Done Tranlation help please...

dasaten

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I am just now starting my first translation. I am trying to do Cross Game #1 http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/25917/6?t=1241397550 . I am only at the table of contents, and already I have come across a couple of words I've never seen and can't find in any dictionaries. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thx!

Here are the words:

キャイン

ニャロ
 

Elkin

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
80
Reaction score
22
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
Both of the words are sound effects/onomatopoeia.

キャイン: 'yelp' or 'yip'

ニャロ: 'mrrrow' or 'meow'
> the sound a cat makes
 

dasaten

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey thanks. I think I'm gonna put this particular manga aside for now and try something else. But, I was wondering. Are there any good websites that have a comprehensive list of onomatopoeia found in manga? I found one: http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/common-japanese-onomatopoeia-word-sounds-found-in-manga/ It's seems to have quite a lot, but it has all except the ones I am looking for.

How do you guys know all these giongo? Did you just learn them through years of experience? :)
 

dasaten

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
First Stab at Translating-Comments and Criticism greatly appreciated!

Here we go...So I'm trying my hand at translating a manga for the first time. I picked Mikarun X, and so far I've got the first 3 pages done. I just want to know if I should keep going or not. I want to hear comments from some seasoned translators. Do y'all think I have what it takes? Here's the link to the issue:
Thx!

Pg 1

ついに新連載本格始動!!
At last, the new original series begins!!

Nomi: こんいちは 飛行船ワイド司会の能見靜です
     Hello everyone, I’m airship-wide chairwoman Shizuka Nomi.

-ウオオオ オン-
whir

「 ミカるんX 」 クロス
[ Mikarun X ] Cross (indicating pronunciation is “Mikarun Cross”)


Nomi: 一昨日東京市に現れた2頭の巨大怪獣は 
    The two huge monsters that appeared in Tokyo the day before
    yesterday

    ペソマルク星人と名乗る宇宙人に倒され東京湾に姿を消しました
were defeated by aliens claiming to be from the planet Pesomark,
their figures disappearing into Tokyo Bay.

さいわい市街地被害は小さく…..
In more fortunate areas of town, there was only minimal damage…..


Nomi: ペソマルク星人は日本政府に対し報酬1億円要求
The aliens from Pesomark are demanding compensation
from the Japanese government
 
     政府は現在返答を保留しています
As of now, the government is still holding off on making a
decision


     。。。ということなんですが いかがですか勝谷さん
....that’s the situation for now. What do you think about all
this Miss Katsuya?

Katsuya: あのねー これはサギです
      Well- I think it’s a scam
     
怪獣のアタマをみてください 同じ形のアンテンがあるでしょ
Look here at the monsters’ heads. Both of their antennas
look the exactly the same.



操られとるんですよ こいつに
We’re being manipulated by this guy!


Pg 2

低次元の自作自演です 絶対払ったらあきませんよ
This is a low-level charade. If the government pays, I’m
through!


Runna: 東京こわー...
   Tokyo’s scary…

R Side:   地球は狙われている!! 大型バトルヒロインがREDに見参!!
      They’ve taken aim at Earth!! The great battle heroine comes
to RED!!

L Side: 空想特撮新連載!!
      Imagination/Special Effects/New Series!!     

高遠る
by Takatoo Rui

第壱話  斬撃と鞭打
      Chapter 1 Slice Attacks and Whiplash

Pg 3

Runna: 失敗つづきの高校受験
     I’ve failed every high school entrance exam I’ve taken.

最後の最後になぜか唯一合格したのが
The school I somehow managed to get into at the
last moment

高校で10人だけ新規募集する
was looking for just 10 new students.

     全寮制の中高一貫校だなんて...
...and it has to be a boarding school for grades 7-12.

Sign: 年度合格者発表
    this years successful applicants

Runna: しかもなんてゆーか案の定。。。
     What’s more, just as I thought…

     評判以上にみんながみんなお嬢さまチック。。。
the school has more than exceeded it reputation as
everyone, and I mean every chick here, comes from a rich
family.

わたしみたいな福井県民と 友だちになってくれるかな。。。
     I wonder if any of them would ever become friends with
someone like me from Fukui Prefecture…
    

Runna: あっクラス分け
Ah, here’s this year's class

‚Crowd: あんたなに組?  瑪瑙組   
     Which class did you get? onyx class

     おーっまた一緒だ――   あたし水晶  翠玉-
Ooh, they’re still together.. I’m in crystal I’m jade

ガヤ ガヤ ガヤ
blah blah blah

    
 
Last edited:

Needled Reaper

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just Little bit of Translating Help

I am currently trying to translate this page http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/2989/68 of Mr. Fullswing as not many groups have picked this series up.

The only bit of problem i am having is the dialouge in Hiragana/Katakana with the second and third panel as i can't really tell the Hiragana/Katakana clearly.

Any help is appreciated as i would like to continue trying my best to translate this series which i love.
 
Last edited:

Emily00

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
19
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Just Little bit of Translating Help

2nd panel:
檜 そのカードは!?
一体 何なんだ何を暗示してんだよ!?

3rd panel:
オイってば
このカードは…
 

Needled Reaper

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Just Little bit of Translating Help

2nd panel:
檜 そのカードは!?
一体 何なんだ何を暗示してんだよ!?

3rd panel:
オイってば
このカードは…
Thank you!:D
 

Kakoshima

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Zimbabwe
First translation... need help

*edit: I should mention that someone has looked at my translation and sent me a message.

Hey, I just posted my first translation:

http://mangahelpers.com/t/kakoshima/releases/12021

I could use a bit of help though. I'm not sure of the meaning in some spots:

1 :

"委員長おはようがざいます!!
Good morning Ms. President (note: Konoha is most probably the president or chairman of the student association)"

2:


box: 今はまだ強化魔術しか使えない私はマスターのおそばでサポートをすることくらいしか出来ませんが...
Right now, I can only use hardening magic. So, I can only support him. (note: would "act in a supporting role" be better?)

3:

not sure of this whole part. Are they really talking about pillars? I guess it could be: "counter for nobles". So that would mean that there are 72 demons lords?

アスタロト
ソロモン王が封じたとされるソロモンの72柱の魔神の1柱。400の悪霊の軍団を率い、序裂29位の大公爵とされる。別の書物では、ルシファー、ベルゼバブと並ぶ3柱として名をあげられている高位の悪魔。
box: He's one of the demons that were sealed in 72 pillars by King Solomon. He commands an army of 400 imps. He is ranked as a 29th level Great Duke. In another book (of the bible probably) he's mentioned along with Lucifer and Belzebub as a high ranking demon.

4:

not quite sure here either

弟子を守るために騎士が残るのならともかく... // そこで逃げれば騎士じゃないよね
Knights will always stay to protect students, so...
if I didn't stay I wouldn't be a knight

5:

what's up with the mask thing?


余からアスタロトという殻を奪った人間がかような腑抜けでは...
まあよい余を連れていけ悪魔の殻を失った身では魔界には戻れぬ
So the human who stole Astaroth from me is that kind of idiot...
Well, whatever. Take me along with you now. Since I lost my demon shell, I can't go back to the Etherworld anymore with this body. (unsure)
余波金星の女神イショタル
I'm Isthar, goddess of Venus.

アスタロトとは信仰心を失った余が憎しみを糧に身にまとった仮面じゃ
Astaroth was a mask put around me. He fed me, who had lost my faith, with hate (or: he was a mask that fed from my hate. I had lost my faith.)
じゃがその仮面もすでに奪われてしもうた...
but then you snatched away the mask (note: unsure of translation)

Thanks for looking!
 
Last edited:

Kylieroo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Need some help translating!

Hey, I'm translating for the first time! And there are a lot of things i need help with. If anyone can correct or critique my translations on these lines, I'd really appreciate it!


Top-  その気になれば 住む世界を変えられる
そんな生き物を オレは今日 知る事になる。
I want to change the world I live in
I think today is the day that creature decides. (I KNOW this part is wrong XP)

Text 1- 朝つばら から 痴女に 遇って しまった
Damn it! This morning I met such a perverted girl!

Bubble 4- オレ何も してないよな?
She shouldn't have done that kind of thing (CHECK PLEASE)

Bubble 5- 判るか そんなもん!! 袋とじでも あんなん 見た事ねえし!
I get it!! There was a reason she looked! (Please check this also. I mostly guessed.)

Thought 1- い。。。いかん 女と関わると
But...she also affected me...

Thought 4- 育海~~~ サヨちゃんから 電話よ~
Learning about the sea...I'll call Sayo-chan.

Please and thank you to everyone who helps! ^_^
 
Last edited:

tradedaemon

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
73
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Need some help translating!

Gotta send her back to the ocean. さなきゃ=さなければならない or one of those must do forms

ろく= satisfactory probably

Personal choice since it's crass jp: Ah... crap..... passing ou-

dic says ヒレ can be "fin" of a fish.
 

Kylieroo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Need some help translating!

Thank you! ^_^ There are still a few more translations I need help with. ヒレ=ヒン...weird.
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
Re: Need some help translating!

そんな生き物を オレは今日 知る事になる。 = オレは今日 そんな生き物を 知る事になる。
I know it sounds a bit stupid to point that out, but . . . don't know if it makes things easier or not. >_<"

"Today, I came to know of such creature"

オレ何も してないよな? = I didn't do anything, right?

~もVerb~ない = Didn't do something . . . it's kind of hard for me to explain, sorry . . . >_<"

判るか そんなもん!! 袋とじでも あんなん 見た事ねえし! = "Like hell I'll know about it!! I never saw it before as well even if it's double-leaved!"

You can think of 判るか as something like "How am I supposed to know?" Note that the か at the end means it's a question sentence anyway, so . . . :p

Not so sure about the double-leaved as well though . . . since got to be honest, I don't exactly understand that one either. From what I understand from JP wiki, fukurotoji is something like . . . some pages in the books that got hidden for a particular purpose when on the selling shelf. Like, the pages that you don't want people to see, example porn. Some kind of censoring, I guess . . . though I can be wrong . . . >_<"

い。。。いかん 女と関わると = Th- . . . This is bad. If I go associate with woman

いかん=いかない And note the と at the end, which I think works as an "if".

育海~~~ サヨちゃんから 電話よ~
Can you look at the manga again for me? Since I got the feeling that 育海 is actually a person's name . . . >_<"

And サヨちゃんから 電話よ will mean "you got a phone call from Sayo-chan" . . . note that から is from, so you got it the wrong way around with that one . . . >_<"
 

Uruner

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Little help with one sentence

I'm just starting as a translator
I had little problem with this part:

彼の元に
辿り着く頃には
血の色で
染め上げられて
いるに違いない

I came up whith this but i'm not sure of it:
I will definitly struggle my way to him, and chceck
out if he's blood is the same color as it used to be.

.... i would be obliged if anyone would tell me what it meant exactly
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
Re: Little help with one sentence

"Once you reached where he is, it's certain that everything will be tainted with the color of the blood" . . . or something along that line, I guess . . . >_<"
 

Uruner

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2008
Messages
61
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Little help with one sentence

Huh...

So i was quite off the mark ^^

ありがとうございます for Your help. :D
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
First stab at English Translation in a long time... (ToLoveRu 149)

It's been about 9 years since I last attempted at English translation of manga (well, actually, it was BL doujinshi... :p) I hope I'm not too rusty!

I've been mainly doing Japanese to Chinese translations (which is, in my opinion, easier, even though Chinese is my third language), and had been doing ToLoveRu for the past... two years. Seeing that ToLoveRu's translation is sometimes missing a chapter here and there, I thought why not spend a bit more time and do a English translation after I'm done with the Chinese?

So here it is, the first (and hopefully not the last!) of my ToLoveRu English translation ;)

http://mangahelpers.com/t/finestela/releases/12555

Please provide as much comments/suggestions/whatever as possible!

Thanks ahead!
 

dosukoi7

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
23
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pending translations

My translations have been pending for a little while, and I was hoping someone could check them so my actual number of translations would be correct on my page. I was under the impression that they wouldn't need to be in the pending category if I didn't select translator in training.. but that's how they are.. soo..

can someone look at them :D I'm pretty sure they are fine. they've all been used for Edited Mangas anyway..

Thanks in advance
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Pending translations

You may want to try the new "Help A Translator" section as well :)
 
Top