Games The RPG thread

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
I'm so jealous of your ability to play understand Japanese and play those games.

Have you played Valkyrie Chronicles 3 by chance. I'm dying to play that game but Sega just won't let me.(Localize it you bastards!:shakefist)
Sorry, while I've heard of its name, I never played it. As I said, ever since I came to know Tales and becomes its fan, I actually only focus on that series only and only jumped to a few numbers of other RPG series, like Final Fantasy (though I think that series is declining, really. I like X best in the series, just because I never played anything before that...hate XII and XIII a lot though), Kingdom Hearts (still am playing Dream Drop Distance...in fact, only at the start of it. I only got to the second world...-_-") and Persona (already said about that...love P4, got Vita just for P4G and everything else is an add-on to it)...and Pokemon (completely forgot...-_-"). Never really go out of these, since I don't really have that much time to be completing the game in these series that I already have already even. I didn't even start Tales of Graces F yet (though I'm playing Japanese one anyway) even though I bought it more than one year ago (but again, partly because I played the Wii version...and got to be honest, the main story is meh. I only bought ToGf because I heard Richard became a real piece of cracker in the future arc and that's all... .__.")
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sorry, while I've heard of its name, I never played it. As I said, ever since I came to know Tales and becomes its fan, I actually only focus on that series only and only jumped to a few numbers of other RPG series, like Final Fantasy (though I think that series is declining, really. I like X best in the series, just because I never played anything before that...hate XII and XIII a lot though), Kingdom Hearts (still am playing Dream Drop Distance...in fact, only at the start of it. I only got to the second world...-_-") and Persona (already said about that...love P4, got Vita just for P4G and everything else is an add-on to it)...and Pokemon (completely forgot...-_-"). Never really go out of these, since I don't really have that much time to be completing the game in these series that I already have already even. I didn't even start Tales of Graces F yet (though I'm playing Japanese one anyway) even though I bought it more than one year ago (but again, partly because I played the Wii version...and got to be honest, the main story is meh. I only bought ToGf because I heard Richard became a real piece of cracker in the future arc and that's all... .__.")
Ah, pity.

Persona and the Tales series are good choices though. I try to give as many JRPG's that get logalized into English at least a shot and if I had to pick two series that have held up the best in recent those would what I'd choose most likely. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the Tales of Graces f. The character in that game just didn't do it for me after the time skip.

I'm with you on Final Fantasy too. They lower the number the better game until at least VIII (I would argue VII).

As for the Tales series do you know if any of those games besides Symphonia had the multiple love interest story branching? That's one of the thing I've enjoyed most about the Persona series and I had hoped after Symphonia's success they would work more with that but they haven't seemed to. I feel puzzled that more JRPG's don't use that. Bioware games in general and the Persona have proven how successful that can be.
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Did someone just said Valkyria Chronicles? :zomg
Currently playing the first one for the first time on the ps3,
Played it till Isara's death atm
I have to say this game really did lived up to all the praises people have been giving it. It's so good that I'm kindda wondering whether I should get a psp or vita just to play VC 2.
And Sega is being dumb as usual for not bringing VC3 over for whatever reasons...VC3 just looks so epic.
Should I get Tales of Vesperia or Graces first?
I've also bought Dark Souls and just got passed the first boss, going to finish VC first before continuing on this unforgivable game.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did someone just said Valkyria Chronicles? :zomg
Currently playing the first one for the first time on the ps3,
Played it till Isara's death atm
I have to say this game really did lived up to all the praises people have been giving it. It's so good that I'm kindda wondering whether I should get a psp or vita just to play VC 2.
And Sega is being dumb as usual for not bringing VC3 over for whatever reasons...VC3 just looks so epic.
Should I get Tales of Vesperia or Graces first?
I've also bought Dark Souls and just got passed the first boss, going to finish VC first before continuing on this unforgivable game.
For what it's worth, VC2 is actually a lot better in my opinion. And I loved Valkyria Chronicles.:nod

Mainly because it has a kind of school based system. Where your deploy choose missions and deploy from a military school; giving everything a much less linear feel (though, sadly, the main story doesn't branch). There are also "events" with characters that happen in the school which allows you to build up relationships between them, which lead to missions. Sadly, it's not non-linear like the system Fire Emblem uses but it's a step in that direction.

That's one of the reasons I was asking Ju-da-su about it. I'm curious if 3 went back to linear or expanded the non-linear structure or went back to something more similar to the first one.

--------------------------------------------

Though after looking it up I looks like we'll be able to play 3 even if Sega categorically refuses to make money off me. Fan Translation Project to the rescue!
 
Last edited:

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
That looks like it's going to be complete, wow...now I'm seriously thinking of getting VC2 & 3.
But I would need to get a psp. I did play VC2 before back then I didn't know how great it was..it was just one of the games I pirated tbh.
I remember the setting was in the miltary school and the protagonist being vastly different from VC1 but that's all I remember, I never actually got to the third or fourth mission in that game.

I have a question though, is VC2 purchasable/downloadable on vita atm?
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Ah, pity.

Persona and the Tales series are good choices though. I try to give as many JRPG's that get logalized into English at least a shot and if I had to pick two series that have held up the best in recent those would what I'd choose most likely. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the Tales of Graces f. The character in that game just didn't do it for me after the time skip.

I'm with you on Final Fantasy too. They lower the number the better game until at least VIII (I would argue VII).

As for the Tales series do you know if any of those games besides Symphonia had the multiple love interest story branching? That's one of the thing I've enjoyed most about the Persona series and I had hoped after Symphonia's success they would work more with that but they haven't seemed to. I feel puzzled that more JRPG's don't use that. Bioware games in general and the Persona have proven how successful that can be.
The first time I played Persona 3, I was hooked... it was a really great RPG and the socialising and love aspect of the game really got me into it. But then my save file got corrupted... and I couldn't go through all that hard work again :( Started 4 the other day though, pretty much the same effect as the first time I played 3 lol.

As for Tales, I don't think there was any that had the multiple love story stuff. I've played almost all and none of them really had what you're looking for. Symphonia 2 was way too childish for me to finish, it got so annoying later into the story I got fed up. The characters, the voice overs,the dialogue....god I can't stand that game again. The best for me would always be Phantasia though, its one of my top 5 RPGs ever.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That looks like it's going to be complete, wow...now I'm seriously thinking of getting VC2 & 3.
But I would need to get a psp. I did play VC2 before back then I didn't know how great it was..it was just one of the games I pirated tbh.
I remember the setting was in the miltary school and the protagonist being vastly different from VC1 but that's all I remember, I never actually got to the third or fourth mission in that game.

I have a question though, is VC2 purchasable/downloadable on vita atm?
It is, at least that's what this articles says.

The protagonist from the first game shows up during VC2, along with some other familiar faces. I really can't recommend VC2 enough.

The first time I played Persona 3, I was hooked... it was a really great RPG and the socialising and love aspect of the game really got me into it. But then my save file got corrupted... and I couldn't go through all that hard work again :( Started 4 the other day though, pretty much the same effect as the first time I played 3 lol.

As for Tales, I don't think there was any that had the multiple love story stuff. I've played almost all and none of them really had what you're looking for. Symphonia 2 was way too childish for me to finish, it got so annoying later into the story I got fed up. The characters, the voice overs,the dialogue....god I can't stand that game again. The best for me would always be Phantasia though, its one of my top 5 RPGs ever.
I never played Symphonia 2 but i've never played a Tales game I didn't like.

The ones I've played are..

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Graces

Thanks to the sheer number of localized JRPG's of played I'm almost immune to bad english voice acting. The Dynasty Warriors games also I'm sure contributed to that. If it's good I enjoy it but if it's bad my brain just automatically tunes it out.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I never played Symphonia 2 but i've never played a Tales game I didn't like.

The ones I've played are..

Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Graces

Thanks to the sheer number of localized JRPG's of played I'm almost immune to bad english voice acting. The Dynasty Warriors games also I'm sure contributed to that. If it's good I enjoy it but if it's bad my brain just automatically tunes it out.
Destiny 2 is my favourite after Phantasia.Syhmphonia 2 had some great stuff, like taming monsters to fight with you and all that. And of course the battle system was awesome as usual... but damn, the characters weren't likeable at all.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Me and this guy think exactly the same way:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's supremely stoked for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch now.

​

Is it as good as it looks?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did anyone else get the Wizard's Edition? ^^
I didn't but it looks cool. That game looks just unbelievable. Sounds like the story, the visual, the music, and the game play all come together into something really special.

-------------------------------------------------

Also downloaded the demo for Fire Emblem Awakening on my new 3DS XL (decided to go with this instead of the bundle due to the bigger screen on the XL version). Hot damn is the demo awesome.

Here are some things I noticed while playing.

  • It's got an open world map.
    In a feature that has been absent from the Fire Emblem series since Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones it features a world map similar to the one in Final Fantasy Tactics with a bunch of towns and encounter areas through which you can move back and forth at will. I'm thrilled about this because it creates the potential for side-quests and giving more of a feeling of freedom and immersion.
  • The characters seem really good.
    The demo introduced 6 characters and the player avatar. The demo wasn't very long but the characters came across as genuinely charming and funny.
  • The animation looks great!
    The animated scenes reminded me very much of Valkyria Chronicles. It shares the same style of cell shaded animation and it works great.
  • The 3D effects look really good when you turn them on.
    It looked so good in 3D that I played the entire demo that way. I feel queezy, as expected, but it was totally worth it. Not only did the characters, effects, and animations look awesome but the backgrounds looked amazing too. I saw a forest and a town both looked stunningly good. In the part in the forest the characters fighting in 3D grass stood out as particularity gorgeous.
  • You get to create a customizable player avatar.
    Much like the first Fire Emblem you get to create your own character but this time you get a whole host of customization options including choosing male/female and picking a voice. Judging from the content of the demo this character isn't just a tacked on avatar, like the one in White Knight Chronicles for was, it seems to be an actual part of the story as much as any other character.
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh, I need to d/l the demo.

I've heard good things about that game as well
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I'm playing FFIV for the first time.
 

kimcheee

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 20, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
i'm excited about Ni no Kuni too!! Big fan of Studio Ghibli!!

I'm waiting for Lightning Returns...only because i've played the other FF13 games -.-;;
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wonder if Square Enix will ever stop making FFs and start working on other projects.
Not that I don't like FF but after this MMORPG-fail that is FF14, they should look for other options.
Like a CT remake :wtf
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Chrono Break. I will wait forever for that game.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I wonder if Square Enix will ever stop making FFs and start working on other projects.
Not that I don't like FF but after this MMORPG-fail that is FF14, they should look for other options.
Like a CT remake :wtf
If you replace the brain behind a franchise, you will absolutely fail. FF used to be on top of everything else. Now it's just another crappy game.
IX was the last real FF game IMO :D XII was acceptable.

and LoL @ FF14. just LoL.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,522
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'd be careful what you wish for with Square-Enix. They are some of the best at breaking gamer hearts.

I wanted a new Front Mission game and what did I get? "Front Mission Evolved"
I wanted a new Final Fantasy VII related game and what did I get? "Dirge of the Cerberus"
I wanted a new Final Fantasy RPG and they gave me FFXII, FFXIII, and the MMO nobody cares about.

They have mastered the art of turning dreams into nightmares
 
Last edited:
Top