The Ryoma_Echizen Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Ryoma_Echizen Thread

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I don't know if I'll be doing chaps on a regular basis (I've only done 4 so far), but if people want to ask me questions they can. Any comments or questions I'll be appreciative of and be happy to respond to. But for those who may not here, here's the list of stuff I've translated.

Naruto Manga: 259, 276, 294, 296
Pokemon Advanced Generation Anime: 131
Duel Masters Card Files: Sets 10-16 and most promos (16 is 90% complete)
Yugioh GX Anime: Episode 4 (as of yet unreleased, but the translation is complete)

I started with translating cards and worked up to anime/manga only recently. My favorite anime/manga should be obvious. Other than that Naruto, Bleach, and Eyeshield hit the spot. My goal with translation is to provide a good solid first translation. I only translate when I get to translate before the quality guys (Nihongaeri, Iwanin, etc) since my quality isn't any better so I do what I can swiftly so people can get a decent translation to go with their raw. If I can achieve similar timing with my aquistion of the raw I'll keep translating it. If 5 people translate it before I get the raw I won't translate. Simple as that. Hopefully I'll get to improve my work with future chaps. I hope people at least look at my work and get something out of it.

Any other questions or comments don't hesitate to ask.

-Ryoma Echizen

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thanks for wanting to help out Ryoma, glad to have you here :)

Where are you from?

How did you learn Japanese?

Is there any other manga you might possibly be interested in reading?

I think you would improve pretty rapidly if you were able to compare your translations on a weekly basis with some of our usual translators for Naruto, but it's your call :thumbs

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
1. I'm a senior at Earlham College (located in Richmond, Indiana) but I'm from Cincinnati.

2. Learned at college, and by dissecting manga and cards piece by piece. After you watch anime 1000 times the process you learn things.

3. As for other manga I definitely keep a broad range of ideas open. For instance I own a volume of Detective Conan (which is really hard, lol) and Gash Bell. So I also like some Shonen Sunday comics. Oh and GTO is good. There's a lot of manga I'm forgetting probably though, I do that a lot. Oh right, Addicted to Curry and Yakitate Japan. I recently acquired raws of some volumes of those and they've been quite enjoyable. I haven't really "discovered" any new interesting manga though (like Iwanin and his manga about sex) but I like a bunch of types. Oh right, 20th Century Boys is the f'n shiznit. I almost forgot since I download them in volumes and I have to wait a few months for the next volume to release... how silly of me.

4. Yup I regularly read the translations here. But I learn best by translating myself and seeing what works and what doesn't. I don't really have any complaints about my Japanese skillz. I think its pretty good considering my Shikamaru-esque laziness with actually studying the language. All I really can do now is learn by doing and slowly accumulating experience. My insistence on doing initial translation doesn't come from me believing my translations are significantly worse than those of say Nihongaeri or NJT but merely that they don't really add significantly more than they do. But perhaps there will come a point when I have a style that can be as unique as Iwanin's. Regardless, I'll see what I can do from here on out.

これからよろしくね。

-Ryoma Echizen

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hehe, you've got the most laidback approach I've seen from a translator here. It's pretty cool, well, if it works. Have fun with it then :thumbs

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Ryoma_Echizen said:
4. Yup I regularly read the translations here. But I learn best by translating myself and seeing what works and what doesn't. I don't really have any complaints about my Japanese skillz. I think its pretty good considering my Shikamaru-esque laziness with actually studying the language. All I really can do now is learn by doing and slowly accumulating experience. My insistence on doing initial translation doesn't come from me believing my translations are significantly worse than those of say Nihongaeri or NJT but merely that they don't really add significantly more than they do. But perhaps there will come a point when I have a style that can be as unique as Iwanin's. Regardless, I'll see what I can do from here on out.

これからよろしくね。

-Ryoma Echizen
おっす!
Sorry I didn't take the time to welcome you to the site :(. You really do a nice quick translation, better than most people I've seen that throw out translations as fast as you. So applaud yourself on that ;).

If nothing else I enjoy your translations, and like having them out in the bunch :). So--- if you are feeling lazy feel free to translate, even if there are lots of chapters out :p.

I too don't translate when there are enough translations out and if I really couldn't do any more justice than what has already been done.

Anyways, what are some of your favorite moments in manga? What series have you read? and do you plan on translating anything else in the future?

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't worry about it NJT. Hmmm, favorite moments in manga. I happen to like the scene with Echizen and the elder Sasaki in Vol. 5 of Prince of Tennis a lot. I also like any scene with Echizen Nanjiroh since he's a lazy slacker but is so uber elite. Is it any wonder that Shikamaru I consider as the coolest Naruto character. So Shikamaru's moment in the Chuunin Exam stands out, as does his brilliant series of moves to capture those weird chakra beasts. I don't really have many manga "moments" as I do simply enjoying great characters. Like GTO's Onizuka, or the main character of Addicted to Curry who's practically an exact clone. 20th Century Boys have plenty of good characters even though none is particularly iconic. Off the top of my head, the (bad-ass) priest is pretty cool (the one that met the Pope), as well as "God", the homeless guy with 60 millon.

I've listed plenty of series I like and theres many I probably haven't named. As for translations in the future, I'll see what happens. I like translating Naruto because its cool and popular. I don't see any other series I'll be translating in the future, save Yugioh GX since I have signed on for the group working on that series. If someone wants my assistance with a series I'll be happy to give it a look. I open to considering new animes or mangas to work on. If someone wants me to attempt to clarify something in a translation as well I can try to do that. If its a small 1 line thing I likely won't hesitate to help that person out. Hopefully you'll see my translations more often NJT. What you said means a lot. 感動だぜ。

Anyone else with questions and/or requests regarding translations don't hestitate to ask.

-Ryoma Echizen

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
No, it's not any wonder that you think Shikamaru is the coolest character in Naruto. Kakashi may be my absolute favorite but Shikamaru is up there too. :D

Well, if you do ever find yourself on a new manga project, hopefully you will continue to post your translations here for whatever manga you may be translating. :) There are a *lot* out there that could use it.

And I WAS wondering if you were a Prince of Tennis fan due to your name! Why not try your hand at translating that?

( Edit - See: Prince of Tennis Request Thread )

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason why I don't translate Prince of Tennis is there's already a group doing that (albeit slowly) but maybe sometime if a chapter is particularly cool I might do it. I'm actually more inclined to do an Eyeshield translation, just because no one (to my knowledge) is translating the latest chapters, and Hiruma says "Fuckin" a lot. But of course I will keep these things in mind.

The main thing I have to ask is do people here read these series. If they want a translation and they ask, I might do it, but I haven't heard of these boards being heavy fans of these mangas.

-Ryoma Echizen

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, both PoT and ES21 both have pretty good followings, at least from my experiences on here and also at NF.

ES21 has a slow Edited Manga group working on it too, http://forums.fucking-manga.net/ ( I guess they must like Hiruma saying that word all the time too ).

What we are trying to do here is provide more translations for the fans to be able to enjoy the manga more immediately, and also to determine the accuracy of the translations already done. And who knows, the Edited Manga groups on both PoT and ES21 might drop these projects at some point - just as the one on Black Cat did right before the last two volumes. Just do whatever interests you and the fans will definitely appreciate it.

P.S. What is the Edited Manga group working on PoT?

devo

Reaction score
[F-M] is actually currently looking for a translator from what I've gathered. It'd be great if you could help them out, I've been dying to read more chapters of Eyeshield.

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fruity Explosive Translation is the group that does Prince of Tennis.

Eyeshield 21's group isn't slow at all, its just that they started later and are doing chaps from the beginning. Meanwhile FET has done all the chaps (or at least the majority) of the chaps from the beginning to now.

FET works slowly on the latest chapters while Fuckin' Manga doesn't do them at all, instead opting to work from the beginning. Thus its in more of my interest to do Eyeshield 21. My main gripe about doing Eyeshield 21 is that the Raw isn't available on Mangahelpers, the same for Prince of Tennis. The raws for those mangas aren't available here so it feels strange to give a translation here for mangas that can't be read here. If a raw was made available for these series I probably wouldn't mind translating them.

Fuckin' Manga doesn't translate the latest chapters which I am most interested in translating. That's the main deal regarding them. I mean to me I'd rather translate things that are new and interesting rather than things I've read awhile ago. Signing up for a group like that, I'd feel too much of an obligation to do chapters at lightning speed and I'd stress myself out, and I'm more of a "my pace" kind of guy.

-Ryoma Echizen

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
At least xallisto has made a link to 1 chapter of ES21... in this thread. And perhaps he will find more the following weeks? So there are some raw for it on this site ;)

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Arrr... do I sight a treasure of manga links! Ahoy! I knew sitting on me bum would garner me some nice bounty one of these days!

I suppose now I'm obligated to translate Prince of Tennis now that there is a place with Raws. Whenever that should come... I have no idea! I am far too busy avoiding work to have any idea when to start on this new venture. But a good guess would be for the next chapter that releases provided Echizen pwns and that there isn't any complicated dialects, or I get a deadly procrastination virus.

Oh, and what does "Ki" mean anyway. I have 5 Ki points, and Khaludh has 19, what does this mean?

-Ryoma Echizen

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
After you have made fifty posts on this site, you have the ability to either Ossu! or WTF?! someone ( buttons will appear under a persons Ki quota ), and their KI goes up or down a point respectively. It's a way to show the person you like what he/she is doing. ( though i have no idea why i suddenly have +10 in a few days ;) ) And i believe you can give/take 1 Ki per day you have been registered here, but i don't know that for sure...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
If it's RAWs you need, we'll do our best to supply them. Xallisto is certainly doing a good job so I'll ask him about it sometimes. I know a few other RAW hunters as well.

Anyway, I'll talk to people about it and we'll see if we can't get more RAWs for other chapters. Thanks for being interested.

As for the ki, it's a reputation system that's been here since the inception of MH but there's a chance we may change the system eventually. It's just there for kicks, though having 5 ki already, you must have a couple of fans here.

xallisto

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Eyeshield 21 and Pot Shouldant be a problem, just tell me which ones you want.

sao

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
ooo eyeshield :P Well if you dont mind a crappy text editor i would love to help in eyeshield :D The wait for new chapters have been killing me haha... Thanks anyway if you're going to do it :D

Ryoma_Echizen

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Xallisto, the main thing is for you to have the raws available once I translate the chapters. I hate making empty guarantees but if I should have time on Wed. (since I don't have class )... I should be able to translate the latest PoT/Eyeshield then. (PoT303/Eyeshield175) This is a goal for myself but it is not a guarantee. Xallisto if you could have these available for Wednesday that'd be killer. Hopefully I can then do PoT304/Eyeshield176 on Friday as they release as well. That's the current plan... assuming I can finish my other work... how troublesome.

-Ryoma Echizen

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Guarantees aren't necessary here, really.

I'd recommend communicating through PMs on this matter. Anyway hope it all works out.