Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Don't like the TOC this week. The bottom five have some of my favorites in it. Poor Mago. Well at least Bleach moved from where it was last week. What is Bulge going to be about?

Jump is putting one shot without ending anything? Is that means there are extra space in Jump?
Well since HxH is on hiatus, I say why not.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Ah I thought I vaguely remembered that name ^^ never read the actual series though.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
There is that superficial moment where you look at Nisekoi, Beelzebub, and Pajama and realize they have three things in common: male lead has black spikey hair, female lead is blonde, second female lead has black hair. O_o *just realized this* Of course, besides this element, the three of them are extremely different.

I'm happy for Beelzebub getting a color page, it should be the start of a new arc! :amuse

Just for my own amusement, how would you rank series according to strongest fujoshi fanbase? :amuse
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Just for my own amusement, how would you rank series according to strongest fujoshi fanbase? :amuse
Naruto would definately be number 1.
Maybe Reborn Second.
Bleach in 3rd, maybe.

I'm basing my list on 2 other forum activities, full of fujoshis. :XD
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
There is that superficial moment where you look at Nisekoi, Beelzebub, and Pajama and realize they have three things in common: male lead has black spikey hair, female lead is blonde, second female lead has black hair. O_o *just realized this* Of course, besides this element, the three of them are extremely different.
I don't think Raku has a spiky hair like Oga and male lead in Pajama (darn, I forgot his name).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi


See dem spike spiked shaped things on teh top o' his head and teh sides 2? The professional term for that is "spikey" hair. Keisuke is the main character of Pajama.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

There is that superficial moment where you look at Nisekoi, Beelzebub, and Pajama and realize they have three things in common: male lead has black spikey hair, female lead is blonde, second female lead has black hair. O_o *just realized this* Of course, besides this element, the three of them are extremely different.
Medaka Box is a blonde girl short of following the same formula. Does it count that the male lead is a spikey haired blonde?

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

The only Ichiro Takahashi one shot I read was Obake Life, which I really enjoyed.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Medaka Box is a blonde girl short of following the same formula. Does it count that the male lead is a spikey haired blonde?
Not too far off, but Medaka Box doesn't really have a secondary female lead.
Unless you're willing to take your analogy to its furthest extent where Medaka is a the black haired female lead, zenkichi is blonde and kumagawa (I guess? It's kinda stretching it a bit though) has black hair. But... seems kinda stretching too far to come to such a conclusion.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Naruto would definately be number 1.
Maybe Reborn Second.
Bleach in 3rd, maybe.

I'm basing my list on 2 other forum activities, full of fujoshis. :XD
I base mine off of fanart and doujinshi...but yours is probably more accurate. xD

One Piece/Naruto
Bleach
Gintama/Reborn/Toriko
Mago/Sket Dance
Kuroko
Beelzebub

The romcoms are undecided since they're too new.




See dem spike spiked shaped things on teh top o' his head and teh sides 2? The professional term for that is "spikey" hair. Keisuke is the main character of Pajama.

Medaka Box is a blonde girl short of following the same formula. Does it count that the male lead is a spikey haired blonde?

Did you squish the first picture on purpose? :lmao Like I said, its a very superficial similarity. :XD

Haha, touche. I think the proper response would be that, Medaka Box's leads can be described however Nisio wants them to be described.
 

crimsonlink310

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not happy about Kurogane's ranking but other than that it looks good. Bleach is up to 9th which is good since Color pages don't count. BTW Teeba is Beelzebub really getting a color page this week? Doesn't look like it on the TOC.

Just for my own amusement, how would you rank series according to strongest fujoshi fanbase?

Reborn! is number 1 imo for sure with 90% bishonen male cast

I dunno about Naruto since only Sasuke and Itachi comes to mind compared to other series.

Bleach is pretty high with Hitsugaya and the captains. I guess One Piece too if only because nearly everyone loves OP.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
At this point I think WSJ is allowing Shiibashi some time to conclude NnM. I'm way behind so I'm not sure how far along the story is right now.

Just for my own amusement, how would you rank series according to strongest fujoshi fanbase? :amuse
If we're going by numbers I think either One Piece or Naruto takes the cake, but Reborn probably has the highest percentage of a fujoshi fanbase.
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Naruto would definately be number 1.
Maybe Reborn Second.
Bleach in 3rd, maybe.

I'm basing my list on 2 other forum activities, full of fujoshis. :XD
Yeah Naruto definitely takes the top stop in my book as well. Reborn would be number 2 and it would Bleach/Toriko tied for 3rd.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Kurogane and Magico make me sad. Hopefully a new series tanks to give them a cushion. Or maybe Reborn, because it should have ended a long time ago.
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@asari im kinda behind too but from where i was at they were defenitly in the second last arc preparing for the final arc so it should end sometime this year but not before naruto does.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Not happy about Kurogane's ranking but other than that it looks good. Bleach is up to 9th which is good since Color pages don't count. BTW Teeba is Beelzebub really getting a color page this week? Doesn't look like it on the TOC.

Just for my own amusement, how would you rank series according to strongest fujoshi fanbase?

Reborn! is number 1 imo for sure with 90% bishonen male cast

I dunno about Naruto since only Sasuke and Itachi comes to mind compared to other series.

Bleach is pretty high with Hitsugaya and the captains. I guess One Piece too if only because nearly everyone loves OP.
Beelzebub has a color page next week. I wasn't really clear when I fangirl'd about it. :facepalm

I think while Reborn and Bleach are obvious choices, I think Gintama has a strong fanbase as well. I'm always stumbling upon BL fanart for it. Naruto and One Piece are so popular that their fujoshi fanbases are proportionally huge.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Nisekoi volume 1 completely sold out in only 3 days after arriving at Australia's only official Japanese bookstore.

Considering how well Nisekoi has continuously ranked it is suprising that the editorial staff decided to give it such a small initial printing.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
TOC is fine with me, nothing really surprising. The only thing that makes me really happy is Nisekoi still doing so well, it's one of the WSJ series I enjoy the most atm and I believe that it's ranking is totally deserved :zomg

Hard to say which series could be the next goner, HQ and Nisekoi are very unlikely at this point but all the other fairly new series are definitely in danger. Magico and Kurogane could be the next series to go, depending on how the other new series fare.

The Pajama no Kanojo discussion here made me interested, will definitely check it out if it continues to do well.

At this point I think WSJ is allowing Shiibashi some time to conclude NnM. I'm way behind so I'm not sure how far along the story is right now.
Agreed, Mago's ratings hardly matter anymore. It's definitely in it's last Arc (everyone works together to crush the big evil and his minions) so I'm pretty sure they will give him the time to finish the manga how he wants to.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Pajama no Kanojo, Nisekoi and HQ! are the series i enjoy the most recently. they really great and deserve to survive longer than 20 chapters. i hope there are enough bottom dwellers or ending series to save them long enough to build a big enough fan base.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think while Reborn and Bleach are obvious choices, I think Gintama has a strong fanbase as well. I'm always stumbling upon BL fanart for it. Naruto and One Piece are so popular that their fujoshi fanbases are proportionally huge.
Two former admin and a former global were fujoshi, two were specifically fans of Naruto slash manga.

Nisekoi volume 1 completely sold out in only 3 days after arriving at Australia's only official Japanese bookstore.

Considering how well Nisekoi has continuously ranked it is suprising that the editorial staff decided to give it such a small initial printing.
Don't forget that unless they are small and locally owned, most stores do not buy directly from Shueisha. Large chains require national shipping networks, something Shueisha (or any publisher) is not built to handle. Most of the sales Oricon charts reflect are sales to distributors and wholesalers, copies are going from Shueisha's warehouse to sit in distribution centers, awaiting orders from stores. From a distributors point of view, they do not extra product lingering in their warehouses, only enough for stores to replenish stock. That is why volume 1 generally sells so much lower than volume 2 and 3, everyone involved is gauging demand. In Nisekoi's case demand seems to be exceeding expectations, I expect volume 2 to sell very well.

TOC is fine with me, nothing really surprising. The only thing that makes me really happy is Nisekoi still doing so well, it's one of the WSJ series I enjoy the most atm and I believe that it's ranking is totally deserved :zomg
I've also been enjoying Nisekoi lately. In Double Arts it seemed to me that Komi struggled to create a coherent, linear narrative. What sparkled were his characters. The more episodic nature of Nisekoi has allowed him to focus on the characters and their relationships, the real strengths of his writing. It's a really funny, entertaining manga, and I have also been enjoying it recently.

Hard to say which series could be the next goner, HQ and Nisekoi are very unlikely at this point but all the other fairly new series are definitely in danger. Magico and Kurogane could be the next series to go, depending on how the other new series fare.
I don't expect any more cancellations until late July or early August, around the time of the next double issue. One series just ended, two more were canceled, so they will probably go about three months without adding any new titles. I would guess that one of the three new series will be the next to end.

The Pajama no Kanojo discussion here made me interested, will definitely check it out if it continues to do well.
It seems to have been mistyped as a romcon. There is not much comedy to it, after the first chapter or so. It is a fairly serious drama, with a good dose of humor, but definitely not a comedy.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top