Politics United States Presidential Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Specify 'damage,' Katy. :p That is, what the Democrats wouldn't have done either if they had been in the same position as President Bush.

It's not bad to be conservative in days like these. IMO most Democrats in office right now would still rather hand the country over to the enemies rather than actually defending it, from what I've seen of what they've done so far in Congress, their main concern is just trashing the Republicans, who are the ones trying to actually defend the country right now, despite whatever mistakes they may have made (but anybody makes mistakes, like the Democrats who, btw, presided during the Vietnam War).

And I think I know the first lady enough to know she's trying her best to win this thing, and she's going to use her feminine wiles to do so right now, because she doesn't have much else to fall on. XDDD She has NEVER cried once publicly, not even when her hubby was banging the chick in the Oval Office. She is turning this too much into just being about her, her lost opportunity to be the first Woman President, than what it really should be about: what she can do for the people. I've seen enough of her public appearances to know that she has the ability to appear strong whenever she wants to be, and personally I think she should have been in this case if she really wanted to put on the appearance of a strong, potential leader of the most powerful nation in the world. She's just blundering all over the place right now IMO.

Obama is going to win by a landslide at this point.

Anyway, I suppose events of late have started to get me into a nasty mood about the whole thing, so I guess I'd better stop posting again before I start just plain mud-slinging.

EDIT: I think the reason I'm aggravated right now is Obama is probably going to beat the Republican candidate by a landslide, too. I think I knew all along that a Democrat would win, it's just starting to hit me right now. Say hello to President Obama. You heard it here first. ;) You want the government to control your life, you're gonna get it.
Umm...who are the Republicans defending us against Phil? I try to be as moderate as possible...but weren't we the ones who invaded Iraq, without even one transgression made by the Iraqi Government against us since the first Persian Gulf War?

Why would an American statesmen, Democrat, Republican, or Independent hand over the country to an enemy? I hope your kidding there. I'll admit that the current Democratic Congress is, in large, not doing what the voters who put them in office to do...but isn't that status quo? From both sides of the aisle?

This story about Clinton crying is really a non-story to me. Let's face it, dozens of male politicians get emotional...Romney did already multiple times...he did it on "Meet The Press", he did it on the campaign trail. Giuliani's done it. Bush has done it....Congressmen do it. The reason this is a story is because people are so keyed on the fact that she's a woman. The Right-Wing pundits make this about her showing weakness...that she'd be unfit in a time of crisis...what? Because she showed some human emotion? Give me a break. People say she's too robotic...not feminine enough, and the moment she shows some fleeting emotion the same talking heads make a big deal about it. People need to make up their minds, sheesh. Let me set the record straight, that I'm not even a Hillary supporter at this stage. 25+ years of Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton doesn't appeal to me...we're not a Monarchy people.

The media makes this grievous mistake every election year...deciding who's going to win the entire election after the Iowa primary. Huckabee can say whatever he wants about the NH primary being a success for him, but he still finished 3rd. Romney spent more money than anyone in Iowa and NH and still finish 2nd in both. Obama still had a strong showing in NH, despite Hillary still winning. They were neck and neck here.

I think the biggest story so far is that the polling in NH was SO incorrect in saying Obama was going to win handedly. The Caucus and Primary Election are two different animals. The Caucus is essentially a public version of an election in which delegates choose the candidate by a showing of hands. The Primary Election is different as each voter gets a curtain, and can vote with anonymity. Obama won in Iowa...but he lost in NH. One procedure(Iowa) is public, while one is private(NH). Racism? Possibly. The only reason I'm bring this up is because the polls in NH were SO wrong...saying Obama would win by as many as double digits in the percentages. It will be interesting to see if there is a trend as Michigan's Primary and Nevada's Caucus is coming up soon. If the same happens in these two states as what happened in Iowa and NH, than there may be more to this.

Obama can still be proud with the results, but it's obvious the race is closer on the Democratic side than most of us thought.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I even wonder if troops will retreat out of Iraq with the new president. Politics is all about promises that won't come out for more than 70%
+ I think that there's another goal for staying in Iraq and that's Iran. Usa can control Iran from Iraq and the persian gulf

As a foreigner I really like the pre-president elections and the elections itself. Massive campaings, etc it's just an awesome show


Obama can still be proud with the results, but it's obvious the race is closer on the Democratic side than most of us thought.
True but almost all candidates except for edwards, obama and clinton whose results are fine, have almost retired from the elections. While among the republicans it seems to be so unpredictable on who's gonna win:
- iowa: huckabee
- wyoming: ronmey
- new hampshire: mccain
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I even wonder if troops will retreat out of Iraq with the new president. Politics is all about promises that won't come out for more than 70%
+ I think that there's another goal for staying in Iraq and that's Iran. Usa can control Iran from Iraq and the persian gulf

As a foreigner I really like the pre-president elections and the elections itself. Massive campaings, etc it's just an awesome show
Control Iran? This is not the people's wish. It's Oil Companies ambition to try to control as much territory around the Persian Gulf as possible. Us using our military, with or without a coalition backing us is just means for Oil Companies to get their hands on it. Bush says that we are addicted to foreign oil himself, yet his administration's ambition seems to be conquering all of the oil-rich land...it's schizophrenic to say the least. The people of America don't want more bloodshed, and we don't want another war.

Now, that doesn't mean Iran wouldn't attack our assets over there, as they are by proxy already, in Iraq. Then we'd have no choice but to respond unfortunately.


True but almost all candidates except for edwards, obama and clinton whose results are fine, have almost retired from the elections. While among the republicans it seems to be so unpredictable on who's gonna win:
- iowa: huckabee
- wyoming: ronmey
- new hampshire: mccain
It's a crapshoot maybe, but I only have respect for McCain. Although, it went down a bit after 2004, when he continued to side with Bush after all the mudslinging Bush threw at him during the 2000 election. Despicable stuff really, especially since we're talking about a decorated soldier and POW in McCain. One of the few prominent Republicans who ACTUALLY served in the military, and didn't get 5 draft deferments like Chickenhawk Dick Cheney, but whatever :notrust .

Giuliani doesn't look good right now either, despite being an early favorite. He's another Chickenhawk, who received two draft deferments, yet he still supports the war in Iraq. He's a conservative, but not so much on social issues, at least not when he was mayor of NYC. He's been married three times, and his third marriage was to his mistress during his second marriage. So he's an adulterer, yet Pat Robertson (A certifiable nut BTW), a televangelist endorses him?.....that doesn't add up to me. Does Robertson know something about his ACTUAL positions that the public doesn't? Quite frankly, he's only running on the "I was mayor in NYC during 9/11" platform, and not much else. I think he's a good person, but consistently hearkening back to how he and his staff handled 9/11 isn't going to convince any moderately intelligent voter that he's the best candidate for the Presidency. And continually bringing it up like it's some sort of certification, cheapens what he actually did that horrible day.

Huckabee is a smooth guy, has a sense of humor...but he's not a Republican really. He's a Socialist with socially conservative views, no doubt because of the fact that he's a Baptist minister. Seems pretty genuine, but I can't vote for someone who rejects the Theory of Evolution with a straight face. Much less his stance on abortion, same-sex marriage, and the death penalty. It's hard to believe a Man of the Cloth would be for the Death Penalty right? :s It seems to me that he won in Iowa because he was Protestant and not Mormon like the actual favored candidate in that state, Romney.

Romney's another smooth guy, but it's quite obvious by his record that he changes his positions too frequently and says whatever is necessary to get votes. Despite Mormonism's past of polygamy and racism, and somewhat bizarre practices and beliefs, I think only an idiot would vote for or against anyone based solely on their faith.

So, I can safely bet that I doubt I'll be voting Republican this time either...I think McCain would be the strongest candidate if he was more moderate like in his Congressional career...but it looks unlikely to happen.
 

Son-Derling

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
210
Reaction score
32
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
A little question but maybe a little off topic....what about that being democtratic or republican? Is it so common to vote every time the same side in America? In Europe over 70% of the people don´t have a favorite side in the elections and the most decide in the last moments which side to vote for.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well, I would say the majority of voters do vote purely based on party here in the US. There are exceptions, but the majority vote either Republican or Democrat. There are feeble attempts to have more parties involved like we did in earlier times, but the parties with money are the main two. That's why I feel Campaign Finance Reform is essential, otherwise it really comes down to who has the most money in some cases.
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
This Presidential election is turning out to be interesting. If both Hillary Clinton and Rudy Guiliani are not the two Presidential Candidates for either party, that’s politics for you - never count your chickens before they hatch. :eyeroll
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hillary has the potential to completely ruin the chances of the Democrats to get into the White House. If anyone has been following the Smack Talk between Obama and Hillary that's been going on, I think you might see my point. For every one thing Obama says, Hillary refutes it, says it's an attack on her, and then attacks Obama. It's like a crazy, over-hyped flame war waged by one person. This could eventually turn the voters away from both Obama and Clinton.
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Hillary has the potential to completely ruin the chances of the Democrats to get into the White House. If anyone has been following the Smack Talk between Obama and Hillary that's been going on, I think you might see my point. For every one thing Obama says, Hillary refutes it, says it's an attack on her, and then attacks Obama. It's like a crazy, over-hyped flame war waged by one person. This could eventually turn the voters away from both Obama and Clinton.
I see your point and I completely agree with you. This type of talk not only destroys political parties but it destroys countries as well. Nothing good comes from it. If the Democrats wants to win the White House, they better resolve their issues as quickly as possible. :blink
 

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
2,677
Reaction score
348
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is Hilary Clinton going through menopause? J/k

I'm not very interested in this Presidential race. Well I suppose I can't ignore it either but personally, I can't see anyone truly changing the U.S.

But here's my view, if Hilary or Obama gets voted into Office, it'll be a very grand event in U.S. history. It's either going to be the first female President or the first second Black President. Who wants another white guy for President?
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Obama would the second Black President of United States of America, so why is he fighting so hard to bring change when President Bill Clinton already did it? :D
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Obama would the second Black President of United States of America, so why is he fighting so hard to bring change when President Bill Clinton already did it? :D
Because Bill did it while sleeping with Monica Lewinksi and not inhaling dope. :)

I don't see why Hillary is bragging about winning Michigan. She was the only (real) candidate on the ballot there, not much of a challenge.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Uh...can you say Politics as usual? When has "smack-talking" never been a part of campaigns? Remember Bush labeling McCain as a traitor, and anonymous opponents used "push polling" to suggest that McCain's Bangladeshi born daughter was his own, illegitimate black child.

There's been worse smearing done in the past IMO.
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Anyone wants to predict who would win the Nevada? :D
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I registered to vote last weekend =D


Obama would the second Black President of United States of America, so why is he fighting so hard to bring change when President Bill Clinton already did it? :D
Um..excuse me, maybe I'm just REALLY ignorant, but when did we EVER have a black president? o.O Was that a joke, because I don't get it...

And anyways, it may be a "historic" moment if we have our first black or female president, but what does it matter if they don't do the job well? I don't care how the hell they look, as long as they do what's right.

Nevada...well, I'm not entirely sure. I don't know all that much about the state, or any of it's demographics :/
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
I registered to vote last weekend =D :/
:confetti Congratulations and I hope you go out to vote. :D


Um..excuse me, maybe I'm just REALLY ignorant, but when did we EVER have a black president? o.O Was that a joke, because I don't get it...

And anyways, it may be a "historic" moment if we have our first black or female president, but what does it matter if they don't do the job well? I don't care how the hell they look, as long as they do what's right.

Nevada...well, I'm not entirely sure. I don't know all that much about the state, or any of it's demographics
According to the african american, Bill Clinton is america first black president. :gigglebunny
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
So far we have

Iowa: Obama , Huckabee
New Hampshire: Clinton, McCain
Michigan: ???, Romney

Let us just keep updating the winners of each state every time a new result is out so that we will all be on the same page in discussion. :smile-big

Just on the side note, I think that Martin Luther King Jr. argument is really dumb. :gigglebunny
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think either of the top Democrat contenders would do a decent job. I just think Obama is more electable. No one has any major problem with Obama, while if you ask many people (including a good chunk of Democrats) what they think of Hillary they'll probably call her a b#$ch. Even if Obama isn't "experienced" enough, Hillary will more than likely be in the cabinet (if not Vice President) and make her experience at the use of Obama, which also brings in Bill's experience. Besides, if the Democrats take a big enough lead in the Senate and House, they'll have an easy time passing legislation even if Mitt Romney or Huckabee gets the White House (which is looking doubtful that either of them will be candidate or that the Republicans will take the presidency.)
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Um..excuse me, maybe I'm just REALLY ignorant, but when did we EVER have a black president? o.O Was that a joke, because I don't get it...

And anyways, it may be a "historic" moment if we have our first black or female president, but what does it matter if they don't do the job well? I don't care how the hell they look, as long as they do what's right.

Nevada...well, I'm not entirely sure. I don't know all that much about the state, or any of it's demographics :/
It's a joke since I'm assuming people refer to him as being smooth and an advocate for issues important to Black people. Then again, it might be a veiled racist comment since he is an adulterer, and I guess the stereotype of Black married men is that they are all adulterers, and/or absent during their children's development. It was no doubt started by a comedian I would guess.
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Congratulations to Hillary Rodham Clinton, Mitt Romney and John McCain on their wins.


:confetti :kkthumbs :occa :confetti​
 
Last edited:

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
864
Reaction score
19
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Wow Clinton and Obama really went off on their last debate...Any comments on that?

And what are Obama's stances on anything really I cant get where he stand on any issue except that hes agaisnt the war.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top