Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I have a somewhat specific question related to toc placements.

What were the last manga that ended, placed within the bottom 5 consistently AND sold over 400,000 units per volume?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
What were the last manga that ended, placed within the bottom 5 consistently AND sold over 400,000 units per volume?
I believe there isn't since 2008 (not sure about before).
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Which manga was that?
Actually, I started following manga since 2008, so I'm not sure there is before 2007 (plus, I don't know how the ToC was like before 2008).
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Actually, I started following manga since 2008, so I'm not sure there is before 2007 (plus, I don't know how the ToC was like before 2008).
So from 2008, you can't think of any manga which fit that criteria?
ended
consistently in bottom 5
sold over 400,000 units
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Actually, I started following manga since 2008, so I'm not sure there is before 2007 (plus, I don't know how the ToC was like before 2008).
If you add that Oricon is a rather recent thing there's not much we can know about the older mangas
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
So from 2008, you can't think of any manga which fit that criteria?
ended
consistently in bottom 5
sold over 400,000 units
I don't think there is any since 2008.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I don't think there is any since 2008.
If not that then maybe the highest selling ones which ended, and consistently placed in the bottom 5?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
If not that then maybe the highest selling ones which ended, and consistently placed in the bottom 5?
I believe Eyeshield 21. It dropped to bottom 5 when it started the World Competition arc; but, it still able to sell over 20k.

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

If you add that Oricon is a rather recent thing there's not much we can know about the older mangas
However, we can still find out the total number of copies printed for the past series; so, we can able to estimate the per volume sale (or copy) with that.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I believe Eyeshield 21. It dropped to bottom 5 when it started the World Competition arc; but, it still able to sell over 20k.
I'm guessing you mean 200k.
And looking up Beelzebub, it fell short of 200k.

Let me know if you can find any others.
I'm curious to know of any other series that were like how Bleach is now.

I know HxH moves volumes exceptionally well for a bottom dweller, but it's just in hiatus, it didn't end.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm curious to know of any other series that were like how Bleach is now.
Bleach is one of rare case in Jump. The other series which was constantly in bottom 5 but didn't get cancelled was Stone Ocean (part 6 of Jojo); but, I don't really know how it sold.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I don't know if Reborn would fit in this category...
Fits my criteria. It placed badly, ended, and I see the last volume selling around 350k.
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So from 2008, you can't think of any manga which fit that criteria?
ended
consistently in bottom 5
sold over 400,000 units
DGM was selling that much when it was moved, I don't know how well it was polling though.
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
DGM was selling that much when it was moved, I don't know how well it was polling though.
DGM was around the bottom 5 for its last chapters in WSJ
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm guessing you mean 200k.
And looking up Beelzebub, it fell short of 200k.

Let me know if you can find any others.
I'm curious to know of any other series that were like how Bleach is now.

I know HxH moves volumes exceptionally well for a bottom dweller, but it's just in hiatus, it didn't end.
Yeah, based on sales HxH sales as much as Naruto. When Vol.32 was released it had almost the same sales as Naruto in the first two weeks if I remember well (Around 1 million units sold). And I think that's the main reason the series can have so many hiatuses.

There we go, I found the sales for the second week for volume 32 of HxH :
24. Naruto #63 (28,081 / 1,025,294)
31. Hunter X Hunter #32 (24,706 / 1,028,124)
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
DGM was around the bottom 5 for its last chapters in WSJ
D.Gray-man was a bottom dweller for at least a year before it moved to Jump SQ. Actually, scratch that, at least a year and a half. But D.Gray-man's popularity (or at least, I remember from the discussions of that time) barely overlapped with the rest of Shonen Jump. Like, I remember it always selling exceptionally well despite its rankings, hence why it got moved to SQ (coupled with the fact that the author gets sick a lot, and couldn't keep up with the weekly schedule). It wasn't even a sequel, it just continued in the other magazine like normal. So I don't think its a good comparison to Bleach's situation.
 
Last edited:

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
So from 2008, you can't think of any manga which fit that criteria?
ended
consistently in bottom 5
sold over 400,000 units
Didn't see if it was mentioned: Nurarihyon, but it was selling 250-300 before going out of the charts. But volume 19 and 20 I remember seeing them in top 100 volumes for the first half of 2012 with nearly 350,000.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Didn't see if it was mentioned: Nurarihyon, but it was selling 250-300 before going out of the charts. But volume 19 and 20 I remember seeing them in top 100 volumes for the first half of 2012 with nearly 350,000.
I'm not sure if that is good example. I think zogobob is trying to look at the series which had similar situation as Bleach; for Nurarihyon, it is one of popular series, but not as much as Bleach.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm not sure if that is good example. I think zogobob is trying to look at the series which had similar situation as Bleach; for Nurarihyon, it is one of popular series, but not as much as Bleach.
I don't think there are series that have had the exact same reach, or influence as Bleach. I don't know how much it was selling back during the Arrancar and Aizen arc but the series in itself is one of the best known WSJ title in the World at the same rate as Naruto, One Piece or HxH.

Sure sales for the series declined but I don't think it's in immediate danger but it's certain that if this continues the editors will push it around to the exit even faster. I mean putting aside OP and Naruto, the only series in Jump that sells more than 400,000 units is Ansatsu Kyoushitsu.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top