I agree with M3J on the fact that pure fanservice doesn't always (emphasis on
always) equate to shipping moments. I agree with Gabo that in an ecchi/shonen manga where romance isn't prevalent or focused on it's a good way at times (emphasis on
at times) to point potential ships. Let me give y'all an example:
I'm picking these off the top of my head. This is where I understand M3J's side, nobody will confuse which one of these moments is more romantic. The Nalu moments here are purely fanservice while the Gruvia are truly romantic. I'm not saying Nalu hasn't had romantic moments, don't assume that. The hug Lucy gave Natsu after he destroyed the gate was nothing but romantic, I get that. But we can't confuse fanservice moments w/ romantic moments if it's doesn't match up imo. It's like people are forcing themselves to think this:
- fanservice w/ someone = romance/shipping
while in truth it's really this:
- fanservice w/ someone ≠ romance/shipping
It honestly depends on the moment. OVA 4 or the Christmas special is a good example of fanservice = romantic, while something like Rogue groping Yukino which means Rogue loves her.....? It isn't. It's just comedy and that's the part I struggle to get w/ shipping. Crack ships are fun and I get why people like to do so, everyone is guilty of that lowkey but that's not my point. It's no question there are times where fanservice moments are romantic, of course, I'm not debating that. It's simply a fact that Nalu doesn't have the sheer amount of "romantic moments" as the others in the Big 4, flat out. It makes sense according to what Hiro recently said about them too, they're still in the friends phase. And I like Nalu alot, it's my favorite out of all of them so I'm not hating I'm just being real.