Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yep Skyfall was awesome! Basically everything Doraku loved about the movie, I loved too :D. I especially loved the cinematography. Skyfall is a gorgeous looking movie. And Adele's song made for a wonderful title sequence.

Also, watching the movie made me realize that I need to get my body to look like Craig's. Off to the gym! :derp
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Seen Skyfall too, the last a quarter or was it third was a bit meh, but the rest was just as it should be. Some suprises were easily guessed
the virus, the captivity, M's departure, Mallory being the next one, Moneypenny, the usage of those few gadgets at the beginning for mcguyver action
a bit to few moments for the bond girls, thought Judie Dench had earned her time.

And as mentioned before the cinematography was really great in this one. Loved to see Macau after that short moment with Chicken in Young and Dangerous.

Couldn't watch more than the first minute of WWZ, don't want to spoil me for anything else this year or the next, but that looked... eh promising?^^ At least I will try to do so.
 
Last edited:

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I too saw it today. I thought it was bloody brilliant truly enjoyable movie from start to finish.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Anyone else got the impression that skyfall stole all of its plot points from the batman trilogy?
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
It felt similar, but stealing all plotpoints? No. "Stealing" and "all" are not word I would use.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
No wonder...

‘Skyfall’ Director Says He Was Inspired By ‘The Dark Knight’ said:
Mendes’ decision to jump on board was a risky one, since he rightly points out that the reception to Bond’s last adventure was lukewarm at best. But those who felt that the first Skyfall trailer revealing the diabolical Raoul Silva (Javier Bardem) seemed more ‘Nolan-esque’ than ‘Bond-ish’ may have been right on the money.

The strength of story, drama and compelling turmoil that director Christopher Nolan brought into the Batman mythos “directly inspired” Mendes in his view of the Bond series. Not just as a sign that tired properties can still have potential, but what can be attempted when studio dollars are on the line.

As Mendes sees it, the precedent has been set for directors like himself to bring more artistic flourishes to mainstream projects. What that means for Skyfall isn’t clear, but does sound promising:

“In terms of what [Nolan] achieved, specifically ‘The Dark Knight,’ the second movie, what it achieved, which is something exceptional. It was a game changer for everybody…”

“We’re now in an industry where movies are very small or very big and there’s almost nothing in the middle [...] it would be a tragedy if all the serious movies were very small and all the popcorn movies were very big and have nothing to say. And what Nolan proved was that you can make a huge movie that is thrilling and entertaining and has a lot to say about the world we live in, even if, in the case with ‘The Dark Knight,’ it’s not even set in our world. It felt like a movie that was about our world post-9/11, and played on our fears, and discussed our fears and why they existed and I thought that was incredibly brave and interesting. That did help give me the confidence to take this movie in directions that, without ‘The Dark Knight,’ might not have been possible. Because also, people go, ‘Wow, that’s pretty dark,’ but then you can point to ‘Dark Knight’ and go ‘Look at that – that’s a darker movie, and it took in a gazillion dollars!’ That’s very helpful. There’s also that thing – it’s clearly possible to make a dark movie that people want to see.”
source: screenrant.com
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
It felt similar, but stealing all plotpoints? No. "Stealing" and "all" are not word I would use.
Ok, lets take a look at what is going on then.
First there is the obvious, the bad guy in bond is a fusion between bane and the joker. He is similar to bane in that he is a highly skilled fighter who sets up innecessarily complicated plans which would never work outside a movie.

Then again, he has more of the joker than of bane. Deformed face? Check, creepy laugh? Yes, but fails miserably in front of the joker. Gets captured and released to the sound of flashy unnecessary explosions which show the hero is somewhat bad at being a ninja/spy? Check. Gets released to the sound of explosions? Check.

Now, take a look at the following plot point: Character has to deal with his age and the result of years of fighting along with doing everything possible to not have good shape. Is that batman (who stayed indoors for 8 years or so before the movie) or bond (who spent months drinking himself to sleep after being shot)?

Which of them has an unlikely guy to give them fancy tech stuff? As far as I recall one of them had morgan freeman and the other had some annoying hipster guy that did not seem to understand what programing was or thought program code looked like randomly moving lines. Heck, the least qualified person in the room was the one who figured out that something was off with the password they needed being thrown into the program. I guess we could say neither movie got programing as the batman one had witchcraft which simultanuesly hacked into every database and backup to delete a persons information(either that, or I am backwards enough on the topic that I simply missed programing looking like randomly moving lines nowadays).

To sum it up: Bad guy in bond is the joker with a dash of bane. Bond has to deal with the same age and accumulated damage stuff. Both have gadgets people. Neither gets programing. Both have an alfred person.

A tad unrelated but the movie also copied every home alone movie ever.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

No wonder...


source: screenrant.com
There we go.... I would still argue there was too much "inspiration" though.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm pretty much done going to the movies for the rest of 2012. However, the Hobbit by Peter Jackson looks really good.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

^About the Skyfall subject, aside from the stolen plot points from the Batman trilogy and lack of originality there really isn't much else you could take away from this film that changes people's outlook on this movie from to a positive to negative perspective.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well my brother and a friend of his weren't that pleased as well and I highly doubt it's because they saw similarities to other movies. Let's not generalize peoples opinions to plot similarities.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I'm pretty much done going to the movies for the rest of 2012. However, the Hobbit by Peter Jackson looks really good.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

^About the Skyfall subject, aside from the stolen plot points from the Batman trilogy and lack of originality there really isn't much else you could take away from this film that changes people's outlook on this movie from to a positive to negative perspective.
How about the movie stealing plot devices from 20 year old macaulay culkin movies (home alone)?:p

Anyways, I don't actually think the movie was bad, if anything I did enjoy it. I just couldn't help but notice the overwhelming amount of "inspiration" from the dark knight.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Twilight kicked Skyfall off the top spot on the Box Office this past weekend...141 million dollars huh. I hate Twilight with a burning passion :nerve

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Bruce Willis has been busy this year! Looper and another Die Hard movie coming out soon I'm so excited.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I prefer to *not hate* twilight. I mean, I haven't watched any of it so i don't really care- no time of mine was lost, and no brain cells were fried.

MOre like, Meh. It just exists. Like Justin Bieber.

unless... I go for a twilight marathon one of these days- when I'm high on [bleep].
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I prefer to *not hate* twilight. I mean, I haven't watched any of it so i don't really care- no time of mine was lost, and no brain cells were fried.
Had to watch it with my cousins daughters and yeah BS is the best you could decribe it. Doubt any of the books are any better from reading some thorough reviews. And now I even see men read 50 shades of ... like only for the hype. There were always good erotic and SM novels just saying.

This will be the last movie won't it? Let's wait and let it rest until the next idocy comes around.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I've already seen a teaser poser for the next Stephenie Meyer.

Seen some of his interviews before, he really did take a turn from the second movie on. haha
 

Saint Markus

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
195
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haven't seen "Skyfall" yet, but I was told it's the best bond film in the last 10 years. Personally for me, the last bond film I went to the theaters to see was "Goldeneye" and for me, that was a classic. May have to see "Skyfall" to see if it lives up to the hype.

I liked the "Dark Knight", but it's overhyped and just made a lot of money. I get the business of it all.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haven't seen "Skyfall" yet, but I was told it's the best bond film in the last 10 years. Personally for me, the last bond film I went to the theaters to see was "Goldeneye" and for me, that was a classic. May have to see "Skyfall" to see if it lives up to the hype.

I liked the "Dark Knight", but it's overhyped and just made a lot of money. I get the business of it all.
You sound like you have a lot of issues with the movie :hmph do tell.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Better than putting your cinema money into something like Twilight. :P Every movie is made to make money, so no problem with promoting something great, when you get the chance to broaden the viewer base.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Combines all the TV spots and trailers into a single package! Awesome :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top