Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
(Illegal Rare doesn't use screen tones (grey areas) at all)
That is interesting. Nura went overboard with the tones at times, I think a cleaner look would benefit his style a lot.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

01. Gintama #53 (203,161 / 203,346)
02. Shokugeki no Souma #6 (187,870)
04. World Trigger #4 (60,815)
06. Soul Catcher(S) #3 (41,645)
07. Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal #6 (36,904)
11. Sousei no Onmyouji #1 (29,527)
13. Ao no Exorcist Seijuuji Kishidan Guide (26,512)
20. Isobe Isobee Monogatari~Ukiyo wa Tsuraiyo~ #1 (21,855)
43. Taishou Roman Oni-san Yameteee!! #1 (13,384)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That gives World Trigger a ~11K increase over the previous volume which I think most expected in the 60K range. And Soul Catcher(s) an increase from 22K to 41K, that growth. (all for first week). I wonder if either will be up there next week.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

01. Gintama #53 (203,161 / 203,346)
02. Shokugeki no Souma #6 (187,870)
04. World Trigger #4 (60,815)
06. Soul Catcher(S) #3 (41,645)
07. Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal #6 (36,904)
11. Sousei no Onmyouji #1 (29,527)
13. Ao no Exorcist Seijuuji Kishidan Guide (26,512)
20. Isobe Isobee Monogatari~Ukiyo wa Tsuraiyo~ #1 (21,855)
43. Taishou Roman Oni-san Yameteee!! #1 (13,384)
Not a bad initial performance by Isobe Isobee, ranking so comfortably for a gag manga's debut. Surprised by how little Roman sold though. I mean I don't know enough about it, but it's by the hetalia person, isn't it? Would've expected a little more.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Surprised by how little Roman sold though. I mean I don't know enough about it, but it's by the hetalia person, isn't it? Would've expected a little more.
Well, I didn't really expected that it'll have high sale at the beginning, like Te to Kuchi also hasn't made top 50, yet. So, I think it is pretty regular for the popular author's new series has either low tank sale or not showing in the ranking.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Possible. To be honest I don't often see SQ titles in the chart outside of the obvious hits, so maybe that's a thing, like all the readers stick to the anthology.

.... But now I've gone off-topic, so I'll stop.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
It's only my opinion but I didn't find Illegal Rare that dark. The only "dark" thing is that it's about rare species that get sold off on the black market (pretty non mainstream matter you don't usually find in WSJ mangas), then the MC is a vampire (I think this make him a really mainstream character). As for the art people who have only seen the raws may think the series is dark because Shiibashi totally changed his artstyle between Nura and now (Illegal Rare doesn't use screen tones (grey areas) at all) which might feel kind of weird to some people seeing how in today's manga industry pretty much 80 to 90% of mangaka heavily use screentones in their manga with sometimes 4-5 different types on each pages, 5% use them sparingly (ex : Nanatsu no Taizai or Anagle Mole and even HxH or Naruto at times) and don't use them (ex : Berserk or One Piece at the beginning). I think the fact no tones at all are used gives the manga a pretty unique genre, I like it. As for the theme I think people should just apply a "3 chapter rule" to see how it will go. If the series is serialized it's because editors thought it could work well with Jump's current age readership.
Interesting observation. Though to be honest I didn't know what screentone was until you explained it. :-P I didn't know Anagle doesn't use them, and now I feel like checking out HXH and OP to see if they don't too.

But you pretty much said what I did about Illegal Rare. It's pretty standard Jump stuff with a few (emphasis on few) different takes. My thing is (as I said before) that what tends to happen is projections of what we don't like and do like personally become the measurement of a series's success, rather than actual honest criticism. It's one thing to simply not like what a series is about, but to claim that it won't do well because it lacks specific things that one wants to see is well---ridiculous. Especially when chapter two isn't even out yet. The series is still in it's infancy, and while TBH it doesn't really strike me as the next big thing that's more because it's standard jump fare with a mini ---almost unnoticeable twist. Of course we don't know what could happen so best to wait yeah?

Speaking of standing out, the new protag of Stealth Symphony really doesn't. Like he looks like shounen protagonist #1453. I really hope some of the other characters leave more of an impression. I know the names involved are what has everyone excited, but right now it looks like yet another Jump manga that'll be axed before the end of it's third volume.

Also the little blurb for Beelze doesn't say it's ending....or did I miss it? I mean there's probably no doubt, but there's no official word either. It just says that there will be extra pages and a color page for the 5th year of serialization as well as the popularity thing. Also more information about Gintama's 10 year project will be revealed next issue. That has me a little excited I confess, but it's probably nothing all that interesting (or available to people outside Japan.)
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of standing out, the new protag of Stealth Symphony really doesn't. Like he looks like shounen protagonist #1453. I really hope some of the other characters leave more of an impression. I know the names involved are what has everyone excited, but right now it looks like yet another Jump manga that'll be axed before the end of it's third volume.
See, that's the weird thing, because the oneshot of Stealth Symphony was completely different from what the pic implies, as the main character was actually female and there was no male mc character to be seen. My guess is that he's being tacked on as the male companion and it will be focused through his point of view in addition to the female character (hopefully not in replacement of, because that would be disappointing). Guess we'll have to wait and see.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
[Cross];3705708 said:
See, that's the weird thing, because the oneshot of Stealth Symphony was completely different from what the pic implies, as the main character was actually female and there was no male mc character to be seen. My guess is that he's being tacked on as the male companion and it will be focused through his point of view in addition to the female character (hopefully not in replacement of, because that would be disappointing). Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah I hope so. I have no problem with them changing out the female MC for a male one, but right now the design they have for the dude doesn't inspire confidence of this series's longevity....at least to me anyway. Then again, maybe the writing will make up for the character design. Though I absolutely hope you're right.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah I hope so. I have no problem with them changing out the female MC for a male one, but right now the design they have for the dude doesn't inspire confidence of this series's longevity....at least to me anyway. Then again, maybe the writing will make up for the character design. Though I absolutely hope you're right.
The design for the male lead in Stealth Symphony looks pretty generic too me, the thing you can see everyday in shounen manga or something. I like art like this too but I usually prefer artists who can be recognized at a glance when looking at their art style.

As for previous answer OP didn't use them in the beginning used them sparingly (less than today anyway) because Oda found screentones "to be a pain in the ass to use" 0 - saw that when reading scan. HxH uses them really sparingly, I'm rereading the series so I'm really noticing now, He doesn't use much tones and uses black for some areas.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,470
Reaction score
39,387
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The design for the male lead in Stealth Symphony looks pretty generic too me, the thing you can see everyday in shounen manga or something.

As for previous answer Os.
No doubt, the design of male is very, very generic, thing that you see in every shonen, the change of gender disappointed me.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
At any rate it seems Iron Knight and Stealth Symphony have had a lot of changes before being serialized... I mean Shueisha made a magazine Jump VS last year to especially promote actions one shot and for readers to select which they likes most but I must say that with Iron Knight turning into a flop (no change for it to ever come back up - the series has turned into something really boring and pretty generic), I still don't know for Stealth Symphony, we'll have to see but I think it can be said that while Jump VS worked well (probably) with good reception, the fact that that most likely the better received oneshot for now failed as a series afterwards means Jump VS can be interpreted as a commercial failure. I don't think promoting oneshots to get reception from the readers then have those oneshots fail has series was what Shueisha envisioned.
I don't know for Stealth Symphony but I think that the fact Iron Knight retained none of the elements it had in its oneshot means Stealth Symphony will probably experience the same change (the first of which is the lead being changed from woman to man)... and that honestly doesn't seem all that appealing.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Compete against other one shots is one thing and compete against Jump series (including One Piece, Naruto, Toriko...) is another thing. It is not as if the reader liked the oneshot, he will support the series no matter what, the competition is different. Also, the author tends to modify the story from oneshot to series too much and ruin it. I didn't read Stealth Symphony oneshot, then I'm going to pick Hungry Joker as an example. Hungry Joker's oneshot was nice, but it didn't fit for a series, he had to modify everything and became that crappy.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Good selling WT,I think it will improve them,and that next week it will arrive to 80-90k
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
who knows what will happen. the mc could die right away or something like this. also making changes to the os could improve its quality. nothing you say has a relation to success. its not like only series with a high quality could be appealing. its so much more complex.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So much negativity to a series that no one has read even a gram of a page of in its current form. I think a magazine thrives on having different lead chracters of various styles to appeal to different folks. He appeals to me. I think at the end of the day one just has to face the fact that not every series will appeal to them and that there are those that would enjoy it, why else make changes from a one shot and get to the serialization stage here.
 

DestyNova4th

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
94
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Iron Knight has failed because the author has serialized conceptually rather Goblin Knight, so it has lost almost everything good from Jump VS

Narita's novels has a coral protagonism, and Stealth Symphony seems to have that mask as the center of the plot. Maybe the girl is a a previous "victim" that the boy, so she could continue in the history.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, it's a weak and generic design. There's no denying that. I mean, I guess it's not 'bad' per se, but it's nothing good or special either. Just really boring.
So much negativity to a series that no one has read even a gram of a page of in its current form. I think a magazine thrives on having different lead chracters of various styles to appeal to different folks. He appeals to me. I think at the end of the day one just has to face the fact that not every series will appeal to them and that there are those that would enjoy it, why else make changes from a one shot and get to the serialization stage here.
Oh, double standards.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, double standards.
Yeah no I think as a standard rule people shouldn't try to call others out on what they themselves do ahahaha.

Though for real, blind speculation is pointless. What most have been doing, which is showing concern over what looks like a pretty significant switch in the gender of a title's protagonist? Totally okay to be bothered by, so like... Yeah, I don't know what to think of Stealth Symphony's serial until we go in, but it's not a good sign to be worried in advance.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
So much negativity to a series that no one has read even a gram of a page of in its current form. I think a magazine thrives on having different lead chracters of various styles to appeal to different folks. He appeals to me. I think at the end of the day one just has to face the fact that not every series will appeal to them and that there are those that would enjoy it, why else make changes from a one shot and get to the serialization stage here.
And that is exactly what I'm talking about. Not just you in particular but a lot of fans. Zeroing in on things you do like and predicting success because you do like them is dumb, ridiculous etc. Just last week people were saying Illegal Rare won't work because the art sucks, it's too dark, blah blah blah. Those are all objective things that change preferences from person to person. I dislike romcoms, harem and Naruto with a passion, but I wouldn't say 'Oh this will be unsuccessful because I hate the genre.' or series. I might not read it for those reasons, but whether it is successful or not is a different matter completely. People are the target audience for these series....not a person. Specifically not for one person --you. (And by you I mean readers who seem to believe that work has to be specifically written for their tastes, and not simply something that happens to align with them, not so much the original poster.) I don't mean to pick on your post but this is exactly the problem with speculation that has no basis. All we have is the one picture of the protagonist and lets be completely fair, it is underwhelming. Despite this it might be a good series --or at least a popular one. (Gotta remember those aren't interchangeable.) Which is the same for Illegal Rare.

And for the record, I don't really care that the protagonist is male or female. It's just this guy doesn't look interesting. You can have a boring looking female protag too.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top