Shounen Undead Unluck

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Since I was into Billy's original design I have paid closer attention to his character than to others, and pretty much the only time we have known him a bit better is Tatiana's flashback, and that was like one chapter before his traitor reveal. Also, besides that and those little comedic panels, the most we had seen of him was when they fought Victor, and even there his skill wasn't properly showcased.
Is he your favorite character in the series? :hmm Billy, I mean.
Personally, I like Shen the most. He's my favorite, but I also liked Gina (:crying), and I also like Fuuko a lot. Tatiana is among my favorites. Her Negator ability is sooooo creative.
In fact, I had a crack theory. If it wasn't for all this planning Union is doing to fight Billy, my guess was that Tatiana would go berserk due to an emotional breakdown, and end up unleashing her Untouchable ability, hence destroying the base :XD I know the author would not write something like this since its an easy way out, but it would have been fun to see it unfold.

About Fuuko's gun (Since it was discussed earlier), I have a feeling there is a chance she can imbue her Unluck into the bullets shot out by it. Would make for a unique fighting style.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Is he your favorite character in the series? :hmm Billy, I mean.
Personally, I like Shen the most. He's my favorite, but I also liked Gina (:crying), and I also like Fuuko a lot. Tatiana is among my favorites. Her Negator ability is sooooo creative.
I don't know if I would call him my favorite, but I was drawn to his design. If he had continued to be a chill blind gunman he might really have become my favorite, but I think now it would be either Andy or Shen. My favorite characters are usually males, but it's not that I dislike the girls on the series. You didn't mention Juiz, but there's something that makes me feel interested in her character as well.

Similar to how Billy has suddenly mirrored Aizen, Juiz has felt for a while like she was based off Sephiria Arks:

The leader of Chronos (a secret organization with a limited, numbered, amount of seats) from the Black Cat manga.

In fact, I had a crack theory. If it wasn't for all this planning Union is doing to fight Billy, my guess was that Tatiana would go berserk due to an emotional breakdown, and end up unleashing her Untouchable ability, hence destroying the base :XD I know the author would not write something like this since its an easy way out, but it would have been fun to see it unfold.
xD I feel like with powers like her and Unluck, the base has indeed always been in constant danger of sudden destruction.

About Fuuko's gun (Since it was discussed earlier), I have a feeling there is a chance she can imbue her Unluck into the bullets shot out by it. Would make for a unique fighting style.
Wasn't there a special metal developed by Nico that could be imbued with powers? That's what the ends of Shen staff are made of. If what you suggested is not part of the gun's powers, they could always try to develop bullets like that by themselves.[/QUOTE]
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Similar to how Billy has suddenly mirrored Aizen, Juiz has felt for a while like she was based off Sephiria Arks:

The leader of Chronos (a secret organization with a limited, numbered, amount of seats) from the Black Cat manga.
Aaaah, I only ever followed the Black Cat anime (Was among the first ones I watched, actually). But it was superb. I remember liking Jenos Hazard a lot, but I'm not sure if he has an equivalent in the Undead Unlucky manga :(
But I like the Sephiria parallel with Juiz. It fits perfectly.
Someone earlier on had mentioned Tozuka's favorite manga is Hunter x Hunter, so Billy's ability (Copying), is kinda similar to Chrollo Lucilfer's ability.

Wasn't there a special metal developed by Nico that could be imbued with powers? That's what the ends of Shen staff are made of. If what you suggested is not part of the gun's powers, they could always try to develop bullets like that by themselves.
I think I might have forgotten this detail. What special metal?
Or you mean Orihalcon? :fan
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Aaaah, I only ever followed the Black Cat anime (Was among the first ones I watched, actually). But it was superb. I remember liking Jenos Hazard a lot, but I'm not sure if he has an equivalent in the Undead Unlucky manga :(
But I like the Sephiria parallel with Juiz. It fits perfectly.
If you liked the anime you should also check the manga. The plot is similar, but also very different. Kind of like the first FMA anime.

Someone earlier on had mentioned Tozuka's favorite manga is Hunter x Hunter, so Billy's ability (Copying), is kinda similar to Chrollo Lucilfer's ability.
Their powers are similar, although Billy's seems to be much more broken than Chrollo's. Chrollo needs to go through painstaking plans to trick someone in order to steal their powers, while Billy is just like "Cool power, lemme borrow it".

I know about the most popular HxH characters but I've never read it myself so I can't call out more similarities between the two series. I should read it one of these days.

I think I might have forgotten this detail. What special metal?
Or you mean Orihalcon? :fan
Tatiana's metal ball suit does look like Orihalcon.
I meant Scarlet Gold. Although I'm not sure that's how it works, it's just what I understood from this page but I might have interpreted it wrong. Perhaps scarlet gold's "ability" is to be able to change shape? I don't know.
 
Last edited:

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Their powers are similar, although Billy's seems to be much more broken than Chrollo's. Chrollo needs to go through painstaking plans to trick someone in order to steal their powers, while Billy is just like "Cool power, lemme borrow it".

I know about the most popular HxH characters but I've never read it myself so I can't call out more similarities between the two series. I should read it one of these days.
That is correct, actually.
It's why my prediction for what his power is Unoriginal. Also why I was not really so fond of him being Under's boss (They corrected it last chapter though, very smartly done). Copying powers felt too weak a power, for the enemy boss?
I wonder what the Under's boss power is then. Also, if we will ever get an Unbelievable power in the story, or that will always remain Billy's cover story.

If you liked the anime you should also check the manga. The plot is similar, but also very different. Kind of like the first FMA anime.


Their powers are similar, although Billy's seems to be much more broken than Chrollo's. Chrollo needs to go through painstaking plans to trick someone in order to steal their powers, while Billy is just like "Cool power, lemme borrow it".

I know about the most popular HxH characters but I've never read it myself so I can't call out more similarities between the two series. I should read it one of these days.


Tatiana's metal ball suit does look like Orihalcon.
I meant Scarlet Gold. Although I'm not sure that's how it works, it's just what I understood from this page but I might have interpreted it wrong. Perhaps scarlet gold's "ability" is to be able to change shape? I don't know.
Ah, no wonder I didnt remember any of this. I saw someone mention Scarlet Gold a while back, but I didnt remember anything like that being mentioned in the manga.
Are there other afterwords like this? I heard that Nico having a daughter was mentioned in an afterword, but I never saw the afterword itself. Just secondhand knowledge.
I have no idea what the alloy does :hmm It could very well be the ability to change shape. A malleable metal? Considering staffs themselves are supposed to be unable to change in shape/stature.
Did you notice? When Shen was fighting Spoil with the staff, it wasn't spoiling away at all. Pretty neat detail.

Lmao, this Orihalcon talk has made me wishing Fuuko ends up like this :lmao
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,372
Gender
Male
Country
France
Just read the chapter.Rip didn't learn his lesson after his defeat last time :D. Anyway, with what he said it's hard to believe that God is the big bad.

I expected Isshin to die and to be replaced by the new Unchange, but I guess it would have been too simple.

Nico is a father? That's surprising.
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
1,966
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sorry for commenting on something that you all have already moved on from, but I think the main confusion on @Moegara's part is that he's going beyond "first order unluck". It only concerns the immediate "death", not the desired outcomes that Andy "forces" or anything after that.

Like the volcano: it erupted because it was the closest that could provide the amount of destruction the unluck called for. It does not matter that they wanted it to erupt. There is no second-order luck consideration, and that's how they use the power, that's the "loophole": trying to control where would the unluck come from.

In regards to Billy, as before, I wished we had more from him before this reveal.
Why/How do you think he can use UNjustice and so on?
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
That is correct, actually.
It's why my prediction for what his power is Unoriginal. Also why I was not really so fond of him being Under's boss (They corrected it last chapter though, very smartly done). Copying powers felt too weak a power, for the enemy boss?
I wonder what the Under's boss power is then. Also, if we will ever get an Unbelievable power in the story, or that will always remain Billy's cover story.
Has it been corrected?

Rip: "Who'd have thought our boss [Under] would be the third seat in the organization [Union]. This is pretty much our first time meeting, yeah?"

I think he's still Under's boss.

There must be a negator whose ability really is to ricochet bullets and always hit the target since that's a skill he copied. I bet he will appear some day, even if only as a background character.

Billy keeps talking about things being fair or unfair so I think he's just Unfair. And being able to use the skills of other negators is rather unfair (and overpower, which is good for a main villain). Combining negator's abilities also allows for stronger combinations, like using Top's superspeed, breaking a leg to stop himself, and instantly regenerating with Undead. Very Unfair when compared to having only one skill.

Ah, no wonder I didnt remember any of this. I saw someone mention Scarlet Gold a while back, but I didnt remember anything like that being mentioned in the manga.
Are there other afterwords like this? I heard that Nico having a daughter was mentioned in an afterword, but I never saw the afterword itself. Just secondhand knowledge.
I have no idea what the alloy does :hmm It could very well be the ability to change shape. A malleable metal? Considering staffs themselves are supposed to be unable to change in shape/stature.
Did you notice? When Shen was fighting Spoil with the staff, it wasn't spoiling away at all. Pretty neat detail.
I think the thing about Nico's daughter, that seems to be Mico, also mirrors Bleach (mad scientist Mayuri with his Nemu, who he treats as a daughter but is actually one of his creations).

About the staff. The staff itself is an artifact. The power to change shape is the artifact's ability, while the Scarlet Gold are the metal pieces attached at the two extremes of the staff that have been imbued with unbreakable but somehow also change shape with the staff. I thought Scarlet Gold was what allowed the pieces to be imbued unbreakable, but yeah, I think it's actually just what allowes them to keep up with the staffs shapeshifting.

There are other afterwords but I'm not sure right now where to find them.

Lmao, this Orihalcon talk has made me wishing Fuuko ends up like this :lmao
No gunslinger in anime history will be as badass as Train, but she could come close if she's properly trained.

Just read the chapter.Rip didn't learn his lesson after his defeat last time :D. Anyway, with what he said it's hard to believe that God is the big bad.

I expected Isshin to die and to be replaced by the new Unchange, but I guess it would have been too simple.

Nico is a father? That's surprising.
I expected Unbreakable to die as well, mostly because his power is a rather passive support skill rather than a fighter skill, compared to the others, and that's just not as fun in a shonen.

Sorry for commenting on something that you all have already moved on from, but I think the main confusion on @Moegara's part is that he's going beyond "first order unluck". It only concerns the immediate "death", not the desired outcomes that Andy "forces" or anything after that.

Like the volcano: it erupted because it was the closest that could provide the amount of destruction the unluck called for. It does not matter that they wanted it to erupt. There is no second-order luck consideration, and that's how they use the power, that's the "loophole": trying to control where would the unluck come from.
Indeed, unluck seems to only address physical danger and death, yet even this "loophole" does not explain how convenient the strokes are. I went into detail in the latest comment I made on the topic.

In regards to Billy, as before, I wished we had more from him before this reveal.
Why/How do you think he can use UNjustice and so on?
I wished that as well.

Unless his ricochet ability turns out to be an artifact's skill or just a supernatural skill born of training, he seems to be able to keep the abilities he copies forever. However there might be a limit to how many he can copy, and for all we know he could have to fulfill certain conditions to copy the skills. He made it look like he can just instantly copy any skill, but since he spent months with them as comrades, it's possible that he's more similar to Chrollo than we think and that he just fulfilled some "copy conditions" without anyone noticing. That'd be a cool revelation.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Has it been corrected?

Rip: "Who'd have thought our boss [Under] would be the third seat in the organization [Union]. This is pretty much our first time meeting, yeah?"

I think he's still Under's boss.

There must be a negator whose ability really is to ricochet bullets and always hit the target since that's a skill he copied. I bet he will appear some day, even if only as a background character.

Billy keeps talking about things being fair or unfair so I think he's just Unfair. And being able to use the skills of other negators is rather unfair (and overpower, which is good for a main villain). Combining negator's abilities also allows for stronger combinations, like using Top's superspeed, breaking a leg to stop himself, and instantly regenerating with Undead. Very Unfair when compared to having only one skill.
Wait, nvm, Im dumb :fail
I just went back to reread the panel:
I thought Rip was saying Billy was third seat in Under, not Union..... But since we know Union have the ranks, your explanation makes more sense.
It's a bit strange though. The way Rip and Latla say its their first time meeting Billy. Meaning they joined Under quite recently? :hmm

The negator who's ability is to ricochet bullets might be a member of Under. Makes me very curious to see what kind of members they have in their ranks.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Wait, nvm, Im dumb :fail
I just went back to reread the panel:
I thought Rip was saying Billy was third seat in Under, not Union..... But since we know Union have the ranks, your explanation makes more sense.
It's a bit strange though. The way Rip and Latla say its their first time meeting Billy. Meaning they joined Under quite recently? :hmm
I'm guessing Billy's control over Under was similar to how Baroque Works worked in One Piece. Despite the organization existing for decades, only Nico Robin knew the identity of their leader and she worked as an intermediary until Crocodile himself revelead his identity to the a select few.

In this case, he might have somehow mantained his identity a secret to most Under members so as to not put at risk his façade at Union.

The negator who's ability is to ricochet bullets might be a member of Under. Makes me very curious to see what kind of members they have in their ranks.
That might be so. I just hope we will get to see more original powers.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique


^ Cover page this week :nod
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, more Volume 3 information (Aside from the link posted by Moegara above).

Gives information about more of Union.

Link.
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
I still think that the bullet ricochet isn't a Negator ability at all. That was just a lie to Tatiana to cover his Negator ability. Otherwise, he would not only took Isshin down, but everyone else sans Tatiana since the ricocheted bullets were guaranteed not to miss.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,372
Gender
Male
Country
France
I still think that the bullet ricochet isn't a Negator ability at all. That was just a lie to Tatiana to cover his Negator ability. Otherwise, he would not only took Isshin down, but everyone else sans Tatiana since the ricocheted bullets were guaranteed not to miss.
How can you do something like that without a Negator ability? Are you saying that his gun is an Artifact? Even if it was the case, I doubt the Union would be unaware of this.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Volume 1 Afterword:
When I was a kid, I dreamed of having a series in Jump, but I didn't think it was possible that I would be able to draw something so full of mosaics like this. This volume has a lot of mosaics. I'm so sorry. Please give up.


Volume 2 Afterword:
I love the mysteries of space, like UMA and conspiracy theories, that are unknown and people mock by saying "that can't be real."
The world of "Undead Unluck" is a place where those "unknowns" are real. (I believe they exist in our world as well.)
It would be wonderful if I could draw this series in which people who are suffering, but continue to fight the unknown world that isn't known to humans, in a fun and cool way.

Volume 3 Afterword:
The Negators' power are deeply affected by their own emotions and values.
This cannot be changed in any way by reason.
If there is something that results an ordeal, they can use their thoughts and feelings to greatly increase their power.
Fuuko is an easily understandable example.
The Negator will become stronger the more they come to understand what they see as wonderful and what they admire.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
What did he mean by "mosaics" (and the "please give up" lol)?
 

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia


UU covers is here!!! yeey we got 3 stars of this arc. sureprise to see billy in the covers.

What did he mean by "mosaics" (and the "please give up" lol)?
censor bar on andy's d***..????
i dont know about please give up refers to whom?? hater/fans who dont like it, editor who want to erased it at all?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


also LCP for UNION's roundtable members!!
yoooooo..
also Billy's UN still being hiden... meaning UNBELIEVEBLE may not his actual power...
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,372
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah Unbelievable is probably not Billy's power since it's hidden.

Top looks great, I like the colors for Chikara as well.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
The shading of his color spreads looks better than that of some other more experienced mangakas.

I'm still rooting for Billy being Unfair.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Love how Juiz's hair has basically its own panel. XD
If Billy's power is really unfair then he would be the first where his name does not hint at his power unlike the others, how unfair~
 
Top