Politics United States Presidential Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
864
Reaction score
19
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
About YouTube, do you guys think that the candidates are going a little to far by putting Youtube vidoes all over. Whats next are they gonna come out with movies?

Has the president race gotten too involved with entertainment, since most candidates go on talk shows now and stuff like that.
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Everywhere around me, people chalked "Google Ron Paul" O__o

The following week, it becomes, "Don't google Ron Paul. He's TOO honest." O__O

I thought Ron Paul was some kind of student who runs for student government or something. Well, I never bother to read the news anyway. When I read through a magazine talking on presidential candidates, only did I realize that he is one of the presidency candidate. XD

The Obama supporters are very strong in my area too. Nonetheless, I don't see how the fact that he is black can entitle him a solid victory of Hillary and everyone else in the Democrats. For now, I will refrain from taking sides first though my heart is inclined toward a landslide democratic party candidate to win the final election.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Not to get too off topic here, but slavery wasn't really abolished per se until Abraham Lincoln delivered the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 and the 13th amendment was passed in...um...1866? or thereabouts. The civil war started over a massing of multiple trigger: economics differences b/w the north and south, abolition movements, state v federal rights, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, though multiple states had already succeeded by the time he was elected. They believed he was anti-slavery, when that wasn't necessarily true.
I meant the threat of slavery being halted, outlawed and abolished, which had alienated many Southern states because they were dependent on that for their economy back then.

But you're right, I mispoke, the actual abolishment happened afterwards. I just used the wrong wordings there (I was rather lazy).

Great to see this thread getting some more activity.
 
Last edited:

KyleUchiha

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
195
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
About YouTube, do you guys think that the candidates are going a little to far by putting Youtube vidoes all over. Whats next are they gonna come out with movies?

Has the president race gotten too involved with entertainment, since most candidates go on talk shows now and stuff like that.
I don't think it is going too far. Its a rather logical choice to do, or at least, I believe the candidates campaign's managers think so . They know that many people(particularly young people) will go there and see them and help get the word out. From my perspective, its not much better than all the ads they will put on TV, especially when the candidate gets their party's nomination. For them, this is a cheaper alternative(as far as I know) than making commercials.

But I'm not really sure if I want to vote. I know that I'm American and it is my duty to contribute in some way to this country for the freedoms I enjoy(and probably take for granted) but I feel if I vote, and if that person gets elected and does a poor job.....a very poor job.... I would feel like I help contributed in putting the country in a worse situation that what it might have been before. It would make me feel rather guilty.( I would like to point out, I haven't voted before, as I haven't been old enough, but now I am.)

And the fact that I have mixed feelings about all the Candidates doesn't help. And the Candidate that I may like now, might not even get the nomination of their party. And judging for the Democratic side, I probably will only have Obama and Clinton to choose from their crop of candidates. Don't know about the Republicans yet. It just feels like there is a limited batch of Candidates and I'm being forced to choose between people who are just popular with the rest of America, and its hard to tell from the ones who just want to be President, or the ones who actually want to make a difference.

But life is full of difficult choices. I guess I should just suck it up and make one when the time comes in November '08.:amuse
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
About YouTube, do you guys think that the candidates are going a little to far by putting Youtube vidoes all over. Whats next are they gonna come out with movies?

Has the president race gotten too involved with entertainment, since most candidates go on talk shows now and stuff like that.
I think the You Tube videos are great. It's just one more way for the candidates to get at the voters. Plus, some are funny, like Mike Gravel's campaign video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

I don't think it is going too far. Its a rather logical choice to do, or at least, I believe the candidates campaign's managers think so . They know that many people(particularly young people) will go there and see them and help get the word out. From my perspective, its not much better than all the ads they will put on TV, especially when the candidate gets their party's nomination. For them, this is a cheaper alternative(as far as I know) than making commercials.

But I'm not really sure if I want to vote. I know that I'm American and it is my duty to contribute in some way to this country for the freedoms I enjoy(and probably take for granted) but I feel if I vote, and if that person gets elected and does a poor job.....a very poor job.... I would feel like I help contributed in putting the country in a worse situation that what it might have been before. It would make me feel rather guilty.( I would like to point out, I haven't voted before, as I haven't been old enough, but now I am.)

And the fact that I have mixed feelings about all the Candidates doesn't help. And the Candidate that I may like now, might not even get the nomination of their party. And judging for the Democratic side, I probably will only have Obama and Clinton to choose from their crop of candidates. Don't know about the Republicans yet. It just feels like there is a limited batch of Candidates and I'm being forced to choose between people who are just popular with the rest of America, and its hard to tell from the ones who just want to be President, or the ones who actually want to make a difference.

But life is full of difficult choices. I guess I should just suck it up and make one when the time comes in November '08.:amuse
I know the feeling. I like Bill Richardson right now, and his chance of getting the nomination is slim because everyone is raving about Obama and Clinton.
 
Last edited:

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hillary: You guys have no experiences! The last thing we want is a president-in-training. That will be the costliest training cost!

Obama: What kind of experience are you talking about? O__o

Haha, I don't quite care.

There's another thing that caught my attention.

Beside the "Don't GOOGLE Ron Paul. He is too honest." flyer, there's a little note at the side of the flyer saying, "and because he is pro-life and he is against the separation of church and state."

Somehow, some people later try to confuse others about Ron Paul. So they wrote down "Google Sean Paul" instead of "Google Ron Paul". ^___^

Nov. 08 promises to be an interesting month. =D
 

Nell-chan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
I just read the whole thread, cause i also just found out that u made this thred GK, anyway good job, and I have a question on all of u guys [and of course also girls] what do u think...how will be the USA in lets say 50 years [i mean everything from the economy, industry, relations between americans, with other states and so on], I am not American and I would like to know your opinion concerning this matter. THX
 

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
hmmm a US presidential election thread huh? you know maybe this kind of election should be made global...the world should have a say on who becomes US president since everytime the president sneezes in the oval office, it seems the whole world gets stirred up in the whirlwind...:XD

anyway for a more serious tone....(and some mind-joggling of the west wing episodes....:p) from a non-US citizen who's been exposed to a significant amount of issues related here...domestically imho your tax system is confusing (from what i heard), and healthcare/social security needs an overhaul.

on the gray moral side....an important issue should be whether to initiate a repeal process for roe vs wade and return the issue to the states or for congress to legislate on it with finality; the LBGT rights are already discussed extensively; other missed issues which should also be discussed here are gun control and capital punishment. and oh yeah climate change!!! :XD
 

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
2,870
Reaction score
60
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I just read the whole thread, cause i also just found out that u made this thred GK, anyway good job, and I have a question on all of u guys [and of course also girls] what do u think...how will be the USA in lets say 50 years [i mean everything from the economy, industry, relations between americans, with other states and so on], I am not American and I would like to know your opinion concerning this matter. THX
I REALLY REALLY remember a thread buried somewhere about what-your-country-will-look-like-in-50-years but I couldn't find it. :darn

I am not an American but I kind of know a bit about US economy through the macroeconomic s classes I took.

I think that, IF nothing huge happens (say world war III), I can definitely see US GDP growing steadily with not many recessions (unless the Fed messes up).

Greenspan left US in a good shape. I'm not sure how Ben performs right now but so far this year, unemployment is going down, inflation rate is sort of going down too I heard (because SSN benefit is like lowest in 4 years time?).

Based on history alone, US was pretty good all alone with a great depression in the 30s, some recessions in 70s, less recessions in 80s and 90s and the most recent one (and the mildest one) being the recession of 2001. So, I can only see good things ahead for US economy despite its weak value against other currency (for example $1 = 1 canadian dollar).

Yeah, conclusion is:

Bright skies ahead if The Fed doesn't mess up and presidents don't mess up. The people are smart enough, so it's the government that has to be smart too.
 

Nell-chan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
I REALLY REALLY remember a thread buried somewhere about what-your-country-will-look-like-in-50-years but I couldn't find it. :darn
Maybe i should have said 10:p

I am not an American but I kind of know a bit about US economy through the macroeconomic s classes I took.

Well I study International Relations and Diplomacy so I ve had classes from Economics thru Intenational security to Culturology...so I have much info but its only academic.. personaly i dont give much credit to books or publications, u know u can read something that seems valueable and with strong argumentation and facts but the thruth is much of the time "at least" a little bit different, anyway thats not important

I think that, IF nothing huge happens (say world war III), I can definitely see US GDP growing steadily with not many recessions (unless the Fed messes up).

Greenspan left US in a good shape. I'm not sure how Ben performs right now but so far this year, unemployment is going down, inflation rate is sort of going down too I heard (because SSN benefit is like lowest in 4 years time?).

Here I have to be a little bit sceptical [and there is not even need for a III world war], Recession or crissis hmmm well I DOUBT the crissis even if the economy technically avoids a recession, it will feel like one to most Americans—because it will be led by consumers. That will be a big change. Consumer spending has not fallen in a single quarter since 1991; it has not fallen on an annual basis since 1980. Consumers barely noticed America's last recession—when low interest rates and high house prices kept them spending solidly. Just how voters and politicians react to a consumer downturn in an election year is worryingly uncertain. What's more, the squeeze on consumers will last longer than many expect because it involves the unwinding of an asset-price bubble and attendant financial excesses. There seems little reason to expect, as many analysts seem to, that the housing bust will be history by the second half of 2008.( I think you know about the problem in the housing if not see http://iamfacingforeclosure.com/ and this is an old one http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/1404.html and now see this http://business.timesonline.co.uk/t.../construction_and_property/article1599721.ece)

Policymakers responses may be more muted. In 2001, the economy was cushioned by a large fiscal boost, thanks to tax cuts and bigger spending, as well as much lower interest rates. A big tax cut now seems extremely unlikely. At the same time, the weak dollar and global economic strength that softened the downturn will also complicate the central bankers' ability to respond. Based on underlying inflation expectations, real interest rates are still above 2%. Central bankers often push short-term real rates to zero, or even below, in a downturn, suggesting there is plenty of room to cut, particularly since the housing glut means lower interest rates may pack less punch. But high oil prices and a falling dollar may preclude such an aggressive response, rising inflation expectations. Recession or not, America faces a tricky road .

Based on history alone, US was pretty good all alone with a great depression in the 30s, some recessions in 70s, less recessions in 80s and 90s and the most recent one (and the mildest one) being the recession of 2001. So, I can only see good things ahead for US economy despite its weak value against other currency (for example $1 = 1 canadian dollar).

U may be right here but I see the dollar as a big problem, btw imagine what would happen if the oil bussiness would not be in dollars, I mean thats a heck of amount of money that is spend and used in this field thus a strong powerup for the US currency=economy/inflation=deep shi...

Yeah, conclusion is:

Bright skies ahead if The Fed doesn't mess up and presidents don't mess up. The people are smart enough, so it's the government that has to be smart too.

You are right here. The only thing I dont understand is the Health system in America ....its a very smart system, for those who earn money from this

BTW sorry that i didnt quote it properly, but i dont know how to multiquote :s sry so i just put another style of fonts for ur part


btw i forgot to mention see this site http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/medicare/, some useful info there too

ohh my god hmmm i think we are going a little bit off topic here all in all its a election thread sooo ehmmm yeah i got one q hope somebodz knows are the candiadtes obligated to show who is financly supporting them? and if yes is it publicly available?
 
Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
* * *

Well, after watching the Iowa caucus and Barack Obama's speech, I have to say that if I can't have a Republican for President, I'd probably want Obama right now. I think any one of Democrats may end up ruining the country (sorry) but at least Obama would do it with class. :D It was amazing that Iowa (which is 97% white) actually gave Obama a victory. You can tell that Hillary is so, so pissed right now about it.

As for Huckabee winning for the Republicans, jury's still out because Iowa is also predominantly Christian and Mitt Romney's Mormon beliefs weren't going to fly over there.
 

mrcongojack

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
651
Reaction score
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
* * *

Well, after watching the Iowa caucus and Barack Obama's speech, I have to say that if I can't have a Republican for President, I'd probably want Obama right now. I think any one of Democrats may end up ruining the country (sorry) but at least Obama would do it with class. :D It was amazing that Iowa (which is 97% white) actually gave Obama a victory. You can tell that Hillary is so, so pissed right now about it.

As for Huckabee winning for the Republicans, jury's still out because Iowa is also predominantly Christian and Mitt Romney's Mormon beliefs weren't going to fly over there.
Well, none of them can bomb as much as the current president (recession, war with no end in sight, etc...) Of the Republican candidates, I think McCain is alright. He definitely has experience in politics, he actually served in the military, and he is willing to compromise. He is also rated as one of the most conservative senators. I think that if McCain had gotten the nomination back in 2000 and had won, this country would be in far better shape. I hope he does better in future polls, though. I don't much like Huckabee because he doesn't keep up with foreign policy, which is kind of important.

As for the Democrats, Barack is the best out of the frontrunners. Edwards doesn't seem like a strong enough politician (having lost the nomination last time around and losing Iowa even though he's been campaigning there practically since the last election). I don't trust Hillary, because a 60-year old woman should not have such blonde hair. C'mon, it should be grayed just slightly at the least. She always seems to be hiding something. While I have nothing against a woman president, having Bill Clinton as the "first laddy" is just too much too soon.

My first choice for the Democrat nom was Mike Gravel or Richardson. Gravel is an old statesman and an old school liberal, and I like that Richardson has diplomat experience. Alas, Gravel is as good as out. Richardson still has a chance, but I ain't holding my breath.
 

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
* * *

Well, after watching the Iowa caucus and Barack Obama's speech, I have to say that if I can't have a Republican for President, I'd probably want Obama right now. I think any one of Democrats may end up ruining the country (sorry) but at least Obama would do it with class. :D It was amazing that Iowa (which is 97% white) actually gave Obama a victory. You can tell that Hillary is so, so pissed right now about it.

As for Huckabee winning for the Republicans, jury's still out because Iowa is also predominantly Christian and Mitt Romney's Mormon beliefs weren't going to fly over there.
Well, none of them can bomb as much as the current president (recession, war with no end in sight, etc...) Of the Republican candidates, I think McCain is alright. He definitely has experience in politics, he actually served in the military, and he is willing to compromise. He is also rated as one of the most conservative senators. I think that if McCain had gotten the nomination back in 2000 and had won, this country would be in far better shape. I hope he does better in future polls, though. I don't much like Huckabee because he doesn't keep up with foreign policy, which is kind of important.

As for the Democrats, Barack is the best out of the frontrunners. Edwards doesn't seem like a strong enough politician (having lost the nomination last time around and losing Iowa even though he's been campaigning there practically since the last election). I don't trust Hillary, because a 60-year old woman should not have such blonde hair. C'mon, it should be grayed just slightly at the least. She always seems to be hiding something. While I have nothing against a woman president, having Bill Clinton as the "first laddy" is just too much too soon.

My first choice for the Democrat nom was Mike Gravel or Richardson. Gravel is an old statesman and an old school liberal, and I like that Richardson has diplomat experience. Alas, Gravel is as good as out. Richardson still has a chance, but I ain't holding my breath.
You guys are not very nice. :nono

I have no say in American politics but if I did, I would probably prefer Barack Obama for the Democrat frontrunner and Mike Huckabee for the Republican. Why? Their ideals are across-the-board. :D
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Politics are usually not very nice, but we're trying our best to tone it down, rest assured. I'm just expressing my amusement at what transpired, and also I was very impressed by Obama, even though I don't agree with a lot of what he wants to do. But at least he has leadership potential. (Coming from a Republican like me, that's saying a lot, btw.)

I could have said a lot worse about Hillary and I really, really wanted to. I still find some amusement out of how she's trying to catch up to Obama right now though, for example, she's now taking questions on Facebook because apparently Obama received a lot of confidence from kids on Facebook. Things are definitely not looking very good for Hillary right now. That was a very embarrassing result for her.

Huckabee seems a bit vague sometimes, so I'm not all that happy that he is our best candidate right now - Romney is actually a lot more polished - but oh well.
 
Last edited:

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Politics are usually not very nice, but we're trying our best to tone it down, rest assured. I'm just expressing my amusement at what transpired, and also I was very impressed by Obama, even though I don't agree with a lot of what he wants to do. But at least he has leadership potential. (Coming from a Republican like me, that's saying a lot, btw.)

I could have said a lot worse about Hillary and I really, really wanted to. I still find some amusement out of how she's trying to catch up to Obama right now though, for example, she's now taking questions on Facebook because apparently Obama received a lot of confidence from kids on Facebook. Things are definitely not looking very good for Hillary right now. That was a very embarrassing result for her.

Huckabee seems a bit vague sometimes, so I'm not all that happy that he is our best candidate right now - Romney is actually a lot more polished - but oh well.
If Hillary fails miserably, would like that be the icing of the cake for you? :blink
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Nah. If a Democrat wins, there is no icing on the cake for me. XDDD

Hillary cried today though. She would have NEVER cried unless her people told her to cry a little for the public. -________-
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
You never know, Phil. I wouldn't really make assumptions about that kind of thing. It's not like you know her right? And I'm not terribly surprised at Obama making out well so far. People really seem to like the guy. And when it all boils down, election is getting people to vote for you using whatever wiles you have. And as a democrat, I can back Obama on most of his stances. One of the few things I don't like about him is that he supports partial birth abortion, and I am against it. Or, that particular form of abortion, anyways. On many other issues, though, I share similar views. Personally, I think the republicans have done enough damage =p
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Specify 'damage,' Katy. :p That is, what the Democrats wouldn't have done either if they had been in the same position as President Bush.

It's not bad to be conservative in days like these. IMO most Democrats in office right now would still rather hand the country over to the enemies rather than actually defending it, from what I've seen of what they've done so far in Congress, their main concern is just trashing the Republicans, who are the ones trying to actually defend the country right now, despite whatever mistakes they may have made (but anybody makes mistakes, like the Democrats who, btw, presided during the Vietnam War).

And I think I know the first lady enough to know she's trying her best to win this thing, and she's going to use her feminine wiles to do so right now, because she doesn't have much else to fall on. XDDD She has NEVER cried once publicly, not even when her hubby was banging the chick in the Oval Office. She is turning this too much into just being about her, her lost opportunity to be the first Woman President, than what it really should be about: what she can do for the people. I've seen enough of her public appearances to know that she has the ability to appear strong whenever she wants to be, and personally I think she should have been in this case if she really wanted to put on the appearance of a strong, potential leader of the most powerful nation in the world. She's just blundering all over the place right now IMO.

Obama is going to win by a landslide at this point.

Anyway, I suppose events of late have started to get me into a nasty mood about the whole thing, so I guess I'd better stop posting again before I start just plain mud-slinging.

EDIT: I think the reason I'm aggravated right now is Obama is probably going to beat the Republican candidate by a landslide, too. I think I knew all along that a Democrat would win, it's just starting to hit me right now. Say hello to President Obama. You heard it here first. ;) You want the government to control your life, you're gonna get it.
 
Last edited:

lordHokage

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
4,697
Reaction score
421
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
The New Hampshire Primary is soooo exciting, history is about to be made. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top