Shounen Time Paradox Ghostwriter by Kenji Ichima & Tsunehiro Date

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
2nd chapter was good, it answered all the questions I had regarding ch.1 and gave Teppei massive character points with his guilt and personal regret but determination to see his fault through. Ending was surprising, didn't expected those two to meet so early. Though both are probably supposed to be a Protag duo so far we only had Teppei's POV for two chapters with Itsuki being there for the end page only, so we basically know next to nothing about her, expect her age, her gender and that she is a manga genius who got her idea stolen due a timemachine in Teppei's kitchen. It will be interesting to see how Teppei handles that meeting and what kind of relationship will grow out of that.
 

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,149
Reaction score
12,486
Age
31
Gender
Female
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
So Sasaki has justified the plagiarism in his mind. At least he has the decency to feel guilt. This confrontation should be good. At the very least it will be funny to see him try to explain that his microwave is a time machine and he gets advanced WSJ issues :lmao
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil

aoiaoi600

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Messages
43
Reaction score
40
Country
Australia
It will be interesting to see where the series goes from here, now that the whole actual mangaka thing has been kinda wrapped up unexpectedly quickly. Odds are his microwave will break and then he'll actually have to come up with stuff sooner rather than later
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
RAW 04.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Well, having a fight with the manga involving plagiarism, it seems, is being very brutally rejected by the Japanese.

And that is what bothers me. Do the Japanese accept so many things that are politically incorrect, do they have manga that addresses much worse topics, and will they reject a work that only speaks of plagiarism?
As far as I read, the manga hasn't committed any kind of plagiarism, it's just talking about and the Japanese are breaking the stick for nothing.

Everything is very critical of the protagonist or the narrative, but critical for such a stupid reason. And look, it was a story with a lot of potential. I don't know if there is a manga that has survived a long time being brutally rejected by the Japanese.
 

ShiranuiShiranai

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2017
Messages
165
Reaction score
371
Age
32
Country
Philippines
I'm hooked with this series because it actually questions my moral compass when it comes to plagiarism.
I'm really rooting for the protagonist to be a successful mangaka but his way is incorrect and kinda immoral.
He's been trying to redo the first chapter over and over trying to improve everything he saw from the issue 10 years in the future.
Sadly, no amount of hard work is going to surpass the value of something that is stolen.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Teppei is using it as an opportunity to level up himself, notice the art comments Genki and the others gave him, they praised him. If anything, I think he will continue to do the series the best he can and on the side come up with his own story.

Also, interestingly, no other jump issues came during the one or two weeks he took to draw this incomplete version of chapter 1?
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
So far it's pretty good. This looks like it could be the next big thing.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Also, interestingly, no other jump issues came during the one or two weeks he took to draw this incomplete version of chapter 1?
I think they are still coming every week. They're just not focussing on it right now because he's still busy with the first chapter.
 

aoiaoi600

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 23, 2019
Messages
43
Reaction score
40
Country
Australia
Man its interesting, because normally what I would've advised would've been to take it and make it his own to the point where it no longer becomes plagiarised, but he seems to think that he has to make it to the standard of the original, even if that makes it more of a plagiarism....
From a plot perspective though I wonder where it's going to go and what the conflict will be, given that old mate the actual mangaka seems to not be suspicious.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Even Teppei is not a good character, his surroundings can be good, I didn't see any negative criticism about Aino for example.

Re: zero and Black clover have relatively unbearable protagonists and yet people like it.
I think you can even compare the protagonist of time paradox and that of re: zero good.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
(Continuation from https://mangahelpers.com/forum/thre...on-and-toc-talk.3015155/page-978#post-5286895)

TheEnhancedExe wrote:
I mean, personally, I don't even dislike the MC though I don't really like him either. Sure, he is plagiarizing, which is a crime. But the circumstances that led to him plagiarizing the first chapter and making the one shot aren't really his fault. He was sleep deprived and thought he was dreaming so he made the one shot.

Then he realized it was wrong and tried to somehow get the manga to not be serialized. His editor convinced him though which led to him making the mistake of choosing to continue drawing the manga because the editor put too much pressure onto him. I don't know if you experienced situations like this, but there are situations where you feel pressured to do something even though you know it is wrong.

Plus legally speaking, him plagiarizing White Knight isn't even illegal, because technically White Knight doesn't actually exist at that point. Of course it's morally wrong and plagiarizing something that exists is illegal, which of course makes what he does wrong nonetheless. But to me it seems like a hole he fell in and the more he tries to get out, the deeper the hole gets. Although it's not that apparent yet, this seems to be the type of story where the MC just digs himself deeper and deeper into that hole because he has to deal with the consequences of his wrong actions.

Sure, you might not stand him as a character, but there's also people who can't stand Light as a character. This is your opinion and it's completely fine, but it doesn't apply to everyone. Teppei isn't the type of main character that's necessarily supposed to be relatable, just like Light. The appeal is to see him sink deeper and deeper into that hole and to see how he either makes the conflict even worse or solves it in the end. To me, it seems that it could very well end up becoming a tragedy similar to Death Note. Tragedies in itself is something you don't see very often in manga, especially in Shounen Jump.
I actually don't dislike the MC either. (But there are people who really dislike him and that's a valid reason to not like the series, IMO.)

But that's exactly why I am annoyed at his actions: he is making the situation worse for himself and he shouldn't. Sure, I understand how he feels, but I can also see that things aren't going to end well if he continues down this path and I don't want this bright-eyed dreamer to become a bad guy. So the more he makes excuses to avoid facing the truth, the more I'm gonna yell at him to man up and do the right thing already. The idea of this becoming a dark tragedy doesn't appeal to me at all.

Death Note was different. Light pretty much went off the rails in the first chapter, and after that it became a competition between two masterminds. TPGW so far feels more like a psychological drama, which really isn't the same thing.

As for the conflict, as you mentioned TPGW has a different kind of conflict to Death Note and the main conflict is so far just in Teppei's head. We might have no idea how long it takes for other characters to become aware of the conflict, but we know that they will at some point. Plus, we have seen in chapter 4 that Teppei's inner conflict is also affecting other characters. He wants to make the art as close as possible to the original, which leads to him drawing the chapter all over again, despite his assistants telling him it's already great the way it is.

This has the potential to create other conflicts and tensions between Teppei and his assistants besides the main conflict. These would all be connected to the main conflict, because him trying to copy White Knight as close as possible would create those smaller conflicts. So just because the assistants aren't directly aware of what causes him to remake the chapter all over again, it could potentially create tensions.

This is just an example of how things could go and there's likely many other different ways that I can't think of right now. There's so much potential for conflicts outside of Teppei's head. And those new conflicts would still probably be indirectly caused by Teppei plagiarizing White Knight.
Sure, I guess. But Poor Communication Kills is one of my least favourite tropes of all time, so I'd much prefer to see a story where people find out what he did and then struggle with how to react, rather than him keeping the secret and everyone else just dancing around the truth for the next 50 chapters.

Also, from my experience, people here in the west seem to be way more likely to dislike or straight up hate a fictional character for doing criminal or morally wrong activities than people in Japan. I might be wrong, but it feels like Japanese people don't care as much about it. For example how often you see underage characters either being shipped or just being in "weird" situations with adults of the opposite sex, which would be inappropriate in the west. There are also quite a few other manga apart from Death Note that have MC's that do morally and ethnically wrong things and are widely praised, despite the MC not being likeable. The highest acclaimed one I can think of right now is Oyasumi Punpun.
That's just a matter of different sensitivities. The USA is incredibly prudish when it comes to sex, but they love films about criminals and most of their videogames consist of the 'good guy' mowing down scores of people without batting an eye.

From what I heard, people in Japan actually have more of a problem with plagiarism than Western readers. (Not sure how representative this is.)

So overall, I don't really think it's necessary for him to be a well liked character, because the story is conflict driven. As long as there are other likeable characters that can make up for him and the main conflict is there, people will keep reading. From what I've seen, there's still a lot of readers that are hooked by the premise, me included, so I doubt the series will lack readers that find the series interesting. Especially because I think Japanese readers on average won't hate as much on the MC for his actions as western readers.
That's the problem though, isn't it? There aren't many other important characters yet (only the girl, in fact, and we still hardly know anything about her), and the 'conflict' is limited to one guy struggling with his conscience. So I hope that either the conflict will progress rapidly (which means he can't keep going back and forth like this for more than a few chapters), or that we are getting more subplots to supplement the main story.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
(Continuation from https://mangahelpers.com/forum/thre...on-and-toc-talk.3015155/page-978#post-5286895)

TheEnhancedExe wrote:


I actually don't dislike the MC either. (But there are people who really dislike him and that's a valid reason to not like the series, IMO.)

But that's exactly why I am annoyed at his actions: he is making the situation worse for himself and he shouldn't. Sure, I understand how he feels, but I can also see that things aren't going to end well if he continues down this path and I don't want this bright-eyed dreamer to become a bad guy. So the more he makes excuses to avoid facing the truth, the more I'm gonna yell at him to man up and do the right thing already. The idea of this becoming a dark tragedy doesn't appeal to me at all.

Death Note was different. Light pretty much went off the rails in the first chapter, and after that it became a competition between two masterminds. TPGW so far feels more like a psychological drama, which really isn't the same thing.



Sure, I guess. But Poor Communication Kills is one of my least favourite tropes of all time, so I'd much prefer to see a story where people find out what he did and then struggle with how to react, rather than him keeping the secret and everyone else just dancing around the truth for the next 50 chapters.


That's just a matter of different sensitivities. The USA is incredibly prudish when it comes to sex, but they love films about criminals and most of their videogames consist of the 'good guy' mowing down scores of people without batting an eye.

From what I heard, people in Japan actually have more of a problem with plagiarism than Western readers. (Not sure how representative this is.)



That's the problem though, isn't it? There aren't many other important characters yet (only the girl, in fact, and we still hardly know anything about her), and the 'conflict' is limited to one guy struggling with his conscience. So I hope that either the conflict will progress rapidly (which means he can't keep going back and forth like this for more than a few chapters), or that we are getting more subplots to supplement the main story.
All this that you are doing to prove your point is very forced for a manga of only 4 chapters.
All that you're asking for from this story is developed after about 10 chapters (even if it is being well accepted or not).
It is basically what kishimoto did on samurai 8 and it didn't work, he was stuffed with information and revelations that had nothing relevant afterwards.
All that you are charging for TPGW has to be shown calmly so people can absorb it better.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The problem is to create an unnecessary controversy and still pass the hand on those who are defending the hate of the Japanese for such a childishness.
The manga has other themes and well-built characters, not just plagiarism.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
All this that you are doing to prove your point is very forced for a manga of only 4 chapters.
All that you're asking for from this story is developed after about 10 chapters (even if it is being well accepted or not).
It is basically what kishimoto did on samurai 8 and it didn't work, he was stuffed with information and revelations that had nothing relevant afterwards.
All that you are charging for TPGW has to be shown calmly so people can absorb it better.
Dude. I keep telling you. I don't have to wait for the end of the story to give my opinion on what is happening now.

I never said the entire series was bad, did I? All I'm doing is critisizing the decisions the MC is currently taking. I'm not complaining that he hasn't told everyone yet - I understand a confrontation like that takes time. But I am complaining that he is making excuses and planning NOT to tell the girl, because that's something he is doing right now and having more chapters isn't going to change it. Why do you have such a problem with that? Don't you want people to show interest and talk about what's happening in each new chapter? Because I'm pretty sure that's what forums like this are for.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Dude. I keep telling you. I don't have to wait for the end of the story to give my opinion on what is happening now.

I never said the entire series was bad, did I? All I'm doing is critisizing the decisions the MC is currently taking. I'm not complaining that he hasn't told everyone yet - I understand a confrontation like that takes time. But I am complaining that he is making excuses and planning NOT to tell the girl, because that's something he is doing right now and having more chapters isn't going to change it. Why do you have such a problem with that? Don't you want people to show interest and talk about what's happening in each new chapter? Because I'm pretty sure that's what forums like this are for.
I'm not talking about waiting for the end of the story, it just lets things develop naturally.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

TPGW there will be extra pages next week.

I hope this is a good sign.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Ch. 05

--- Double Post Merged, ---

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Awwwww I teared up from chp5. There's so much heart in this story and its so motivating for people who want to be content creators. Don't mimic or copy, just make whatever it is your own as you work to entertain as many folks as possible with your creation. Wonderful.
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
1,968
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I like some stuff from the manga, part of the message, it's reaaaaally well drawn, etc. But it still misses something for me, even considering it's just beginning. I'll keep reading, of course, but I'm missing something.
 

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia
nah, this manga is shit..

we still got all MC justification to plagiarism. what a pathetic display.. atleast give us others spectrum/opinion/perspective
and this last 2 chapter we got nothing.. they all talk about art being worse or the MC never happy about his art, yet we never see the comparation or his progress art.. this is so swallow(shallow?) unlike bakuman. bakuman give us glimpse all their work, all author had diff art, and progression of mc art too.. like, come on..
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
Am I the only one who thinks that the description of White Knight's MC sounds like a Gary Stu and this implies that the current Jump prefers those kinds of MCs?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Am I the only one who thinks that the description of White Knight's MC sounds like a Gary Stu and this implies that the current Jump prefers those kinds of MCs?
how so?
 
Top