Games The RPG thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I really want to play a new RPG, but I'm not "feeling" it from the Witcher 3.
That's a shame. I'm totally into it now. I have all kinds of memorial day family stuff to do but the whole time I'm just going to be thinking how much I want to be home playing Witcher 3.

I love the combat a lot more than all the previous Witcher games. So much that I restarted my game to play on the hardest difficulty. The reason it's grown on me so much is that it's tough but fair. The harder the combat encounter the more fun it is. You can't win by just mashing light attack. There is no one thing you do that allows you to beat the stuff trying to kill you really. Once you get the hang of using absolutely everything available(Swords, Potions, Grenades, Crossbow Bolts, Signs) combat turns into this very deep and fluid thing that is so satisfying.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I also trying out turning off the mini-map and quest log. So instead of just staring the minimap, like Geralt was walking around staring a google maps, I'm finding my way around by my surroundings. Which has added a huge chunk of immersion. It does mean I get lost more often but since the Witcher looks so damn pretty I'm 100% ok with that.
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I'm playing the Witcher 3 and it's the best thing I've played for a VERY LONG TIME.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I'm on the witcher 3 as well. I'm only level 4, just killed that griffon.

I'm not impressed graphically (bought it on ps4). But after a fully moded version of Skyrim on PC, I doubt I will be impressed by anything for a few years.
Animation, presentation, acting, all seems to be at the top of the range. It's an enchanting universe to travel. But again, I still prefer Skyrim or dragon age.
Gameplay, I never have been a big fan of the witcher serie at this level. It's a littile too heavy but at least I don't feel the "weight" of the camera like in the witcher 2.

All in all, a very solid game but I still like Skyrim and dragon age better so far.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
No way! the witcher combat system is way more interesting! I can't get enough of this damn game I player 6 hours straight this evening... Also, you should've gotten the game on PC... consoles are too weak for the new stuff. I'm level 7 now and I have fought some big monsters (I thing a lvl14 wyrm).
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Also, you should've gotten the game on PC... consoles are too weak for the new stuff. I'm level 7 now and I have fought some big monsters (I thing a lvl14 wyrm).
Yeahh, I'm so far very disappointed by the new generation of consoles. No big exclusivities and graphisms are significantly below what an average PC can do. My laziness is mostly the reason why I buy games on ps4. I don't like spending 1-2h to tweak the settings on PC to get the best graphic quality with an acceptable framerate. Plus, with my ps4, I'm directly playing on a 60 inches screen from my sofa and it's a big plus.

Anyway, back to the witcher. I entered the second area of the game and it's freaking huge. I don't know how many hours I will need to cover that area. It's impressive.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Yeahh, I'm so far very disappointed by the new generation of consoles. No big exclusivities and graphisms are significantly below what an average PC can do. My laziness is mostly the reason why I buy games on ps4. I don't like spending 1-2h to tweak the settings on PC to get the best graphic quality with an acceptable framerate. Plus, with my ps4, I'm directly playing on a 60 inches screen from my sofa and it's a big plus.

Anyway, back to the witcher. I entered the second area of the game and it's freaking huge. I don't know how many hours I will need to cover that area. It's impressive.
I'm still in there ... I won't leave until I remove every question mark from the map and do every side quest too lol. I can't help it it's in my blood.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Witcher 3 is indeed amazing...
At first I was a bit disappointed in the graphics...I knew it wouldn't be 2013 trailer level, but still...the foliage was meh...and I couldn't enjoy the rest of the game because of it :D

But then I got into a quest with Keira Metz...and during that the combat clicked in for my brain after the boss battle and I was starting to get excited...plus the lore and atmosphere behind that quest was pretty amazing...

And after that I started the main quest for real and I finished the Baron storyline...and then the story clicked and I was blown away...if such stories are incoming so early in the game, then I can't wait for what's next...it's fuckin amazing :D
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
And here I've been playing Gwent all night instead of finishing quests...
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
And here I've been playing Gwent all night instead of finishing quests...
HAHAHAH I also spent hours on that game. It's the best thing since triple triads.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
This is amazing...showcases several languages in the game
 
Last edited by a moderator:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
HAHAHAH I also spent hours on that game. It's the best thing since triple triads.
Hahaha, A friend just told me the exact same sentence this week-end. And I agreed.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Finally I finished the Witcher 3.. got a good ending fortunately.

So I suppose this is going to be the end of Witcher franchise with Geralt as a protagonist? I am not sure how the next story would unroll from the ending that I got: he's happy with Triss, and Ciri travels to become a Witcher. The next story would be more confusing if Ciri becomes an Empress, considering that I wonder if Geralt would leave his peaceful life (assuming you romance either Triss or Yennefer) once again. I kill Radovid and Djikstra because both of them are dicks, so I decided to let that prick Emhyr won instead.

When it comes to technical stuff.. I don't like how difficult it is for players in early game to gain EXP from side quests; I remember I had to grind for Place of Power and farming Wraiths before I reached level 7 in order to finish Keira Metz's questline. Once you leave Velen though, EXP becomes relatively easier to get; I remember getting to level 30 was a breeze once I arrived in Novigrad. The final battles were somewhat underwhelming. In my experience, the only real difficulties that I had were facing Crones as Ciri and Imlerith. Eredin was surprisingly easier than I predicted.

Oh.. and I am not really a fan of playing as Ciri. She's a cool character and all, but it's pretty underwhelming to play as her when you couldn't heal or using signs.. for whatever reasons.

Verdict: I really like The Witcher 3 and along with Bloodborne, those are probably going to be on my Favorite Games of the Year list. I hate to make this comparison, but in my opinion Witcher 3 is substantially better than DA : I, both from gameplay aspect (more nuanced sidequests) and narrative (no god-complex villain).

Perhaps one day I'd replay it again to collect all the Gwent cards that I missed or exploring each regions more thoroughly, but for now, I'm done with it. Time to move on to another game.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
So many RPG news :faint

Platinum Games is going to make a sequel to Nier

Xenoblade Chronicles X will be coming to NA on December 4th

Here is the character trailer for the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game:

Fire Emblem if will be heading to North America under the new title, Fire Emblem Fates (The Japanese title is better imo)

Star Ocean 5 will be heading to NA on the PS4

Square Enix announced that they're making a new console RPG game codenamed "Project Setsuna", which is being created by a new studio.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Star Ocean looked incredible.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Project X Zone 2 trailer:

Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei's story details has been revealed

Nintendo implied that Fire Emblem Fates will be released in two versions just like in Japan. Hopefully, they will release the special edition here...

Despite its silly theme, Persona 4: Dancing All Night's story will have dark undertones.

Persona 5 trailer (it's the same trailer from before but translated):

---------- Post added June 18, 2015 at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was June 17, 2015 at 09:53 AM ----------

Shin Megami x Fire Emblem Gameplay and Exploration trailer:
More info on the characters and Mirages
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Is it safe to assume that everyone has seen this already?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Witcher 3 is amazing. I'm still impress by how huge it is. I spend a lot of money resetting my skills. I think it's already my fifth time. Now, i'm doing build heavy attack - alchemy - quen - echidna + archgriffin potion. It's broken quite simply. My health is nearly doubled, my life regen at each attack is insane and my attacks are stronger as well. I do quests 15 levels above mine (I'm level 22)
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Atlus and Vanillaware are going to make an Odin Sphere HD remake. :zomg


They also are working on another project, which will be revealed in September.


---------- Post added July 24, 2015 at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was July 20, 2015 at 05:18 PM ----------

Atlus USA confirmed that it's coming to NA in 2016

---------- Post added August 05, 2015 at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was July 24, 2015 at 06:32 PM ----------

Nintendo of Europe announced that Xenoblade Chronicles X will have a Limited and Premium Editions

---------- Post added August 10, 2015 at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was August 05, 2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

Some Odin Sphere screenshots are up, and they reveal new enemies and gameplay.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Looks like this will be Vanillaware's new game. It will be announced at TGS.

---------- Post added September 15, 2015 at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was September 10, 2015 at 09:32 PM ----------

New Vanillaware game is titled 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, which is available for the PS4 and Vita.


---------- Post added September 17, 2015 at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was September 15, 2015 at 07:23 PM ----------

New Persona 5 details (VA info) and trailer:


Yay, Land of No Night is coming to the West. :blai

God Eater: Resurrection (remake of the first game) Trailer:


---------- Post added September 18, 2015 at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was September 17, 2015 at 05:06 PM ----------



Some info on the other Persona 5 characters, Anne and Ryuji
 
Last edited by a moderator:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States

Persona 5 anime special is announced.


---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

New details on Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna's gameplay and storyline:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top