Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Is that spoiler? I mean, people know MJ is spiderman's girlfriend and whatnot overall. Most of the people I know hadn't even heard of gwen before this movie came out.... Its pretty obvious that the relationship between gwen and spiderman is doomed at best. I guess in the movie they might go without killing gwen though, its a bit dark for a kids spiderman movie.


They didn't say there was a civil war though. More so, the explosion would have theoretically ended both sides of the war at large, why would they continue fighting? More so, all the people in all of the outposts were destroyed, its not like there was a side left. Overall it seems like an improbable scenario for a civil war to go on.
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
It is a spoiler. The same thing with Harvey dent in TDK , I did not know he was two face so the twist was excellent for me because
I did not know nor was a batman fan.
You should probably spoiler it up.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It is a spoiler. The same thing with Harley Quin in TDK , I did not know he was two face so the twist was excellent for me because
I did not know nor was a batman fan.
You should probably spoiler it up.
Harley Quinn wasn't in TDK, only The Joker.

edit: Ah, I guess you meant Harvey Dent, nvm
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
I watched Man of Steel yesterday night.

I was a bit disappointed, however it was not "bad" overall. This is indeed not the movie that a lot of people might expect based on the trailer, it is not as intimate as it seemed to be. The transformation from Clark Kent to Superman was rushed in my opinion, especially with Zod's arrival. There is a reccurent problem of pace. Some impactful scenes (in the sense that it was supposed to move you) failed to convey the right emotion, for example Kal-El's parents struggling to be separated from their son. The soundtracks were awesome in the trailers but seemed misplaced in a few scenes in the movie.
The new context of Krypton was rather good, the General Zod is totally different from the canon comics or the previous movie, he is actually better, he is no longer a one dimensional vilain. Jor-El has a way bigger impact in the story than before, which was not so bad. I'm a bit disappointed by Kevin Costner's role as a father, besides they changed this character in a strange way.
He was supposed to be a block of morality, now he says "maybe" when Clark asked if he should have let the children die to hide his powers. :huh

This Superman is not dark, he is simply more serious (as it was supposed to be), people who were expecting to see a remake of the first Superman's movies simply don't know their topic or they were stuck to a past Superman interpretation.

Unlike some people here, the fight scenes are not a problem...at all IMO. It is Superman, dudes ! When a Superman fights another Kryptonian you can expect a shitload of destruction, a DBZ fight. It's nice to FINALLY see this kind of fight from him in a movie. However I understand that, for a movie which was supposed to introduce Superman as a character, people might find there is simply too much action, non stop action.

The fact that we didn't get to see Clark Kent as a reporter etc is not really a problem in itself since the movie was about his mutation into Superman after all. However, how his secret identity has been managed through the movie makes the end of the movie not really believable. There is another issue, it's the continuity of the licence after such movie. The lack of Forteress with all the knowledge of Kripton made a big blow to that. DC is planning to make a 2nd movie and a Justice League movie, it just doesn't fit with the current movie. You can see that Man Of Steel originally has not been created with crossover in mind.

The plot itself has it share of holes. There are many things which has been poorly explained or not at all.
Even the whole terraformation project of the Kryptonians on Earth makes no sense. Or their decision to leave their colonies in the past is not very understandable. etc
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I watched Man of Steel yesterday night.

I was a bit disappointed, however it was not "bad" overall. This is indeed not the movie that a lot of people might expect based on the trailer, it is not as intimate as it seemed to be. The transformation from Clark Kent to Superman was rushed in my opinion, especially with Zod's arrival. There is a reccurent problem of pace. Some impactful scenes (in the sense that it was supposed to move you) failed to convey the right emotion, for example Kal-El's parents struggling to be separated from their son. The soundtracks were awesome in the trailers but seemed misplaced in a few scenes in the movie.
The new context of Krypton was rather good, the General Zod is totally different from the canon comics or the previous movie, he is actually better, he is no longer a one dimensional vilain. Jor-El has a way bigger impact in the story than before, which was not so bad. I'm a bit disappointed by Kevin Costner's role as a father, besides they changed this character in a strange way.
He was supposed to be a block of morality, now he says "maybe" when Clark asked if he should have let the children die to hide his powers. :huh

This Superman is not dark, he is simply more serious (as it was supposed to be), people who were expecting to see a remake of the first Superman's movies simply don't know their topic or they were stuck to a past Superman interpretation.

Unlike some people here, the fight scenes are not a problem...at all IMO. It is Superman, dudes ! When a Superman fights another Kryptonian you can expect a shitload of destruction, a DBZ fight. It's nice to FINALLY see this kind of fight from him in a movie. However I understand that, for a movie which was supposed to introduce Superman as a character, people might find there is simply too much action, non stop action.

The fact that we didn't get to see Clark Kent as a reporter etc is not really a problem in itself since the movie was about his mutation into Superman after all. However, how his secret identity has been managed through the movie makes the end of the movie not really believable. There is another issue, it's the continuity of the licence after such movie. The lack of Forteress with all the knowledge of Kripton made a big blow to that. DC is planning to make a 2nd movie and a Justice League movie, it just doesn't fit with the current movie. You can see that Man Of Steel originally has not been created with crossover in mind.

The plot itself has it share of holes. There are many things which has been poorly explained or not at all.
Even the whole terraformation project of the Kryptonians on Earth makes no sense. Or their decision to leave their colonies in the past is not very understandable. etc
FINALLY! Someone who shares my feelings on this movie! you got the word right- Intimate. That's what I was expecting from the trailers they released. Instead they bombarded me with a crapload of action scenes. >.<
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,290
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
2 more avenger movies? I thought they were only doing one.... Well, I guess an avenger's trilogy makes the most sense considering everything.... Then again, how many story arcs could they do without bringing in the xmen? I guess they are already bringing in mutants without calling them mutants though...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
2 more avenger movies? I thought they were only doing one.... Well, I guess an avenger's trilogy makes the most sense considering everything.... Then again, how many story arcs could they do without bringing in the xmen? I guess they are already bringing in mutants without calling them mutants though...
It's not anything new. From what I remember, Jackson was signed for something like 9 films...lol
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It seems like you can't do "hero" movies without a trilogy anymore. One to introduce the characters, one with a threat that wasn't the secret boss of the first one, the last one to do much wrong or good. :P

I want to see MOS, but the mediocre reviews led to a "wait for the BD" decision. :( Hmpf, maybe I will go alone. :P
 
Last edited:

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
FINALLY! Someone who shares my feelings on this movie! you got the word right- Intimate. That's what I was expecting from the trailers they released. Instead they bombarded me with a crapload of action scenes. >.<
To be fair, there are more symbolisms than you might think, with Kal-El as the Hope of his race with the codex of all its knowledge inside him, the Messiah relationship, the questioned religions with his appearance (what Jonathan Kent feared, and how some people reacted to the boy Clarck after he saved the bus), his choice as a representative etc Several themes has been touched in the movie. But yeah, only touched.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I would think it's better to have none of those, than to merely "touch" and try to get a lot of things going but in the end falls short. It would just annoy me. -_-


Anyway- I hear awesome reviews for World War Z. haven't heard from any of you...
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Aaaaaargh. Seriously, the trailers had so much buildup about emotional connections, or internal sufferings, or identity crises and humanity. But then the movie was like, where did that direction go??? Christopher Nolan? Really? All the skill in character development on the DK trilogy- did that spring from nowhere???
My guess is that it's harder to be in depth in Superman than it is for Batman. With Batman you have more complex characters and a lot of grey area, whereas with Superman it's just Superman beating up bad guys. Of course, I haven't read either comics so I have no idea what it's all about. D:

At another note, I watched the newest Die Hard movie recently. Worst movie I've seen in a long, long time. Way to kill the series. Everything was terrible in the movie, including Bruce Willis' acting which was beyond awful. John turned into a side-kick for his son. It was A Good Day to Die Hard for the series indeed. May we not see another.
I kept passing out at random intervals, but yeah, the film wasn't that good to be honest. It's sad because Live Free or Die Hard was a brilliant film in the series. I'm guessing they're thinking about making John's son take up his dad's shoes, I guess?
No idea how to feel about this... I'm assuming it'll probably get worse in quality. I thought Iron Man 2 was worse than Iron Man.


Now You See Me and Premium Rush were good movies. I also liked Total Recall, but Kate Beckinsale kicking asses is always a plus for any movie. Wanted to watch Man of Steel but the shows were sold out. -_-
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
The separate films might get worse but i think avengers well get better and better.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Movie News

The minions from Despicable Me get their own movie, which is slated for Dec 2014 release. About damn time they did too! :blai.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - pushed back to next summer (August 22, 2014). Though I think that will change too. This is one movie that just doesn't want to get released, does it?

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has finished shooting and is going into post-production now. The director posted a video to celebrate the end of shooting:

[video=vimeo;69085649]http://vimeo.com/69085649[/video]

Read the rest of the article on Screenrant.

Also if you weren't already aware, there will be 2 more installments for "The Amazing Spider-Man" series.

Trailers:






A few notes from the by Screen Rant:

  • Ron’s dating again, which is fodder for a bunch of racial insensitivity jokes.
  • James Marsden seems to be playing Ron’s younger, more handsome anchor rival.
  • Christina Applegate makes a brief appearance as Veronica Corningstone, the mother of Ron’s son (is a custody battle in the cards?).
  • Kristen Wiig plays Brick’s new love interest. She’s basically Brick but in girl form.
  • And most importantly: Baxter the dog is back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hmm.. I'm actually curious about Ashton if he could depict a drama. I mean, sure, acting out Steve Jobs in his early life was probably easy for Ashton because that's about every role he's ever acted (i.e. douche). But I think later in the movie as the character matures- that's where I'm wondering if he can pull it off. I'd never seen him in any mature roles ever.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I want to watch wolf of wall street.

It also hurts seeing Academy Award nominee...Give Leo and oscar already!
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
What spin are you talking about? and the action was done just right in my opinion I refuse to believe superman can fight other kryptonians without such destruction.
Instead of having a substance called Krytonite that Superman crumbles upon meeting, they made the entire Krypton planet/atmosphere itself a sort of weakness for him. It was a bit of a "spin" on Kryptonite. I thought it was interesting. Did you not catch that? :p

Destruction is fine and it happened a lot which makes sense. I'm saying that it got old after about 30 minutes of it. I was like "is this movie not over yet? Oh no, they had to add 17 more explosions." The effects were amazing and the combat was pretty cool, but it got really tiring after a while. Just my opinion. Some people could watch that sort of thing for hours and not get annoyed or bored. Just not me.

I think they could have cut out some of the mass destruction (we got the point) and added more "intimacy" like the trailer promised.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Instead of having a substance called Krytonite that Superman crumbles upon meeting, they made the entire Krypton planet/atmosphere itself a sort of weakness for him. It was a bit of a "spin" on Kryptonite. I thought it was interesting. Did you not catch that? :p

Destruction is fine and it happened a lot which makes sense. I'm saying that it got old after about 30 minutes of it. I was like "is this movie not over yet? Oh no, they had to add 17 more explosions." The effects were amazing and the combat was pretty cool, but it got really tiring after a while. Just my opinion. Some people could watch that sort of thing for hours and not get annoyed or bored. Just not me.

I think they could have cut out some of the mass destruction (we got the point) and added more "intimacy" like the trailer promised.
:hmm That's one way of looking at it I just assumed Kryptonite was being saved for the sequel.

To be fair he kept saying it wasn't as intimate as it seemed.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I want to watch wolf of wall street.

It also hurts seeing Academy Award nominee...Give Leo and oscar already!
Unluckiest actor of his generation. He should have at least 2 Oscars by now...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top