Discussion Unpopular Opinions

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Maybe you just want to mention what SAO really does on the surface. But if you look at the bigger picture you'll notice that online behaviour is translated into offline behaviour and the other way around (see trends and try to understand how the psychology of cyberspace actually works).

My advice ~when analysing the story, take a look at all the factors involved, not only at romance/wetdreams/whatnot.
Again, if SAO actually had that as a theme, i would have liked it, even if the execution were bad but it did not. It uses a pretentious frame (do you say that in English?) to glut the audience with fanservice. You are basically holding onto that concept of SAO depicting cyberspace psychology because that is what interests you the most apparently but honestly, that´s like a tiny part of what SAO really is. Of course you can argue that everyone is taking what they want from the story but that does not change the fact that the depth in SAO is just not there, at least not in the anime and if we can trust Doraku´s words, in the light novel neither. If you really want a story that depicts the topic you are talking about, watch hack//Sign. .hack is a good contrast to SAO because it shares the basic premise ('can't log out of a MMO') but there's no silly fights, no campy wish-fulfillment pining or shameless self-insert, but real drama with mystery. There's also a legit romance and solid, gradual character development. There are themes and ideas explored throughout the story and a genuine, deplorable villain.
Then again, i am not claiming that SAO is that bad, it is basically just mediocre and thus does not deserve the praise and success it got.
 

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Though I enjoyed Code Geass, I absolutely despised Lelouch.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I couldn't get into Blade of the immortal ( And I tried two times ). After 5 volumes, the girl is kinda annoying and I don't know if she is meant to fight or just be a damsel in distress. The hero mainly wins because he is immortal and can stab is enemy in the back. I probably should give it more time given the unanimous acclaim the serie has but I prefer spend it with series that hook me from the start for the moment.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm gonna call it and say One Piece is totally overrated. Without a doubt a good manga but it's massive success was always beyond me and I still can't understand what makes it so much better than other series.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Minato is a great character, but Kishi messed up by making him look so perfect or good, and by changing Minato from not being able to do much against Tobi to making Tobi retreat, as much as I loved seeing Minato own. Made Minato even more overrated.

Feels like Ichigo's powerups and etc are asspulls to make him stronger, like Quincy and etc.
 

hoeru

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
1,558
Reaction score
705
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mauritius
I know I should be grateful of some sort, but nowadays I think Manga Editors are way too much of themselves. Bad translations but still they're watermarking... Fuck them.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I know I should be grateful of some sort, but nowadays I think Manga Editors are way too much of themselves. Bad translations but still they're watermarking... Fuck them.
That is nothing. I remember the old flame wars between HQ groups and speed scanners a few years ago.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I know I should be grateful of some sort, but nowadays I think Manga Editors are way too much of themselves. Bad translations but still they're watermarking... Fuck them.
If you are talking about the Manga Editor who provides a fast release of the big 3, there is a company behind it that makes money out of it, so no need to feel guilty^^
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I remember HQ vs. speed. Speedy translation tended to be bad while HQ had very good translation. But it's because of better translators.

Forgot why they started watermarking but I guess Manga Editors got annoyed with their superior scans being stolen without credit.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,759
Reaction score
26,068
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You're right about that. Some of the said scan groups did not want their release to be hosted on external sites. Therefore had them watermarked.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I couldn't get into Blade of the immortal ( And I tried two times ). After 5 volumes, the girl is kinda annoying and I don't know if she is meant to fight or just be a damsel in distress. The hero mainly wins because he is immortal and can stab is enemy in the back. I probably should give it more time given the unanimous acclaim the serie has but I prefer spend it with series that hook me from the start for the moment.
Blade of the Immortal is about the role of violence in society. Not just physical violence, but psychological violence. Violence in the family, warfare, law enforcement, medicine, and the state are all examined. Rin is not meant to fight, and she is not a damsel in distress. She is a 16 year old girl, with no combat training. That is the reason she hires Manji. She is there to ask the hard questions. This becomes more clear as the story progresses, she develops into an incredibly complex character.

Blade of the Immortal is not a fighting manga. It's a morality tale. The outcome of the fights in the first arc (volume 1 - 5) are not meant to generate any suspense. The dialog is meant to establish the philosophical foundation of the story, and lead to Anotsu. The nature of the fights change once Anotsu, Magatsu, and Makie are introduced. Things change even more once the Mugai-Ryuu are introduced, which shifts the battle lines dramatically. Action in Blade of the Immortal, like Berserk and Vagabond, can not be appreciated in the same way as they are in action-shounen. Their purpose within the plot is much different. Thinking of them the same way sells both short. Different things being done for different reasons, meant to be appreciated in different ways,
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's not a question that it does not follow a shounen scenario. It's not like I read only that. It is just that I have no appeal with the 2 main characters and I feel like I'm forced reading the story just because others say it is good.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Actually, I see your point. For me it changed with volume 10, I think. Basically Anotsu's arc. That's when I got sucked in and couldn't stop reading.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Actually, I see your point. For me it changed with volume 10, I think. Basically Anotsu's arc. That's when I got sucked in and couldn't stop reading.
The Mugai-ryuu are what really sucked me in. Shiro was such an evil bastard. The way he killed people is almost unprintable. The story really starts to develop when they are introduced.
 

Tiamat

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
In my opinion Yachiru is more scary than Zaraki, afterall childs are very "dreadful" :teehee
 

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not exactly manga related, but...

I'm acctually one of those people who acctually DOESN'T like Railgun more than Index. Hell, I like Index alot more really, caring little for railgun and only keeping tabs on the manga.

Really I suppose its just a matter of taste, Its not like I think in theory and talking about it railgun is a bad series, but I just get bored of railgun pretty easily. Even though index is far, and I mean FAR from being a masterpiece of anysort, I acctually enjoyed myself which to me is the most important aspect of any series regardless of how good it is.
 
Last edited:

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
Well, since we can say what we think. I'm gonna say it even though I know everyone will attack me...with fire.

Berserk and Bleach are the most overrated Mangas in history. Even though the latter is completely horrible and the former is decent at best.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Why would you say Berserk is overrated? Is it overrated, or just not to your taste? It is always nice when people share the reason behind an opinion, it makes for much more pleasant conversation.

I daresay Bleach is not overrated. I can not think of a manga that generates more widespread criticism. Even Naruto is held in higher regard. Everyone takes shots at Bleach, except maybe it's core fanbase.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
I'm not saying that Berserk is bad, I actually tend to enjoy reading it. But everywhere I go, there is always that one guy who's like "BERSERK IS TEH BEST MANGA EVA" or "GATZ IS DE MOST BADASS CHARACTER EVA." The reason I said it's overrated is because most of it's fans aren't just satisfied with saying it's good, but they always say it's "teh best manga in history."

Now that I think about it, you may be right about Bleach. I've already seen several people complaining about it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's more about the fandom than the manga. I can see what you mean though. Every manga has some fans like that, Berserk fandom seems to have an unusually large number. It's hard to completely blame them, it is a classic and deserves much of the praise. That uncritical element of fandom can get very annoying though, especially when they are that vocal. I actually put off reading Berserk for a long time because of it. I got tired of hearing how great it was before I even had a chance to read it.

Everyone complains about Bleach. Betcha nobody even tries to defend it.
 
Last edited:
Top