Awards - The Oscars Thread - MH Oscars Contest 2018 | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Awards The Oscars Thread - MH Oscars Contest 2018

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
You asked for it, you got it

You want to make predictions about Oscar results?

If you are not sure what they are (the Oscar's I mean), then I am not sure how you found this thread...

Just think of a small golden statue of a man holding a stick being given out to some undeserving actors/actresses/directors/general nobodies related to films in some way or other.
Think far too many emotions
Crying (most fake, but there may be a few genuine tears here and there)
Fancy costumes
Think the exact kind of occasion which Kanye West may rush up on stage, uninvited, and make an arse of himself!

Think this

So ask yourself: Who do you think is going to win? What are your favourite nominees?
Who do you think will win (and more importantly, who do you think should win)...

Also, to increase the fun all the way to 11 - there's a fancy competition (with a possibility to win a nice badge also [terms and conditions apply - badges may be revoked/not given out at moderator's discretion])

To be fair, you should really play - even if you hate the Oscars - especially if you hate the Oscars... only because, if you win, you can lord it over all those who actually do care!

So, with that all said, I present:

MH Oscars Contest 2018

It's that time again, time to pretend that you know more about films than you actually do.
Time to unequivocally state why your choices are correct and why anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron
(please don't actually do this - peace and love for everyone ね :love)

Anyway
It all finally culminates on Sunday the 4th March, at the 90th Academy Awards.
Awards will be handed out for all kinds of film related categories - Best Film, Best Actor/Actress in a leading role, Best person-who-wasn't-good-enough-to-be-the-leading-actor-so-we-made-a-runners-up-prize-to-make-them-feel-better... There's even an award for hairstyling?!?

We at Mangahelpers are hosting our own Oscar winners poll, with the chance to win your own Oscar. As an award badge [again, if anyone asks, although I wrote this, I don't promise nuthin'!].

Rules:
- Go here and make your picks!
- The user with the most correct guesses wins the award. Remember to leave your username in the poll.
last year, some bright sparks forgot this/wrote random handles (they didn't win, funnily enough - mainly cause I am far too lazy to try and guess/think about who is who - make it simple if you want to win. If not, just write your name as M3J and pick shitty picks)
- Only 1 entry allowed. In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts.
- In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the Big 5 Categories wins. (Best Film, Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories)
- If still a tie, then I am sure we will be able to think of some way to separate the quality wheat from the less-savoury chaff
-There is time to vote until 5:00 p.m. PST on March 4, 2018 // 1AM on March 5th GMT
- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favourites in the thread. Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly important necessary recommended.

And remember, if you lose:

1. You weren't actually trying - if you were, you'd have crushed everyone else easily!
2. You didn't really care anyway
3. Someone probably cheated, bribing a mod to miscount their votes...
4. Who are these mods anyway - blithering idiots must have made a mistake somewhere or other
5. It's only the Oscars - not some actually important award - like the Golden Cleric or something

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
The poll is now closed. Best of luck everyone. Gonna publish the results as soon as I can tomorrow.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mad Max is really cleaning up the categories; I'm really happy about that because I don't think it'll win Best Film or Director.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Positively surprised that both Vikander and Rylance won supporting actress/actor. Then again, both movies they were in are basically oscar bait, so that probably helped.
Once again i am reminded how much i dislike Chris Rock, there is nothing funny about him or what he says to be honest.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised me too. I really wanted Mark Rufallo to win for Spotlight but yes, Oscar-bait films.
I don't mind Chris Rock as a comedian, but the whole gag for tonight is severely outplayed and he's just not done it for me tonight, I keep muting it every so often.

Judging from his presentation tonight, I'd like them to give it to Louis CK for next year.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Ruffalo would have been awesome, underrated actor if you ask me. I still hope for Spotlight to win best film but i fear it will go to Revenant.
Another category that imo should have had another winner is cinematography. Of course Lubezki is a genius in his craft but Deakins deserves on as well.

Yep, it got so annoying. There is no doubt that Hollywood in itself has a diversity issue which in turn stems from issues in the society itself but it´s not an issue that can be dealt with on such an occasion and especially not how Rock does it.
Louis CK would be awesome but even if they offered him the part, i kind of feel he would not accept.

Unfortunately, i probably iwll not be able to watch till the end, gotta go to work soon, the awards are just too long.:amuse

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm a little sad that 'The Martian' got shut out. :scry
But Mad Max really did well!

Never saw Spotlight though.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little sad that 'The Martian' got shut out. :scry
But Mad Max really did well!

Never saw Spotlight though.
You really should watch it, it's my favourite film this year. Though I also enjoyed Room and The Martian.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Wut...did I really submit twice? You sure it wasn't just from when we were testing the form prior to the event?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
No real shockers from what I can tell. Sort of shitty that Deakins will continue to be Oscar-less for another year, but it's pretty understandable, I guess.

I wasn't really put off too much by the hosting, but I was sort of confused about whether they were poking fun at themselves for the recent controversy or whether they were poking fun at the complainers?...I sort of got a mixed message at times.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I felt his opening monologue was enough to address the issue, which I thought he did pretty well. After that, I didnt enjoy his presentation so much. I'm really wanting Louis CK to host, but it'd be the equivalent of Ricky Gervais,wouldn't it. They'd have to allow for some swearing for him to not feel restrained too much.

I was surprised Vikander won for Supporting Actress but it was deserved I guess, I thought Rachel McAdams was good in Spotlight and I didnt watch any of the other nominated films in that category, and also she was supporting as part of bigger cast, so not a hell of a lot of time.

Ah 11 correct, I thought I'd do better than that. Congrats, @Brandish

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Wut...did I really submit twice? You sure it wasn't just from when we were testing the form prior to the event?
You can see from the time stamp on the far left, that it is after the time I originally posted the poll in this thread. The answers are also in the order they had been submitted, so Faust being before you also confirms that (as only mods were testing). There are some empty lines at the top of the spreadsheet, that because I removed all the test picks, so yeah, you forgot you had already submitted. And not only that, your first submission was better :D

No real shockers from what I can tell. Sort of shitty that Deakins will continue to be Oscar-less for another year, but it's pretty understandable, I guess.
I'm sad too, though Lubezki and the all natural light work in Revenant was phenomenal. Well, we'll just hope Deakins and rest of the team will win every award for Blade Runner 2 in 2018 :3c

I was surprised Vikander won for Supporting Actress but it was deserved I guess, I thought Rachel McAdams was good in Spotlight and I didnt watch any of the other nominated films in that category, and also she was supporting as part of bigger cast, so not a hell of a lot of time.
I actually thought of making a new submission just before the deadline, mainly because there was suddenly so much buzz about Vikander. Haven't seen her in anything, but somehow she feels like a new J Law.

Didn't see the Gala itself, but I've never really gotten into Chris Rock :/

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I felt his opening monologue was enough to address the issue, which I thought he did pretty well. After that, I didnt enjoy his presentation so much. I'm really wanting Louis CK to host, but it'd be the equivalent of Ricky Gervais,wouldn't it. They'd have to allow for some swearing for him to not feel restrained too much.

Ah 11 correct, I thought I'd do better than that. Congrats, @Brandish
I thought it would go to either Kate Winslet or Rooney Mara since the former is a oscar favorite, like a younger version of Meryl Streep for example, while Rooney Mara´s performance was actually, really good in Carol, another movie i thought would get much more awards.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The supporting actress one was a toughie. I saw the Danish Girl most recently so it (Vikander) stuck with me the most.

Spotlight winning Best Picture was alright by me (voted for Big Short), but thought Gaga's song was a winner. The travesty comes with my man Sly not winning it for Creed, his acceptance speech would have been "Yo Adrian, I did it". Ah well just gonna wait for Creed II lol so he can win it for that.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
You can see from the time stamp on the far left, that it is after the time I originally posted the poll in this thread. The answers are also in the order they had been submitted, so Faust being before you also confirms that (as only mods were testing). There are some empty lines at the top of the spreadsheet, that because I removed all the test picks, so yeah, you forgot you had already submitted. And not only that, your first submission was better :D
Not saying it really mattered, we set up the duplicate rule for a reason and I wouldn't have won anyways. I just legit don't remember filling it out for essentially a third time...lol

I'm sad too, though Lubezki and the all natural light work in Revenant was phenomenal. Well, we'll just hope Deakins and rest of the team will win every award for Blade Runner 2 in 2018 :3c
Don't jinx it... That movie is basically sacrosanct for me. I like everything I've heard so far.....but....

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

MH Oscars Contest 2017

Hello to all movie-enthusiasts and casual viewers! It is the award season once again. It all culminates on 26th of February at the 89th Academy Awards ceremony where this years Oscars are handed to the best cinematic feats of the past year. Will La la Land sweep the board, or will Moonlight surprise? We at Mangahelpers are hosting our own Oscar winners poll, with the chance to win your own Oscar. As an award badge.

Rules:
- Go here and make your picks!
- The user with the most correct guesses wins the award. Remember to leave your username in the poll.
- Only 1 entry allowed. In case an user does multiple entries, only the last one counts.
-In case of a tie, the user with most corrects in the Big 5 Categories wins. (Best Film, Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and both Screenplay categories)
-There is time to vote untill February 26th 4.00 PM PST // 7.00 PM EST // February 27th 12.00 AM GMT
- You are allowed to discuss your picks and personal favorites in the thread. Telling us why you voted how you voted is highly recommended.​

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
YAAAAAS I'm in! It's time to predict La La Land won't win ANYTHING (ok maybe something but not in the major catagories xxx).

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Agreed. Always the dilemma of having to predict winners you don't want to win..

That darn best actor category is a pickle this year... Toughest one to predict in years. Affleck has taken almost all the major awards, but Denzel took the most important one (SAG).. also, Affleck's harassment case headlines might affect the outcome. I want to go for Affleck, and will kick myself if I don't, but.... gah!

I so wish I could pick Kubo for best animated film..
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Alright so I went with Affleck. Despite the Oscars following in the SAG awards steps for Best Actor every year since 2003...

Damnit, now I've changed my mind again. Welp, too late now.

BluePegasus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Affleck deserves it so they better not give it to Denzel nnnn.