Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Um, I think ANY magazine is a loss. Don't confuse the purpose of the magazine for the publishers. They don't publish the anthologies with profits in mind.
I would be shocked if Aria is published at a loss after that 500% increase in print run in 2013.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So you're saying Kodansha and Shogakukan operated with a loss this year, while Shueisha hasn't? What is that based on, really? The three "main" publishers aren't ONLY in the manga business after all, you know?

But as far as their manga imprints, I have no idea, honestly. The other two seem to do decently without being as cutthroat as Shueisha is with WSJ.
I didn't say that, I said that I don't have information about their actual profits/losses. I'm comparing them based on how many series make success. WSJ system of less series in the magazine seems more efficient because they manage to make more successes with less quantity of series.

You said that they don't have profit in mind when they publish a magazine, but it is contraditory with the purpose of any business. Who makes a business without have profit in mind?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I would be shocked if Aria is published at a loss after that 500% increase in print run in 2013.
Like I said before, I think to assume ANY manga anthology turns a profit, borders on wishful thinking.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I didn't say that, I said that I don't have information about their actual profits/losses. I'm comparing them based on how many series make success. WSJ system of less series in the magazine seems more efficient because they manage to make more successes with less quantity of series.
Well okay, but it isn't just limited to those three magazines either, of course.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Like I said before, I think to assume ANY manga anthology turns a profit, borders on wishful thinking.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------



Well okay, but it isn't just limited to those three magazines either, of course.
Maybe it is true that the magazines themselves don't make profit, but all the products created as a result of them make profit. Therefore, they make profit indirectly.

Yes, but I made the comparison with them because they are mentioned previously.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Maybe it is true that the magazines themselves don't make profit, but all the products created as a result of them make profit. Therefore, they make profit indirectly.

Yes, but I made the comparison with them because they are mentioned previously.
Well, that's pretty obvious, I think. They're advertisements for the series in them, not much else, really.

Well, okay. But if we're talking about the publishers as a whole, it's important to consider other things than just the three shounen weeklies. :nod
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
A question does come to my mind, now that Jump has cancelled 3 higher profile manga in less than 2 years and switched them for what seems to be more successful manga ATM, maybe it does mean that Jump is getting way to crowded with amazingly god series and any kind of a serialization is like jumping to a shark swarming pool.
This kinda beats the saying that Jump wants to promote newer authors when the competition is so strong that if an author doesn't make a hit from chapter 1 he's pretty much screwed. The bottom 5 won't be canceled this time since it's Gintama and Bleach and anything higher doesn't have a good reason to be cancelled and is highly successful and blooming.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The bottom 5 won't be canceled this time since it's Gintama and Bleach and anything higher doesn't have a good reason to be cancelled and is highly successful and blooming.
Gintama and Bleach may not be cancelled; but, there is high possibility for Soul Catcher(S).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A question does come to my mind, now that Jump has cancelled 3 higher profile manga in less than 2 years and switched them for what seems to be more successful manga ATM, maybe it does mean that Jump is getting way to crowded with amazingly god series and any kind of a serialization is like jumping to a shark swarming pool.
This kinda beats the saying that Jump wants to promote newer authors when the competition is so strong that if an author doesn't make a hit from chapter 1 he's pretty much screwed. The bottom 5 won't be canceled this time since it's Gintama and Bleach and anything higher doesn't have a good reason to be cancelled and is highly successful and blooming.
No chance for series to be moved to other magazines?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
No chance for series to be moved to other magazines?
Well, I don't think Jump willing to move series to other magazine just because they don't want to get axed. I think Jump needs some kind of special reason for moving to different magazine.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
A question does come to my mind, now that Jump has cancelled 3 higher profile manga in less than 2 years and switched them for what seems to be more successful manga ATM, maybe it does mean that Jump is getting way to crowded with amazingly god series and any kind of a serialization is like jumping to a shark swarming pool.
This kinda beats the saying that Jump wants to promote newer authors when the competition is so strong that if an author doesn't make a hit from chapter 1 he's pretty much screwed. The bottom 5 won't be canceled this time since it's Gintama and Bleach and anything higher doesn't have a good reason to be cancelled and is highly successful and blooming.
That might actually why why WSJ introduced Jump Live and will have Jump NEXT! as a bimonthly magazine from now on. To give a chance to artists getting known even if they're only published online before coming back or getting serialized in the magazine itself once an opportunity comes.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haikyuu!! sounds and looks better and better each time, new CM from earlier today after magi.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

suntaclaus

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The last week's episode of Sakiyomi JumBang (I forgot to upload it); it focuses on Saikyou Jump.
[video]http://www.nosub.tv/watch/96139.html[/video]

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Shounen Jump March Calendar:
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
At first glance almost thought the AssClass one was a Food Wars one, almost missed the Korosensei in it.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
The last week's episode of Sakiyomi JumBang (I forgot to upload it); it focuses on Saikyou Jump.
[video]http://www.nosub.tv/watch/96139.html[/video]

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Shounen Jump March Calendar:
Oh man, so nice to see Saikyo Jump getting focus. It's a tidy anthology, and a great gateway comic mag for kids. Well that and the comics are super easy to read so it's great for learners (e.g. me),
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Oh man, so nice to see Saikyo Jump getting focus. It's a tidy anthology, and a great gateway comic mag for kids. Well that and the comics are super easy to read so it's great for learners (e.g. me),
Sakiyomi JumBang sometimes focuses on Saikyou Jump; so, I think it is pretty normal.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Sakiyomi JumBang sometimes focuses on Saikyou Jump; so, I think it is pretty normal.
True this, I think it happens like 2 or 3 times every 10 chapters
Besides, Saripai even has a serialization in Saikyou Jump so that itself gives plenty of reasons
I want to see if they'll do one program focusing on our new 4 series like what happened with Isobe/Hachi/Cupid some months ago, they usually let you know some really interesting facts of the series when that happens
 

kobester11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
148
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
It kinda sucks Ishoujo is not being scanlated. For an ecchi series, the pacing is kinda good. Plus, the heroine is veeeeeeeerry likeable! Much prefer this one than her version in the oneshot. I maybe bias since I love ponytails xD

Where does HQ premieres btw? At MBS or tokyo terebi?
 

Netorare

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2012
Messages
225
Reaction score
260
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
It kinda sucks Ishoujo is not being scanlated. For an ecchi series, the pacing is kinda good. Plus, the heroine is veeeeeeeerry likeable! Much prefer this one than her version in the oneshot. I maybe bias since I love ponytails xD
Renzokusei Scans will scanlate iShoujo
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Author comments for #14, and world trigger interview next week (no all you need is kill).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top