Discussion - The Official Relationship/Pairing/Shipping Thread | Page 171 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Official Relationship/Pairing/Shipping Thread

Why do you like your OTP?

• Total voters

gk3389127

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
The problem is I've read that Mashima himself declared in an interview or somewhere that, in spite of realising all of the things you've mentioned, including his own original preference for NaLu, he'd resolved, by the end of the main story, that he'd be painting NaLu as "more than friends and less than lovers"(don't mind me if it was rehashed earlier in this thread).
I'm not yet entirely sure he's changing this decision, even if I've heard that Ueda himself prefers NaLu?! What we just got was another of those typical weird close physical contact moments they've been getting for ages now(at least the post-cauldron moment in HERO'S- or whatsitcalled- was more symbolically intimate-the kind I'd never see casually happening between straight platonic life-partners- than any silly ecchi scene as of late).
And I'm still bugged by the way their more serious moment in ch 22/23 is somewhat cast into contradiction with the fear and pain she must've felt in FT when literally having his Fire Curse in her veins, making me wonder if I can take the recent "soothing" event that seriously, with all the emotional weight it's supposed to carry.
We're getting more clues towards Natsu not being ignorant at all of attraction or rather how attractive the girls around him are, he seems to favour Lucy in each and all aspects(in spite of that confusing harem scene at Selene's temple), but all the scenes where he's supposedly acting out of presumed (romantic) jealousy are either defused in a silly way or off-page.
Yes, I agree, Ignia or Selene herself might trigger something more serious if Mashima decides to take the ship anywhere concrete, but Idk if he really means to(I know what he did with RM, Idk what he aims with EZ, since I've only watched the anime S1, but it's still hit or miss with the FT MCs). Back in FT DiMaria NOS-ed all of his changes and partial END awakening when she tried to kill Lucy, Lucy is now his de-buffer from a similar to END rampage mode, and he seems far too entitled to decide that other guys can't get physically close to her, but with off-paging some guys getting beaten up for apparently trying to hit on her, all these and some of their old married couple shenanigans feel a lot like the Mashima/Ueda duo are just giving nods to the plethora of fanfic NaLu tropes.😞
I'm not sure if he's changing his tune on that "more than friends/less than lovers" thing either; it's really anybody's guess. It can probably be safely assumed that Lucy is meant to have feelings for Natsu (between dialogue and artwork in 100YQ) at this point, so it really depends on what Mashima and/or Ueda seem up to do. I don't know how much story is left, probably at least three more big arcs (one for Ignia, another for Viernes, and a finale), so there is still time.

It bears wondering how much of that lies with Mashima (who is really just doing the storyboards) and how much lies with Ueda (who does seem to like them by all accounts). To be perfectly honest, after teasing them to hell and back, and bringing literally all the other pairings as far as he did, it would be something of a slap in the face to his readers to leave the most popular one unresolved. I don't mean to sound entitled when I say that, but it can't be denied he's dangled it front of the fan's face for a long time, especially with his Twitter.

Undina

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I'm not sure if he's changing his tune on that "more than friends/less than lovers" thing either; it's really anybody's guess. It can probably be safely assumed that Lucy is meant to have feelings for Natsu (between dialogue and artwork in 100YQ) at this point, so it really depends on what Mashima and/or Ueda seem up to do. I don't know how much story is left, probably at least three more big arcs (one for Ignia, another for Viernes, and a finale), so there is still time.

It bears wondering how much of that lies with Mashima (who is really just doing the storyboards) and how much lies with Ueda (who does seem to like them by all accounts). To be perfectly honest, after teasing them to hell and back, and bringing literally all the other pairings as far as he did, it would be something of a slap in the face to his readers to leave the most popular one unresolved. I don't mean to sound entitled when I say that, but it can't be denied he's dangled it front of the fan's face for a long time, especially with his Twitter.
I very much agree with you. I'm not the kind of person to randomly ship people on account of one single scene put together for some different reason(for example, if you know the characters, Tanjiro and Aoi from Kimetsu no Yaiba), so I wouldn't have ended up shipping these two if they hadn't been teased exceedingly as definitely something other than platonic life-partners or siblings or just good friends. But I still fear that his declaring that particular thing about NaLu around the FT finale was his acknowledging and embracing his Trollshima moniker given by the fandom, together with giving us a warning to not expect more on the NaLu development subject. By that point he'd also brought the other ships to completion or made them more of an undercover canon matter(Lucy's musings on Erza dolling herself up whenever Jellal was in town or close by, GaLe were already confirmed by the pre-Tartarus scene then the emotional fake death culminating with Wendy overhearing the news of the pregnancy, Gruvia was pushed out in the open by Juvia's own fake death at Invel's hands and so on).
And I did notice how the other ships/couples leveled up some more during the 100 YQ, but Mashima/Ueda's almost instantly mocking or taking back whatever positive development NaLu may have teased doesn't give me any more hope for them.

Is Mashima seriously ship teasing Rebecca and Shiki?

gk3389127

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I very much agree with you. I'm not the kind of person to randomly ship people on account of one single scene put together for some different reason(for example, if you know the characters, Tanjiro and Aoi from Kimetsu no Yaiba), so I wouldn't have ended up shipping these two if they hadn't been teased exceedingly as definitely something other than platonic life-partners or siblings or just good friends. But I still fear that his declaring that particular thing about NaLu around the FT finale was his acknowledging and embracing his Trollshima moniker given by the fandom, together with giving us a warning to not expect more on the NaLu development subject. By that point he'd also brought the other ships to completion or made them more of an undercover canon matter(Lucy's musings on Erza dolling herself up whenever Jellal was in town or close by, GaLe were already confirmed by the pre-Tartarus scene then the emotional fake death culminating with Wendy overhearing the news of the pregnancy, Gruvia was pushed out in the open by Juvia's own fake death at Invel's hands and so on).
And I did notice how the other ships/couples leveled up some more during the 100 YQ, but Mashima/Ueda's almost instantly mocking or taking back whatever positive development NaLu may have teased doesn't give me any more hope for them.

Is Mashima seriously ship teasing Rebecca and Shiki?
Fair enough. Of course, he made that comment some time ago, and a lot has happened in the mean time, so it stands to reason he may have changed his mind. To be frank, though, to NOT do NaLu at this point wouldn't so much be trolling, so much at it'd be giving an otherwise loyal fanbase the middle finger.

At any rate, I'm not going to give up on the possibility until the series is over, and there's probably a good deal of manga left before that's going to happen.

Raven

Registored User
Reaction score
Country
Joker
My fellow Nalu fans are suffering :sad

Many times i lost hope like you guys but i never stopped believing because when that happen i look at my fellow Nalu fans and i only find trust and endless passion, You guys revive my hopes and comfort my doubts, We can get through this together, Because i know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

There is two keys elements that cements Nalu for me.

Natsu already told Lucy, They will be together forever, Many people confirmed to me that this very line is common between Japanese couple.

Edoles Lucy was talking to Lucy about her relation with Natsu and she was like. Don't worry, You will get to this point like me.

Also Natsu liked Nasha and wanted to kidnaped her from her Edolas parents, So that can easily be used to give Natsu an opening to develop his relation with Lucy ofc after he learn how to make babies, He still thinks humans lay eggs, It may happen like this, Natsu asks Lucy to lay an egg to give birth to Nasha.

I'm 90% sure that Nalu will happen at some point but i'm not sure how, Simply because both lack development in that aspect, It might need a separated spinoff for them only or something to get a real tangible development from both, Not just silly moments that give them a leap into the couple territory.

gk3389127

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
This here, what just happened in the last chapter, presents one of, if not the greatest opportunity for NaLu development yet (more so than yokai-Lucy). If Natsu could see Lucy in this state, it could help stir new emotions in him, that could evolve into something greater. I'm he won't be involved in the fight, if for no other reason he's far from it with Suzaku, but if Lucy really does lose her arm, and Natsu sees that, we could take one of the biggest steps towards canonizing the one remaining major pairing in the manga ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
This here, what just happened in the last chapter, presents one of, if not the greatest opportunity for NaLu development yet (more so than yokai-Lucy). If Natsu could see Lucy in this state, it could help stir new emotions in him, that could evolve into something greater. I'm he won't be involved in the fight, if for no other reason he's far from it with Suzaku, but if Lucy really does lose her arm, and Natsu sees that, we could take one of the biggest steps towards canonizing the one remaining major pairing in the manga ever.
OMG, I hadn't even read that new chapter, blitzed over to read it and it makes me wonder if it's a permanent change, cause even
Laxus
was massively affected by the situation. If Natsu sees that, it's PTSD BSOD END time for sure.
Idk if that will affect the nature of their relationship, but if she loses that arm permanently, he'll blame himself big time for not being there for her, to prevent it, just like he did when he awoke as END and trashed DiMaria, so if that side of his aims to make a comeback, this would be the trigger. Ignia's flames already influence(d) his attitude in that direction

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I ship suzaku and Selene
I think kirin and misaki have dated before. I ship natsu with lissana Lucy Faris Misaki and the princess of fiore I forgot her name.
I use to like the idea of misaki and Erza but my love for jerza is too much and I thought misaki should be in natsu's harem.
I thought the idea of selene and Eileen together was good but selene uses men for appetizers while drinking sake.
Obviously I ship Mira and laxus.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I was surprised when larcade's magic didn't work on Mira and cana. Rogue and Minerva caught me off guard. What kind of ship is that, we never even saw anything like that and the fact that Minerva has tasted forbidden pleasure I'm surprised. Also notice how larcade magic made Eileen blush 🤭🤭 I would like to see this magic on selene

FireIce

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Just blushing for laxus can't convince me. And I believe she loves Misaki not laxus.

Didn't she call Misaki "nee-chan"?

Well, Kyriaxus was kinda hinted since Aldo arc.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The way Hiro left Laxus in 545 leads me to "feel" that Mirajane, Cana and Lisanna could not tame the dragon. In this regard I find it more palatable to entertain other pairings for Laxus (and by extension, Mirajane, Lisanna and Cana).

Kyria could work out but I'd rather headcanon a crackship like Brandish x Laxus.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Didn't she call Misaki "nee-chan"?

Well, Kyriaxus was kinda hinted since Aldo arc.
No. Nothing about kyria and laxus. Only kyria blushing
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I ship brandish with ajeel. I can see that ship working.

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France

Nespi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Laxus/Kyria. Best couple for sure:doge

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
was mira seen in one of the larcade's magic panels? iirc she wasnt 🤔

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
was mira seen in one of the larcade's magic panels? iirc she wasnt 🤔
But she was fighting Jacob at the time. I think Hiro would've showed it if she was affected by Pleasure

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Miraxus fans, don't be intimidated by kyriaxus or freed x laxus. Both ships don't exist. Mira and laxus will give us four kids

Laxus is a Chad so he deserves all the women :hip:datass

Undina

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I personally think she's a lesbian and in love with Dimaria
I could easily see it from Mari's angle, but Idk about Randi, we need more proof there, unless you remember a specific scene where Randi was shown to be particularly emotionally shaken/impressed by something DiMaria said or did.