Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

korshunxD

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
167
Reaction score
223
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
Iphone - Ishoujo
 

Greco

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
83
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It wrote on the color page about something like "Ten person, Ten Color" thingy.

Plus, I Shoujo is an omnibus romcom series, so I think the author already planned ten stories beforehand.
you mean it'll be something like The World God Only Knows?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, though is it supposed to represent Ultraman? It's written as aratora-man or something. I wonder if this will be a gag manga...
Well, based on the title and picture, I think it'll be a gag series. I'm kind of surprise that he'll be doing gag series.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

you mean it'll be something like The World God Only Knows?
Nope, TWGOK isn't omnibus story.

The omnibus story is the short stories focusing on different characters, so more like Hatsukoi Limited and 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi


lol Ene :XD

I don't want to call her a Kagerou Days rip off before the series has even started, but she's a pair of twin tails away from looking just like Ene.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well, based on the title and picture, I think it'll be a gag series. I'm kind of surprise that he'll be doing gag series.
I'm quite surprised about that as well. But seeing is how "serious" Mutou Black was, I think doing a gag manga will be a good experience for him, broaden his skillset. At least it'll make for some change by the same author contrary to authors who end series then come back with things that are in the same genre.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ok. I think I'm on board with that swimming manga. Ope it evolves into something more than a oneshot...
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
i'm not really interested in Ishoujo,more in Tokyo wonder boys

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I think that now WT and Soul catcher(S) are little in trouble,more Soul catcher(S)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i'm not really interested in Ishoujo,more in Tokyo wonder boys

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I think that now WT and Soul catcher(S) are little in trouble,more Soul catcher(S)
How are they in trouble when none of the new series has had a gram of a measure of reception. I mean I think WT and Soul Catcher(s) will outlast Illegal Rare for reasons the thread has covered already, and iShoujo doesnt seem like it will light up readers interest either. Iron Knight is also still an element that must not be discounted either. Stealth Symphony seems to be the only one with a guarantee for success due to all the makings of a series that seems that it will be popular.

I don't think the series offered will really cause Soul Catcher(s) proponents to abandon the series considering the storm it has weathered thus far, and World Trigger has consistently managed to remain in the mid to upper half, it would be a bit difficult to imagine a mass exodus taking place in the near term especially with the plot...
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
How are they in trouble when none of the new series has had a gram of a measure of reception. I mean I think WT and Soul Catcher(s) will outlast Illegal Rare for reasons the thread has covered already, and iShoujo doesnt seem like it will light up readers interest either. Iron Knight is also still an element that must not be discounted either. Stealth Symphony seems to be the only one with a guarantee for success due to all the makings of a series that seems that it will be popular.
With all due respect, could you please stop ditching Illegal Rare? It's on its second chapter. And it comes from a way more stablished author/artist than Stealth Symphony.
I think all of us should stop giving our biased opinions and comment the things that happen when they happen.
No offense.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
With all due respect, could you please stop ditching Illegal Rare? It's on its second chapter. And it comes from a way more stablished author/artist than Stealth Symphony.
I think all of us should stop giving our biased opinions and comment the things that happen when they happen.
No offense.
I agree here. I don't think Illegal Rare going to fail because it is too dark and mature, unless people is comfortable enought to say that Shounen Jump will never, never, never, never, never, never, never, and never going to have success on dark series from now on.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,470
Reaction score
39,388
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How are they in trouble when none of the new series has had a gram of a measure of reception. I mean I think WT and Soul Catcher(s) will outlast Illegal Rare for reasons the thread has covered already, and iShoujo doesnt seem like it will light up readers interest either. Iron Knight is also still an element that must not be discounted either. Stealth Symphony seems to be the only one with a guarantee for success due to all the makings of a series that seems that it will be popular.

I don't think the series offered will really cause Soul Catcher(s) proponents to abandon the series considering the storm it has weathered thus far, and World Trigger has consistently managed to remain in the mid to upper half, it would be a bit difficult to imagine a mass exodus taking place in the near term especially with the plot...
What your problem with Illegal Rare? every comment that you make about the manga is trying to prove that Illegal Rare will be a failure just because you think or want this, and uses "oh dark series isn't popular" as a argue, this is getting annoying, you can just wait to see if the manga will be or not cancelled?
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
With all due respect, could you please stop ditching Illegal Rare? It's on its second chapter. And it comes from a way more stablished author/artist than Stealth Symphony.
I think all of us should stop giving our biased opinions and comment the things that happen when they happen.
No offense.
Eh, I'd say that Narita is much more established and popular than Shiibashi.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Eh, I'd say that Narita is much more established and popular than Shiibashi.
BUT, the quetion is Narita going to do well in the manga as well?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What your problem with Illegal Rare? every comment that you make about the manga is trying to prove that Illegal Rare will be a failure just because you think or want this, and uses "oh dark series isn't popular" as a argue, this is getting annoying, you can just wait to see if the manga will be or not cancelled?
Theres no need to get up in arms, my comment was more in line with theres no need to revisit a topic already visited in depth in the past and the last that was stated about it was that we all should wait and see. We dont really need to entertain this discussion anymore as everyone has already established their positions.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
BUT, the quetion is Narita going to do well in the manga as well?
Which is a very good question.
I've previously stated that Narita's habit of incorporating way too many characters and Amano's panels tending to feel way too overcrowded might be a flaw of the series and could lead to an early axe.

But the post I originally responded to was simply saying that Shiibashi was a more established author than Narita which just isn't true.
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
Which is a very good question.
I've previously stated that Narita's habit of incorporating way too many characters and Amano's panels tending to feel way too overcrowded might be a flaw of the series and could lead to an early axe.

But the post I originally responded to was simply saying that Shiibashi was a more established author than Narita which just isn't true.
He's not a Jump mangaka, he's a light novelist who has mostly worked for the Dengeki Group.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
With all due respect, could you please stop ditching Illegal Rare? It's on its second chapter. And it comes from a way more stablished author/artist than Stealth Symphony.
I think all of us should stop giving our biased opinions and comment the things that happen when they happen.
No offense.
Past success does not guarantee success in Jump. Rurouni Kenshin was much more successful than Mago, but Watsuki still was never able to duplicate that success in Jump, or any other magazine. Plenty of other artists, many more successful than Shiibashi, failed to follow up a long run series.

Narita is better known than Shiibashi. Baccano and Drrr are more famous series than Mago. Amano is the obscure one. I really wish Narita were working with a better artist. Akatsuki would have been a better fit for Narita's writing style.

I generally don't believe content dictates popularity, but I happen to agree that modern Jump fans probably would not be interested in a genuinely dark manga. I don't think the fans who buy the magazine every week, read every series, and vote in the polls would want a series like Shingeki or Aku no Hana. Dark, disturbing, and serious are not qualities typically associated with Jump. It stands to reason that is not what most manga fans are looking for when they read Jump manga. A genuinely dark manga could survive, some have in the past. It is already very hard to succeed in Jump. The majority of new series are canceled quickly. It could be a little bit harder for a dark series to establish itself in a magazine not known for disturbing content. Looking at the raws, Illegal Rare did not look particularly dark. If it is canceled, I don't think that will be the problem.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
He's not a Jump mangaka, he's a light novelist who has mostly worked for the Dengeki Group.
And? The question was who is the more established author.
 
Last edited:

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's only my opinion but I didn't find Illegal Rare that dark. The only "dark" thing is that it's about rare species that get sold off on the black market (pretty non mainstream matter you don't usually find in WSJ mangas), then the MC is a vampire (I think this make him a really mainstream character). As for the art people who have only seen the raws may think the series is dark because Shiibashi totally changed his artstyle between Nura and now (Illegal Rare doesn't use screen tones (grey areas) at all) which might feel kind of weird to some people seeing how in today's manga industry pretty much 80 to 90% of mangaka heavily use screentones in their manga with sometimes 4-5 different types on each pages, 5% use them sparingly (ex : Nanatsu no Taizai or Anagle Mole and even HxH or Naruto at times) and don't use them (ex : Berserk or One Piece at the beginning). I think the fact no tones at all are used gives the manga a pretty unique genre, I like it. As for the theme I think people should just apply a "3 chapter rule" to see how it will go. If the series is serialized it's because editors thought it could work well with Jump's current age readership.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top