Discussion Unpopular Opinions

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
I got tired of hearing how great it was before I even had a chance to read it.
Funny. I had the exact same problem.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm not saying that Berserk is bad, I actually tend to enjoy reading it. But everywhere I go, there is always that one guy who's like "BERSERK IS TEH BEST MANGA EVA" or "GATZ IS DE MOST BADASS CHARACTER EVA." The reason I said it's overrated is because most of it's fans aren't just satisfied with saying it's good, but they always say it's "teh best manga in history."

Now that I think about it, you may be right about Bleach. I've already seen several people complaining about it.
Honestly, i know it is not easy but you can not let other people´s statements influence your perception of a series, no matter which media form. I know that is something impossible to actually achieve but i try as much as i can to avoid biased views. Especially a fan community of a series is not the best source for a truthful rating. If you have in mind that some people call a certain series "the best of all time", then it is actually quite hard to impress you.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,087
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmm - regarding Beserk, I saw the anime and skipped head with wiki. Totally got spoiled several years back.
Caused me to lose interest in it. Although it being a classic and apparently a 'great' read is a common sentiment.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
Honestly, i know it is not easy but you can not let other people´s statements influence your perception of a series, no matter which media form. I know that is something impossible to actually achieve but i try as much as i can to avoid biased views. Especially a fan community of a series is not the best source for a truthful rating. If you have in mind that some people call a certain series "the best of all time", then it is actually quite hard to impress you.
Berserk fanbase is especially irritating. For example, a One piece fan can tell you that Naruto is good but One piece is better or vice-versa. And among OP and Naruto fans, few boast being fans of the best series of all time.

But Berserk fans, oh god have mercy. Every single fan I've met of this series (so far) claims it to be the greatest Manga in history (as if such a manga even exist.) And if you so much try to disagree, they always say "You're a (insert popular Shounen title) 'tard."
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Berserk the greatest manga in history? I might become hated but i'll say it.

I've heard of Berserk for years and years... But i was too lazy to catch up, so many chapters to catch up and i was really not going to waste time on catching up. But then i decided to start it and trust me, the story might have been pretty good for the first 50 chapters and i was really enjoying it but then it came to a point where it was too repetitive and Gats was always winning or barely escaped death against strong enemies. And that wasn't happening once or twice, it was practically the same plot for every fights, 10/20 chapters of fight and then he would either win or lose (but he would still not die) and from time to time, some mysteries were revealed or solved.

Then i realized that it was all hype, the beggining was excellent but then like i mentionned before it got repetitive so i dropped it.

I still hear people calling it the greatest manga ever and it got first place on MAL which is totally astonishing. I wonder how the hell did people manage to continue reading it, i was getting tired at around chapter 250 and i was trying so hard to finish it just to see where it would get amazing but it never did. I applaud the people that managed to read all the chapters.

As for SAO, the main concept was good (joining a game) but there were too many illogical stuffs. It's sad because the animation and songs were really great.
The most annoying thing was for sure the love between cousins lol.
The plot could have been way better but i feel like it was centered on love...
 
Last edited:

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Frequent another forum, came across a thread where people could share their opinions that aren't popular. Thus, this thread is for sharing opinions that aren't popular.

Saying Fullmetal Alchemist is an awesome manga is incorrect here as I'm sure tons of people agree with you. However, saying FMA was bad is correct usage of this thread, as I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion. For the record, I think it's a great manga.

And remember to not get butthurt, it's all opinions after all. Let me start this off:


In terms of character, Sasuke is superior to Naruto as he's more complex now. Naruto was complex in Part I, but now he's about peace.

Dragon Ball Z is overrated. It started out decent but got worse, and I have no idea why people praise it. Dragon Ball was easily superior. I'm sure we'll see Naruto Part II be praised as being better, sadly.

dbz was not overrated!!! I will not let you crush my childhood romance!!!!
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
dbz was not overrated!!! I will not let you crush my childhood romance!!!!
DBZ is ridiculously overrated. It's impact on the manga industry and the international market is another thing, but the manga itself is not as good as it's made out to be. I re-read it recently just to make sure and yeah. Nothing special. Maybe for it's time, yes. But there are many Shonen that developed the concept and are better.
Not trying to disrespect Toriyama, though. I don't think he was even trying to make it great in the end. He was just riding the wave.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,087
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@ Nats J

Check out the .hack series's. No romance per-se or non at all regarding that but it explores the same issues.
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I find Dragon Ball to be a vastly superior story to Dragon Ball Z, though I read and watched DBZ first. There was more to Dragon Ball than just fighting and screaming like someone who overdosed on steroids.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Wow, nice thread!:clap

Hmm...there are some things I agree with absolutely, like the SAO being way too overrated and shallow, and I like Near and Mello more too...however I do have to say something about FMA and Berserk...I think the quality of writing gives their respective fandoms the idea that it is the Best manga in history or that it's the best shounen or best seinen...now it's to be noted that the areas in which these 2 excel are different in my opinion...for Berserk the themes of the manga and how they are presented is what's really good, and for FMA it's the careful writing of the story...for example I have never felt that arcs in FMA were separate from each other, I always got hints, glimpses or outright events that connected all parts of the story...in short, there was not one filler arc...

Anyways...I'd like to give a shoutout to Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann series, especially the 2nd season....many ideas were really good, but just as with SAO, the execution wasn't to my liking, and I think it was too shallow...I think the fans of the series are mesmerized and shocked by one particular event at the beginning, and that influences their hype
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
I think the main asset that DB had over DBZ was the plot. DBZ was mostly about new enemies popping up every time and Goku and co. trying to fight it whereas DB did have at least some kind of ''plot'' and wasn't as repetitive as DBZ.

One of the main reason DBZ is so overated is because people started DB/DBZ at such a young age and what did 9-15 years old liked back then? FIGHTS, FIGHTS AND EPIC FIGHTS (including me). It was one of the first anime that most of us watched without knowing it was an anime and then we discovered other animes along the way.

But the first is always the one that people remember. And i'm pretty sure if i watched it again, i would be really criticizing it but i would still smile and laugh because it would remind me of those good times.

Who doesn't remember Goku doing Kamehameha's, Toriyama was a genius at entertaining us back then and i thank him for that. DB/DBZ wasn't aimed at a mature audience and this is the reason why we're saying it's overrated. It might be overrated for us but I'm pretty sure if a 12 year old happens to discover this show tonight, he would enjoy it as much as we did!

@ Nats J

Check out the .hack series's. No romance per-se or non at all regarding that but it explores the same issues.
Yeah i've heard of this as well but the reviews were pretty harsh and the visuals didn't attract me much. But i might give it a try, do you really think it's worth watching?

Btw it's Nast J not Nats J :bnah
 
Last edited:

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,087
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There is also the premise & underlaying explored or non explored concepts in some series such as SAO.
Which draws you in. I thought the light novels protrayed some of these overtures better and with a better story flow.
These are comon in manga/ novel crossovers to anime espe ially ones with complicated subject matters going from VR to real life for example.They just wont be able to capture the full essence of the sources work.
SAO - wasnt too bad in that regard.
 

REN KOUEN

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
5,480
Reaction score
1,292
Gender
Male
Country
United States
DBZ is ridiculously overrated. It's impact on the manga industry and the international market is another thing, but the manga itself is not as good as it's made out to be. I re-read it recently just to make sure and yeah. Nothing special. Maybe for it's time, yes. But there are many Shonen that developed the concept and are better.
Not trying to disrespect Toriyama, though. I don't think he was even trying to make it great in the end. He was just riding the wave.
i was just messing with m3j

look i have always said dragonball and dbz is one of the only situations where the anime is actually better than the manga

but the manga was still very good, of course i respect your opinion, as you probably possess a more vast knowledge of manga than myself

of the shounen manga i have read

only one piece and maybe bleach
are better than the db manga, but i havent read that many titles in their entirety
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,087
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah i've heard of this as well but the reviews were pretty harsh and the visuals didn't attract me much. But i might give it a try, do you really think it's worth watching?

Btw it's Nast J not Nats J :bnah
Its worth a try - although there quite a few versions / sequals start out with the first one .hack //sign. See if you take to it, it has the SAO moments minus the parts you didn't like in SAO. The artwork was pretty good as I recall.
 
Last edited:

apellon

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
84
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Berserk the greatest manga in history? I might become hated but i'll say it.

Then i realized that it was all hype, the beggining was excellent but then like i mentionned before it got repetitive so i dropped it.

.
well said, berserk is good , but it doesnt deserves to be number one on MAL ...
i would say that the same goes for : Monsters and Fate zero ...
but coming from a website that doesnt even got Tower Of god in their database , i find it not suprising ... i guess we cant trust much those ratings ...

the biggest issue to me is that it feels like there isnt a real back bone to the story ...
after a while it feels like they :
- drop little more powerful bad guy
- make up some lame story about how its possible for them to be there
- make up a story on how they are somehow connected
- start a new arch ...

thats what happened with bleach and why it became kind of lame lately ... ( and fairytail seems to be heading that direction???? )

now you have to give it to berserk that it s one of the father of this genre and i m never gonna say that s it s a bad manga... i just think i ll have more fun reading hxh for example , but berserk is nontheless epic.

it s a shame.... it s something that you almost dont see in , for example, Full metal alchemist, and i think that's why FMA is superior....
but to be honnest though ,i ve never read FMA ... after watching the anime I never felt the desire to read it after that... i guess its one of the best anime ive seen ..
if you liked FMA i would suggest : Last exile
its very underrated , and its probably one of the best quality stuff out there also.


And DBZ was amazing .... but yea.. its overrated ... still it was pretty awesome , good memories .. lay there in the coach and listen to a kamehamea sound , just before watching some saint seiya just after coming back from school with a nice rectangular yellow back pack , bigger than myself. XD
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
i was just messing with m3j

look i have always said dragonball and dbz is one of the only situations where the anime is actually better than the manga

but the manga was still very good, of course i respect your opinion, as you probably possess a more vast knowledge of manga than myself

of the shounen manga i have read

only one piece and maybe bleach
are better than the db manga, but i havent read that many titles in their entirety
Actually, DBZ and Naruto anime are why I stopped watching anime and have strong dislike of it. Manga is much better. There's no five chapters of peopel screaming to get power or whatnot.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Actually, DBZ and Naruto anime are why I stopped watching anime and have strong dislike of it. Manga is much better. There's no five chapters of peopel screaming to get power or whatnot.
Easy solution: don't watch anime based on 400+ chapter shounen manga. Avoid Toriko, Conan, and One Piece at all costs and you're good.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I can't stand hearing about DBZ. I stopped caring how much it influenced other manga after hearing it for the 10,000th time. And every time someone says it, they say it as if it has never been said before. I don't even like DBZ. I nearly pissed myself laughing when I first saw it, it was such a corny anime. I'm not sure if that's a popular opinion, or unpopular :p

Dr. Slump was better, anyway.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
1. I don't understand the big fuss over fillers in anime. Obviously it's a bad thing if the characters act OOC or if a concept is introduced that makes no logical sense; however, there are times when fillers develop a character or expand on something else that the original material hasn't been able to cover. I've seen quite a number of good ones, and it's sad that people will dismiss it automatically if it's not canon. (Thinking about Reborn's two filler arcs that were well-written.)

2. While I enjoyed reading Death Note, it's kind of pretentious when I think about it now.
 
Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
1. I don't understand the big fuss over fillers in anime. Obviously it's a bad thing if the characters act OOC or if a concept is introduced that makes no logical sense; however, there are times when fillers develop a character or expand on something else that the original material hasn't been able to cover. I've seen quite a number of good ones, and it's sad that people will dismiss it automatically if it's not canon. (Thinking about Reborn's two filler arcs that were well-written.)

2. While I enjoyed reading Death Note, it's kind of pretentious when I think about it now.
1.) Well, you can´t really project the well done filler in Reborn (i have no idea about Reborn) on other animes. Filler, in most cases, have a ridiculous storyline, show the protagonists acting out of character and sometimes even contradict with the canon stuff.

2.) Interesting, why do you think so?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
1. I don't understand the big fuss over fillers in anime. Obviously it's a bad thing if the characters act OOC or if a concept is introduced that makes no logical sense; however, there are times when fillers develop a character or expand on something else that the original material hasn't been able to cover. I've seen quite a number of good ones, and it's sad that people will dismiss it automatically if it's not canon. (Thinking about Reborn's two filler arcs that were well-written.)
To me, it depends on the filler. I don't mind some changes from the source material. I actually was going to post about that here. The only line I draw is wholesale changes, like with the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime. I don't watch anime anymore that require entire filler arc, and no longer have a strong opinion about that. In retrospect the Bounto arc, the first Bleach anime filler, was better than a lot of what has come since in the manga. It certainly was better than Fullbring, and the Quincy War. Arguably it was better than anything since Ichigo defeated Grimmjow.

2. While I enjoyed reading Death Note, it's kind of pretentious when I think about it now.
A highly overrated manga. At some point it got ridiculous how L and Light were one upping each other. "You may think you know what I am thinking but I am only letting you think you know when I really am thinking about doing something you never thought I would."
 
Top