Huckabee's a fool - and this is coming from the mouth of a Republican.
Personally - I believe his ideas are outright moronic. That guy winning anything - would be a disaster. If we tossed MORE money into roads and such, it would not be good. I do agree that maintenance is essential - however - creating more than what we have at this time is foolery.
Things I would consider good:
- Railroad subsidy / credits - Encourage a shift from highway to rail. It worked excellent back when we needed transport most ... and with our aims at cutting pollution - an engine that can transport *trucks* at a fraction of what it costs ( monetarily & pollution wise ) a single truck to.
- Tax relief for SMALL businesses & employers - based on job growth & incentives passed on to employees. If you create jobs - you should be rewarded. If you provide healthcare for your workers, you should be rewarded as well. If this were limited to Small businesses who employ 5-50 workers or something of that nature. Larger businesses - don't need more help than they already get.
- Kill the war & world police force. Seriously. We need to go mostly Isolationist - and let the UN handle the dirty work. There's 6,000,000,000 people in the world - we're a drop in the bucket. Let the world handle the dirty work.
So , right there - there's huge savings.
But here's what I, personally, consider most important - education.
Now, I do notice there's handouts, people crying that they're not making enough money, etc. I hear "give more foodstamps", "give more federal aid", "tax cuts", etc -
Erm, the way I see it -
Aid should be on an effort-put-in basis. Handouts, free-lunches - non-existent.
If you want foodstamps - here's your requirements:
1- Get a job.
2- Get educated. Get your GED. Enroll in community college.
3- Gov't pays for your education IN FULL. Get decent grades -OR- have your instructors vouch that you're putting forth real effort - or your assistance is ceased.
4- CASH handouts do not exist. Give credit towards essentials ONLY: food, clothing, utilities, healthcare. Absolutely no spending money. You want cash to spend on yourself, work for it.
Once you prove you're actively seeking a better life, then you get more benefits. But again - cash - no. Work for cash - get a job like everyone else.
That's my idea of handouts. The "teach a man to fish" way.