Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I know, Kaiten, but I can't read that.
Actually it doesn't give that much information that's relevant. It doesn't say how many people actually send in their postcards to vote and influence the ToC positions. This information dates back to around March 2010 so it's a little outdated, though.

Total circulation: 2.85 million
% male readers: 79.8%
% female readers: 20.2%

Readers by age group
9 and below: 5.1%
10-12: 25.9%
13-15: 37.1%
16-18: 21.4%
19-24: 7.0%
25 and above: 3.5%

Total sales of the top 10 Jump series
One Piece 186.50 million
Dragon Ball 152.22 million
Kochikame 141.94 million
Slam Dunk 116.76 million
Naruto 98.41 million
Bleach 63.84 million
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 59.24 million
Rurouni Kenshin 51.31 million
Hunter x Hunter 50.33 million
Prince of Tennis 43.78 million

For the top 4 series on this list, on average every person in Japan would have at least one tankoubon in their possession, based on these total figures.

I assume no one cares about the income ranges of the readers, nor the breakdown of how they spend their income, nor the percentage of readers from each area of Japan, nor which gaming platforms they own... If anyone is, just say the word...
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
http://www.ytv.co.jp/beelze/

Beelze anime site up. Although I'm really surprised to see that this will air on YTV. That place is like Shounen Sunday central. Inuyasha, Kekkaishi, and Conan to name a few. (Also two of those were drawn by Sunrise...) It also cements my thought that Beelze may not be very long. (13-24 eps.) Anyway, there isn't much there now, although as January draws closer we should know some more.

Anyone find anything about OP's and ED's? I wonder if Sony music will get this, or will it be avex?
 

endlessabyss

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Are any of these manga continuing or are they oneshots as well?

- Youkai Gakkyuu Rock Rock Be!!!
- God Cooking Gourmet Ryourikyou!
- Golem a Go! Go!
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
http://www.ytv.co.jp/beelze/

Beelze anime site up. Although I'm really surprised to see that this will air on YTV. That place is like Shounen Sunday central. Inuyasha, Kekkaishi, and Conan to name a few. (Also two of those were drawn by Sunrise...) It also cements my thought that Beelze may not be very long. (13-24 eps.) Anyway, there isn't much there now, although as January draws closer we should know some more.

Anyone find anything about OP's and ED's? I wonder if Sony music will get this, or will it be avex?
I'm assuming that since this is Studio Pierrot we're talking about, they'll keep animating it if it stays popular. I don't think they've stopped early in a series since Flame of Recca(I assume they'll keep dividing Tegami Bachi into seasons). Plus if they had an idea of a specific episode count, I think they'd have said something about it by now. At the very least the series should pass 26 episodes, though I'd prefer it to run till' the manga's completion.

As far as openings go, I'm hoping for some awesome rock openings like what Bleach has(the music is the only real redeeming feature to the series). Beelzebub is a battle manga in addition to it's comedy so it should work...
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Bottom 5 posted by One Piece Spoilergod T...

WSJ #2/11:
Kuroko no Basket
Nurarihyon no Mago
Oumagadoki Doubutsuen
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Light Wing

Preview for the double issue (#3-4/11):
Lead color for Toriko
Color for Katekyo Hitman REBORN! and a Oneshot
Extra pages (23p) for Oumagadoki Doubutsuen, Nurarihyon no Mago and Kuroko no Basket
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is a bottom 5 I can live with. Nothing to complain about but Kuroko had quite a crash after that high ranking not too long ago. May have a mini-slump but ultimately will bounce back. Mago struggles for a 2nd week and this next round of cuts could be interesting.

But this is a sad reminder that those dreaded double issues are upon us again.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
sad to see Mago low, but I guess extra pages will make up for it.
Doubutsuen looked dangerous, but getting extra pages probably means it still has hopes.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I weep for Mago being in the bottom 5 another week :scry

Extra pages is good, I really hope the new arc/chapter of the story that begins along with it is better received.

I wonder if Jump giving Oumagadoki extra pages is some kind of last resort promotion before the next cancellation period. I'm not all caught up, but the current arc is good and I wish this manga would be better received too... Guess Jump's readers just aren't too receptive to something that's different from the norm :s
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I don't think Oumagadoki going to end on next cancellation period. Two series already ended, nothing has filled for Jaguar's place, Light Wing most likely end soon. There were four spaces going to be available, so I don't think the editors planning end OD, too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I don't think that people should be afraid at this moment. Two series have just been ended and if they are going to add one more then it'll be light wing. No new series have been introduced at this moment so there are still 2 free spots (psyren and swot). I think that light wing might become the next cancel if they are going to do a last one before the introduction of new series.

Mago's position reflects how people thought about the kyoto arc. Very thrilling and surprising at the beginning eventually turning into something mainstream and boring at the end
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm not worried. There's probably going to be 4 new series in the near future, and we all know how that's going to turn out.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn...again Nura? This is depressing. I hope the new arc picks up soon so it can rise up again in the rankings...though it's not going to be in any real danger anytime soon given it's sales.

As far as the rest of the bottom 5 goes, I don't care all that much. I'm hoping that we'll at least get 1 or 2 interesting titles when we get the new batch of series next year.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We do know that HxH is going to be taking one of those slots, right? I remember reading that recently so it's going to take away from one of the new series. Then again...it's not like we really can say '10 was a complete failure anymore with how Enigma's done so far. (though the other series I can worry about with the recent ranks going on...even Mago with it's recent turns it seems)

BTW: I'm probably going to do a few one-shots before the year is out if I can finish up Otokojuku (just about done the second-to-last volume and may speed through the final one since it looks like way more fun than the series has been for a bit...and I really don't want to start my next Jump series, which I already have prepped to start soon, until the new year) I have the Tsukumogami one and Akimoto's recent one, but if I need any more, I'll ask to get some raws so I can maybe help out the community a bit.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ Were you talking about the fake announcement? :(
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^ Were you talking about the fake announcement? :(
OK, so it was fake? Well, it does feel weird that we're starting a new issue year with no changes outside more one-shots.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ If you are talking about the photoshopped announcement that was posted here a few weeks ago, then yes, it is fake.

HxH is not my favourite manga, but i kinda want to see the conclusion *sigh*. Togashi-sensei needs an editor like Yoshida (Bakuman) ;)
 

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
882
Reaction score
183
Gender
Male
Country
Chile
[...]
HxH is not my favourite manga, but i kinda want to see the conclusion *sigh*. Togashi-sensei needs an editor like Yoshida (Bakuman) ;)
Thanks to that kind of editor, he made a shitty conclusion on Yu Yu Hakusho.
I'd prefer 20 chapters in a year than 12 if he changes to Jump SQ.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Thanks to that kind of editor, he made a shitty conclusion on Yu Yu Hakusho.
I'd prefer 20 chapters in a year than 12 if he changes to Jump SQ.
Yes, it is less chapter. But the length of each chapter is longer in Jump SQ, so we basically get about same amount.

Plus, we still don't know if Togashi going to release 20 chapters again when he returns, he might release only 10 chapters.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
About Oumaga:
I also don't see them end this series any time soon and I'm not just saying that because I'm biased as fuck... :D There have been several occasions recently where JUMP reaffirmed the value of the series but I won't be reiterate them now for the gazillionth time. (Quick one: just take the fact that it gets a Bangaihen in Next whereas dead as a dodo Light Wing gets jack shit.)

About Hunter x Hunter:
We should keep in mind that last year the announcement for its return popped up about 1 or 1 1/2 month before its actual comeback. If I remember correctly the news was published in issue #50 or #51 of 2009 and it returned in #3-4/10. So, if news were to pop up now (or soon) it would probably still take a month or so before Togashi really enters the ring.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top