Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lead character in Stealth Symphony has so many good panels in the first chapter, I want so much too kawaii. The high climax action and final page are amazing. Monday hurry please.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Personally I hate Romance/Harem as a genre no matter what demographic it's aimed to. Of course I admit that this just has to do with me having no interest in romance in real life much less in fiction, but what you're saying about most of them being poorly done is pretty true too. Though as long as sex sells there's not much that can be done. I do hope that iShoujo rises past it's dubious pedigree, but I strongly doubt it. Jump isn't the paragon of orginality after all. It's more like the fast food of the Japanese manga scene. Good tasting, but not always good for you.

That being said the art is still really endearing and I still like the female lead enough to not drop it immediately. Time will tell though....

And yeah. Biases aside (lol.) I like the Gintama color page quite a bit. We rarely get to see Kagura's girly side. It's cool that Sorachi treats her like one of the guys (keeps her from being no more than moebait), but this side of her is nice --and dare I say it cute. In any case I like this color page more than the Stealth Symphony one.
I personally didn't like that Stealth Symphony page... It's just so crowded you don't even now where to start. Gintama color pages are really nice, really simple but full of win. For example the page with Sougo.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I personally didn't like that Stealth Symphony page... It's just so crowded you don't even now where to start. Gintama color pages are really nice, really simple but full of win. For example the page with Sougo.
Exactly. Its like SS (Stealth Symphony) is trying to be cool for the hell of it. Sorta like a little kid screaming 'look at me!' in a Family Guy-esque manner. Ah, I remember the Sougo one. That was cool too. I think Sorachi does better with center color pages than he does with lead color. Sadly due to his lack of self confidence, I doubt we'll ever see an art book. I'd so buy one immediately.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Exactly. Its like SS (Stealth Symphony) is trying to be cool for the hell of it. Sorta like a little kid screaming 'look at me!' in a Family Guy-esque manner. Ah, I remember the Sougo one. That was cool too. I think Sorachi does better with center color pages than he does with lead color. Sadly due to his lack of self confidence, I doubt we'll ever see an art book. I'd so buy one immediately.
Exactly.
Not to mention all the character designs look straight out of a "How to draw manga" book.
Super generic and just further evidence that the people who run ESJ aren't that bright seeing how this was the series they picked to add to their magazine.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Super generic and just further evidence that the people who run ESJ aren't that bright seeing how this was the series they picked to add to their magazine.
They picked because of Narita Ryougo, not for the sake of Amano Youichi.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Exactly.
Not to mention all the character designs look straight out of a "How to draw manga" book.
Super generic and just further evidence that the people who run ESJ aren't that bright seeing how this was the series they picked to add to their magazine.
Come on, there are english shonen jump readers that do want to read this manga more than the others. Please be open minded and accepting of others mangas to read.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I personally didn't like that Stealth Symphony page... It's just so crowded you don't even now where to start. Gintama color pages are really nice, really simple but full of win. For example the page with Sougo.
Exactly. Its like SS (Stealth Symphony) is trying to be cool for the hell of it. Sorta like a little kid screaming 'look at me!' in a Family Guy-esque manner.
Exactly.
Not to mention all the character designs look straight out of a "How to draw manga" book.
So, you guys don't like the artwork or the story. It sounds like you guys don't like the color page, but not much about the story, itself.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
They picked because of Narita Ryougo, not for the sake of Amano Youichi.
That might make sense. I mean they got a decent response out of having a novelist (Nishio Ishin) and mangaka before. Why not try it again?

Exactly.
Not to mention all the character designs look straight out of a "How to draw manga" book.
Super generic and just further evidence that the people who run ESJ aren't that bright seeing how this was the series they picked to add to their magazine.
Well...I wouldn't go as far as that. It's just far too crowded. Most times first chapter color pages have a splash image of the main character and a few (key word being few) other characters we should care about or will be important. I seriously doubt every single one of the characters featured on the page will be featured in any meaningful way (But hey I could be wrong?) so it feels kind of artificial.

I read it BTW, and like Illegal Rare before it the whole thing is very WSJ-ish. As in it was really rushed at parts where it should have had some more time to explain, and a wee bit cliched. I do think the art is a little better in B/W, and there was one twist that I didn't see coming, but even that didn't really elevate the series past being just 'okay' or 'the same as any other WSJ serial'. It's sorta coming across as several WSJ serials mishmashed into one chapter....well, as I said before it has the same potential to live or fail as any other series in the mag. Judging by this first chapter (since that's popular here), however I think it's a bit uninspired. Hopefully chapter two can make for a better show.

So, you guys don't like the artwork or the story. It sounds like you guys don't like the color page, but not much about the story, itself.
I know you wrote this while I was writing my thing, but I guess you could say that. But a color page is the introduction to a manga, just like the Opening theme is the introduction to an anime. If that fails to capture one's attention then it's fair to assume the manga itself will have a hard time doing so. Not saying it's impossible mind you, since sometimes a color page can just be really badly done, but it's much harder to be for sure.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
That might make sense. I mean they got a decent response out of having a novelist (Nishio Ishin) and mangaka before. Why not try it again?
Since they done that for both Nisio and Kagami, so it isn't really surprise for ESJ to add Narita.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I know you wrote this while I was writing my thing, but I guess you could say that. But a color page is the introduction to a manga, just like the Opening theme is the introduction to an anime. If that fails to capture one's attention then it's fair to assume the manga itself will have a hard time doing so. Not saying it's impossible mind you, since sometimes a color page can just be really badly done, but it's much harder to be for sure.
Then, how the story in general?
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Since they done that for both Nisio and Kagami, so it isn't really surprise for ESJ to add Narita.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------



Then, how the story in general?
I wrote my impressions in my previous post. To sum it up quickly however...Good art, a bit cliched, and uneven pacing. All the sorta stuff you can expect from a WSJ first chapter. Well....a Shounen manga first chapter in general to be fair. It could get better, but I think all series should be given that chance before being trashed.

Just read iShoujo 2. Maaan I don't want to like this series but I think I do. I like how the reveal about the app was done right away rather than drag the hijinks out for a year or something. The art sort of hit a snag in some places but I guess the artist must be new? Or something. Also the teacher is badass. All in all, I came out expecting to dislike chapter 2, and while I could do with less panty shots, I still think it's charming. I guess I'll read on to three next week.
 
Last edited:

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I like crowded color pages. The more stuff going on and the more color, the better. I know absolutely nothing about Stealth Symphony's plot, but I'm looking forward to reading it on Monday solely because that color page got my attention :pleased
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
For me, I like the color page, even though it is crowded. I'm kind of interested to see the company filled with weirdos(?).

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

I wrote my impressions in my previous post. To sum it up quickly however...Good art, a bit cliched, and uneven pacing. All the sorta stuff you can expect from a WSJ first chapter. Well....a Shounen manga first chapter in general to be fair. It could get better, but I think all series should be given that chance before being trashed.
The only thing which different from other WSJ first chapter is that it didn't focus on one episode/chapter.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The only thing which different from other WSJ first chapter is that it didn't focus on one episode/chapter.
Which is true. Not sure if that helps the wonky pacing or hinders it though.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
So, you guys don't like the artwork or the story. It sounds like you guys don't like the color page, but not much about the story, itself.
The first chapter didn't make me go "whooah awesome!" but I liked it enough to actually want to try reading the next chapters. Let's see how it turns out. The end for Illegal Rare c03 was pretty nice, looking forward to c03~04.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

I wrote my impressions in my previous post. To sum it up quickly however...Good art, a bit cliched, and uneven pacing. All the sorta stuff you can expect from a WSJ first chapter. Well....a Shounen manga first chapter in general to be fair. It could get better, but I think all series should be given that chance before being trashed.

Just read iShoujo 2. Maaan I don't want to like this series but I think I do. I like how the reveal about the app was done right away rather than drag the hijinks out for a year or something. The art sort of hit a snag in some places but I guess the artist must be new? Or something. Also the teacher is badass. All in all, I came out expecting to dislike chapter 2, and while I could do with less panty shots, I still think it's charming. I guess I'll read on to three next week.
I like that teacher in I Shoujo. Those stares are scary lol. Didn't expect the secret to actually be out that fast but I think it's great. I guess the series will focus on the relationship between the characters that I still have a hard time "pin-pointing" actually. I can't see whether they don't like or like each other more... I'd say like but it's pretty ambiguous.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Speaking of SS I found it pretty funny the fact the author uses kanjis even when the verb / word isn't the focus point of the sentence and wouldn't usually be written with a kanjis. I noticed "umaku" or "itadaku". (Not that it matters much anyway since this is what is done a lot in novels and mangas...). There i also the fact those bodyguards speak in keigo :o
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
I have to admit I have been enjoying Isobe even though I cant understand it.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree about the movie and the anime volume sales are almost non existent for Toriko but it did get good ratings. It's kinda confusing, to be honest.

Toriko's high anime ratings and average movie gross + low anime volume gross is as big of a mystery as Bleach's low chapters ranks and high volume sales.
For this reason, I actually wanted to see how a 2nd Toriko movie would do.
They're running out of stock in the manga. It's possible they might be changing up the events of the end of part 1 of the manga, depending on how they handle the last 4 episodes. The Twitter uses the term 区切り which means like "break point" but can also mean "close" so it's kinda vague. Maybe it'll come back, maybe not. Either way I'd prefer a break to tons of filler waiting for the manga to get further along.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Maybe they took Stealth Symphony for ESJ because Illegal Rare was maybe a bit dark for them? I haven't read it so I'm only assuming. iShoujo is ecchi and they wouldn't take that while Tokyo Wonder Boys is sports which ESJ doesn't seem interested in. So from that point of view, Stealth Symphony seemed more suitable?

They're running out of stock in the manga. It's possible they might be changing up the events of the end of part 1 of the manga, depending on how they handle the last 4 episodes. The Twitter uses the term 区切り which means like "break point" but can also mean "close" so it's kinda vague. Maybe it'll come back, maybe not. Either way I'd prefer a break to tons of filler waiting for the manga to get further along.
Yeah. I'd assume that Toriko might comeback in a year or two. It's always a smarter move to not put out fillers and just take a break.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Come on, there are english shonen jump readers that do want to read this manga more than the others. Please be open minded and accepting of others mangas to read.
Nobody's being intolerant of Stealth Symphony fans; there'll always be fans of even the worst-performing series, not that we know for sure if Stealth Symphony will be one. We're just pointing out the potential, objective flaws we think the series may have that will threaten its survival.

Also, you can't deny Viz's extremely poor choice of series.

In ESJ's almost two-year run now, the only series Viz managed to pick to be simultaneously released in Japan and the U.S. that'd become a success is World Trigger. Meanwhile, the other three series, Bulge, Takamagahara and Cross Manage, all bombed straight away.

P.S. It blows my mind for Viz to be so reluctant for so long to release WT's volumes, and yet they were so much faster releasing volumes of all the failed series.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody's being intolerant of Stealth Symphony fans; there'll always be fans of even the worst-performing series, not that we know for sure if Stealth Symphony will be one. We're just pointing out the potential, objective flaws we think the series may have that will threaten its survival.

Also, you can't deny Viz's extremely poor choice of series.

In ESJ's almost two-year run now, the only series Viz managed to pick to be simultaneously released in Japan and the U.S. that'd become a success is World Trigger. Meanwhile, the other three series, Bulge, Takamagahara and Cross Manage, all bombed straight away.

P.S. It blows my mind for Viz to be so reluctant for so long to release WT's volumes, and yet they were so much faster releasing volumes of all the failed series.
ehhhhhhhhh I wouldn't call Cross Manage a poor choice in the long run, it's been a strong digital performer on the first few weeks of release for the 4 volumes they've done. And the monthly choices (Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End, and *shudder* Zexal appear to be working out well for them. And One-Punch Man. It's only really the WSJ titles that have had pretty bad luck for them, and those are HUGE gambles each time. The JP audience for Shonen Jump is woefully unpredictable at the best of times.

Also yeah, the WT wait is crazy long, but I recall them saying they intended to wait till it was a year in (and that'd also encourage them to do the one-shots). It's an even bigger wait than the Takama-ga-hara volumes, and they took.... about 4 months more than the JP release date? So weird to think about
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top