Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,407
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So much negativity to a series that no one has read even a gram of a page of in its current form. I think a magazine thrives on having different lead chracters of various styles to appeal to different folks. He appeals to me. I think at the end of the day one just has to face the fact that not every series will appeal to them and that there are those that would enjoy it, why else make changes from a one shot and get to the serialization stage here.
The difference is that nobody is talking that Stealth Symphony will be a failure because the male character is very generic, we just talking that is generic, and not even about appeal, is about design.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
So much negativity to a series that no one has read even a gram of a page of in its current form. I think a magazine thrives on having different lead chracters of various styles to appeal to different folks. He appeals to me. I think at the end of the day one just has to face the fact that not every series will appeal to them and that there are those that would enjoy it, why else make changes from a one shot and get to the serialization stage here.
I don't understand you at all. You have been criticizing Illegal Rare right before its serialization because you don't like it and because it's "dark" (but the most of users of this thead like it), and now you say that there have to be 'different lead characters of various styles', so, there have to be Illegal Rare into the magazine or not? Because they won't like the "dark" style, but there have been people that will like it (just what you said).
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Uh, opinions are opinions...last time I checked.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't understand you at all. You have been criticizing Illegal Rare right before its serialization because you don't like it and because it's "dark" (but the most of users of this thead like it), and now you say that there have to be 'different lead characters of various styles', so, there have to be Illegal Rare into the magazine or not? Because they won't like the "dark" style, but there have been people that will like it (just what you said).
Dude... Western audiences like dark stuff. But STATISTICALLY dark series have not done well in Jump. Especially this decade.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Dude... Western audiences like dark stuff. But STATISTICALLY dark series have not done well in Jump. Especially this decade.
I know, but I said what he said, that he don't like it for being dark and think it would being axed for that (I don't consider that is SO dark), but now he says that is good to have different styles (which "dark" would be one of them).
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Uh, opinions are opinions...last time I checked.
Well check again!

For me, I'm excited for Stealth Symphony simply because it's Amano drawing it. I thought Over Time and Akaboshi were a shit-ton of fun even with their annoying flaws. And now that Amano has finally realized he can't write very well, I hope we get something good. Plus surely Narita can write something that will be at least entertaining. Blah I'm a hopeless fanboy.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't understand you at all. You have been criticizing Illegal Rare right before its serialization because you didn't like it and because it's "dark" (but most of the users of this thead like it), and now you say that there have to be 'different lead characters of various styles', so, there have to be Illegal Rare into the magazine or not? Because they won't like the "dark" style, but there have been people that will like it (just what you said).
I didn't see anything problematic about Illegal Rare lead character design. He just needs to smile more, otherwise his design is all the rage these days. Its clear that the lead of Stealth Symphony gives off a different aura than the lead of Illegal Rare, so both are different lead characters of different styles. Both would appeal to different folks, which seems apparent based on the comments in the thread about Stealth Symphony's character being "generic shonen lead #xxxxx" and Illegal Rare possessing proponents from the western world.

The big question is which would appeal to more folks and gain more traction, and based on how Illegal Rare presented itself it is not an easy question to answer.

-
If youre specifically asking for my opinion about Illegal Rare, then no I think its a manga that does't really belong in the magazine. I don't like darkish older oriented series with hunters etc. I prefer typical shonen leads with fun personalities etc in fairly lighter action fantasy type settings or school settings.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
If youre specifically asking for my opinion about Illegal Rare, then no I think its a manga that does't really belong in the magazine. I don't like darkish older oriented series with hunters etc. I prefer typical shonen leads with fun personalities etc in fairly lighter action fantasy type settings or school settings.
Well, I'm not really going to say anything against your opinion about IR, but I think the magazine would be boring if it only filled with just light series.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. :amuse

Sasaki posted this on his twitter this morning: All the chocolate they receive for popular characters on Valentine's Day. I wonder how much is Gintoki's alone, since he seems to be the most popular character women would give chocolate to. :derp



I didn't expect the packages to be that big, I'll be honest. :lmao Maybe they're group deliveries?

Oh, and which Jump character would you give chocolates to? (convention be damned) I'd give mine to Nagisa (from Assassination Classroom), Furuichi (Beelzebub), Shinpachi (Gintama), and Aldini Takumi (Shokugeki no Soma).
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I didn't see anything problematic about Illegal Rare lead character design. He just needs to smile more, otherwise his design is all the rage these days. Its clear that the lead of Stealth Symphony gives off a different aura than the lead of Illegal Rare, so both are different lead characters of different styles. Both would appeal to different folks, which seems apparent based on the comments in the thread about Stealth Symphony's character being "generic shonen lead #xxxxx" and Illegal Rare possessing proponents from the western world.

The big question is which would appeal to more folks and gain more traction, and based on how Illegal Rare presented itself it is not an easy question to answer.

-
If youre specifically asking for my opinion about Illegal Rare, then no I think its a manga that does't really belong in the magazine. I don't like darkish older oriented series with hunters etc. I prefer typical shonen leads with fun personalities etc in fairly lighter action fantasy type settings or school settings.
Yes, that was what I mean. I think that we have/had similar characters with all of this of the smile and dark aura around them, like Piccolo or Levi, and both have a huge fanbase. I know they are not the same, just a example. But this "dark aura" appeals to AxL, is a vampire, not having it is like Alucard running happily through flowers (now I want to see this xDD). And we only have two chapters. Also, I think WSJ needs a dark-ish manga, or, at least, more mature. Actually a lot of WSJ series are school-based, and with Naruto and Bleach ending soon, the magazine needs something different. My opinion is that Illegal Rare will be successful because of this reason. Or maybe I just want to see something different since I don't like romcoms and school based mangas (with the exception of Sket Dance, Slam Dunk, Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. :amuse



Oh, and which Jump character would you give chocolates to? (convention be damned) I'd give mine to Nagisa (from Assassination Classroom), Furuichi (Beelzebub), Shinpachi (Gintama), and Aldini Takumi (Shokugeki no Soma).
If my irl bf wouldnt mind Id give lots of chocolates to Karma kun in AssClass, Tsuki and Oikawa in Haikyuu!! Takao in Kurobas and Sasuke Uchiha!
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah no I think as a standard rule people shouldn't try to call others out on what they themselves do ahahaha.

Though for real, blind speculation is pointless. What most have been doing, which is showing concern over what looks like a pretty significant switch in the gender of a title's protagonist? Totally okay to be bothered by, so like... Yeah, I don't know what to think of Stealth Symphony's serial until we go in, but it's not a good sign to be worried in advance.
I was just commenting the design of the character, nothing else. But yeah, you have a point.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This week's episode of Sakiyomi JumBang; this week focuses on One Piece.
http://www.nosub.tv/watch/93480.html

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

These videos are about Nakama Ryou (author of Isobe Isobee Monogatari) going to the British Museum (in London); these video are originally released in Jump Live.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Illegal Rare #2 Raw

Isnt the guy that shows up at the end this guy from the Author's previous oneshot?

Also surprised they showed werewolves already. Anyway I really like what I''m seeing from this series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Yes, that was what I mean. I think that we have/had similar characters with all of this of the smile and dark aura around them, like Piccolo or Levi, and both have a huge fanbase. I know they are not the same, just a example. But this "dark aura" appeals to AxL, is a vampire, not having it is like Alucard running happily through flowers (now I want to see this xDD). And we only have two chapters. Also, I think WSJ needs a dark-ish manga, or, at least, more mature. Actually a lot of WSJ series are school-based, and with Naruto and Bleach ending soon, the magazine needs something different. My opinion is that Illegal Rare will be successful because of this reason. Or maybe I just want to see something different since I don't like romcoms and school based mangas (with the exception of Sket Dance, Slam Dunk, Rookies and Rokudenashi Blues).
If Jump readers wanted a dark manga in the magazine, then they wouldn't have voted to cancel all of the ones Jump puts out.
I don't think Illegal Rare is as dark as people are making it out to be (ALthough on the other hand it IS pretty edgy...) but to say that you think the manga will be successful because it's "dark" is statistically wrong.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
If Jump readers wanted a dark manga in the magazine, then they wouldn't have voted to cancel all of the ones Jump puts out.
Just because Jump readers want the dark series, I don't think they going to vote for the dark series even it is unintersting.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
No, I mean I think it will be successful becouse is different of all we have now, basically sports and romcom series, not because is dark. Also, I don't think is as dark as has been said.
And if a dark manga isn't good, the jump readers won't vote for it, even if they like the style (I think it's not the word I want), and the same for adventure, sports, romcom, or fight series. If a manga isn't good, it will be axed. And I think the two chapters we had are good enough to be, at least, a year and a half in the magazine.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
And if a dark manga isn't good, the jump readers won't vote for it, even if they like the style (I think it's not the word I want), and the same for adventure, sports, romcom, or fight series. If a manga isn't good, it will be axed.
Exactly. Hachi got axed and Iron Knight is in danger zone, but it is not because of they are dark. They are axed/endanger because there aren't interesting enough to catch the readers' attention.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Because just by looking at the pages it seems like it just simply didn't end.
It simply ended. Hachi ended like, "our fight is just begnning," typical battle series' axed ending.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top