Discussion - The Official Relationship/Pairing/Shipping Thread | Page 47 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Official Relationship/Pairing/Shipping Thread

Why do you like your OTP?

• Total voters

jellalsexualll

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Did anyone realize? The more I think about it, I just realized in this arc the big 4 have their own moments. Jellal and Erza were in the same place. Natsu and Lucy vs Jacob. Gajeel and Levy is happening. They will have their peak in next chapter. And Gray x Juvia is coming. Really look forward to Gajeel x Levy and Gray x Juvia!

Elfman and Evergreen had only a little panel in Magnolia Defensive Battle. Happy didn't even know that Carla was in bad shape in Hargeon. Also, my OTP, Laxus x Mira, they are separated. If Mira knew that Laxus was in bad shape, she would definitely be so worried :(
Ohhhh Sting/Yukino and Rogue/Minerva are two I also ship and they're with each other right now, but yeah I did notice that! I'm hoping that Jellal and Erza don't get separated again though since that part of the battle is over, but I'm thinking they won't since all of this is leading to the final battle with Zeref and we know Jellal has a bone to pick with Zeref. And yes, Mira would be extremely worried if she knew the shape Laxus was in. :(

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Would be tragic if a pairing died by the end of the manga.

I hope it happens.

jellalsexualll

Reaction score
Country
United States
If any pairings die, I'd be alright with it being Gajevy. I have nothing against them, I'm just kinda tired of it being rubbed in our faces all of the time...

Jellal and Erza have had way too many "brushes with death" tbh. If they were to die, I'd feel like it'd be a real cop out if that makes sense. It'd be pointless to have kept bringing them back over and over when you think they might be dead or dying just to kill them off. That's just bad writing.

Gray and Juvia, I don't see anything happening tragically with them. One of them might end up badly hurt and on the verge of death which causes Gray to give her his answer, which we know he's going to tell her yes. I'm not sure. I'm waiting to see what'll happen in terms of END.

Natsu and Lucy, well not sure on this one... I mean ONE of them might die but I somehow doubt Mashima would kill off his two mains.

For side pairings, we could end up losing Lyon or Meredy or both. There's always the possibility of something happening to Bisca and Alzack, or Ren and Sherry, possible Elfman and Evergreen too. Honestly, it's hard to say at this point. I'm not sure Mashima is going for tragic though. He seems very reluctant to kill off any of his characters.

Vici

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I also ship KaguraxMillianna.
Finally a ship I can fully support :zomg

Would be tragic if a pairing died by the end of the manga.

I hope it happens.
Well somehow any death is much unlikely for me and from the main Ships i could only see Gajeel dying..
It's more possible that people who are somehow connected to the people example Jerza ( Milianna/Kagura(Just another scenario than i have predicted i don't wanna to start to dislike Jellal :P )/Meldy , Gruvia (Lyon/Meldy).

But I think most of the people are somehow safe maybe we will get one death but at this one I think it would be characters connected to main cast not the main cast themselves :P

jellalsexualll

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I should say YAY or I'm sorry that we don't ship the same ships? Lol

Well somehow any death is much unlikely for me and from the main Ships i could only see Gajeel dying..
It's more possible that people who are somehow connected to the people example Jerza ( Milianna/Kagura(Just another scenario than i have predicted i don't wanna to start to dislike Jellal :P )/Meldy , Gruvia (Lyon/Meldy).

But I think most of the people are somehow safe maybe we will get one death but at this one I think it would be characters connected to main cast not the main cast themselves :P
Gotta agree with you on this. Could see Gajeel dying, but nobody else in terms of the big four. Hell I doubt even Gajeel dies. Now what you say about people connected to the ships dying makes more sense. Kagura and Meredy for Jellal and Erza. Lyon for Gray and Juvia, etc... But yeah. I can also see Mavis and Zeref finally able to go in peace together, because I guarantee you that there will be some way for Natsu to survive so Zeref can die peacefully. Perhaps he'll be lifted from his curse. I have no idea. Just guesses I suppose.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I doubt anyone of the main ships die, I remember seeing somewhere that Hiro said since parts of the ending of Rave were hella dark, he wanted to make FT a lighter series, so that was one of the supporting reasons you see a lot of fun and comedy in the series.. but with the steady progression that it would get darker as it continues, starting from Tartaros with killing the Council to where it's going now in the Alvarez arc. But I'm with y'all, if somebody from one of the big 4 ships had to died it'll probably be Gajeel or Levy. From either Acno murking him or plot in general with Levy but doubt it

Last edited:

Otaku shrink

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Is anyone starting to feel a little bit of Gajevy burnout recently? I do not dislike them, but they have been bizarrely, disproportionately represented in various facets of Fairy Tail media.

jellalsexualll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is anyone starting to feel a little bit of Gajevy burnout recently? I do not dislike them, but they have been bizarrely, disproportionately represented in various facets of Fairy Tail media.
Trust me, you are not the only one... I'm downright sick of seeing them at this point. x_x The fanservice is getting seriously old. I'm getting tired of watching Mashima cater to the Gajevy fans. He also caters to the Gruvia and Nalu, so how about Jerza? When are we gonna see some 'Jerza fanservice' in the manga again I wonder? I'm not saying anything bad about Gruvia or Nalu. I love Gruvia and ship them, and I enjoy Nalu, but I'm tired of seeing those 3 out of the big 4 rubbed in our faces... it's starting to make me sad.

Otaku shrink

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Trust me, you are not the only one... I'm downright sick of seeing them at this point. x_x The fanservice is getting seriously old. I'm getting tired of watching Mashima cater to the Gajevy fans. He also caters to the Gruvia and Nalu, so how about Jerza? When are we gonna see some 'Jerza fanservice' in the manga again I wonder? I'm not saying anything bad about Gruvia or Nalu. I love Gruvia and ship them, and I enjoy Nalu, but I'm tired of seeing those 3 out of the big 4 rubbed in our faces... it's starting to make me sad.
I do agree that Jerza could stand to get a little bit.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
If any pairings die, I'd be alright with it being Gajevy. I have nothing against them, I'm just kinda tired of it being rubbed in our faces all of the time...

Jellal and Erza have had way too many "brushes with death" tbh. If they were to die, I'd feel like it'd be a real cop out if that makes sense. It'd be pointless to have kept bringing them back over and over when you think they might be dead or dying just to kill them off. That's just bad writing.

Gray and Juvia, I don't see anything happening tragically with them. One of them might end up badly hurt and on the verge of death which causes Gray to give her his answer, which we know he's going to tell her yes. I'm not sure. I'm waiting to see what'll happen in terms of END.

Natsu and Lucy, well not sure on this one... I mean ONE of them might die but I somehow doubt Mashima would kill off his two mains.

For side pairings, we could end up losing Lyon or Meredy or both. There's always the possibility of something happening to Bisca and Alzack, or Ren and Sherry, possible Elfman and Evergreen too. Honestly, it's hard to say at this point. I'm not sure Mashima is going for tragic though. He seems very reluctant to kill off any of his characters.
One or both of them might die if they really get spammed as much as people claim (disagreed, especially when we see too much Natsu x Lucy anyway), and though I wouldn't mind Gajeel dyingi though I like him, I don't want Levy to die. She's too cute, smart, and useful.

I can't see Jellal and Erza dying anyway, they'd probably get a happy ending if anything, given what they've been through. I don't see any of the big 3 pairings (or big 2 and Natsu and Lucy) dying, especially since at least four are main/major supporting characters. There's no way Natsu will die thanks to nakama ex machina, and it's the same with Erza.

I could see Elfman dying, and I highkey hope so.

Would be more fun if it was a main cast, but I don't see the four of them dying.

I love Jellal and Erza too much to want fan service. Displaying them more than usual between them two might not turn out to be so good, while making it rare is one of the reasons why the pairing is so good.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do agree that Jerza could stand to get a little bit.
I feel where y'all coming from but it's all cause of the circumstances I guess. If there was anyone who deserved the title of "most MIA or ducked off" person in FT it would be Jellal. Dude just doesn't get enough screen time. Usually when he appears him and Erza have some type of imitate moment but guess cause of the war scene and Erza getting trashed he ain't wanna put onus on it this time around. While Gajevy is apart of FT and we now know Hiro is intentionally gonna drown us in moments for them and Gruvia. It be like that sometimes

Last edited:

Tinitus

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
It's not even circumstances, Jellal and Erza met each other again. There are several instances where we deem it's reasonable enough for them to accumulate some moments from them that we may not have seen. For once, fight side to side with each other I'm not a fan of the ship, but Mashima simply has no excuse this time. It comes down to planning, and Mashima hasn't planned to give Jerza those moments simply because it's possible that he doesn't care much about the ship compared to the other big 3. So far the only moment we got from Jerza recently was in the omake, which was like in the end of it, and that was for a short time. Again, I'm not a fan of Jerza whatsoever, but facts are facts.

Jellal and Erza vs
this guy

^Yes, this badass looking guy right here. Not the new fail pretty boy design Mashima changed him to.

would've been much better than the atrocity we saw in the manga. Jerza moments would likely ensue.

I agree with Jellalsexual, Jerza isn't a side pairing, it's part of the main 4 (Erza is in it for god sakes) so it should get as much as favourable treatment as the other 3. Likeability of the ship itself is secondary. Equality is primary. As a writer and author of the manga, you need to be fair.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol I don't get what having a badass Neinhart over a pretty boy one correlates into having a Jerza moment but whatever. And yeah true Hiro should be objective when it comes to ships but he even tweeted that he likes drawing Natsu and Lucy together so I guess what he meant in the interview is he won't draw nothing too crazy in the romantic department in the actual series. It really simply comes down to Jellal not being around and seen as much as Nalu, Gruvia, and Gajevy is what I'm trying get at

Last edited:

Tinitus

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Fighting side by side can corrolate to a moment.
That version of Neinhart doesn't seem like a weak pushover than the one we got, and if we saw Neinhart living up to his hype as spriggan, Erza and Jellal should've fought him side by side.

Otaku shrink

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I feel where y'all coming from but it's all cause of the circumstances I guess. If there was anyone who deserved the title of "most MIA or ducked off" person in FT it would be Jellal. Dude just doesn't get enough screen time. Usually when he appears him and Erza have some type of imitate moment but guess cause of the war scene and Erza getting trashed he ain't wanna put onus on it this time around. While Gajevy is apart of FT and we now know Hiro is intentionally gonna drown us in moments for them and Gruvia. It be like that sometimes
I think it's more because it's been not just Mashima, but also the spinoffs and the OVA.

jellalsexualll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now THIS I can agree with. Jellal does not get enough screentime/panel time at all whatsoever and it's awful because he's an incredible character with A LOT of potential. I know that many people do not feel the same way I do, but that is just how I feel personally.
It's not even circumstances, Jellal and Erza met each other again. There are several instances where we deem it's reasonable enough for them to accumulate some moments from them that we may not have seen. For once, fight side to side with each other I'm not a fan of the ship, but Mashima simply has no excuse this time. It comes down to planning, and Mashima hasn't planned to give Jerza those moments simply because it's possible that he doesn't care much about the ship compared to the other big 3. So far the only moment we got from Jerza recently was in the omake, which was like in the end of it, and that was for a short time. Again, I'm not a fan of Jerza whatsoever, but facts are facts.

Jellal and Erza vs
this guy

^Yes, this badass looking guy right here. Not the new fail pretty boy design Mashima changed him to.

would've been much better than the atrocity we saw in the manga. Jerza moments would likely ensue.

I agree with Jellalsexual, Jerza isn't a side pairing, it's part of the main 4 (Erza is in it for god sakes) so it should get as much as favourable treatment as the other 3. Likeability of the ship itself is secondary. Equality is primary. As a writer and author of the manga, you need to be fair.
I totally understand and respect that you don't ship the pairing, but I'm glad you agree with me on some aspects. Yeah I know he probably doesn't care about the ship as much as the fans do, but still... it's kinda frustrating when you're hoping for at least the smallest of something and it's just not there. It's making me feel a little sad I guess. I'm not talking like I want fanservice of Jerza out the ass or anything here like we get with Gajevy, but I mean even if it had been just him knelt down at her side checking on her condition or even carrying her back to the port since she was unconscious.

It's clear that Erza is most likely too big for Kagura to carry on her own (like we saw in GMG when Erza's foot was broken) just would have been a nice touch. Just something to show his concern for her injuries and current condition, but no. Nothing and then what do we get? An effing indirect Jerza kiss from Kagura. I mean it was funny and pandered to the fans, but was that truly necessary? Idk... I just feel cheated sometimes I guess. I love Gruvia and Nalu is eh... getting a little tired of having that rubbed into my face too but not as bad as Gajevy. In any case, it was nice to see Jellal break the sky and summon Grand Chariot from the cosmos itself for her, but still... would just a little something have hurt? :/ I'm terribly sorry. I know I sound whiny. I apologize. I just wish we'd see something more is all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think it's more because it's been not just Mashima, but also the spinoffs and the OVA.
Could you elaborate further? Do you think it has anything to do with Mashima's editors? Perhaps Mashima had stuff he wanted to add into the chapter but the editors said no? What do you think?

darkenedreality

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think another issue with Gajevy is that it originally came out of no where, and lacked major development compared to the rest of the ships. It's as if Hiro is playing catch up with them, which in turn makes us feel like he's shoving it down our throats. They are two side characters, therefore it's annoying. The two have kids in the future, a sign they won't die. The light novel gave away their children, which was a stupid move no matter how obvious a ship is or how plot irrelevant they are.

Hiro knows Gajevy is popular overseas as he said it in volume 46's international guild art section under a drawing. That could have something to do with it also. Again, Gajevy is just a bonus, it's not suspenseful like the the other pairings and the least confrontational with fans. Hiro probably doesn't mind adding them in because of that.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think another issue with Gajevy is that it originally came out of no where, and lacked major development compared to the rest of the ships. It's as if Hiro is playing catch up with them, which in turn makes us feel like he's shoving it down our throats. They are two side characters, therefore it's annoying. The two have kids in the future, a sign they won't die. The light novel gave away their children, which was a stupid move no matter how obvious a ship is or how plot irrelevant they are.
I agree with everything in your second paragraph but I disagree with some things you said here. I honestly think Gajevy has had the most progression of any on the big 4 ships... Gajeel went from basically beating Levy up to now caring for her and going out his way to protect her. Coming from out nowhere I wouldn't say that either but I can see what you meant by that. If I was gonna rank it based on progression I would say:

Gajevy > Gruvia > Nalu & Jerza

the last two being tied cause Nalu has really been stuck in neutral for most of the series besides a few hints here and there... they'll most likely be the last ship canonized and they're still best friends right now so there's no rush while Jerza was always a ship in my eyes where Erza and Jellal both always knew what's up with each other's status so there is no need for a huge noticeable progression cause they're already like that to me

The side story wasn't canon either but obviously Hiro wouldn't approve of it if he didn't want it to be made so its just something to make shippers look forward to Gajevy. Just my take