Discussion - The Purpose of Zoro | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Purpose of Zoro

Are Zoro's progress and purpose bound to remain in Luffy's shadow or he will have a unique moment?

• Yes, Zoro will remain in Luffy's shadow.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, Zoro will have his 5 minutes.

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 169696

@nik87

Man, I have been saying this for a while now but no one wants to listen.

Zoro will die, obviously. It was foreshadowed back when it was first established that creatures can die in One Piece!! (duh)

Also still rooting for Queen to lead the strawhats as their new captain. I think Oda is clearly trying to get rid of that annoying dude with the hat what was his name?

But seriously though, I bet $10 (which I absolutely and undoubtedly have because I'm not a broke ass bum) that absolutely nothing happens to Zoro in chapter 944... 😄

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@nik87

Man, I have been saying this for a while now but no one wants to listen.

Zoro will die, obviously. It was foreshadowed back when it was first established that creatures can die in One Piece!! (duh)

Also still rooting for Queen to lead the strawhats as their new captain. I think Oda is clearly trying to get rid of that annoying dude with the hat what was his name?

But seriously though, I bet $10 (which I absolutely and undoubtedly have because I'm not a broke ass bum) that absolutely nothing happens to Zoro in chapter 944... 😄
You got me. :XD
At first I was like, okay Pea is giving the theory a possibility but then I saw Queen replacing the annoying dude with the hat and I was like Wtf 😂

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
And to stay on topic: Zoro is even more important here because since Luffy's planning on taking on Yonkou and likely the Marines/WG, Zoro's power will be needed to keep the other Straw Hats safe, even Luffy. He's also important in that he provides a tough perspective like he did with the Usopp situation.
What ya mean by that?

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, the speculated chapter 944 is slowly approaching and the theory says that Zoro will die!
What are the chances of this happening? How will Oda pull of a death of one of the main characters and still keep him in the story?
If it was Brook or Franky a death could be cheated and be plausible but how to make it plausible with Zoro?
I've been thinking, perhaps it foreshadows the death of Mihawk? That seems a lot more plausible at this point, we do see a cross in the foreground.

here could be translation errors or we yet have to understand some scenes with Zoro, for example, these words of Mr 1.
It aligns same as Viz, so i guess its as accurate as it gets.

thedude

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
(theories about chapter 944 are all uniformly stupid. Nothing will happen in 944.)

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
944: that day, Zoro contracted Smile sickness, and realized how much he liked wearing purple suits and bloody dark comedy. Later, he would be known as the Clown Prince of Crime. I mean come on, it's obvious. He even has natural green hair!

In all seriousness I think it will be a case of Yasu or his spawn teaching Zoro how to laugh horrifically so that everytime he laughs he will be using that absurd grin of theirs. He used to laugh now and again pre-timeskip. Maybe losing an eye upset him. I know it would be good character development...

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is this 'Zoro will die' theory again? Kinda lost here.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
What is this 'Zoro will die' theory again? Kinda lost here.
It's based on the color spread of chapter 784.

Zoro is standing on a tombstone with the number 944. His shirt has a death symbol, with the words "Last" and "Best" in Spanish. This seemingly links it to Mihawk, who was the "Best Swordman" and has the appearance of a Spanish swordsman. There's also a treasure chest with a crucifix that is very similar to Mihawk's sword.

Note that it has been confirmed that the Levely arc is going to return this year, and the dismissal of the Shichibukai system is probably going to be mentioned again.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States

Zoro is standing on a tombstone with the number 944. His shirt has a death symbol, with the words "Last" and "Best" in Spanish. This seemingly links it to Mihawk, who was the "Best Swordman" and has the appearance of a Spanish swordsman. There's also a treasure chest with a crucifix that is very similar to Mihawk's sword.

Note that it has been confirmed that the Levely arc is going to return this year, and the dismissal of the Shichibukai system is probably going to be mentioned again.
I see, I don't see Zoro truly dying, but perhaps he could get defeated to near-death or something like 'faking' his death or mixture of both which can lead to anger to Luffy, Sanji, and others in fighting and being more serious until he comes back to help out (Also belief he is still obviously alive as it take more than that to kill him) for Fire Festival.

Though interesting theory people have founded though.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
944: that day, Zoro contracted Smile sickness, and realized how much he liked wearing purple suits and bloody dark comedy. Later, he would be known as the Clown Prince of Crime. I mean come on, it's obvious. He even has natural green hair!

In all seriousness I think it will be a case of Yasu or his spawn teaching Zoro how to laugh horrifically so that everytime he laughs he will be using that absurd grin of theirs. He used to laugh now and again pre-timeskip. Maybe losing an eye upset him. I know it would be good character development...
he laughed at Pica post time skip!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That might be one of the most idiotic theories around, I'm glad 944 is nearly here so this dumb thing can die. You guys give Oda wayyyyy too much credit on the planning, if he could plan what would happen in 944 all the way back in chapter 784, his pacing would be a lot better recently.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Now, now. If Zoro's death was planned, it would be something of much higher priority in the outline, much, much earlier than, say, Big Mom's hunger pang rampage. It would be something like Ace's death, around which the plot might focus.

It could be perfectly plausible something happens to Mihawk though. We've been warned constantly about the Warlord system potentially ending. Luffy's punched far too many holes in it and Mihawk seemed to consider it a potentially sinking ship. Who knows? He may wake up one morning to find Kizaru or Green Bull at his doorstep, looking for a duel. Or the both of them, just in case he tried to join a big Yonkou crew or does something against the government.

Given how Oda off-panels things, we may not even see the duel and something just pops up in a newspaper that Zoro reads about Mihawk getting defeated.

But with Zoro sitting on the tombstone... makes me feel like it could foreshadow something. Perhaps an important event in his life. I still say it's the day he contracts Smiling disease.

Or Perhaps Zoro masters a technique Mihawk tried to teach him? Maybe he will successfully transform his blades into permanent black blades, and thus reach a rank whereby he could rival the top tiers like Vista, Shanks and Mihawk.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Mihawk dying in ch.944 is very possible but considering we are in middle of events in Wano, it will be off-paneled and that would suck so much, for several reasons. One reason is that we would not see how the best swordsman in the world fights and what he is capable of while the other reason is that Zoro loses the goal he is after and never gets to have the long-awaited rematch with Hawk-eye.

The theory that Zoro dies in ch.944 is not that stupid to me, since the death theme is following Zoro since a long time and besides, nobody expects Zoro to stay dead. That's the best part of it, if he really dies it would be interesting to see how Oda will bring him back. If time travel is possible and if Brook died and returned among the living, then Zoro dying and returning wouldn't really be unbelievable that much.

Anyway, ch.944 is getting closer but I bet we will have a break week after ch.943 just to keep us guessing a week longer. :toc

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
One thing, and one thing alone bothers me. When Luffy defeated Gecko Moria, Moria warned him that "the real nightmare is in the New World", referencing what happened to his crewmates when he fought Kaido. It was Kaido who killed them. And Moria basically warns Luffy that Kaido will slaughter his crewmates too. If Zoro does die, I would assume it be by the hands of Kaido and his men. But the reasons I find that hard to believe is mostly merchandising. Even if it was Oda's internal intention, the editors would never let him hurt OP finances that way. Another, lesser loved SH member, maybe, but not Zoro.

You know what? Let us assume Hiyori=Komurasaki, a woman who just somehow cheated death. Let's assume she has something that heals people from death (if used before a certain time, in all likelihood.)

Zoro (and most of OP fanbase) learn Orochi is no slouch and is actually more than worthy of being strongest Wano individual (due to fruit, not swordsmanship), and manages to kill Zoro. Or Zoro beats him only for Sly Fox Kyoushiro to just walk up and back stab him the instant his guard goes down, assuming he's not actually seriously good and is capable of defeating Zoro then and there fairly. In that instance, Zoro would die, but would get healed by Hiyori off-screen or something (I still think it's Otoko who is Toki and healed Hiyori. But that's just in case Hiyori gets captured, or visa versa). Point being, Zoro does in fact die!

But we already had a character die and get resurrected, seemingly, and he's been sleeping next to her for goodness sake! We all wondered why Oda brought the two together. And this is why! It will feel very contrived and obvious afterward, and everyone else will feel guilty they didn't think of it! You read it here first! It was me, Teach! (Poses like Dio Brando). Zehahahahah!

And then HP, in his soulless way, will lay out for everyone how this was so clearly foreshadowed even a piece of roadkill with its brains spewed onto the concrete could figure out, if it still had eyeballs to read. And we will all move on, the naysayers forgetting all they said to the poor people who made theories, so they can insult and mock the next theory that eventually is fulfilled in due time. Nobody remembers the Mr. Prince youtube vids? Seriously? Zehahahahah!

Or maybe Orochi just eats Zoro, he is presumed dead, but will find an ancient sword inside that was Oden's or something and cut his way through. And it turns out he's actually the reincarnate Susanoo-esc figure of Wano and that's where Asura comes from. It could be that one that shoots Wind! What can cut fire?

Wind!

Or maybe Asura actually gives him 3 lives, and you gotta actually kill all three of "him" to win. Maybe this Zoro we know is the nice guy. And the untamed, bloodthirsty beasts are the other Asura personae.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why can't a picture just be a picture? why does "Zoro sitting on a tombstone" in a picture about the Straw Hats with Zombies in a graveyard have to be anything more than a picture of the Straw Hats sitting in a graveyard with Zombies?

Can anyone name a time where Oda foreshadowed something in a random color spread like this? I'm struggling to understand why so many seem to believe such utter stupidity...

And why would Mihawk die in 944? "we take a break from the middle of this arc to kill this guy who is nowhere near it!" Unless Oda just completely loses his mind, he isn't that bad of a writer that he would do that. It also stretches the already dumb theory beyond its breaking point, like people can obviously tell that Zoro isn't dying, but they still need someone to die in 944 to keep this idiotic theory going so "Zoro=Swordsman=Mihawk!"

I really have to remember to lower my opinion of you lot intellectually sometimes...

Let me put up my theory: Based on every color spread, and this one in particular, all straw hats live until the end. A lot of color pages have Luffy wearing a crown, signifying Pirate King, and since his crew is all around him, this color spread shows that Luffy will become Pirate King with his entire crew living with him, and they will sit on the graves of their enemies.

Oh my god! Someone mark up the color page in MS paint to show how this theory is totally true (although it will be partially true when Luffy becomes PK and none of the straw hats die).

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
We can talk about characters boobs sizes for all I care. I'm just tired of the Sanji vs Zoro B.S. I'm just glad we are talking about something else for once

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Purpose of Zoro is to be the 2nd strongest fighter. He's Luffy's unofficial 1st mate. Zoro is a fighter. Just like Luffy but in a different manner. Luffy fights to be free. Zoro fights because he likes fighting;

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
We can talk about characters boobs sizes for all I care. I'm just tired of the Sanji vs Zoro B.S. I'm just glad we are talking about something else for once
I hate those two...but at least I get it. Fans of each character arguing who is stronger, fine. But this chapter 944 "theory"...it's just utter nonsense.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Mihawk's not dying against anyone but a powerful swordsman because that'll be the person that Zoro will have to beat to be the greatest.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
In which case I would fully see Fujitora being the guy who does Mihawk in. That blind tiger is scary and his DF is overpowered af. I don't think anything is quite qualified to be scarier, assuming Oda doesn't nerf it somehow... it does seem like he cannot lift individuals, or alter their personal gravity.

But that should still be significant if he is fighting a swordsman, with that unbelievable dark-vision CoO and all. I could see him being a great opponent for Zoro as a Mihawk stand-in, especially now that Mihawk has been rendered into the mentor role. It would honestly feel... weird, for Zoro and him to fight to the death, or the bloody finish like at Baratie.

Status
Not open for further replies.