Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I guess you could add Corrector M&Y and Junbor to the list, but that's going back a pretty long time
god damn it Kaiten you're making me feel old calling that a pretty long time ago. (I'd also argue that ST&RS isn't a Space Brothers rip-off, but rather trying to jump on that particular band-wagon, but I don't particularly follow SB, so I'm probably off-base)
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
god damn it Kaiten you're making me feel old calling that a pretty long time ago. (I'd also argue that ST&RS isn't a Space Brothers rip-off, but rather trying to jump on that particular band-wagon, but I don't particularly follow SB, so I'm probably off-base)
If anything, I'd say ST&RS was a tribute because Takeuchi was a fan of Uchu Kyodai, and maybe it wasn't meant to last long.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
god damn it Kaiten you're making me feel old calling that a pretty long time ago. (I'd also argue that ST&RS isn't a Space Brothers rip-off, but rather trying to jump on that particular band-wagon, but I don't particularly follow SB, so I'm probably off-base)
2007 was seven years ago. :^_^
It doesn't feel that long ago.

St&rs was basically Uchuu Kyoudai with teenagers. St&rs added everything about being contacted by aliens, and some vague shounen powers (iirc) that were never fully explored. The rest practically plagiarized Uchuu. The challenges the characters had to complete were almost identical to the exercises that the astronaut candidates in Uchuu needed preform.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
2007 was seven years ago. :^_^
It doesn't feel that long ago.

St&rs was basically Uchuu Kyoudai with teenagers. St&rs added everything about being contacted by aliens, and some vague shounen powers (iirc) that were never fully explored. The rest practically plagiarized Uchuu. The challenges the characters had to complete were almost identical to the exercises that the astronaut candidates in Uchuu needed preform.
hmmm well if that's the case that's a huge bummer. Not enough to make me dislike ST&RS, but it takes a chunk of the charm away from it to be sure.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
hmmm well if that's the case that's a huge bummer. Not enough to make me dislike ST&RS, but it takes a chunk of the charm away from it to be sure.
Same here, I only got to know of Space Brothers last year so I didn't see the similarities when reading... But now that it's mentioned...
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, in that case, I guess it suits Takeuchi even better for him to work on a manga where he doesn't need to create his own unique storyline, as he's doing right now with AYNIK.

I don't know why I still haven't started on Uchu Kyodai yet.
 
Last edited:

Chipp12

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
20
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
Stealth Symphony Oneshot is now available for free reading on Jump Book Store. Link.

And banner from shonenjump.com
Is there any way to read it in the other place considering that it's connected with the full series and ESJ isn't going to translate it? Because for some reason my browser doesn't show pages at all.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Is there any way to read it in the other place considering that it's connected with the full series and ESJ isn't going to translate it? Because for some reason my browser doesn't show pages at all.
Well it won't matter whether you read it or not but yeah the series could be considered as some kind of follow up... But only the same characters reappear.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Is iShoujo even meant to be on WSJ? 2nd chapter and already a swimsuit. :twitch
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Is iShoujo even meant to be on WSJ? 2nd chapter and already a swimsuit. :twitch
I actually don't understand? To-Love-Ru was the same and even more explicit. Before Nisekoi were a lot of examples with barely clothed female harem mangas. Its just another Genre left to filled in the mag. It wouldn't make sense to make another pure based romance like Nisekoi because it already has a it fans who vote for it. That why pure action mangas have a hard time to gain votes because of the fierce competition. And by the why, the drawing looks great. Is the mangaka new?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Comments dont seem all that promising for these new series second chapters, with illegal rare being less than exciting and shoujo falling into the dire straits of the genre.

Second colour page for stealth symphony looks fantastic.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Comments dont seem all that promising for these new series second chapters, with illegal rare being less than exciting and shoujo falling into the dire straits of the genre.

Second colour page for stealth symphony looks fantastic.
Says who, Japanese twitter?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Is iShoujo even meant to be on WSJ? 2nd chapter and already a swimsuit. :twitch
.... I don't think you've seen enough Jump romance titles, because... c'mon.

Anyway, yeah, nice colour page. Shame I'm only getting tanks at the moment, be a shame to only have that in greyscale
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
.... I don't think you've seen enough Jump romance titles, because... c'mon.

Anyway, yeah, nice colour page. Shame I'm only getting tanks at the moment, be a shame to only have that in greyscale
Yeah. Despite the genre being what it is, ishoujo has some nice art. Is it terrible for me to hope this gets cancelled and the author comes back with another more desireable genre? the answer is yes.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah. Despite the genre being what it is, ishoujo has some nice art. Is it terrible for me to hope this gets cancelled and the author comes back with another more desireable genre? the answer is yes.
Yeah, I'd like the author to do something that isn't ecchi but I think I Shoujo could be really good if the author goes for some good comic scenes but well it won't change the fact that panty shots aren't my thing at all in shounen series. Ecchi is basically the genre I hate the most in shounen seeing as I consider it's stupidly done...

On another note, I like that Gintama page. I really need to read the series past chapter 300...
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I read the first chapter of Stealth Symphony and I think it isn't that bad; but, it is pretty much typical fist chapter for fantasy/action series.
 

jace93

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 2, 2014
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Gender
Hidden
Country
Italy
could you summarize the plot, please? I looked at the raw, but I don't understand a word of japanese, so I could only appreciate the art...:^_^
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
could you summarize the plot, please? I looked at the raw, but I don't understand a word of japanese, so I could only appreciate the art...:^_^
It is kind of basically the MC came to the big city in order to remove his "curse."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top