Games The RPG thread

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
5 TOP RPG, hard to tell. I'm going to choose 5 RPG I played more than once from beginning to end.

- FF8: first FF I finished, probably the most important game of my "gaming" life. I'm not going to put 5 FF in my favourites but the truth is not very far from this.
- Skyrim: Most accomplished open-world RPG.
- Chrono Trigger: The Graal of the 16-bits era.
- Dragon Age Origins: Story + interractions between characters. Bioware & dialogues, BEST BY FAR.
- Suikoden 5: It might be a weird choice but it was a triumph of substance over form.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
A top 5 rpg? So original xD
1- Chrono Trigger
2- Legend of Dragoon '-'
3- FFX
4- Diablo 1
5- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Well I love ages too, but seasons come first xD
But my love for LoD is greater than the world '-'
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I like seeing that Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden got mentioned. Two phenomenal games.

For me the list goes.

  1. Final Fantasy VII
  2. Vanguard Bandits
  3. Suikoden II
  4. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  5. Dragon Age: Origins

I love Borderlands and Borderlands 2 but for some reason I feel like any game you do loot-grinding in is automatically "out" of my top 10.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
what an interesting idea. Here's my top 5:
1- Final Fantasy IX.
2- Dragon Age Origins.
3- .Hack trilogy.
4- The Last Remnant.
5- SKYRIM.

Emotional choices. There's no comment sense or anything in my top 5 but I went with the ones that made my heart race and made me spend countless hours in front of my screen.
 
Last edited:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Hmmmm... top 5
1.Final Fantasy series. (All the ones I played were awesome. Except 8 and X -_-
2.Chrono Trigger.
3. Legend of Dragoon
4. Dragon Age Origins
5. Senkein 3(probably spelt that wrong :XD)
 

g0dzax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
639
Reaction score
195
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Interesting choices.I ought to try some of the games you mentioned.


On another note,how do you guys feel about Cyberpunk 2077 ? Here is the game's page(it was just made lol),and here CD Projekt Red said a few things about the game and how it will be.If I were to predict how good Cyberpunk would be,then I need only take a look at The Witcher I&II,then imagine it combined with Deus Ex : Human Revolution.I expect the game to be soooo great :wtf.Just imagine,a cyberpunk game with the atmosphere & maturity specific to The Witcher...holy crap.Then again,it makes me wonder when we'll se The Witcher 3...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
what an interesting idea. Here's my top 5:
1- Final Fantasy IX.
2- Dragon Age Origins.
3- .Hack trilogy.
4- The Last Remnant.
5- SKYRIM.

Emotional choices. There's no comment sense or anything in my top 5 but I went with the ones that made my heart race and made me spend countless hours in front of my screen.
".Hack trilogy" Good choice. Forgotten gems of the ps2 era.

Interesting choices.I ought to try some of the games you mentioned.


On another note,how do you guys feel about Cyberpunk 2077 ? Here is the game's page(it was just made lol),and here CD Projekt Red said a few things about the game and how it will be.If I were to predict how good Cyberpunk would be,then I need only take a look at The Witcher I&II,then imagine it combined with Deus Ex : Human Revolution.I expect the game to be soooo great :wtf.Just imagine,a cyberpunk game with the atmosphere & maturity specific to The Witcher...holy crap.Then again,it makes me wonder when we'll se The Witcher 3...
It should be really good.

Though one thing I will be hoping for is a bit less definition of the main character than The Witcher II had. That was always a small issue with me and that game, as great as it was. The way the story branched allowed for a lot of decisions about what Geralt would do but "who he was" always felt like it was set in stone; if that makes sense. I'd love to see what CD Projekt Red could do with adding a bit more flexibility with the characters, like you had in the Old Republic games and Dragon Age: Origins.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Agreed with Jammin, Geralt have his own personality, you can not model him like Shepard (Mass effect series) for example (who can be a smart diplomat or a pragmatic bastard). But again, when we are talking about choices & dialogues, Bioware is far far above anyone.

Legend of dragoon had one big default: it came out at the same time as an FF.
It's also one of the few games I did more than once.

I forgot 3 gems in my list but I had the right to 5 only :): Valkyrie Profile 2 (I didn't get the change to play the first) & star ocean till the end of time & Grandia 2
 
Last edited:

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Legend of Dragoon made part of my childhood alongside with the gba zeldas, and lots of ps1 games ^^
But the rpg that I replayed more times was Chrono without a doubt. On the other hand I never played Chrono Cross lol

You guys think the Silent hill series can be a kind of RPG too? or its more to japanese horror game?
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Agreed with Jammin, Geralt have his own personality, you can not model him like Shepard (Mass effect series) for example (who can be a smart diplomat or a pragmatic bastard). But again, when we are talking about choices & dialogues, Bioware is far far above anyone.

Legend of dragoon had one big default: it came out at the same time as an FF.
It's also one of the few games I did more than once.

I forgot 3 gems in my list but I had the right to 5 only :): Valkyrie Profile 2 (I didn't get the change to play the first) & star ocean till the end of time & Grandia 2
Ah yes, Valkyrie Profile was awesome. The first one that is, though I played the PSP re-release. Haven't had the chance to play 2, but 1 was pretty awesome. For me, another fault to LoD was the magic system, it was pretty much useless once you had additions mastered.

Legend of Dragoon made part of my childhood alongside with the gba zeldas, and lots of ps1 games ^^
But the rpg that I replayed more times was Chrono without a doubt. On the other hand I never played Chrono Cross lol

You guys think the Silent hill series can be a kind of RPG too? or its more to japanese horror game?
Chrono Cross was a huge dissapointment to me... but I guess that's because I wanted it to be a continuation of Chrono Trigger.
I never played any Silent Hill, so I can't say.
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Top 5 :p
1. Final Fantasy VII series (inclusion of Crisis Core, so much awesome)
2. Persona 3
3. Star Ocean 2
4. Fallout 3
5. Dragon Age Origins.

Welp, I have a confession to make, I played Origins on the easiest mode possible hence it's so low :( and I'm too lazy and busy atm to play it again
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Welp, I have a confession to make, I played Origins on the easiest mode possible hence it's so low :( and I'm too lazy and busy atm to play it again
OMG, Origins on Nightmare difficulty is so much fun. I can't imagine playing it on lower settings o_O You missed so much fun.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
For me, another fault to LoD was the magic system, it was pretty much useless once you had additions mastered.

Chrono Cross was a huge dissapointment to me... but I guess that's because I wanted it to be a continuation of Chrono Trigger.
I never played any Silent Hill, so I can't say.
Hummm it depends. You mean the magic itens magic or the dragoon's magic?
Yeah when I heard about chrono cross it seemed almost like another game, so I lost the interest in it.
OMG you don't know what you are missing man. To me Silent hill stand as the best thriller\horror series of all the time, not only because of the scares but because of the deep plot.
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
A Top 5 of RPG eh?

1) Final fantasy
2) Suikoden
3) The legend of Zelda
4) Pokemon (LOL after ages it still sells)
5) Golden Sun

That's it I guess, even tough there are many other excellent games. :verily
 

g0dzax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
639
Reaction score
195
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
TheBoss said:
OMG you don't know what you are missing man. To me Silent hill stand as the best thriller\horror series of all the time, not only because of the scares but because of the deep plot.
Yeah,I know why you'd think Silent Hill is the best horror series of all the time,and especially the plot is it's main point and it all revolves around the plot,but I wouldn't consider Silent Hill an RPG,I'd rather think of it as a horror-adventure game.I played them too,and often I found myself trying to understand the story 'cause it's really confusing at times.

On a side-note,if you enjoyed Silent Hill,you ought to try the Penumbra series or Amnesia The Dark Descent and Call Of Cthulhu : Dark Corners Of The Earth.Call Of Cthulhu is,for me,the best horror out there,on the hardest difficulty you lack everything in there,ammo is so scarce you'd think twice before firing a gun,and the thing you'll lack the most is mental sanity.Definetely,definetely a must-play game.I guarantee you'll love it :verily.

Zeltrax said:
Welp, I have a confession to make, I played Origins on the easiest mode possible hence it's so low and I'm too lazy and busy atm to play it again
I'd recommend you always try to play RPG at their hardest difficulty,many of them are much more entertaining that way.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah,I know why you'd think Silent Hill is the best horror series of all the time,and especially the plot is it's main point and it all revolves around the plot,but I wouldn't consider Silent Hill an RPG,I'd rather think of it as a horror-adventure game.I played them too,and often I found myself trying to understand the story 'cause it's really confusing at times.

On a side-note,if you enjoyed Silent Hill,you ought to try the Penumbra series or Amnesia The Dark Descent and Call Of Cthulhu : Dark Corners Of The Earth.Call Of Cthulhu is,for me,the best horror out there,on the hardest difficulty you lack everything in there,ammo is so scarce you'd think twice before firing a gun,and the thing you'll lack the most is mental sanity.Definetely,definetely a must-play game.I guarantee you'll love it :verily.
Amnesia is fucking cool, and I'll look for the Call Of Cthulhu to see how it is xD
But yeah I don't think it fits as rpg too, only wanted to take that off my chest.
If you found Silent hill's plot hard to understand try Sanitarium lol This game will make you schizophrenic D:

I never played FF7, am I missing something? :derp
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Hummm it depends. You mean the magic itens magic or the dragoon's magic?
Yeah when I heard about chrono cross it seemed almost like another game, so I lost the interest in it.
OMG you don't know what you are missing man. To me Silent hill stand as the best thriller\horror series of all the time, not only because of the scares but because of the deep plot.
The Dragoon Magic...it was pointless once you had the additions. I never had trouble with any boss in that game... except the secret boss. I don't really like horror games....though Dead Space is an exception, I rather RPG or tactical games. Resident Evil for example, I've only liked 4, 5 was really frustrating because of the AI partnership. Turn based RPG is more my style.
 

g0dzax

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
639
Reaction score
195
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
TheBoss said:
Amnesia is fucking cool, and I'll look for the Call Of Cthulhu to see how it is xD
But yeah I don't think it fits as rpg too, only wanted to take that off my chest.
If you found Silent hill's plot hard to understand try Sanitarium lol This game will make you schizophrenic D:

I never played FF7, am I missing something?
I did hear about Sanitarium,but never played it.It seems to be a really great,so I think I'll try to make some time to play,I haven't played a good horror game in some time,plus I enjoy getting scared.[that sounded really weird...lol]

I remember trying to play an FF game 2 or 3 years ago and I was like :arf I can't play this kind of game.Since then I've tried avoiding the FF series,dunno why though.(I just know I had a bad time playing that game)so I can't say anything about the series...


kakashi919 said:
I don't really like horror games....though Dead Space is an exception, I rather RPG or tactical games. Resident Evil for example, I've only liked 4, 5 was really frustrating because of the AI partnership. Turn based RPG is more my style.
Dead Space is really good,I've never liked Resident Evil though -just zombie-slaughtering...Also,I've lost my apetite for turn-based RPG's,besides the old-school ones I try to avoid turn-based(and except Septerra Core - Legacy Of The Creator ,I played that game solely for the plot,didn't take anything else into consideration).
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,525
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I never played FF7, am I missing something? :derp


Play it. Seriously. Final Fantasy 7 was Squares first real foray into graphically sexy RPG's, and by far the best IMO. Story, Art Direction, Music, Combat system, even Humor; it had it all. To play it and then play Fanal Fantasy XIII is to know how low the Final Fantasy Series has fallen in recent years. And to see the recent games for what they are...polished turds.

------------------------------

Bit a different subject but....

"What currently releasing RPG's series does everybody look forward to most."​

Being an RPG fan can be tough sometimes. Konami's bewildering refusal to make another real Suikoden game is like a punch to my man-berries. Capcom's(I meant "Sega's") refusal to release an English version of Valkyrie Chronicles 3 is like a knee to my kidney. Sitting down to play the last Final Fantasy game was like having Square-Enix throw sand in my eyes; and making 2 sequels was like kicking me in each shin afterwards. The list goes on and on....

So what series, more than any other, keeps you holding on?




Edit: riki was right. Sega is the one responsible for Valkyrie Chronicles 3
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^I thought it was Sega who developed Valkyria Chronicles 3. ^^;

To answer your question, it's not a part of a series but the game I wanted the most is Grand Knights History. It was supposed to be published over here, but unfortunately, VanillaWare has to focus on saving its other game, Dragon's Crown, so they didn't provide any game development resources to XSeed. The thing that sucks is that XSeed has completed the translation too. ;_;
 
Top