saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Interesting how different the characters look in color indeed :) I also thought Tommy Rod would look more goth ^^ I also wasn't expecting GT Robo to have pink fur... I was expecting something like brown, maybe. I wonder if Shimabukuro had any say in these color schemes or if the anime team chose it themselves?

Anyway, just a note that the Toriko anime has it's own thread in Otaku Theatre :amuse All future anime discussion can be conducted there :3
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I´m also reading Toriko and the Character, story and development are great.

I hope, that Toriko will het here his own forum section, bacues the fact, that "Kekkaishi" has ended^^
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Glad to hear you're reading and enjoying this great series, TemplateR :amuse

Just as it was said when members were asking for a Kenichi section when it was still a thread: Toriko will get its own section when the activity of this thread proves the need for one. There is no point in creating a section when the activity is not too high, is there? :) So, if the activity is high and the quality of discussion is good, Toriko will most definitely get its own section in the future :tem In any case, we also have a thread for new section suggestions, so do direct all such suggestions there. Remember that the series thread is for discussing the series itself :amuse
 

LoS

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
3,308
Reaction score
1,368
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Spoiler pics for 137 are out
credit to mangahideout like usual








uh ohhhhh, don't look now but the GT Bird has fed on something. This could get real rough.
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

You can't serious? :rofl Does the salamander sphinx wants to play? It looks like it. He does some peaceful movements and it might be that the bird animals are the serious people they will have to deal with
 

LoS

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
3,308
Reaction score
1,368
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Chapter is up on mangastream



It's pretty good, tells a bunch of what we already knew and guessed. We were correct on many counts.

It says the climax of the arc is next chapter, so we are almost done.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Yeah, I just read the chapter.

It somehow explains the skills of the birdman they met high on vegetable sky during the search for the ozone herb. It was already shown that this species is somewhat very intelligent. The book is confirming this as a proof. They are quite familiar with the rare ingredients and they know the way you have to handle them. I think that they are harmless unless they feel threatened. This might explain why one attacked Komatsu because touching their book might be an offence to them, a threat they can't accept.

So this new species might become very interesting. If you have a knowledge of ingredients, if you have an own language, if you have certain logical-complex habits, etc then you are somewhat civilized. They are from gourmet world going by IGO president's reaction way before. This is definitely going to be interesting
 

sabret00the

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
1,736
Reaction score
216
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I'm not sure how it confirms anything with the birdmen, the birdman had to learn how to eat the Ozone Herb from Toriko through trial and error.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I'm not sure how it confirms anything with the birdmen, the birdman had to learn how to eat the Ozone Herb from Toriko through trial and error.
Deduction itself is already a proof of that. It got to it faster than Toriko and Komatsu together. Okay, it had its biological composure as an advantage but trial and error is even what scientists do nowadays. It's all part of deduction and together with the book, the fact that they are residing in human world in some building, the fact that they write and they have an own language... is imo proving that the birdmen are a fascinating race which are closer to humans than eg the puffer whale, the salamander sphinx and many other creatures they have encountered.

OR the biggest twist would be that the pyramid and the book are the doing of other humans.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

This is pretty interesting. Both theories are possible - that the birdmen are intelligent and wrote that book and had figured out how to kill the beasts in specific ways so as to ensure their taste, and also that it was actually humans who did it. If it was the latter though, how would the birdmen tie in? I'm leaning more towards the former theory. After all, there are even birdmen tombs in the pyramid and the drawings on the walls also depicted birdmen and not humans.

Shimabukuro is clearly drawing a distinct parallel between the birdmen and the ancient Egyptians. There is no doubt that the Egyptians of old were very intelligent and figured out a lot of really amazing stuff, evident in how they built the pyramids, the arrangements such that they faced precisely in a certain direction etc etc. Yet, they were not all-knowing... In the same way, birdmen could know a lot, but still not everything. Maybe it was the first time they had encountered the ozone herb, as after all ozone herbs aren't found everywhere in abundance.

Maybe birdmen are aliens? I was watching a documentary the other day about the Egyptians possibly receiving help from aliens... Totally random, I know, but this is manga, and anything can happen :XD
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I think that the birdmen shouldn't be understimated. Going by the words of the IGO president, we can clearly tell that they come from gourmet world. Let it be that part of the world in which the leader of the bishokukai resides in. These birdmen were also the design of their GT robo. It might be a hint that bishokukai's boss might have been somewhat impressed/intruiged by them.

Well, sally, I think that your comparison is hitting the nail on its head. Civilisation doesn't mean that it has always been the same. Romans, Egyptians, Greeks,... etc were all humans with each their own civilisation. You can find similarities but you can also see differences between them. Hence why the birdmen can have an own civilisation apart from the humans.

The wall paintings, the book, etc I also hope that it will be their doing. I even believe that the assault on Komatsu was not done because he was a human/foreigner/mamal but more because he grabbed their book.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Great chapter of Toriko!!!

Based on the power of this monster i don't really think that Toriko and Zebra can beat it , so somehow the interference of the birdmen, will be the factor which decides what is going to be the result!

Really cool to see that we are going to see again the Birdmen, which seem to be quite powerful and neither Toriko or Zebra stand a chance of winning against it!

I hope that we will see some new moves from Toriko, and hope that this adventure helps them to become strong enough to enter in the Gourmet World!
 

Smit

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
139
Reaction score
56
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

Cool chapter. I really like the battle and Komatsu for showing us his expertise.

Here is my prediction for the next chapter. The Birdmen will defeat Zebra and Toriko. then he goes on to fight the sphinx. The birdmen will make it cry the mellow cola. Toriko will somehow drink the cola. His cells will evolve anothere step. And BAMM beats the birdmen (or chases him away)
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

So, a question: do you think that the birdmen will have bad intentions towards Toriko and co? Why I ask, is because when Toriko and Komatsu met the birdman on vegetable sky then Toriko could feel it wasn't a GT robo but he couldn't feel any hostility. The circumstances are different now. It seems they have stepped into their territory + their book has been taken away. One of the awakened was quite hostile towards Komatsu. So, I wouldn't be surprised if like Smit said that these birdmen might see Toriko and co as their enemies BUT as an enemy of their enemy, the salamander sphinx, they might turn out to become friends
 

Smit

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
139
Reaction score
56
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

So, a question: do you think that the birdmen will have bad intentions towards Toriko and co? Why I ask, is because when Toriko and Komatsu met the birdman on vegetable sky then Toriko could feel it wasn't a GT robo but he couldn't feel any hostility. The circumstances are different now. It seems they have stepped into their territory + their book has been taken away. One of the awakened was quite hostile towards Komatsu. So, I wouldn't be surprised if like Smit said that these birdmen might see Toriko and co as their enemies BUT as an enemy of their enemy, the salamander sphinx, they might turn out to become friends
The reason I think the birdmen will also attack the sphinx is because when we saw it awake it was very emaciated. So i think it needs to feed on a extremely potent ingredient in order to (re)gain strenght. Like the Mellow cola.
The reason I think it will attack Toriko and co. is because off the reasons you said and I dont think they are in enough trouble like usual. (Thats not a logical reason I know)
But of course they could be friends. Lets just wait and see. Either way Toriko and Zebra are in trouble
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I have a feeling Komatsu will be key in this situation (as usual). By that I mean that the Birdmen might be hostile initially, even towards him, but somehow or another, Komatsu will do something (probably accidentally), and the hostility will go away. And in that way, perhaps Toriko and co. will be able to succeed in obtaining the mellow cola because of Komatsu's help in... "communicating" (?) with the birdmen.

I agree that Toriko and Zebra are probably going to be in trouble or at least up for a fight for the next chapter at least. I don't think the birdmen will be instantly friendly. With their seemingly more advanced ways, it'd be interesting to see how they fight and match up against Toriko and Zebra.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I kinda agree with both of you.

believe that there will be an emergence of hostility towards Toriko and Zebra. The fact that the birdman attacked Komatsu couldn't have been because of the book only but maybe because of the knife he used and the sound armour from Zebra by which he was protected. The birdmen might be attracted by strength, or better said the conditions of the present creatures/ingredients. Why do I think that? Well as soon as some other creature came nearby Komatsu, the birdman decided to attack that one instead. Humans are probably ingredients to them like other creatures are to the bishoku-ya and the birdmen. I somehow think that the birdmen are interested in the ingredient which gives them the strongest hunch attacking it. Hence why I believe that the Salamander Sphinx might be their lifebuoy.
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I got the impression that the birdman was simply hungry. I mean how long was he in the coffin? A few thousand years? Than he wakes up and is insanely hungry, sees Komatsu and tries to eat him but fails. This would also explain why he couldn’t penetrate the sound armour. In the world of Toriko Calories equal strength, which means if you haven’t eaten for a few thousand years, your strength will not be that high. He might even never have met a human. Than he sees the bigger creature with more meat and changes target.
I even believe that the birdman will work together with Toriko and Zebra to get the Cola because on the picture more than one birdman were necessary to get the cola which implies you simply need a few people to get the creature to cry.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

That also begs the question... How long can birdmen live? Why was it even in the coffin? How long have birdmen even been around? :o I keep thinking of the comparison to Egyptians and mummies and those horror movies where the mummies come back to life. Some water was shown dripping and then the birdman rose. I really wonder why that happened. It's very possible it was just hungry, and at that point without enough energy to penetrate the sound armor.

As I still think Komatsu will play a key role here, perhaps the only reason the birdman reacted so hostile towards Komatsu was because of the sound armor. It sensed Zebra. If it hadn't been there, maybe it wouldn't have been hostile.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi

I'm more inclined to believe that birdmen are more like bioweapons used by whoever built the pyramid to gather ingredients, as oppose to the master of the place themselves...
 
Top