News - U.S. Shonen Sunday | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News U.S. Shonen Sunday

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
VIZ has announced the creation of a Shonen Sunday imprint to coincide with the release of Rumiko Takahashi's Rinne this November. Currently licensed series Inuyasha, Hayate, Kekkaishi, Conan, Yakitake Japan, etc. will be moved to the imprint. Sunday fans waiting for more licensed series should note images of Hyde and Closer, Juvenile Remix, and Aratakangatari on the home page. None have been officially licensed, but still worth noting.

Update: VIZ has put out a formal announcement through ANN. To sum up, Rinne will be the first title under the Shonen Sunday imprint and comes out October 20. At San Diego Comic - Con on July 24 they will announce further titles, to be released in 2010. Presumably it will be the three I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Hells to the yeah!! I will pick up the first issue of this baby and hopefully it will be great.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't think it will be a magazine. At least nothing has been said of that yet. It will be like VIZ Signature; a line of manga. I'm happy as it's now clear that they plan on licensing and promoting more Shonen Sunday titles. An online magazine, like IKKI would be cool. With Shojo Beat canceled I don't know if VIZ plans another print magazine.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I don't think it will be a magazine. At least nothing has been said of that yet. It will be like VIZ Signature; a line of manga. I'm happy as it's now clear that they plan on licensing and promoting more Shonen Sunday titles. An online magazine, like IKKI would be cool. With Shojo Beat canceled I don't know if VIZ plans another print magazine.
Ah, lol well that's a shame. And I wasn't aware Shojo Beat was canceled. Did it happen recently because it seemed like I saw an issue of it last month at a bookstore.

Rejuvenation

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
^Yeah, it was announced a month or two ago.

I'd actually love to see more Sunday Series promoted and sped up more. It is great that Viz is finally focusing on more things besides Naruto...ugh.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
All that's known right now is that they will give Sunday a full imprint, rather then release SS Comics as part of the old VIZ Action or plain VIZ lines. The website will go live July 22, the licensing announcements will be on the 24th. It's almost a guarantee that Aratakangatari, Maou - Juvenille Remix, and Hyde and Closer will be the first new titles. VIZ is quickly expanding their line with Rinne getting same day releases in the U.S. and Japan, IKKI online coming in August, IKKI titles getting their own imprint under VIZ Signature, the Sunday imprint, and then the One Piece push coming in January. They really seem intent on pushing the boundaries of licensing.

They announced the cancellation in May, the last issue was supposed to be the one from June. I still see issues in book stores too.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
All that's known right now is that they will give Sunday a full imprint, rather then release SS Comics as part of the old VIZ Action or plain VIZ lines. The website will go live July 22, the licensing announcements will be on the 24th. It's almost a guarantee that Aratakangatari, Maou - Juvenille Remix, and Hyde and Closer will be the first new titles. VIZ is quickly expanding their line with Rinne getting same day releases in the U.S. and Japan, IKKI online coming in August, IKKI titles getting their own imprint under VIZ Signature, the Sunday imprint, and then the One Piece push coming in January. They really seem intent on pushing the boundaries of licensing.

They announced the cancellation in May, the last issue was supposed to be the one from June. I still see issues in book stores too.
Eh well I didn't read it anyway.

But I'm extremely glad that viz seems determined to release so many series close with the japanese release. Means I don't have to re-read Edited Mangas as much.

Horsee

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hungary
I hope VIZ will licensing MAJOR! It's very long but very great Sunday series and it's still unlicensed. :(

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Major would be good, but American publishers seem wary of sports manga :/ Not to mention the length. Who knows, it could be something the pick up down the road, it is a classic of the genre.

Horsee

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Well there are a lot of sport manga in the US but (I don't know why) they completely avoid the baseball (which is one of the most popular sport there). I can't even mention a baseball manga what get licensed in the US. Well, the Major have 72 tankoubon right now but they licensing Detective Conan/Case Closed too which has 64 tanks and is ongoing.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Conan's an old license, that's been serialized since before Naruto was imported. There are a lot of sports manga here, but none have been licensed recently. Shueisha and Shogakukan are both light on sports series, especially shonen sports, popularity may not have that much to do with it. Since most of the big baseball series are Del Ray, and they don't know what they're doing, the market simply hasn't been tapped. We'll see, maybe VIZ will try out Major. Everything is wide open at this point.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is good, but until I see ZKC, Ueki Plus, Trau and Acro I'm still not impressed. >_>

(And yeah if they do pick up Hyde I'm dropping it.)

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm 99.99% certain they'll pick up Hyde. Acro and Trau seem like long shots, at least until some of the big series have been brought over. I'd bet on ZKC, Kenichi, and Kami as the next wave of licensees. Since Juvenile Remix is barely translated, and an exceptional series, I'm glad it will be licensed now.

DeidaraGrimmjow

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hyde and Trau are cancelled series. Seems like a waste to me. I mean, Zombie Powder and Ral Grad are understandable because of the names attached to them. And I hope that Mixim or Kongoh Bancho would come before Acro (although I like that too but its days are probably numbered).

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Somebody at VIZ seems to like Hyde.

Mixim makes a lot of sense as Recca and MARS were both popular. Keep one thing in mind; with so much unlicensed Sunday and the new imprint, expect more to come for the second half of 2010.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hyde and Trau are cancelled series. Seems like a waste to me. I mean, Zombie Powder and Ral Grad are understandable because of the names attached to them. And I hope that Mixim or Kongoh Bancho would come before Acro (although I like that too but its days are probably numbered).
Think of it this way though, would you rather get halfway through a series that isn't selling and is like two bajilion volumes long, or a series that's five volumes and can be put out quickly? Trau's not a big deal, and I'm sure this is the reasoning behind Hyde. It's over now, and can be put out quickly. Currently running stuff has the problem of, well not being seen ending anytime soon.

..So the faster something gets canceled, the more likely it is that we'll see it. Honestly, the companies would much rather get a product that has an end in sight than something that's hugely popular but awfully long.

magicbulletgirl

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
*nods* I'm very excited about the news. I'll be at the panel so I can't wait to see if they really do announce Hyde and Closer. I'd like to think the Edited Manga helped them decide to release it. If anything, the way H&C starts is really endearing and appealing to the Jump crowd. Same for J.Remix. And Arata is one of Watase's series that's actually moving (I hear she has at least one series on haitus) so it should bring Shojo readers over to the Sunday label.

My only hope, besides this label be successful, is that they start releasing multiple Detective Conan volumes at once. Otherwise, we won't see the current arcs until 2015 ><!!!

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Inuyasha moved onto an accelerated release schedule this month, One Piece will in January, it would make sense to at some point do the same for Conan. And clean up the translation for some of the old volumes >.<

Lingwe

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good to hear that Juvenile Remix will be getting an official print. It's funny why it's barely been translated up until now.

Horsee

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Inuyasha moved onto an accelerated release schedule this month, One Piece will in January, it would make sense to at some point do the same for Conan. And clean up the translation for some of the old volumes >.<
Yeah, it seems VIZ finally woke up from a long time sleep just like Sleeping Beauty. To be honest the American Conan releases are not too good.

Since most of the big baseball series are Del Ray, and they don't know what they're doing, the market simply hasn't been tapped.
OFF: What do you mean with this?