Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To be more precise, Inoue already decided to end Slam Dunk with the end of Sannou since he started Inter High arc. He said that he can't write the story which is more exciting than Sannou arc.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------



He mentioned about the Slam Dunk's ending on the Japanese talk show, called Top Runner, on 2000.
Now I remember you were the source.
Well, I agree with him when it comes to something more exciting than Sannou arc. There wasn't any way, indeed.

He also said that he would make a sequel anytime, right? I doubt, though.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Kurobas characters are handled much better than those in Slam Dunk. Consider the fact that at the end of the day no one barely even knew anything about the other players on the team beyond just the same five. In Kurobas, we not only spend extensive amounts of time with the GoM, but also with the associated partners and then on the teams themselves many of the other characters. This makes each game much more enriched and enjoyable. Slam Dunk never gave this impression at all. Slam Dunk may have the edge in being a bit more realistic basketball, but as an overall product that can easily be sacrificed if well done characters, excellent paced games, and enjoyable off court action is done in a well, believable, and intense manner. Slam Dunk may have been last generations highlight but for basketball series in this modern and contemporary age, Kurobas is easily the new gold standard that all future basketball series will be gauged against.
Well, everyone has different taste on manga; so, I can't really say anything back to you.

HOWEVER, even how much you tried to convince, you can't really convince other people that Kuroko is better than Slam Dunk.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

He also said that he would make a sequel anytime, right? I doubt, though.
He did mentioned that he wish to write the sequel of Slam Dunk on someday; but, it has been more than 10 years since he mentioned that. Plus, he is currently working on two series (Vagabond and Real), so I think there is really low possibility that he'll write the sequel of Slam Dunk.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Kurobas characters are handled much better than those in Slam Dunk. Consider the fact that at the end of the day no one barely even knew anything about the other players on the team beyond just the same five. In Kurobas, we not only spend extensive amounts of time with the GoM, but also with the associated partners and then on the teams themselves many of the other characters. This makes each game much more enriched and enjoyable. Slam Dunk never gave this impression at all. Slam Dunk may have the edge in being a bit more realistic basketball, but as an overall product that can easily be sacrificed if well done characters, excellent paced games, and enjoyable off court action is done in a well, believable, and intense manner. Slam Dunk may have been last generations highlight but for basketball series in this modern and contemporary age, Kurobas is easily the new gold standard that all future basketball series will be gauged against.
I... Have you even read Slam Dunk? Or more than that, have you even read Kuroko? Because I can't even begin to see how this works. Kuroko isn't a new gold standard for basketball comics. If anything it can be the new gold standard for fanworks and female fanbases, a la prince of tennis, but really until it scratches the surface of what SD accomplished, both creatively and commercially, I don't think your claim is even worth making.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I... Have you even read Slam Dunk? Or more than that, have you even read Kuroko? Because I can't even begin to see how this works. Kuroko isn't a new gold standard for basketball comics. If anything it can be the new gold standard for fanworks and female fanbases, a la prince of tennis, but really until it scratches the surface of what SD accomplished, both creatively and commercially, I don't think your claim is even worth making.
Yes after checking out Kurobas, I looked into and read all of Slam Dunk (in mid2013) and started and dropped Real. There is just a large contrast between Kurobas and Slam Dunk. Perhaps its because we read it at different times or the nostalgia effect is rather strong in this thread, but from my point of view if both Kurobas and Slam Dunk are measured at the same time, then Kurobas offers the more wholesome and superior experience. I will say Slam Dunk may beat it slightly in the art department and rules, but otherwise, the more refined writing, storytelling, and excitement is found in Kurobas. I dont know, I just love Kurobas and Haikyuu!!
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The second preview for upcoming Haikyuu!! animation:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
hm, I've read both recently and I'd say that I enjoyed more of Slam Dunk than Kuroko, but I haven't finished/caught up with either yet. I will say though, Slam Dunk has had much greater cultural influence than Kuroko, which isn't to say Kuroko has none as it is rather big, so take that as you will.
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,454
Reaction score
39,351
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Kurobas characters are handled much better than those in Slam Dunk. Consider the fact that at the end of the day no one barely even knew anything about the other players on the team beyond just the same five. In Kurobas, we not only spend extensive amounts of time with the GoM, but also with the associated partners and then on the teams themselves many of the other characters. This makes each game much more enriched and enjoyable. Slam Dunk never gave this impression at all. Slam Dunk may have the edge in being a bit more realistic basketball, but as an overall product that can easily be sacrificed if well done characters, excellent paced games, and enjoyable off court action is done in a well, believable, and intense manner. Slam Dunk may have been last generations highlight but for basketball series in this modern and contemporary age, Kurobas is easily the new gold standard that all future basketball series will be gauged against.
Wow, taste is taste, but how Kaizou said, nothing that you said can convince someone that Kuroko no Basket can even compete with Slam Dunk in quality and popularity, and seems like you not even have idea how Slam Dunk is popular and relevant even today, comparing a huge masterpiece and influent manga with other that is very good but just much popular because have a anime and that appealed for "fujoshi public" is just nonsense.

And also, nobody here is talking because have a "nostalgia feelings", and in fact, you dropped REAL, other great and popular basketball manga created by Inoue.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
in fact, you dropped REAL, other great and popular basketball manga created by Inoue.
Well, Real is more of a mixture of slice-of-life and basketball, so I think people who don't like deep realistic story may not favor this one.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
C'mon guys we all have opinions, Sharkbait just prefers Kuroko over Slam Dunk, I mean I have read SD and seen some episodes of Kuroko and they have nothing in common.. Ok, they are "Basketball" but Kuroko is like basketball with super-powers and SD is realistic basketball, it could even have been in a seinen magazine.

I kinda get some of his points, it is true that you don't see other players develop in SD, IIRC is pretty much the 5 mains and in some of the last games Megane, and maybe he just prefers to have more variety in the characters.

Some people are saying Kuroko is Fujoshi bait, I agree but that doesn't mean Slam Dunk wasn't Fujoshi bait, it was, though I gotta agree that Inoue didn't really please the fujoshis the same way Kuroko's author does.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Yes after checking out Kurobas, I looked into and read all of Slam Dunk (in mid2013) and started and dropped Real. There is just a large contrast between Kurobas and Slam Dunk. Perhaps its because we read it at different times or the nostalgia effect is rather strong in this thread, but from my point of view if both Kurobas and Slam Dunk are measured at the same time, then Kurobas offers the more wholesome and superior experience. I will say Slam Dunk may beat it slightly in the art department and rules, but otherwise, the more refined writing, storytelling, and excitement is found in Kurobas. I dont know, I just love Kurobas and Haikyuu!!
I'm not much of one for nostalgia, really. Heck, I didn't even come to Slam Dunk until Viz started doing it. Don't get me wrong, I like both titles, but I can't even see how you'd describe Kuroko's writing as refined. It's become something excellent by now, but that title was ROUGH for a good chunk of its pre-anime life. It took a sizable reinvention visually to appeal to its current audience, along with some clever pandering.

Still, don't let me affect your opinion, as it seems better informed than, say, your Stealth Symphony pre-release favouritism, and yeah, both Kuroko and High Kyuu!! are good comics worthy of love, I just don't see how Kuroko could hold a candle to what is, with good reason, considered one of the masterpieces of the shonen demographic, and one of the most successful comics of all time.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The one in Tokyo Wonder Boys with the reddish hair reminds me of Rin from Free! Like.

Stealth Symphony looks fantastic litrally like a great painting even.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,403
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
From the preview TWB seems so epical!!I hope it go well.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

What this say about World trigger?https://twitter.com/W_Trigger_off
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm more surprised about the fact that people still argue with Sharkbait about taste.

TWB's art looks interesting. All three color pages (the cover, the page, and the spread) look different.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
They are using Adidas so openly in TWB, on the jerseys, shoes and even the official balls. The placement of the brand's name is so apparent. They probably got the rights to use the brand's name.
Amazing artwork though, irrespective of how "pretty" the characters look.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
who was the artist of TWB again? Looks like another bishoujo series with hit potential. somehow i wish for older series like gintama and bleach to end to make more room for these incredible new series in this batch. all of them look promising to me, too bad not all of them will make the cut.
 

taker2

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 1, 2013
Messages
37
Reaction score
18
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Kaizou 10 did you read illegal rare chapter 4 and stealth symphony chapter 2? If yes, then how were they?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top