Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

it is truly an amazing manga, unfortunately i am stuck somewhere in volume 23 seeing as i havent had a ton of time to use the computer or have opted to hang out with people instead.
 

Siedhr

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
38
Age
47
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

"kills Neo"
I think you know why. :notrust

And Kunai jutsu, looking forward to all you have to say.
 

MexicanHatPopCornCharlie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

kunai jutsu said:
Well, really? I'm gonna go out for the meantime, when I do get back I'll say what I have to say with this amazing amazing manga.


You should try to read the book. Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa the book since Vagabond is based on it :P but they changed alot of stuff most noticeably
making Kojiro deaf
 

white silver

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
2,350
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

Although I mentioned I'll say a lot about Vagabond, it's getting really late and I'll just say what I have to say:

It's not the first time I've heard of the manga Vagabond. After a while here in MH, I've heard of it quite a few times, some people like Siedhr have Vagabond signatures and to be honest, when I saw the artwork, I was like "Man, that doesn't look comical, I don't wanna read it, bla bla bla". After being up-to-date with One Piece, Naruto and Bleach (my main mangas), I felt quite bored, so I hooked up to #lurk and downloaded some of the mangas, here and there. I finished Rurouni Kenshin, got some Mr. Fullswing mangas, etc. Then for some reason, I just typed "Vagabond", I don't know why but I just had to see it.

When I read the first chapter, I was like WOW! This manga is probably the most original since Akira Toriyama. It was just so detailed and it just protrayed Japan in the 1500s just so perfectly. The fights were just so realistic, unlike most comical mangas (characters disappear here and there, the good guy takes off 10 people in one go, etc). *A little nudity here and there* and at the end of the chapter, I just found out it was book was based on the story Musashi. And the main character was called Takezo, so I assumed that the story of Takezo would be similar to Musashi and not become the legend himself.

About Musashi

Well, I've heard his name a few times here and there and the things I know of him are: Double-sworded dude, Bad-ass Samurai and the greatest one of all, and he's an inspiration to the legend Sosai Oyama (Kyokushinkai Karate Founder). If the real story actually portrayed him as a wild Vagabond like what this manga does, it would've been real interesting. Or is he? I don't know.

Because I actually skimmed through the manga (impatient dude). I may have forgotten some of the story and characters. But I do remember that guy, Matahachi. Well, after seeing his character I just felt like beating him to a pulp. I especially loved that part, and it was so funny that the some of the samurai had to hit his right eye just to compare to the wanted poster. I just couldn't stop holding my laughter, considering the tone of this story is dead serious and violent.

I've never been interested in the side-characters of the story since Shenmue. If you played that game, you'd know what I'm talking about. Who are these people, and what story revolves around them. They really didn't last long against Musashi. And man I just really enjoyed the fight between him and Inshun. I was really surprised Musashi actually felt fear. Not unlike most Protagonists where they keep their cool 24/7 and regardless of how strong the enemy. Very realistic, again. The training helped him to grow and I actually felt him grow as he learns the way of the sword.

Sasaki Kojiro

At first I thought this guy was the one who died before giving the certificate to Matahachi. And I really thought that Matahachi would grow to use the name Sasaki to be the arch-rival of Musashi. It's like that right? "Best Friends become Arch-enemy" type of situation. Guess I was so wrong. Knowing Matahachi, he'd probably die one way or another. As much as I would like to see him go, I think he's quite important to the story as well. Back to Sasaki Kojiro, man he really has it in him. And he seemed to be a lot more deadlier than Musashi (no kidding). Such an innocent looking face with a skill that can match a demon of killers. Really now, I'd really be so happy to see them face off. Well they did (with sticks). It's strange how a guy like Musashi has time to make Snowmen. Maybe he'd do a snow angel too (that would've been funny). Back to the story. Sasaki Kojiro's story is just as interesting as Musashi, it was pretty short, but his fights were very enjoyable, he created a few moves on the way, so it made me think, gosh so this is how we get moves within Martial Arts.

Well, Inoue's artwork is just so amazing and it's quite boring to wait for October for him to start again. I'd bet anything that this would be the most difficult manga to clean. It's just to detailed and even for a Viz manga (I actually liked the translation considering the horrible ones done for Naruto). I think I might buy this manga (if it does ever release in my territory). This manga is very very different than most manga and it's more of a biographical rather than a fictional story. Although I can say the events are not really true or near to be true, I can say that he actually fought these warriors, from the Inshun to Sasaki. I mean their history was mentioned at the end of the book, I don't know. If anybody could find me a link of the orignal novel Musashi (maybe I'll buy it online) I'd be so happy if you would send it.

Well that's about it. This is a most DEFINITE read for mangafans and MangaHelpers.
 

Boss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

kunai jutsu said:
Although I mentioned I'll say a lot about Vagabond, it's getting really late and I'll just say what I have to say:

It's not the first time I've heard of the manga Vagabond. After a while here in MH, I've heard of it quite a few times, some people like Siedhr have Vagabond signatures and to be honest, when I saw the artwork, I was like "Man, that doesn't look comical, I don't wanna read it, bla bla bla". After being up-to-date with One Piece, Naruto and Bleach (my main mangas), I felt quite bored, so I hooked up to #lurk and downloaded some of the mangas, here and there. I finished Rurouni Kenshin, got some Mr. Fullswing mangas, etc. Then for some reason, I just typed "Vagabond", I don't know why but I just had to see it.

When I read the first chapter, I was like WOW! This manga is probably the most original since Akira Toriyama. It was just so detailed and it just protrayed Japan in the 1500s just so perfectly. The fights were just so realistic, unlike most comical mangas (characters disappear here and there, the good guy takes off 10 people in one go, etc). *A little nudity here and there* and at the end of the chapter, I just found out it was book was based on the story Musashi. And the main character was called Takezo, so I assumed that the story of Takezo would be similar to Musashi and not become the legend himself.

About Musashi

Well, I've heard his name a few times here and there and the things I know of him are: Double-sworded dude, Bad-ass Samurai and the greatest one of all, and he's an inspiration to the legend Sosai Oyama (Kyokushinkai Karate Founder). If the real story actually portrayed him as a wild Vagabond like what this manga does, it would've been real interesting. Or is he? I don't know.

Because I actually skimmed through the manga (impatient dude). I may have forgotten some of the story and characters. But I do remember that guy, Matahachi. Well, after seeing his character I just felt like beating him to a pulp. I especially loved that part, and it was so funny that the some of the samurai had to hit his right eye just to compare to the wanted poster. I just couldn't stop holding my laughter, considering the tone of this story is dead serious and violent.

I've never been interested in the side-characters of the story since Shenmue. If you played that game, you'd know what I'm talking about. Who are these people, and what story revolves around them. They really didn't last long against Musashi. And man I just really enjoyed the fight between him and Inshun. I was really surprised Musashi actually felt fear. Not unlike most Protagonists where they keep their cool 24/7 and regardless of how strong the enemy. Very realistic, again. The training helped him to grow and I actually felt him grow as he learns the way of the sword.

Sasaki Kojiro

At first I thought this guy was the one who died before giving the certificate to Matahachi. And I really thought that Matahachi would grow to use the name Sasaki to be the arch-rival of Musashi. It's like that right? "Best Friends become Arch-enemy" type of situation. Guess I was so wrong. Knowing Matahachi, he'd probably die one way or another. As much as I would like to see him go, I think he's quite important to the story as well. Back to Sasaki Kojiro, man he really has it in him. And he seemed to be a lot more deadlier than Musashi (no kidding). Such an innocent looking face with a skill that can match a demon of killers. Really now, I'd really be so happy to see them face off. Well they did (with sticks). It's strange how a guy like Musashi has time to make Snowmen. Maybe he'd do a snow angel too (that would've been funny). Back to the story. Sasaki Kojiro's story is just as interesting as Musashi, it was pretty short, but his fights were very enjoyable, he created a few moves on the way, so it made me think, gosh so this is how we get moves within Martial Arts.

Well, Inoue's artwork is just so amazing and it's quite boring to wait for October for him to start again. I'd bet anything that this would be the most difficult manga to clean. It's just to detailed and even for a Viz manga (I actually liked the translation considering the horrible ones done for Naruto). I think I might buy this manga (if it does ever release in my territory). This manga is very very different than most manga and it's more of a biographical rather than a fictional story. Although I can say the events are not really true or near to be true, I can say that he actually fought these warriors, from the Inshun to Sasaki. I mean their history was mentioned at the end of the book, I don't know. If anybody could find me a link of the orignal novel Musashi (maybe I'll buy it online) I'd be so happy if you would send it.

Well that's about it. This is a most DEFINITE read for mangafans and MangaHelpers.

Your damn right Kunai lol, this is one of the best mangas ever, and if Takehiko didn't take as many breaks it would be awesome and so much longer lol. I had the same feelings about the manga you did when I first read it, my friend showed me a cover page and told me to read it, but I didn't think it looked like a true comic/manga, and didn't read it. However, when I caught up on Naruto, Bleach, Hajime no Ippo, and Eyeshield 21 (which are my main weekly mangas lol) I read all of Chobits, GTO, and GetBackers. I was pretty bored so I asked him to make me a disk and I read up to vol 20 in a week. Truly great, the perfect art and interesting characters drag you into it. The characters run into each other at the perfect time to make the story get more and more interesting and deeper. Other than Hajime no Ippo, this is undoubtably my fav... I use to like Bleach but you know it and Naruto were getting kind of slow (even tho it's picking up now).

Already can't wait for vol 25 in october lols
 

white silver

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
2,350
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

Thanks, gosh I really wish to know what happens to Musashi now.
 

Boss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

man this sucks. I am so tired of Takehiko and his breaks. I wonder if they are using the breaks just to prolong the continuation, rather then him just needing a break. I have not read Musashi but I wonder how long it is, and how much longer the manga has to go before it ends. hopefully it still has a long ass time lmao
 

Siedhr

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
38
Age
47
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

The novel is really long. The manga is about 1/4 the way till the end, a loong way. That is if Inoue decides to go on only until
the fight at Ganryujima
, or if he wants to follow Musashi's life until he dies.
 

Boss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2006
Messages
127
Reaction score
1
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

wow i hope its til he dies, this is my fav manga and thx for the info, its always good to know there's a way to go b4 the finish
 

mlandry

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Somaliland
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

heh i hate when authors take such long breaks like this... it ruined HxH for me (although that guy actually had a good reason to stop, its still annoying for the fans... actually i wonder if this manga is ever gonna get continued) . I know PoT took a break too (or at least i seem to remember reading something like that..)
 

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

Its only for a month. HxH has been on hiatus for months and it annoys the shit out of me. I just wish we could find out what is going on with the mangaka, but i guess that's just how it is
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

NeoShweaty said:
Its only for a month. HxH has been on hiatus for months and it annoys the shit out of me. I just wish we could find out what is going on with the mangaka, but i guess that's just how it is
The break for HxH should have stopped months ago, march maybe, at least that was announced on Shounen.
 

MexicanHatPopCornCharlie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Re: Vagabond Discussion Thread

MexicanHatPopCornCharlie said:
You should try to read the book. Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa the book since Vagabond is based on it :P but they changed alot of stuff most noticeably
making Kojiro deaf

With the whole Matahachi someone from this topic pointed out long ago that his there to show the contrast between someone "doing it" and someone who just "dreams of doing it" thats the huge contrast right there.

About Mas Oyama :) I read his biograpy on the web and it said when he went to train in the mountains( besides fighting bulls lol) he brang the Musashi book!! and he went to the exact same mountain Musashi went to! I've read numerous stories about Mas Oyama and they're all very supernatural but if he killed bulls then yeah they don't seem that far fetched anymore.

With the whole Musashi vs Kojiro thing I'm pretty sure it happens once Musashi defeats Denchiro as I can't remember Musashi fighting anyone else in the book after that. Unless Musashi bumps into Hyogo ? or that guy who claimed to be the greatest martial artist on earth.
 

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
7,348
Reaction score
11
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Inoue (good and bad) Vagabond news

T_____________________T

*cries more*

Goddamn it.

I started reading this two days ago, and now I won't be able to read this until October. XD Oh well. It'll be a good Birthday present ><

I can't wait for the illustration book though. Will anyone scan them for us? :wtf
 

zenx

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

MexicanHatPopCornCharlie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Musashi(The Epic Japanese Drama)

I'm not sure if it goes here but it is related to Vagabond and since we're all Vagabond fans I thought I'd share this url.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CeqrPrjgY

So far nearly 5 full episodes have been uploaded. I'm pretty sure the person is going to upload them all. Theres around 50 something episodes which goes to show how epic this drama is. There is also subtitles so yeah guys check it out :p
 

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Musashi(The Epic Japanese Drama)

I saw episode 1-1. It has a good feel to it. I need to see about seeing more.
 

Siedhr

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
38
Age
47
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: Musashi(The Epic Japanese Drama)

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely watch it. I need to get my Vagabond fix somehow. :tem
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Vagabond Edited Manga Discussion

Alright, alright, alright. Good news and bad news, everyone.

Bad news.

No Vagabond this week.

Good news.

VAGABOND NEXT WEEK. The next chapter, chapter 216 comes out in Morning Magazine next week. Hooray new Vagabond. Rejoice.


Preview image on the MORNING page.
 
Top