Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Kaizou 10 did you read illegal rare chapter 4 and stealth symphony chapter 2? If yes, then how were they?
Yes, I did.

IR is so-so and SS is pretty good.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It is not bad; the artwork is very good, though.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
who was the artist of TWB again? Looks like another bishoujo series with hit potential. somehow i wish for older series like gintama and bleach to end to make more room for these incredible new series in this batch. all of them look promising to me, too bad not all of them will make the cut.
Gintama won't end.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Well Gintama won't ever be forced to end. Sorachi could probably end it whenever he felt like it.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Well Gintama won't ever be forced to end. Sorachi could probably end it whenever he felt like it.
Basically yeah. Once the anime comes back (And it will be back.) the manga will be safe for another year or two. Although I have no idea when he will, the series is at a juncture where the next serious arc could be the last. Though every time the Gorilla is interviewed his answer to when Gintama will end sort of changes so who knows?

Gintama won't end.
At least not soon anyway. A part of me wants it to go out on a high note and not end up fading in to obscurity, but the Gorilla seems to still know what he's doing writing wise so I guess things are fine for now.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm more surprised about the fact that people still argue with Sharkbait about taste.

TWB's art looks interesting. All three color pages (the cover, the page, and the spread) look different.
Whats that supposed to even mean?

If you're talking about this one, I think it's announcing a promo in which you get a copy of a digital fanbook "World Trigger: Hidden World" with the purchase of WT volume 3 at the Jump Bookstore.
I hope this is just one step closer to getting a novelization for World Trigger. I could imagine some nice stories to be told regarding those of the upper echelon of Border agents and even the leadership command. Yuma's dad additionally.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Just finished reading I Shoujo c03, and I must say I didn't expect to already see the relationship between the two opening characters to get resolved that fast. I liked that chapter though and for once no ecchi at all :super

If the characters are limited to the ones seen on the color spread then the series won't last long...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Just finished reading I Shoujo c03, and I must say I didn't expect to already see the relationship between the two opening characters to get resolved that fast. I liked that chapter though and for once no ecchi at all :super

If the characters are limited to the ones seen on the color spread then the series won't last long...
Maybe it is just a short series then.
With Iron Knight most likely ending next week, and this possibly being a short series I wonder what other new series Jump has ready to start.
Hopefully Hunter x Hunter returns soon. This has been the longest hiatus yet now.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Maybe it is just a short series then.
With Iron Knight most likely ending next week, and this possibly being a short series I wonder what other new series Jump has ready to start.
Hopefully Hunter x Hunter returns soon. This has been the longest hiatus yet now.
It remind me that sentence was actually at the beginning of ch12 and said by Teppei to his opponent, so I wonder...

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Maybe it is just a short series then.
With Iron Knight most likely ending next week, and this possibly being a short series I wonder what other new series Jump has ready to start.
Hopefully Hunter x Hunter returns soon. This has been the longest hiatus yet now.
Hope so too, I actually started re-reading the manga seeing how the palace invasion in anime is awesome... The animation and the translations too in simulcast...
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Maybe it is just a short series then.
With Iron Knight most likely ending next week, and this possibly being a short series I wonder what other new series Jump has ready to start.
I Shoujo is not a mini-series; it is omnibus series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I Shoujo is not a mini-series; it is omnibus series.
...When did I claim it wasn't an omnibus? I was replying to Vinceled on how he thinks the series might not be very long.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
...When did I claim it wasn't an omnibus? I was replying to Vinceled on how he thinks the series might not be very long.
Yeah, well if it's a repeat of 3-5 chapters with characters changing between these "arcs" I don't know it'll interests readers much (just my opinion) though I really like the series and I want it to succeed. I don't read TWB but out of the three other new series I shoujo is my favorite before Stealth Symphony and Illegal Rare (which went full blown comedy this chapter...)
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, well if it's a repeat of 3-5 chapters with characters changing between these "arcs" I don't know it'll interests readers much (just my opinion) though I really like the series and I want it to succeed.
Well, I think the first arc finished rather fast because the page length is much longer than usual. Since it'll be normal weekly chapter length, I think each arc going to take longer than 3-5 chapters.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Just read first chapter of Tokyo wonder boys,and I have to say that it's fantastic in all aspects,if it go well,it could become really popular
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Intentionally or unintentionally? I quit reading the raws since RedHawkScans picked it up.
Intentionally but next chapter things should get back to being serious. Also Mr Shiibashi is now using tones regularly like most other series do in his art (thought it might interest some people).
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I read iShoujo and SS this week. I figured that this is what iShoujo would do...so it seems we'll get a new couple for each 'arc'. I think that's a refreshing way of tackling the genre, and at least we aren't stuck with annoying characters for too long if they turn out to be that way. Of course the down side is if we get likable characters like the two in this 'arc' then we have to say good bye to them one the arc is over. The app itself seems to insinuate that we won't see them again, but I'd be surprised if Takayama doesn't revisit the two. (I certainly hope he does.) Though this feels like a Shounen Sunday or Magazine series to me which doesn't bode well for it's future in Jump. I'm surprised that they resolved things in three chapters, and I agree with vinceled that it was nice that there was no panty shots. I do think the pacing is a little fast though. Hopefully with normal page counts the author can pace things a little better.

SS was a little better this time around. I'm still hesitant to call it 'Jump's next best thing' though. It still feels too much like it's treading ground that other Jump --no, other Shounen have covered and much better. Still it's only chapter two, and I do think it was a big improvement over the first. The main character still comes off as rather generic though, and it feels like the series could go on (and maybe even be better.) without him. Of course there are series with crappy protagonists that more than make up for it with engaging stories and better side characters though. So I'm hoping that at worst SS is one of those. The Fairy Tail-ish 'Guilds' and 'rankings' are kind of cool. Still don't really like the color art work at all though.

I hate to say it but I actually care about jump a little now. I probably won't read Tokyo Wonder Boys since I dislike sports series, but the art is pretty good in color and in BW.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Intentionally but next chapter things should get back to being serious. Also Mr Shiibashi is now using tones regularly like most other series do in his art (thought it might interest some people).
Well that's a good thing in my opinion. As long as it shifts naturally from serious to comedic. Might help it in the rankings as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top