Games The RPG thread

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Whoa Nice thread!
I am an RPG junkie if you wish to call it that :P (just to make it clear, I have a 689 hour savegame on FFXII alone... yeah... I have full inventory -_- I always complete the RPGs I play 100% so I don't ever think of playing them again).
I played A LOT of RPG games. Final Fantasy series are my favorites especially IX which had a great story and music (the first FF you play is always your favorite). But lately I played some amazing titles like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The Last remnant was a great game too and I am currently waiting for The witcher II and I am sure that it's going to be a freaking awesome game.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We (and everyone in this thread) need to become friends, hehe. I love RPGs too!

though, I'm entirely an old school gamer, as I almost never get new games (except for possibly an occasional computer game). I'm not very techy, so I'm lost with all this new technology, and don't have much money anyways for new consoles either.

what rpgs, have you played shinsatsu?

any of the old school rpgs (NES, SNES, GB, PS1, and old computer rpgs) ???

here's (some of) the games I've played:

HegemonKhan said:
School Old for the Win, (some of) these are truly epic RPGs!

ultimate RPGs

(bolded ones are my favorites, truly epic ones)

01. Breath of Fire 1 (SNES)
02. Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)
03. Breath of Fire 3 (PS1)
04. Final Fantasy 6 Jp / Final Fantasy 3 US (SNES)
05. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
06. Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)
07. Tales of Phantasia (SNES)
08. Final Fantasy 1-5 (NES-SNES)
09. 7th Saga (SNES)
10. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

11. Dragon Warrior 1-4 (NES-SNES)
12. Earthbound (SNES)
14. Lufia and the Fortress of Doom 1 (SNES)
15. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals 2 (SNES)
16. Might and Magic 4-5 (PC)
17. Might and Magic 1-3 (NES-SNES)
18. Paladin's Quest (SNES)
19. Robotrek (SNES)
20. Secret of Mana (SNES)
21. Seiken Densetsu 3 ("Secret of Mana 2, but its a prequel to Secret of Mana" (SNES)
22. Secret of Evermore (Not related to Secret of Mana at all) (SNES)
23. Ultima 1-7 (NES-SNES)
24. Willow (NES)
25. Wizards and Warriors 1-3 (NES)
26. Wizardry ~ 1-7 (NES)
27. Wizards and Warriors (Ironworks gaming) (PC)
28. Diablo 1-2 (PC)
29. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (PC)
30. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Tribunal (PC)
31. The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: Bloodmoon (PC)

32. EVO: Search for Eden (SNES)
33. Soul Blazer (1) (SNES)
34. Illusion of Gaia (2) (SNES)
35. Terranigma (3) (SNES)
36. Ogrebattle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
37. Tactics Ogre (PS1)
38. The Legend of Zelda 1 (NES)
39. The Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link (NES)
40: The Legend of Zelda (3?): A Link to the Past (SNES)
41. The Legend of Zelda (4?): Link's Awakening (GB)
42. Legend of Zelda: Outlands (fan-made) (PC)

43. Fallout 1 (PC)
44. Fallout 2 (PC)

45. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Restoration of Erathia (1) (PC)
46. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Armageddon's Blade (2) (PC)
47. Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Shadow of Death (3) (PC)
48. Heroes of Might and Magic 3.5: In the Wake of the Gods (4) (Fan-Made) (PC)
.
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
@HegemonKhan: I think I played almost all those on your list :)
I just can't remember all of them. I played Fallout series too but I lost my interest when the latest titles came out. Especially when everyone started worrying about graphics instead of the RPG essential elements and the game-play itself.
I wonder why you didn't play FFIX. It's my favorite among the old school RPG games ^^ Probably because it was the first FF title I played. But if there was a better FF I would've seen that considering that I played them all afterwards (except for I).

The Witcher II IS AMAZING. But something funny happened to me when i started playing. I always play games on the hardest difficulty available because the other difficulties are a waste of time to me... No challenge at all. So, I started a new game and chose "Insane" difficulty hahah then I played and progressed a lot (about 3 hours) then I had a phone call and I died because I had to answer it. When I tried to load my last save it said that you can't load a game in the "Insane" difficulty level. I laughed so hard ! If you die, you have to restart the game from the beginning.
It sounds interesting, I may try and complete the game that way during the summer.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
All Dragon Age fans!!
Machinima is producing a Dragon Age spinoff series, and is releasing them on YT...so far the are 5 episodes and they follow the adventures of a Grey Warden named Christoph...
Ep. 1....find the rest on YT
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
All Dragon Age fans!!
Machinima is producing a Dragon Age spinoff series, and is releasing them on YT...so far the are 5 episodes and they follow the adventures of a Grey Warden named Christoph...
Ep. 1....find the rest on YT
Yeah, I watched these as soon as they were released.
Origins was so much better that DA2. The story had a great depth and you had too many choices, therefore, you could complete the game in too many different ways ^^.
I'm currently playing the witcherII oO I can't stop playing! it's too damn good.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
FF9 was for the PS2 right?

I actually (stupidly) got the PS1 like 1-2 weeks before the PS2 came out, lol, I wasn't very informed on the gaming industry, lol. I was sooo not happy with myself, as the PS2 could play both its games and the PS1 games, whereas the PS1 could only play PS1 games, argh!

so, that's why I only played up to FF8, as the PS1 was the last console that I got. Now, if I get a new game (which is very rare), it's just a computer game. I'm too old, not techy enough, don't have the time, nor the money, to get these new consoles. I remember when the PS3 was just coming out... $600 (and uber long lines at least the day before if not the entire week before, lol)... you got to be joking... I am sooo NOT that rich....
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
FF9 was for the PS2 right?

I actually (stupidly) got the PS1 like 1-2 weeks before the PS2 came out, lol, I wasn't very informed on the gaming industry, lol. I was sooo not happy with myself, as the PS2 could play both its games and the PS1 games, whereas the PS1 could only play PS1 games, argh!

so, that's why I only played up to FF8, as the PS1 was the last console that I got. Now, if I get a new game (which is very rare), it's just a computer game. I'm too old, not techy enough, don't have the time, nor the money, to get these new consoles. I remember when the PS3 was just coming out... $600 (and uber long lines at least the day before if not the entire week before, lol)... you got to be joking... I am sooo NOT that rich....
If you work to get the money yourself, your buying decisions are always very different than when you get the money from your parents when you're young ^^.
FF9 is a PS1 game. FFX was the first FF game on PS2. you can find 9 on the web if you're interested ^^
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I just found original discs of FF9 in my computer draw....:oh
It's strange really, because I never bought this game....ever. Friend must have left it here a long time ago.

I'll probably watch that Dragon Age another time. Got a lot of stuff to watch.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Yeah, I watched these as soon as they were released.
Origins was so much better that DA2. The story had a great depth and you had too many choices, therefore, you could complete the game in too many different ways ^^.
I'm currently playing the witcherII oO I can't stop playing! it's too damn good.
You like depth, choices and different endings based on choices? Witcher 2 has 16 different endings...:faint

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

I just found original discs of FF9 in my computer draw....:oh
It's strange really, because I never bought this game....ever. Friend must have left it here a long time ago.

I'll probably watch that Dragon Age another time. Got a lot of stuff to watch.
They are not long...7 minutes, each episode
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
So I'm playing fallout new vegas..its okay, I like fo 3 more.
But meh, fo games are pretty much the same anyway
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So I'm playing fallout new vegas..its okay, I like fo 3 more.
But meh, fo games are pretty much the same anyway
Are you playing it on console or PC?

Because if your playing it on PC there are some amazing mods. Various texture upgrades. Sky and lighting upgrades. TONS of weapons and crafting upgrades. Not to mention the standard stuff. Player homes, Quests, etc...(This website hosts several thousand of them.)

Some of the stuff people have made is just unbelievable.

One mod is a player-home that has features like a huge auto sorting armory so with one click of a button it sorts any items you want into designated containers(food, drink, guns, ammo, armor). And it's set up so you can sort that stuff individually or all at once, even giving you the ability to tag things for the sorter to permanently ignore. Plus it has a personal teleporting device that allows you to instantly travel to your bunker, any major town, and a custom location that you can select and change at will(very much like the mark and recall spells in morrowind). And the whole complex consumes fuel and energy cells that you have to provide to keep it running.

And that's just one of many. Plus the tool-set is easy enough to figure out you can easily do some extra tweaking yourself just for the fun of it.:p
 
Last edited:

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Wow :blink
I never knew a place like that exist until now.
Thanks for that web Jammin, I'll hold off the modding until I finish the plot.
But seriously, this game crashes too much..
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
You know what I like most about The Witcher II?
It's those 2 words that went straight to my personal dictionary ! "plough" and "whoreson" those 2 words are hilarious. ^^
 

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
01. Breath of Fire 1 (SNES)
02. Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)
03. Breath of Fire 3 (PS1)
It seems like you haven't played Breath of Fire 4 yet. Well you ought to try it, there is a PC version of it. I have played all of the four BoF and the fourth is by far my favourite. If you liked to first three then there's no way you won't love the fourth.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
is the 4th BoF, Dragon's Quarter? (I've heard about this one, but I'm not sure if it's the 4th BoF or not)

(if I ever get my computer fixed or get a new one, I'll look into seeing if I can still get/buy the 4th BoF than for the PC, hehe. Though I don't have much time anymore for gaming, but I certainly love BoF, hehe)
 
Last edited:

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
No, it has little to nothing to do with Dragon's Quarter which can be considered as the fifth episode of the series.
BoF 4 was originally released on PS1 and later on PC. Here is one review so you can get an idea (don't forget to have a look at the screenshots) :http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163551p1.html
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
The witcher II is so short ... I can't believe it ended this fast on the hardest difficulty.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
The witcher II is so short ... I can't believe it ended this fast on the hardest difficulty.
But you were playing it non-stop weren't you?:XD...anyways...so I play it on normal, but is it true that you cannot load the game in the hardest difficulty after you die? That's some cool shiz...
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
But you were playing it non-stop weren't you?:XD...anyways...so I play it on normal, but is it true that you cannot load the game in the hardest difficulty after you die? That's some cool shiz...
Yes if you die you have to replay the whole thing... But the game is hard only in the first chapter... It gets easier with better equipments and higher lvl... And once you master using the skills and dodging... It becomes child play. I played the first chapter on Hard difficulty and then I began a new game on "Insane". The rest wasn't that hard (But sometimes I used cheap tricks to win fights :D! can't blame me ^^ it's like dying for real).

I didn't play it non-stop :S But it's really short for a veteran RPG player. But it was really awesome. Way better than DA2. I will definitely play the next Witcher game.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just heard they are releasing a new Rune Factory game for the PS3 sometime this year. It's called Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny.

Even though admitting this feel even more nerdy than usual.... i'm really excited about that.

All the Harvest Moon stuff + Monster killing; all on the ps3. What's not to love?:D

----------------------

By the way for those who are playing the Witcher 2, what is up with these patch sizes that i'm seeing through steam? What kind of patch is 10 gigs? Are they just completely rewriting the install files or something, because what kind of bugs take two 10 gig patches to fix? I don't see how anything could be THAT broken.
 
Top