and it's not like this is the only gorey/bloody movie, it wasn't great, but it was a decent movie.
 
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Saw The Change Up last night. I had seen the trailer previously so I knew it'd be an okay film to watch on DVD or something but I'm also sceptic watching comedies in cinemas cos I find them a waste of my money but I really liked this one. Yes the plot wasn't exactly original but the comedy and the chemistry between Ryan Reynolds and John Bateman(?) was really good and so the jokes just flew almost naturally. 7/10
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Organizized said:
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks.

HegemonKhan said:
and I've been forgetting to concur that Paul G (whatever his name) did a great job as the villain in Shoot Em Up, he was so hillarious while still being a great villain too
Exactly! xD
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks.
I was looking through my hard drive and I could've SWORN I had it :headscratch. Gotta get it again...
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I'd recommend watching swedish version with Noomi Rapace - she played Lisbeth sooooo freakin' well. Or maybe you watched already :p Recently I watched the whole trilogy - its quite good methinks
Yeah, I like the first and third film of that trilogy. Pretty much every Swedish person has seen those movies, so. :p But I'm still interested in the reinterpretation since it has an awesome cast and one of the beat directors of all time, David Fincher. I don't see how it could go wrong. And I'm curious as to how Rooney Mara is going to fare against Rapace's version of Salander.

Not to mention the new one had such an awesome teaser trailer. Just wow! Haven't gotten to see the real trailer released the other day, though.

---------- Post added September 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was September 22, 2011 at 01:51 PM ----------

What is The Guard about? Neverheard of that one :oh
An Irish black comedy from this year, and also one of this years best movies that I've seen so far. :nod

IMDB said:
Sergeant Gerry Boyle is a small-town Irish cop with a confrontational personality, a subversive sense of humor, a dying mother, a fondness for prostitutes, and absolutely no interest whatsoever in the international cocaine-smuggling ring that has brought straight-laced FBI agent Wendell Everett to his door.
The director is the brother of the guy who directed In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and also stars Brendan Gleeson (who played one of the main roles in In Bruges... and also that guy with the weird eye in the Harry Potter series). I downloaded it because it got a 5 star rating at my go-to magazine for films, Empire, but didn't have too high expectations anyway. So naturally, it was a pleasant surprise.

And yeah, Liam Cunningham is in it. Not that major a role, but he does a good job. David Wilmot (who was rumored to play Davos before Cunningham was announced, btw) is also in it, and Don Cheadle plays the FBI agent. Gleeson and Cheadle's scenes make for some of the best comedy I've seen this year, and the cast overall gives a flawless performance. This is just my kind of movie, and I love it! :tem
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Personally I agree with Organizized about The Guard movie - I love it, too! xD And if someone likes Mark Strong, he's also there :p

Organizized said:
The director is the brother of the guy who directed In Bruges (one of my favorite movies) and also stars Brendan Gleeson (who played one of the main roles in In Bruges... and also that guy with the weird eye in the Harry Potter series). I downloaded it because it got a 5 star rating at my go-to magazine for films, Empire, but didn't have too high expectations anyway. So naturally, it was a pleasant surprise.
tshhh, call it: "I borrowed it" xP <its more 'legal' to say that, don't you think? haha :p>
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Did I say downloaded? I meant I... caught an early screening of it. Yup. At a theatre in a town I was in. I was the only one there. I was so honored.

...

Great movie, is all I'm trying to say.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
xD

btw. I didn't watch In Bruges <I looked and the cast is fantastic> which you recommended, so I'm putting it on my 'must to watch' list of films. Lately it got bigger than ever : O

Aha, Scott Adkins is also in The Expandables cast - he will be the right hand of the main villain, Van Damme <3
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Killer Elite = huge disappointment! :(

I had way too high hopes/excitement, as this was far too dull/bland, especially when I was stupidly thinking it would be so awesome, sighs.

Shoot Em Up and Transporter 1+2, as well as many other action flicks too, were far better then Killer Elite.

-----------------------------------------------

I found this to be an extremely awesome Martial Arts movie, that hardly got any notice/publicity (like how Shoot Em Up didn't either), sighs:

The Protector

this is really good IMO, if you're into Martial Arts

It's cool because there's a part of it, where the camera/view is that of a "first person shooter", except it's a "first person melee combat martial arts ' er", hehe

Beware, there's "some" (hehe, a lot actually) jujitsu... tearing/destruction of joints, and of course his Tiger/Flying Knee! :D
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
While it wasn't bad, the room full of guys at the end plus the elephant bone sword were awesome, it can't stand to it up to it's predecessor Ong-bak, which was/is widely known.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Oh, I just saw FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.

Worst flick ever.

I cringed the entire time listening to Justin Timberlake's underdeveloped voice and Mila Kunis' giggles. :barf

I wanted to watch a no-brainer, but it fried my brain instead. ugh.
 

cracker

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
3,064
Reaction score
2,504
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, I just saw FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS.

Worst flick ever.

I cringed the entire time listening to Justin Timberlake's underdeveloped voice and Mila Kunis' giggles. :barf

I wanted to watch a no-brainer, but it fried my brain instead. ugh.
LOL

Watch Tuck and Dale vs Evil for a no brainer and guess what its actually good
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Okay, watched some new movies recently.

Source Code - All I knew about this movie was that it was directed by Duncan Jones, the director of Moon, which I absolutely love. This being his second movie, though, I went in with an open mind and well aware that the first one might have been a fluke. However, it turns out this movie is actually really good as well!

The story, while perhaps not 100% original (what is these days?), is well written, intriguing and feels fresh. Duncan Jones' pace of story telling is damn near perfect. While Moon was just the right amount of slow in its build-up, this one throws you right into the story and gets your attention at once but leaves you just as unknowing of what's going on as the main character. Speaking of which, Jake Gyllenhaal reminded me of why I used to like him as an actor. This is his best role and movie since Zodiac.

In short: Action-packed movie, but with a smart and well-crafted plot which had me hooked from start to finished. Simply a great movie. 8/10

--------------

Drive - This movie was nothing like I imagined it. And I can't quite tell you if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I can tell you this: I liked it.

Some people had led me to believe that this was some sort of Tarantino-esque, violent movie. Not the case. This movie isn’t very dialogue-heavy, and it takes its time getting things going. I’m not saying it’s too slow (as many others are); it sets a great atmosphere and gives the later events in the movie much more contrast.

The acting is great. Like I said, there’s not very much dialogue in this movie, but there doesn’t always have to be if the actors do a good enough job to express their emotions anyway. As for the plot, I guess it could have been pulled off a little differently for the better, but for its simplicity the movie does a real good job telling its story and contains some of the best scenes I’ve seen in a while. Like HegemonKhan mentioned above this movie does get violent, which I guess is why people said it was Tarantino-esque. But this movie does not glorify its violence as in QT’s films, and doesn’t overuse it. It simply is there because it’s the natural cause of events of the story. And it does leave an impression on you.

It takes its time to build up the atmosphere, and in the end it pays off. What a good movie should do. 8/10

---------------------

Horrible Bosses - The actors and actresses make this movie. I was sceptical to this one when first watching the trailer because it seemed like on of those ”all of the funny jokes are in the trailer”-type of movies which really turns out quite dull. However, this movie is some of the most fun I’ve seen in a comedy in a while.

The plot is pretty simple and not too original (something the makers are well aware of, referencing movies like it), but the characters are friggin’ hilarious. The dialogue, the interaction between them, it’s all some of the best comedic back-and-forth I’ve seen in a movie in a long time.

Now, I wrote the above right after seeing the movie (just my first thoughts), and I stand by it. However, now some time has passed and I must say, for all its hilarity, it doesn’t exactly leave a lasting impression. The movie is a lot of fun. All the way through, from start to finish. However, when it’s over and you think about it, it’s not a great movie. I’m not saying it’s bad at all; it’s a very funny, well acted comedy, but for the lack of a lasting impression it had on me I’ll have to give it a 7/10.

----------------

Thor - I’ll keep this short since I’m getting tired of writing now. This movie was pretty good. The beginning was cool, the build-up was fine and the comedic scenes made me laugh out loud a few times. However, it doesn’t quite have the climax it was building up to. I’m not saying there was no climax at all, I was just a bit underwhelmed by it. The guy playing Thor (forgot his name) does a great job, as does Idris Elba as the gatekeeper guy. The rest of the cast are okay, although Natalie Portman felt oddly miscast. :s

Anyway, it was still an entertaining movie all the way through. The action scenes and the climax could’ve been more overwhelming but other than that it was good. 7/10
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
I also watched Drive these days and I liked it. I liked the male character's smile. :p (I'm a girl, what can you expect. :fail) And after the ending scene, everyone was clapping. I dunno if it was because they liked it or not... :oh

The violence scenes were a bit too much for me... I used to be okay with them, but... recently injuries and such in movies seem kinda real to me.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also wanna see Drive. But not in theaters here yet. Other upcoming films I am Interested in are Moneyball, 50/50, Lion King 3D and Johnny English 2. Also curious about a norwegian film Headhunters.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
my own take about Moneyball:

a "wannabe" documentary doesn't make for a good movie, lol

the movie wasn't really worth it, I could have easily skipped seeing the movie without any regret.

Oh it was kinda cool seeing the manager Billy Bean (Brad Pitt?) going against the establishment and his relationship with the nerdy economists guy, and also his-the manager-billy bean's own sad story, but that's really about it, that which is decent about the movie.

instead, you want to see the much higher quality, and actual documentary of it that was done on/for a tv show.

---------------------------------------

jokingly only:

so girls like violent revengeful/avenging/protecting guys, just not the actual violence involved in getting that violent revenge/avengement/protection by/from the guy?

or

"Smile handsomely, and carry a big violent behavior/rage/anger, but just don't let me actually see it or its results!"

----------------------------------------

it's the same for me though as well in terms of brutality:

real violence, blood, and gore, grosses me out totally!

but if it's starkly fake, I love blood, gore, and violence, lol (go figure!)

for me, I don't think movies will ever find a way to make fake brutality, look like real brutality. You just can't fake real brutality. there's a total difference between the two. For me anyways. Fake brutality will probably always look fake to me, and as fake brutality and as fake-looking brutality, it doesn't bother me.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Hege, if you're talking about fake brutality...

my god this never fails to entertain me
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
There are enough movies with good looking brutal scenes... and enough trash movies to counter those a thousand times.^^ Did anyone see the full version Riki-Oh? So trashy and brutal, it can easily hold up with the american standard from the 80/90s.^^
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top